Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round? - 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Played the Baltray minor cup today.

Didn't get a score in. Two groups on the tee waiting on a very slow group ahead, my ball landed just ahead of my playing partners but was nowhere to be found and the group behind were tee'ing off.

Dropped a ball where I thought it would be,hacked out and got up and down for par just for the card.

49F and 41B counting the drop par that doesn't count.
    Had a 7 on a par4 and an 8 on a par5 on the front 9. 6 pars.

Drove the ball really well my irons just sucked. Nearly drove the 4th and 14th.

Stuck one in the scrub from a 280yd drive in the middle of the fairway on the 9th and that about sums it up. When I got a good iron after a drive I par'd the hole.

Highlights
    Made par on the monster index 1 465yd par4

Lowlights
    3 balls down and no score i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭benny79

Came 3rd in the Captain's prize at my new club thats 2 years in a row now but least I got a descent prize this time Cleveland 60g wedge! Now if I could just find the instructions on how to use it! :D

This is one that got away stitched the par 3, 4th a hole I really struggle with 180yds over a river. Left myself 44 inches to the flag. One of my playing partners told me to measure it as its NP. So I did but picked up my ball after I measured it to put the tape back and never marked my ball! So called a penalty on myself (turns out it was the NP for the women's :rolleyes:) . Sank the putt for a 2 so least it took the sting out a bit cause I would of bit your hand off for par on the Tee. Put it out off my mind and was really playing some nice golf best Ive played in quite a while! got a good bit of luck nice bounces etc was actually thinking the gods are shining and today might be my day!

Then came the 17th index 1 dog leg right its 235 yds to carry the river. Since I have my new 3 wood & driver Ive being over hitting it off the whites with my 3 wood into the trees I used to struggle with my old driver to make it never mind my 3 wood. fairway is like a 90 deg angle from the tee with river running all along it. So was saying its definitely driver off the blues. Playing partner who is off 4 went first and over hit his driver. So I stood up hit mine but half arsed hit it.. As I was thinking of his shot instead of fully committing.. looked tight in the air. Lads taught they seen it bounce. but it didnt.. :( had to drop at river shanked that shot into the river dropped again and took a 8! I lost the Captains by 2 shots...

But I broke 90 for the first time at my new club off blues too which its a monster off and finally got my first cut! Confidence is high again.. Had a great day met a good few member's at the dinner after and am severally hung over today. So all's good.

I have done something stupid in nearly every Captains day i've played in.. Ha..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Where is new club??

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Where is new club??

Kilkea castle

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭princess poppy

benny79 wrote: »
    Came 3rd in the Captain's prize at my new club thats 2 years in a row now but least I got a descent prize this time Cleveland 60g wedge! Now if I could just find the instructions on how to use it! :D

This is one that got away stitched the par 3, 4th a hole I really struggle with 180yds over a river. Left myself 44 inches to the flag. One of my playing partners told me to measure it as its NP. So I did but picked up my ball after I measured it to put the tape back and never marked my ball! So called a penalty on myself (turns out it was the NP for the women's :rolleyes:) . Sank the putt for a 2 so least it took the sting out a bit cause I would of bit your hand off for par on the Tee. Put it out off my mind and was really playing some nice golf best Ive played in quite a while! got a good bit of luck nice bounces etc was actually thinking the gods are shining and today might be my day!

Then came the 17th index 1 dog leg right its 235 yds to carry the river. Since I have my new 3 wood & driver Ive being over hitting it off the whites with my 3 wood into the trees I used to struggle with my old driver to make it never mind my 3 wood. fairway is like a 90 deg angle from the tee with river running all along it. So was saying its definitely driver off the blues. Playing partner who is off 4 went first and over hit his driver. So I stood up hit mine but half arsed hit it.. As I was thinking of his shot instead of fully committing.. looked tight in the air. Lads taught they seen it bounce. but it didnt.. :( had to drop at river shanked that shot into the river dropped again and took a 8! I lost the Captains by 2 shots...

But I broke 90 for the first time at my new club off blues too which its a monster off and finally got my first cut! Confidence is high again.. Had a great day met a good few member's at the dinner after and am severally hung over today. So all's good.

I have done something stupid in nearly every Captains day i've played in.. Ha..

