Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Accident / Incident thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭pepe the prawn

http://www.aaiu.ie/sites/default/files/report-attachments/REPORT%202016-002.pdf

Twin otter survey aircraft, out of Weston, someone forgot to put all the screws back in the holes........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Any sign of report on that helicopter crash in abbeyshrule?

That should be good.

Any sign of report on that helicopter crash in abbeyshrule?

That should be good.

The investigators probably don't even know where to start with that circus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭donkey balls

The investigators probably don't even know where to start with that circus.

Was that last year or the year before that the incident happened,Seems ages ago or else it must be me getting old.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

July 15th 2015

• Advertisement

http://avherald.com/h?article=49407521&opt=0

Sun Express 738 touched down with left main gear on the grass in Germany, steered back out of it again after 260 meters.

Should he have brought the aircraft to a stop on the runway and requested assistance or was he right to taxi onwards to the apron? Aircraft suffered some damage during the incident to fan blades, lights and flaps, and also a burst nose wheel tyre.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

I don't know what the operator's SOP would be for this situation, the commanders first responsibility is for the safety of the passengers, and once it was back on a hard surface, there was not much chance of any more damage than had been done, the engines were not going to have to operate at much above ground idle, and if they were not aware of any handling problems, and at low speed, the failed tyre may not have been evident, getting the aircraft to the arrival gate was going to be a better option than blocking the runway for a period of time, and (depending on availability of handlers, suitable equipment etc) possibly having to then get the passengers off by using the emergency evacuation slides, and even a text book evacutation will normally result in about a 3% injury rate, not normally serious, but still a nuisance that is better avoided if possible.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

I don't know what the operator's SOP would be for this situation, the commanders first responsibility is for the safety of the passengers, and once it was back on a hard surface, there was not much chance of any more damage than had been done, the engines were not going to have to operate at much above ground idle, and if they were not aware of any handling problems, and at low speed, the failed tyre may not have been evident, getting the aircraft to the arrival gate was going to be a better option than blocking the runway for a period of time, and (depending on availability of handlers, suitable equipment etc) possibly having to then get the passengers off by using the emergency evacuation slides, and even a text book evacutation will normally result in about a 3% injury rate, not normally serious, but still a nuisance that is better avoided if possible.

After off-roading though such as what happened here, i would have thought that it would be better to shut down the engines and evacuate, or at least request a visual inspection by fire crews before proceeding? from a safety point of view, there could have been fuel/fluid leaks from the gear or wings/flaps, coupled with hot brakes and lovely green grass to get the fire started..

I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying, just throwing another point of view on it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,044 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Accident: Luxair DH8D at Saarbruecken on Sep 30th 2015, takeoff ending on belly, smoke in cabin
    By Simon Hradecky, created Wednesday, Sep 30th 2015 18:47Z, last updated Friday, Feb 19th 2016 16:35Z
    A Luxair de Havilland Dash 8-400, registration LX-LGH performing flight LG-9562 from Saarbruecken (Germany) to Luxembourg (Luxembourg) with 16 passengers and 4 crew, was in the initial climb out of Saarbruecken's runway 09, landing gear was already retracted, when smoke developed in the aft cabin prompting the crew to put the aircraft back down onto the runway (length 2000 meters/6560 feet) for a belly landing. The aircraft came to a stop about 400 meters/1300 feet short of the runway end. All occupants evacuated safely, no injuries occurred. The damage to the aircraft is being assessed.

Germany's BFU have opened an investigation into the accident.

Saarbruecken Airport and Saarbruecken Police reported the aircraft was climbing out, gear was already retracted, when smoke developed in the aft cabin. The crew put the aircraft back onto the runway for a gear up landing.

The airline confirmed an incident at Saarbruecken during an aborted departure. The pilot, 45, had accumulated more than 10,000 hours of flying experience and was assisted by a 27 year old first officer.

On Nov 17th 2015 the airline reported in a press conference, that the first officer had retracted the landing gear too early, about three seconds prior to rotation and before the captain aborted takeoff causing the aircraft to settle on its belly without landing gear which resulted in heat and smoke in the cabin. The captain as well as cabin crew acted well in the course of the occurrence, the first officer however was suspended.

