Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everton Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Johnmb wrote: »
    Yeah, results as such aren't a big issue during the rebuild, but team selections are. He finally came across a selection that could both keep a clean sheet and score goals, and for the next match, instead of trying to build on that success, he made 7 changes, none of which were actually necessary. That makes me doubt he knows what he is up to. At this stage of the season he really has no excuse not to know what his best team is. I can forgive his best team not being good enough to win matches, but I can't forgive still making that many changes between two matches (not due to suspensions and/or injuries) at this stage of the season...

I completely understand the team changes. He needs to give playing time to Lookman and Bernard. Tosun scores at the weekend so gets another chance. Dowell needs the experience. It was probably agreed that Stekelenburg got the cup games.

It’s the league cup. Forget it and move on. It’s a poxy competition at the end of the day, worth feck all unless you win it and then it’s a place in the Europa league. We’ve more chance of getting that with a league finish than winning he league cup right now.

I still have faith in Silva, I’ve seen glimmers of what he’s trying to do with the team and it’ll click soon IMO.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Brian? wrote: »
    I completely understand the team changes. He needs to give playing time to Lookman and Bernard. Tosun scores at the weekend so gets another chance. Dowell needs the experience. It was probably agreed that Stekelenburg got the cup games.

It’s the league cup. Forget it and move on. It’s a poxy competition at the end of the day, worth feck all unless you win it and then it’s a place in the Europa league. We’ve more chance of getting that with a league finish than winning he league cup right now.

I still have faith in Silva, I’ve seen glimmers of what he’s trying to do with the team and it’ll click soon IMO.

With a trophy cabinet as bare as ours, nothing is a poxy competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭wally79

In better news Usmanov is dropping hints

He apparently said “Everton is still far from where it should be. We will also help him. And how. This is my friend’s club.”

“I could become a stakeholder “

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

He didn't need to make all those changes in a single match. If we are to have consistency, he needs to limit the changes from match to match.
    And for a team that was capable of challenging for the League, and in a European competition, that argument might make sense. Everton are not in either position. Any cup is a big deal to a club which is about to set a new internal record for the longest stretch in its history of not winning anything.
    It'll never click if he doesn't give the team a chance to settle. 7 unforced changes between two matches isn't going to achieve anything...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

wally79 wrote: »
    In better news Usmanov is dropping hints

He apparently said “Everton is still far from where it should be. We will also help him. And how. This is my friend’s club.”

“I could become a stakeholder “

please , if he does , we really can progress -

ps after the Big Sam anti-football charade , to loose faith with Silva after a few games is just nuts. we lost on penalties with a weakened team , against a reasonable premiership team , this season will have many false dawns and losses , unless Usmanov comes on board soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Mario Silva has my full backing and confidence, tonight didn't work out, keeper's fault, other than that tonight's team was capable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Everton have never won this competition

in 50 years of trying. It'd be nice to try and win something. Even Bobby brown shoes took the cups seriously as he knew it was Everton's best chance of silverware

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

thebaz wrote: »
    we lost on penalties with a weakened team.
    That's why my confidence in him is shaken, it was a weakened team because he made it a weakened team. If he's not going to bother trying to seriously win matches, and ruining a run after one game without giving the players a chance to further gel, then what chance do we have of progressing? Like I said, the result is not what I have an issue with, it's the fact that the manager intentionally, and unnecessarily, destroyed any momentum at the first opportunity of asking, by putting in a weakened team via seven changes, for no reason that causes me to lose faith...

That's why my confidence in him is shaken, it was a weakened team because he made it a weakened team. If he's not going to bother trying to seriously win matches, and ruining a run after one game without giving the players a chance to further gel, then what chance do we have of progressing? Like I said, the result is not what I have an issue with, it's the fact that the manager intentionally, and unnecessarily, destroyed any momentum at the first opportunity of asking, by putting in a weakened team via seven changes, for no reason that causes me to lose faith...

in fairness , nearly every premiership team plays weakened teams in this competition , until the semis , thats the value of the competition - besides after only a few games , and the backwards steps made last year , you need to give any new manager at least half a season to create a new positive system ; I have no problem him trying out new combos in this competition - as long as we are not relegated this season, and I see proper progress after Christmas - and the new stadium actually being built - I'd be happy.

