Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round? - 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Played with the Vice Captain and he told me they're actively trying to bring the CSS/SSS up which is great.
    ]

How are they going to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

How are they going to do this?

By making the course play tougher. Harder pins, higher rough, quicker greens were a few he mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

By making the course play tougher. Harder pins, higher rough, quicker greens were a few he mentioned.

we are looking into something similar in my home course. Has CSS of 40 & 41pts last year on a number of days.

The GUI were out to assess it and i believe it has rated higher since it was last done a number of years ago they suggested narrowing the fairways as a way to bring the CSS down.

Difficulty is our membership is predominantly senior and they are against the narrowing of fairways, growing of rough generally anything that makes the course harder. same can be said of the ladies club. It leaves some of our lower golfers frustrated to say the least.

I played a comp with one of our +1 golfers last year and on the 1st tee he informed me that he wasnt playing in the comp that day. i enquired as to why and he said he reckoned the css was going to be high that day and he needed to be -5 to make standard scratch and avoid getting 0.1 back. At that level 0.1 can mean missing out on some of the marquee events

slingerz wrote: »
    we are looking into something similar in my home course. Has CSS of 40 & 41pts last year on a number of days.

The GUI were out to assess it and i believe it has rated higher since it was last done a number of years ago they suggested narrowing the fairways as a way to bring the CSS down.

Difficulty is our membership is predominantly senior and they are against the narrowing of fairways, growing of rough generally anything that makes the course harder. same can be said of the ladies club. It leaves some of our lower golfers frustrated to say the least.

I played a comp with one of our +1 golfers last year and on the 1st tee he informed me that he wasnt playing in the comp that day. i enquired as to why and he said he reckoned the css was going to be high that day and he needed to be -5 to make standard scratch and avoid getting 0.1 back. At that level 0.1 can mean missing out on some of the marquee events

Same stories in our course but the highest we have is 39, 41 is mental.

That was the big reason they're pushing for it, too many young members leaving so they can get cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Final Comp of the week in my home course today.

Felt a bit ropey again today and I could count on one hand the good iron strikes I hit. Chipping/pitching was great, putting was good and driving was good again.

Course was in great nick and the greens were super slick today with tough positions. Played with the Vice Captain and he told me they're actively trying to bring the CSS/SSS up which is great.

Anyhow,
    20F/20B 40Pts overall with 2nd place and more importantly a cut to 17.4 :D

Scratch on the first was a pull 3i off the tee with a weak swing and didn't play out well after that and carded a 7. Get my irons back to where I want soon and I'm confident I'll go lower. Dropping two playing shots in a week is better than I was expecting so f###ing delighted :D

24sMrFy.png

40 with a scratch!! I won't be at all surprised if I open this thread and see you have a mad score mid to high 40s in next few weeks. Fair play, you seem to be on a purple patch. Very surprised it took this long as you have all the basics right including a great swing. I'm member in headfort now if you fancy a round over the summer

• Advertisement

dar_cool wrote: »
    40 with a scratch!! I won't be at all surprised if I open this thread and see you have a mad score mid to high 40s in next few weeks. Fair play, you seem to be on a purple patch. Very surprised it took this long as you have all the basics right including a great swing. I'm member in headfort now if you fancy a round over the summer
    Ha, thanks. I think I golfed myself out, went out for 9 this evening and hitting the ball horrendus but I have a lesson for Wednesday night so will hopefully have it sorted soon.

Cheers yeah I'd love to get out on the new again in the summer, hope your enjoying it

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

That was the big reason they're pushing for it, too many young members leaving so they can get cuts.

One of the big reasons for pushing up CSS is NR’s. They cause havoc with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

is it not the other way round, if the CSS is low, it's easy to get the HC cut?

(apologies if i'm being silly...)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

is it not the other way round, if the CSS is low, it's easy to get the HC cut?

(apologies if i'm being silly...)

it balances itself out really. but it comes back to the idea that 36 points is a great round whereas currently if people dont hit 36 points in our place they say they've played terrible. it shows that shouldnt be there handicap really.

for our scratch cups no visitors come as they feel they havent got a decent chance. Junior/Intermediate scratch against people who expect to have 41/42pts to be cut not to mind in the shake up.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

slingerz wrote: »
    it balances itself out really. but it comes back to the idea that 36 points is a great round whereas currently if people dont hit 36 points in our place they say they've played terrible. it shows that shouldnt be there handicap really.

for our scratch cups no visitors come as they feel they havent got a decent chance. Junior/Intermediate scratch against people who expect to have 41/42pts to be cut not to mind in the shake up.