On Feb 16th 2016 Germany's BFU released their interim report within their September Bulletin in German reporting the captain (45, ATPL, 11,927 hours total, 3,649 hours on type) was pilot flying, the first officer (27, CPL, 3,295 hours total, 1,483 hours on type) was pilot monitoring. The crew prepared for a departure from runway 09 with reduced engine power at 81%. The BFU released following transcript:

10:16:24 PF take off, my controls
    10:16:25 PNF your controls
    10:16:27 PNF spoiler is closed
    10:16:30 PNF autofeather armed
    10:16:33 PF looks like spring
    10:16:35 PNF yeah, power is checked
    10:16:36 PNF 80 knots
    10:16:37 PF checked
    10:16:40 PNF V1, rotate
    10:16:42 Background click sound, probably gear lever UP
    10:16:43 PNF upps, sorry

The BFU stated that the aircraft had reached 5 degrees nose up at 127 KIAS when the gear retracted, the tail of the aircraft contacted the runway surface at 10:16:44 for the first time, the tailstrike warning activated. After three contacts the aircraft skidded to a stop 875 meters past the first runway contact, the aircraft came to rest abeam the PAPI lights runway 27.

Got to be a sickening feeling :(

Full report at avherald.com

Incident: Lionair B739 at Surabaya on Feb 20th 2016, runway excursion on landing

By Simon Hradecky, created Saturday, Feb 20th 2016 22:25Z, last updated Saturday, Feb 20th 2016 22:27Z
    A Lionair Boeing 737-900, registration PK-LFG performing flight JT-263 from Balikpapan to Surabaya (Indonesia) with 205 people on board, landed on Surabaya's runway 10 (length 3000 meters/9845 feet) in thunderstorms and heavy rain at about 11:08L (04:08Z). The aircraft came to a stop about 80 meters past the runway end with the nose wheel on soft ground past the runway end safety area. There were no injuries, the aircraft received minor if any damage.

205 people, is this normal for a B739?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

smurfjed wrote: »
    205 people, is this normal for a B739?

Apparently, according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_737_Next_Generation, the 737-900ER has extra exit doors, and a maximum in single class mode of 220. Didn't realise it was that capable, it's intended as an acceptable alternative to the 757-200.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

smurfjed wrote: »
    Report relating to the Ryanair fender bender...

I was surprised to see the captain of the first aircraft was only 25 and with 3,540 hours, is this common? Interesting that his total flying experience prior to the 737 was only 100 hours, I didn't think that was possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

I was surprised to see the captain of the first aircraft was only 25 and with 3,540 hours, is this common? Interesting that his total flying experience prior to the 737 was only 100 hours, I didn't think that was possible.

what I found reading most of reports,is that sometimes authorities tend to round up pre-type rating hours as if they're not really relevant. I've even seen a report saying something like 5000 tt and 5000 on type..

as for the command position, yes, Ryanair promotes captains from 3000 hours, if they demonstrate the skill required for the post. Now, the important bit here is that it's not the new guy who caused it

martinsvi wrote: »
    what I found reading most of reports,is that sometimes authorities tend to round up pre-type rating hours as if they're not really relevant. I've even seen a report saying something like 5000 tt and 5000 on type..

as for the command position, yes, Ryanair promotes captains from 3000 hours, if they demonstrate the skill required for the post. Now, the important bit here is that it's not the new guy who caused it

Exactly. I must admit, when I first read the report, one of the first things I checked when i noticed the ages of the commanders was whether the younger one was the offending driver... Not in a sense that i expected that it would be, certainly not, just more of a curiosity thing.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Incident: Cityjet RJ85 at Dublin on Feb 25th 2016, rejected takeoff due to engine failureBy Simon Hradecky, created Friday, Feb 26th 2016 20:25Z, last updated Friday, Feb 26th 2016 21:15Z

A Cityjet Avro RJ-85, registration EI-RJYperforming flight WX-124 from Dublin (Ireland) to London City,EN (UK), was accelerating for takeoff from Dublin's runway 28 when a loud bang and smoke from an engine (LF507) was observed. The crew rejected takeoff at low speed and vacated the runway via taxiway E3 (about 760 meters down the runway), the crew advised no emergency services were needed, however, emergency services had already responded. The aircraft taxied to the apron.

A replacement Avro RJ-85 registration EI-RJX reached London with a delay of 90 minutes.

The occurrence aircraft is still on the ground 28 hours after rejecting takeoff.

