Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2020 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭derailed

Just finished video shortlisting this morning. Managed to get through all questions with overview and STAR approach with a few seconds to spare with each example. Recorded off phone with some script material on laptop in background. Reviewed all 3 recordings afterwards which wasn't too cringe worthy or blatantly obvious that I was reading parts. Hoping outcome goes to plan and best of luck to everyone remaining in this competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭griffid

derailed wrote: »
    Just finished video shortlisting this morning. Managed to get through all questions with overview and STAR approach with a few seconds to spare with each example. Recorded off phone with some script material on laptop in background. Reviewed all 3 recordings afterwards which wasn't too cringe worthy or blatantly obvious that I was reading parts. Hoping outcome goes to plan and best of luck to everyone remaining in this competition.

I don’t remember having the option to review!!! Could we have changed them?

griffid wrote: »
    I don’t remember having the option to review!!! Could we have changed them?
    No there was no option to change them but to just review your responses again- i.e the full recording. Still available on the app even after completion of video interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭granturismo

Just finished stage 2. I ran out of time on the first question, missed out on my final sentence. I had timed all questions to about 2min 40 sec but obviously talked a bit slower without realising it. I reviewed the video and the cringey look on my face when I realised I was just out of time is embarrassing.

Thanks again for all the advice here.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭lucat

Just finished stage 2. I ran out of time on the first question, missed out on my final sentence. I had timed all questions to about 2min 40 sec but obviously talked a bit slower without realising it. I reviewed the video and the cringey look on my face when I realised I was just out of time is embarrassing.

Thanks again for all the advice here.

Yeah I stuttered a bit in surprise when I heard the beeps, which obviously wasted even more time. I wonder what happens if you have a speech impediment?

• Advertisement

derailed wrote: »
    No there was no option to change them but to just review your responses again- i.e the full recording. Still available on the app even after completion of video interview.

The only reason I watched mine back is because I read somewhere here that the audio cut out for someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭caarp

seems to be about 107-114 as as far as I can tell

Thanks Cheeseplant. Do you know, do they ever get to call up those who were successful in the first set of assessment but placed in the low 90's, from previous competitions? Not sure if this can be answered? Just wondering if they might ever get to these OOM before the competition is up??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

lucat wrote: »
    That's my reading of it too but I still intend to give an example. I'll do the broad overview as the 'intro'.

I think this is good advice.

In theory they (the interview board) should be looking for detail in your answers. You led a project, but how much were you actually involved and what were the challenges you met? You lead a team - how big, what workload, what problems did they overcome, etc? They can mark on that, they can't mark on a broad overview, which should be covered anyway in the CV bit of the application form.

That's my understanding, anyway, based on the training/input before being on a interview board for another grade.

Ok. I did it. I looked at my review. Other than very obviously reading from the screen above the laptop, I didn’t look or sound as awful as I thought but definite nerves showing. Hopefully they’ll be happy with the attempt to control the nerves and power through and also that my examples are strong enough. Hard to show leadership with 6 in your unit from CO to PO.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Cheeseplant

Just done too. Reviewed it and yes, I'm definitely reading it but have made the attempts to look back and forth at camera and am definitely more at ease in q3 than q1. Even remembered to say good afternoon and thank them.for their attention ;) v glad it's over! Fingers crossed it's enough now.

• Advertisement

Ok. I did it. I looked at my review. Other than very obviously reading from the screen above the laptop, I didn’t look or sound as awful as I thought but definite nerves showing. Hopefully they’ll be happy with the attempt to control the nerves and power through and also that my examples are strong enough. Hard to show leadership with 6 in your unit from CO to PO.

That sounds pretty positive. Hopefully we won't be waiting ling!

That sounds pretty positive. Hopefully we won't be waiting ling!

God yeah I hope the wait isn’t long and drawn out. Bring on the eTray! 😵

God yeah I hope the wait isn’t long and drawn out. Bring on the eTray! ��

Last two times seem to be able 2 weeks so not too bad a wait :) although I don't know that I'm excited about the etray!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

sunny7700 wrote: »
    I contacted PAS and they said they had call from 106 oom for certain regions to stage 2(they didnt specify the regions).

So not sure if there are individuals in regions with a score above 106 that have yet to be called to stage 2 because of the region they selected.

120 is being called for some western regions. It very much depends on demand.

I think this is good advice.

In theory they (the interview board) should be looking for detail in your answers. You led a project, but how much were you actually involved and what were the challenges you met? You lead a team - how big, what workload, what problems did they overcome, etc? They can mark on that, they can't mark on a broad overview, which should be covered anyway in the CV bit of the application form.