****e competition that no team would enter given the choice.

Would prefer Everton build than focus on probably the most worthless trophy

Manager played fringe players because he felt same

• Advertisement

Great to get an away win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Deserved the win today but still plenty of crap defending on show - got away with most of it!

What a turn and shot by Sigurdsson though!

Siggy looks much more at home as a 10 - great goal - theis years signing , at an early stage look much better value than last year Walshs signings - with Mita still to come through - Bernard, Digne and Richarlison look quality - Walcott, Bernard and Richarlison give us a decent attack - still need a quality striker - Caleven lewis is not that , give Lookman another chance - and if that fails , get a top quality stirker for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Another 3 important points yesterday. Everton have some nasty fixtures coming up so more points in the board were important. Gomes was ok for his debut. I think Keane and Zouma have linked well and Mina might not automatically get into that defense. Hard fought win. Pickford penalty save changed the game as Palace ran out of steam after that. Fair play again to Silva and his substitutions, three positive subs that yielded 2 goals and 1 assist.

Lumbo wrote: »
    Another 3 important points yesterday. Everton have some nasty fixtures coming up so more points in the board were important. Gomes was ok for his debut. I think Keane and Zouma have linked well and Mina might not automatically get into that defense. Hard fought win. Pickford penalty save changed the game as Palace ran out of steam after that. Fair play again to Silva and his substitutions, three positive subs that yielded 2 goals and 1 assist.

Agree with all that.

I was a little disappointed in Bernard though. His decision making was poor a couple of times. He had an easy chance to play Walcott in Anne over ran the ball instead. I think he’s classy but rusty.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Agree with all that.

I was a little disappointed in Bernard though. His decision making was poor a couple of times. He had an easy chance to play Walcott in Anne over ran the ball instead. I think he’s classy but rusty.

Yeah thought he was poor and so was Walcott. Think lookman deserves more mins after his impressive cameo yesterday. Maybe tosun back up top and richarlison back to the wing. Squad looks stronger though

I thought Gomes looked the business to be honest. Strong runner and good on the ball. Always looked for the positive pass.

There's a shape developing to the squad.

Still think we're a weak up front though.

lawred2 wrote: »
    I thought Gomes looked the business to be honest. Strong runner and good on the ball. Always looked for the positive pass.

There's a shape developing to the squad.

Still think we're a weak up front though.

Gomes looks like everything Schneiderlin was supposed to be.

they/them/theirs

Gomes looks like everything Schneiderlin was supposed to be.

Was disappointed to read that he's only on loan..

lawred2 wrote: »
    Was disappointed to read that he's only on loan..

I don’t think Barca want him so could probably buy if works out for all involved

• Advertisement

certainly seem to be making progress - squad finally looking strong - still think we need a top class striker - but after last season muck , think we are finally heading in the right direction - by no means the finished article , and ther will be plenty of bumps on the road. outlook a lot more positive than 12 months ago.

United are there for the taking this weekend if we can finish the chances we had like v arsenal.

Started reasonably well without being great. Gomes should have scored but then almost gave up a poor goal to Mata.

United are there for the talking but I've seen Everton too many times in this situation. Playing reasonably well but always one soft goal away from folding

Ah there it is

A dive and a bad call. Clear touch on the ball from Gana.

A John Moss home town special. Martial lucky not to be booked.

Unlucky Pickford.

Where is the video referee in the premier league?

Goal started with Walcott losing the ball cheaply after Sigi had done brilliantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Why would Martial be booked? There was obvious contact

Why would Martial be booked? There was obvious contact

Ah ffs he stepped out of it and then threw himself to the ground a step later.

Either way, Gana did clearly touch the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Gana got a touch on the ball and Martial threw himself on the ground in response - the obvious conclusion is a penalty to United, well done ref!

Gana got a touch on the ball and Martial threw himself on the ground in response - the obvious conclusion is a penalty to United, well done ref!

Super tackle and a dive. Will martial get banned like niasse did?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dubrov

Thought we played better than last week even though we lost.
    Nothing between the teams and it came down to a few moments.
    The ref gave us nothing as well with the dodgy peno and not giving a second yellow to Smalling for our peno.

Tough fixtures ahead

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

So the Everton players leg didn't catch Martial then?

Cos from where I'm sitting the Everton players leg caught Martial.

Advertisement