Many thanks - clearly explained. 41/42 pts to be cut is a bit nuts.

what course is that out of interest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

A very poor round at the weekend. It was the Vice-Presidents prize, which was strokes, off the whites.

Didn't have any serious blow-ups, just didn't do anything particularly well.

Ended up with 90 strokes, first time shooting that high in a while (last October was last time I shot in to the 90s.

Driving - was bordering on a hook for most of the round. Big change for me in the last year where traditionally my miss was a pushy slice (so I'll try to take that as a slight positive, as I've been trying to work a draw with the driver. Needs a bit of calibration)

Approach - made a lot of poor club choices. Wasn't striking particularly badly, but left far too many approaches short

Short-game - was either excellent or terrible. Hit a few lovely chips in dead, but mixed in a few chunky contacts that left longer than necessary with the first putt

Putting - Distance control was very poor. Hit a lot of putts far too firmly leaving longer than necessary second putts. Also missed a few short ones for up & downs. Only had 1 3-putt, but that's more tied to the fact that I hit so few greens, so was chipping in to the bulk of them.

90 Strokes (4 Pars, 10 bogeys, 4 Doubles)
    40% FIR
    17% GIR
    32 putts

0.1 back. Ah well, just have to bounce back as Esker Hills at the weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

41 points off 21 at St Margarets Open yesterday for the win. Never played the course before so I just decided to be straight and easy off tee and if in doubt club up.

Left about 6 putts short by 3-4 inches when right on line so could have been more.

Think that accepting that if I want consistency for now, hitting more club and letting ego fall aside might be key to getting down to sub 20. Felt a little boring as never really tried hitting a decent drive but I was scoring so well I kept at it.

Does anyone know if away Opens get considered for lowering handicap? I expect that they would but not seen anything yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭davegilly

pakman wrote: »
    41 points off 21 at St Margarets Open yesterday for the win. Never played the course before so I just decided to be straight and easy off tee and if in doubt club up.

Left about 6 putts short by 3-4 inches when right on line so could have been more.

Think that accepting that if I want consistency for now, hitting more club and letting ego fall aside might be key to getting down to sub 20. Felt a little boring as never really tried hitting a decent drive but I was scoring so well I kept at it.

Does anyone know if away Opens get considered for lowering handicap? I expect that they would but not seen anything yet.

You will get cut, same as you would if you won at home. The actual cut may not be the exact same due to the CSS of the course you played on though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

pakman wrote: »

Just checked masterscoreboard. The css was 34. You are about to get a savage cut. Well done!

davegilly wrote: »
    You will get cut, same as you would if you won at home. The actual cut may not be the exact same due to the CSS of the course you played on though!
    RoadRunner wrote: »
    Just checked masterscoreboard. The css was 34. You are about to get a savage cut. Well done!

Cheers lads. Maybe should have kept that round in the bank until after Esker :)

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭davegilly

Is it every shot above the CSS you get cut, is that correct? So if you scored 35 points then you would get cut 1 x 0.4 (in Pakmans case) so is he now going to get cut 7 x 0.4 = 2.1?

I played in two comps recently, scoring 37 in both but only got cut for the second one. I must check the CSS for both as I cant remember. Its all a bit confusing!!

davegilly wrote: »
    Is it every shot above the CSS you get cut, is that correct? So if you scored 35 points then you would get cut 1 x 0.4 (in Pakmans case) so is he now going to get cut 7 x 0.4 = 2.1?

I played in two comps recently, scoring 37 in both but only got cut for the second one. I must check the CSS for both as I cant remember. Its all a bit confusing!!

It would be 7 cuts, yes. It would be 0.4 until he gets to 18.4, then it would be 0.3 per cut as he'd drop to a cat 3 golfer.

Roadrunner, do you have an away CSS as well as members comp CSS. Could be a bigger cut again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Roadrunner, do you have an away CSS as well as members comp CSS. Could be a bigger cut again?

No, I don't think so. 34pts css is lower than normal. Must have been tough enough conditions on the day.

No, I don't think so. 34pts css is lower than normal. Must have been tough enough conditions on the day.

It really wasn't. Bit of a wind but sunshine all day. Maybe the heat played a part because I was lobster red coming off the course

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭KevH1984

First strokeplay event of the year for myself at the weekend, the club Masters one of our majors. Started with a disastrous double on the 1st and the 3rd but managed to finish 77 gross for a nett 71 off 6.