That's my understanding, anyway, based on the training/input before being on a interview board for another grade.

Thanks for this. I now feel slightly more hopeful that I got through Q2 because I talked about my team, a particular problem I faced as Team Lead, and how I resolved this problem. I got cut off at the end of listing the steps I took to resolve it so I didn't get to mention the outcome/result (basically just "I solved the problem and prevented further delay to the project").

• Registered Users Posts: 7 rainyday2020

Thanks for this. I now feel slightly more hopeful that I got through Q2, because I talked about my team, a particular problem I faced as Team Lead, and how I resolved this problem. I got cut off at the end of listing the steps I took to resolve it so I didn't get to mention the outcome/result (basically just "I solved the problem and prevented further delay to the project").

It says to describe your experience and doesn't ask for a specific example like the other 2 questions. Surely, if you ignore the part where it says to give a description, you aren't answering the question?

It says to give an overview though and doesn't ask for a specific example like the other 2 questions. Surely, if you ignore the part where it says to give an overview, you aren't answering the question?

I thought it had both overview and specific example? Don’t rain on my parade!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 rainyday2020

I thought it had both overview and specific example? Don’t rain on my parade!

My question 2 asked to describe your experience whereas the other 2 questions asked to provide specific examples

My question 2 asked to describe your experience whereas the other 2 questions asked to provide specific examples

Yes but surely they want more than a summary of your CV. Time will tell anyway.

I also gave a broad overview followed by a specific eg.
    I have more overview in Q2 than the other two

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭FlexBrowne

Hi all. Got called for final interview. No indication of whether it was for a panel for my first or second choice location. After accepting the Interview with ID, only then was I informed that it was for my second choice only! Still doing it but curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭dee75

FlexBrowne wrote: »
    Hi all. Got called for final interview. No indication of whether it was for a panel for my first or second choice location. After accepting the Interview with ID, only then was I informed that it was for my second choice only! Still doing it but curious.

You mentioned before your 2 counties, one of which is my first choice (and I'm only at stage 2 for regional so way behind you). Can I ask which county you're being interviewed for?

anyone else having a crisis of confidence now that the videos are submitted ? I felt fairly good after them yesterday but reading back over the thread I'm wondering if my v broad overview and specific STAR on on the main one was the right way to go about it at all! Looking back on my vid again and it is really obvious that i'm reading! Obviously can't do much about it now.

anyone else having a crisis of confidence now that the videos are submitted ? I felt fairly good after them yesterday but reading back over the thread I'm wondering if my v broad overview and specific STAR on on the main one was the right way to go about it at all! Looking back on my vid again and it is really obvious that i'm reading! Obviously can't do much about it now.

Maybe we’re all wrong about which one the main one is? What’s done is done. My favourite saying is “what’s for you won’t pass you by”. I’ve enough to be worrying about without adding something I can’t change now to my list.

I say don’t let it wreck your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭FlexBrowne

dee75 wrote: »
    You mentioned before your 2 counties, one of which is my first choice (and I'm only at stage 2 for regional so way behind you). Can I ask which county you're being interviewed for?
    Hi. This is for Kilkenny. I'm in Waterford City but definitely would take it if offered down the line. Quick commute!

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

Does anyone have tips for the video shortlisting process?
    And is the pass ratio high?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DavidM1234

seems to be about 107-114 as as far as I can tell

Hi guys,

Is the figure referred to (107-114) the OOM or the Total Score received?

DavidM1234 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Is the figure referred to (107-114) the OOM or the Total Score received?

It is the total score received after the initial aptitude tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Boarder 123

redmgar wrote: »
    Does anyone have tips for the video shortlisting process?
    And is the pass ratio high?

I got through the video part. For Q1 I gave an overall summary of experience of leading teams and dealing with stakeholders, about 1/3 of my answer and then went into specific example. Important that you show that you have developed staff and dealt with internal and external stakeholders. Q2 I did overall experience splitting it into the different areas in the question to make sure I covered everything. Did same for q3 asq1. In q3 you need to show analysis of complex information in a situation where you had to make the final decision - why was it complex, what was basis for your decision, what was result.

I tried to learn mine off as much as possible but had them typed out so I could glance down. I found it helped to highlight important words so when I glanced down I had an idea where I was. I had a last sentence which added something but wasn't essential in case I ran out of time.

Hope this helps, good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 boarder123

Thanks for that. What Batch were you in, do you mind me asking?

For anyone wondering, I think they use these video interviews to avoid having to read all the applications, for what it's worth. They're a time saving device.
    I'm no sure about batches. I had my final interview on 8th March

Advertisement