Money on you for tomorrow so Captain Benny ??

• Advertisement

Money on you for tomorrow so Captain Benny ??

Ha and another 3rd! always the bridesmaid ..lol.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Undoubtedly, the greatest weekend of golf I've had.

Junior Cup Semi finals in Greenore. We scraped through against Waterford with a massive turnaround in the final game after being 2down with 3 to go to win 3-2.

Other finalists were The Island who had comfortably won their semi final so against very good opposition.

We all played the golf of our lives and won overall 5-0. I had a shaky start but managed to turn it around in the end to win on the last. I wasn't up at any point in the match until the end.

First time the club has ever won a Junior Cup and roll on the All Ireland finals now in Westport!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

I had a good and bad weekend on the course, I play off 16 and I had 5 pars, 3 bogies and one double for my front 9, I was on fire.

Then came the back 9....

I really felt the pressure of a great front 9 going to the 10th....

I so badly wanted to keep it going it all fell apart...

Long story short I shot 14 over on the back 9 with 4 lost balls.

19 over... Other days I'd be not so sad at this but it was hard to take after the front 9...

Still good fun tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

Shot 1 over, got soaked, won the open championship

Thanks
    Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

galwayllm wrote: »
    I had a good and bad weekend on the course, I play off 16 and I had 5 pars, 3 bogies and one double for my front 9, I was on fire.

Then came the back 9....

I really felt the pressure of a great front 9 going to the 10th....

I so badly wanted to keep it going it all fell apart...

Long story short I shot 14 over on the back 9 with 4 lost balls.

19 over... Other days I'd be not so sad at this but it was hard to take after the front 9...

Still good fun tho.

A little advice...try not looking at your score after 9(feel free to tell your partners you don't want to know your score no one will be offended by it). You'll generally know if you're going well, theres no need to know exactly how well.

Best to try just carry on & not think about your score as it just changes your focus from playing golf

• Advertisement

A little advice...try not looking at your score after 9(feel free to tell your partners you don't want to know your score no one will be offended by it). You'll generally know if you're going well, theres no need to know exactly how well.

Best to try just carry on & not think about your score as it just changes your focus from playing golf

This is great advise and something I never considered, and I go forward using this method.

I really did feel the pressure ramp up after 9 and knowing I was going brilliant... It all got to much for me.

Thanks for the advice, very much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

galwayllm wrote: »
    This is great advise and something I never considered, and I go forward using this method.

I really did feel the pressure ramp up after 9 and knowing I was going brilliant... It all got to much for me.

Thanks for the advice, very much appreciated
    No worries, its advise I picked up from a Karl Morris golf psychology session which was really good, and have been guilty of the exact same thing myself on a number of occasions.

Well played though, front 9 shows your potential, so theres a good score on the way I'd say!

No worries, its advise I picked up from a Karl Morris golf psychology session which was really good, and have been guilty of the exact same thing myself on a number of occasions.

Well played though, front 9 shows your potential, so theres a good score on the way I'd say!

Well thank you, and hopefully so. I got my first ever lesson almost 40 mths ago and something has just clicked in the past 6 or so months.

Can't get enough of the game, the many many hours on the chipping and putting greens is paying off

I do this all the time! best bit of advice I was ever given in golf!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

3rd in club medal (strokes).

Started with 5 bogeys in a row. (Just missing greens and failing to get up and down)
    Then went level par for next 13 holes.

No three putts and nothing worse than bogey which is a level of consistency I don't normally hit.

5 over gross and a .8 cut has me back to playing off 8 again.

Had a makeable eagle putt on 12 and birdy putt on the notorious 18th that would have been nice a bonus had they dropped. They didn't.

2 birds
    9 pars
    7 bogeys (5 out of 7 in the first 5 holes)

Disappointing day yesterday 26pts in presidents qualifier, a few positives but alot of negatives. Started well with 9pts thru 3 and after a good drive on 4th miss the green and queue first 3 putt. Followed by 2 more. Finished front 9 with 11. A more respectable 16 on back 9, but a strong finish par,bogey,par, bogey. Very annoyed after a good start just starting swinging faster and couldn't get back to a good swing tempo untill it was too late. Lesson on Thursday so hope to work on pre shot routine to keep me a bit more in control.