Course was playing tough due to the rough and thought I might have a squeak for my class but lo and behold it turns out I won. Shocked was an understatement but obviously delighted. Strokeplay is a great leveller and give us low handicap guys a better chance than normal if keeping things together.

2 doubles, 2 bogeys, 1 birdie and 13 pars. Very disappointed with the doubles, taking 4 to get down from 30 yards both times.

CSS was 74 so a nice 0.5 cut gets me down to 5 and halfway to my goal of 4 by year end. As it turns out only 3 players managed 72 or better all weekend which is a bit of a shock.

Hopefully a green jacket awaits for the prize.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 CackHand

31 points off 18 playing as a visitor in Dunmurray Springs on Saturday. I find this is the one of the only courses i can get an early weekend tee time on when playing with friends who are not members anywhere.

Yet another round that got away. 19 points after 8 and 27 standing on the 14th tee but a stretch of 3 scratches in 4 holes put an end to a promising round.

I am not sure if it was fatigue due to carrying the bag around but i always seem to struggle on holes 14 -17 on this course which is strange as there are 2 par 5's in that 4 hole span.

Overall i enjoy the course despite being home to the single worst hole (Par 5 6th) i have ever played. Would be interested in hearing other peoples opinions on the course and its difficulty level to more capable golfers than myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Don't know what to say about today's round! I've never been so inconsistent. Had slices, hooks, thins, fat everything.

Off 12 had 9 pars, 3 bogies, 1 doubles and 5 scratches

Started off with 3 scratches after being made to feel unwelcome in the locker room prior to the draw. Unfortunately my local club would mainly consist of older women off handicaps 32-45. So when I came out for draw this morning there were comments made along the lines of

' we can go home now we don't have a chance with 12 handicapper playing'
    ' I saw you have featured a bit lately. With that handicap here sure all you need do to win is turn up'
    When draw for partners was made the ladies marking for me out loud said ' how was I unlucky enough to have to play with her'

Havnt been playing great lately so all this got into my head and I scratched first 3 holes. Once I settled I played a bit better ( started to score) but just never confident over the ball.

Can safely say I'll be organising my own playing partners in future and not going out to the draws. Very disheartening. Might look at moving to a slightly further away club next year for a bit of competition and younger members

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Crikey that’s very bad form. Fair play to you for still playing and not heading off home again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

charlieIRL wrote:
    Crikey that’s very bad form. Fair play to you for still playing and not heading off home again.

I was seriously considering it after 5 but we were out in 2 balls so although it was far from a nice welcome I wouldnt leave someone stranded.

8 people showed up and someone had the bright idea of 4 2-balls off 2 tees cause it's be quick. It was 3.5hours. definitely not quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Played in the first round of our club matchplay.

Was giving away 7 shots. Went 2down but won 4 in 5 holes to go 2up. He won 2 holes on the way in where he had shots so we finished level through 18.

Managed to par 1 and 2 in sudden death, he had shots there so his bogeys matched my pars.
    I missed the green on the 3rd and didn't get up and down. He 2 putted from about 20 yards.

Great game through 21 holes. I played them in +6.

38 points through 18, he had 39 points.

My best round at my home course and still couldn't get through!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

Played the 9-hole comp in Sutton golf course. 17pts through 9, off 16.
    5 pars
    1 bogey
    1 double
    2 scratches

Greens were rock hard, so despite not scoring well the short game was best it’s been for a while.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Nothing spectacular but a consistent round in the Moate Intermediate Scratch for a 0.6 cut

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    Nothing spectacular but a consistent round in the Moate Intermediate Scratch for a 0.6 cut

Following up your Boards performance, seems like you're on a good run at the moment. Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,817 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

30 points in Bunclody yesterday. First time playing in over a month and tired badly on the back straight, completely losing the feel for my swing. Ended up scratching 14, 15, 16 and 17 due to one horrible shot on each hole losing 3 balls in those four holes.

Add to those another scratch on the first and two 1 pointers on 2 and 3 I was happy enough overall with my score. Highlight was a nice birdie on 18 to bring me back the next day.

• Advertisement

Found out on Sunday I was in the Members Cup Matchplay ( name goes on a wall etc) by coming in the top 30 one of the days.

Had to be played by Monday so played today.

I got 6 shots against an 11hc.

Won on the 18th. He had 5 pars and 4 birdies, played super well but my shots got him in the end.

I had alot of pars, a birdie and a few doubles and bogies.

Advertisement