AAoHuVf.png

Still struggling with hosel/heel strikes and it's ruining some decent golf.

I got a mini lesson after the first round and now I just need to work on it more.

It's not instantly fixing the strikes, I'm still aiming for toe but every few shots I'll actually catch one off the toe so I have a little hope at least.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Played with the society on Saturday in Castleknock, have only played the course once before so was unsure of a good few of the holes.
    Not a great drive on the first was followed but hitting two shots OOB right, replica on the second - terrible drive and hacked two more OOB left. 2 scratches.
    Managed a half decent tee shot on next par 3 but into a bunker. Didn't get up and down, bogie.
    OK drive on next par 4, index 2 but tough green to hit so i laid up to a distance i love and chipped to about 2 foot of the pin. For the first time i actually ran up to the green and had a look at where i needed to hit the ball and it worked!!
    This kinda spurred me on a bit and only for a few sloppy shots I finished the front 9 ok with 2 more pars and 15 points.

Back 9, stupid mistake on the par 5, 10th resulted in a double, ball over the green into water on the next par 3 meant another double, then a par, double, bogie, triple, double, bogie and par finished the mixed bag of rubbish which is my golf at the moment! Lesson tonight so hopefully the start of something better.

5 pars
    4 bogies
    6 doubles
    3 scratches

Must say the course was in great condition and i'd highly recommend you getting a round in there. Great mix of holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭blue note

Played my second round at the weekend in just under 5 years. I played 9 a year ago for full disclosure! I think I may have caught the bug again! Hard to not want to go out again this weekend and try to get some consistency back! I was surprised at how not bad I was. I had a fair few lost balls, some incredibly bad putts, but still managed about 10 pars and a birdie between the two rounds (used to play off 11). So it was encouraging.

I played the first round in City West and was so impressed by the value there. Really good course for the money they're charging. But I played the second in corballis. I was blown away. What a great course and they're charging practically nothing for it! €300 for a years pay and pay membership is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Been feeling like it was beginning to click into place the last while,but some stupid scratches, at various times

My work society played Castleknock yesterday, 14 points on the way out, 21 on the way back in. Some nice short par 4s what i'm used to in Knightsbrook. Course was in great condition, tough off the whites, with the breeze and squawly shower at the end.

Then this morning played the Singles in Knightsbrook and wasn't missing any fairways. 23 out, and 19 back. 42 points, and a 1.8 cut. Down to 15.2 now.

It truly is a funny old game, been struggling to hit buffer for the last few months and boom, 2 rounds in 2 days sorted it all out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,098 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

1 over standing on 16 and then went double, par, bogey...argh!

Won the quarters in the Members Cup matchplay on the 18th.

Played solid enough with a few pars and a chip in birdie. I did have the odd destructive shot but working on swing changes so I expected it.

Didn't expect the win, opponent is a really solid player featuring in the results lately.

He was on in two on the index 18 485yd Par 5. I've been on it in two a handful of times but never with a 6iron.

Playing his Dad next funnily enough for the semi's

• Registered Users Posts: 21,162 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Few rounds since last post, so will lump em all in.

First one was 27 points. Had 26 after 13 holes, then just couldn't get a score. Really bizarre as nothing like that has happened in a long time. Tbh it's funny looking back at it.

Friday got to play in team event in monkstown. Good craic, would have had bout 35/36 on my own card which was nice.

Today was Captains Prize, so the auld strokeplay lark. 76 nett though, so not too shabby. Two poor holes skewed it, for the most part was actually solid. No .1 back though so a great success

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

First post in a long time here. Played second round of our Captain's Prize today. Followed last weeks 77 with another one today. So a decent score but was 14 behind the winner.

Just checked my stats for the year , have now played in 15 qualifying events, 1 cut of 0.3, 10 buffers and 4x 0.1s. Extraordinarily consistent but being honest a bit frustrating. So much of my game this season is much improved on last year. But for a variety of reasons I always just fall short of a cut. Today it was a stone cold putter on the front nine, last week it was a nightmare 9 on one hole.

Keep thinking this week will be the one, but something always happens, aarrggghhh.

Next week.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Presidents prize this weekend in my club. Shot 80 Gross, 70 nett which is -1. wasn't even good enough for a top 10.

Had a solid start with 3 pars, then a 7 on the 4th - par 4 index 1, par the 5th then double on the 6th :(, that pretty much put me out of contention for the prizes.

Overall I'm happy with my game, feel I'm really close to a low score if I could just get rid of the stupid double and trebles I seem to have 2 or 3 of a round then happy days.

Front nine - 41(6 pars, 1 bogey, 1 double, 1 triple)
    Back Nine - 39(6 pars, 3 bogeys)
    Putts - 33( 4 x 3 putts :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

Played July Medal at the weekend. Managed a 73 (+1) net which i was happy enough with after my recent cuts.

Started the first with an OOB second shot that I managed to scramble into a 6 and ended the front nine with 41. Thats +6 so I was delighted.

The back nine was a tale of nearly-goods that turned into really-bads. I then went and drove my ball OOB on the last to finish +17. Still happy with how I'm playing and particularly how I'm driving the ball.

2 rounds at the weekend, Saturday presidents plate 31 pts and just missed the buffer by 1 and back out to 23 but a lot of positives to take from it much improved lag putting and only 2 3 putts. Biggest thing I took from round is really have to pay attention to my alignment on approach shots.

Sunday 3 person champagne scramble, probably had 35/36pts on own card, putting went well used 8 of my drives so was delighted as two areas where I've struggled with recently. A couple of sloppy approach shots, but think it's just something I have to be more conscious of on pre shot routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 faffingaround

Played The Heath today and had my best round ever!

Started off by parring the first a par 5! Then hit a 7 iron to 12 inches on the 2nd for a easy birdie! Overshot my third shot on 3 for a 6 and three putted the par 5 4th for a seven. Then had a brilliant two putt on the horrible green on the 5th. Hit a bad drive on the 6th but found it before it was swallowed by the heather and chipped in for par off the green! Hit a nice 8 iron onto the green on 7 but three putted and if I had taken out the flag was almost certainly another par. Thenhad a double on the 8th and then a really good bogey on the 9th with a savage two putt as the pin position was very tough.

I didn’t need to count my score to know I was thriving but my chip was rejected by the bank in front of the tenth green for another double on 10. Knew I had to respond and hit a nice 7 iron and then chipped into 4 inches for a very easy par on 11! 12th hole I overshot my third shot and had to settle for double. On the long 13th there was controversy! I hit my drive and it crept into the cut down trees beside the driving range. I chipped out and 1 putted for what I thought was a bogey! 14 and 15 were two putt bogeys and then I choked a bit on 16 and hit some bad shots but rescued a double with another single putt! 17th I 3 putted for a five which really annoyed me and heading onto the 18th I sliced the driver but still managed to chip out and sand wedge to 8 foot before getting my par with 1 stroke on the green!

It was only after the round that I saw a sign in the clubhouse that my chip out on 13 was illegal and I should have dropped as there is white stakes there(most of them were knocked/chopped) so If I call that bogey a 7 I still shot 92! Hard to believe too as my driving was abysmal! Routinely hitting 160 yards left or right of the fairway!

Naturally I really liked The Heath! Such a natural golf course including the sheep **** which is everywhere. 15 euro too! Considering I had never even seen the back 9 before today was delighted with a 46 coming in!

1 birdie
    4 pars
    5 bogeys
    7 doubles
    1 cruel triple!

Played the Open singles on Thursday. Finally back to hitting good strikes but unfortunately the putter was stone cold. Last time I played they had the greens running very fast for the ladies Captains and they were much slower so everything came up short bar two putts.

39 points and no cut pretty much ends me entering the Thursday comps, I can play an open away and get a cut from the golf I was playing.

VuZwiqG.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,162 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

38 points today in mostly horrible conditions. Almost everything good about the game, bar putts from 6 foot and under! Missed 4 of them.

On the other hand, got a ridiculous par. The par putt was close to being a double bogey, rough held up the ball more than I thought. Then few holes later a nice chip in for eagle. So I'm telling myself they balance out, not that I should have had a better score.

Should be a cut of .6, that'll be enough to get me to 12 which is nice. How long that lasts I don't know, probably go back up next week!

Advertisement