Accident: Ethiopian B788 at Addis Ababa on Mar 4th 2016, nose gear collapsed at gate
    By Simon Hradecky, created Friday, Mar 4th 2016 18:02Z, last updated Tuesday, Mar 8th 2016 17:26Z
    An Ethiopian Airlines Boeing 787-800, registration ET-ASH performing flight ET-702 from Addis Ababa (Ethiopia) to Rome Fiumicino (Italy), had completed boarding and was about to depart when the aircraft settled on its nose after the nose gear collapsed. One flight attendant received minor injuries, the aircraft received substantial damage.

A ground observer reported that the aircraft bound for Rome Fiumicino had completed boarding and was about to depart the gate, when the nose gear collapsed.

On Mar 8th 2016 The Aviation Herald heard, that there had been a number of gear warnings on the ground on previous flights, a gear warning occurred again and a mechanics was called to check. The mechanics attempted to recycle the gear lever as had also been done on previous occasions, however, no gear pins had been installed this time.

Inquiries with the airline remained unanswered so far.

ethiopian_b788_et-ash_addis_ababa_160303_1-400x290.jpeg

Ouch

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

From Iron Maiden's FB Page, tour only been going around a week, poor Bruce got his 747 Rating especially

ED FORCE ONE BADLY DAMAGED ON THE GROUND IN COMODORO ARTURO MERINO BENITEZ (SANTIAGO, CHILE) AIRPORT
    CONCERTS IN ARGENTINA TOMORROW AND TUESDAY EXPECTED TO GO AHEAD AS PLANNED
    Ed Force One was this morning tethered to a tow truck to be taken for refuelling prior to flying over the Andes to Cordoba for the next show. On moving the steering pin that is part of the mechanism that connects the ground tug to the aircraft seemingly fell out. On making a turn the aircraft had no steering and collided with the ground tug badly damaging the undercarriage, two of the aircrafts engines and injuring two ground tug operators, both of whom have been taken to hospital. We hope of course that they make a full and speedy recovery and we will be closely monitoring their progress. The flight engineers are on site and evaluating the damage, but their initial report is that the engines have suffered large damage and will require an extended period of maintenance and possibly two new engines.
    We are currently making contingency arrangements to get to the show in Cordoba tomorrow with band, crew and equipment intact. Fortunately the 20 tons of equipment had not been loaded onto EF1 at the time of the accident. Although this is tragic for our beautiful plane we do not expect this to affect our concert schedule including the next 2 shows in Cordoba and Buenos Aires. And we hope to find a new Ed Force One to continue this adventure with us in the near future. We will keep everyone updated when we know more, so keep checking only on this site for official news.
    To finish on a high note however, our visit to Chile was a huge success with 58,000 fans coming to the show as totally brilliant as ever in the Stadium Nacional last night. We love you guys!

edforce1_zpsb9xkzkwy.jpg

edforce2_zpsjj2sl5hm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Bsal

The 787 is having some technical problems with unreliable airspeed indications

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/boeing-faa-warn-787-pilots-of-bad-airspeed-data-423735/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

Cityjet tail strike in Florence. Aircraft still on the ground.

http://avherald.com/h?article=495ee43e&opt=0

Stobart AT42 with smoke onboard...

http://avherald.com/h?article=496c6d26&opt=0

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Stobart AT42 with smoke onboard...

http://avherald.com/h?article=496c6d26&opt=0

"with 8 people on board"

Including crew? God that's an abysmal load.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Carnacalla wrote: »
    "with 8 people on board"

Barely enough to have a passenger at emergency exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

Carnacalla wrote: »
    "with 8 people on board"

Flybe wet lease, like the PSO's money makers with or without pax:cool::rolleyes:
    irishgeo wrote: »
    Barely enough to have a passenger at emergency exit.

No need to use the emerg exits. Everyone went through the main door.

http://avherald.com/h?article=496e13a8&opt=0

Cityjet RJ85 landed with below reserve fuel. Highlights the difficult decisions to be made by a commander when holding/deciding to divert. Series of events that initially favoured another approach to DUB, during the approach wind picked up again, decision was made to divert, WX in Belfast meant a straight in approach wasn't available, more flying, more time and therefore more fuel burnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

http://avherald.com/h?article=496e13a8&opt=0

Cityjet RJ85 landed with below reserve fuel. Highlights the difficult decisions to be made by a commander when holding/deciding to divert. Series of events that initially favoured another approach to DUB, during the approach wind picked up again, decision was made to divert, WX in Belfast meant a straight in approach wasn't available, more flying, more time and therefore more fuel burnt.
    Oh god, I'm flying with them next month. If the wife hears about this it could be cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

and why would your wife cancel it, the crew on the day had bad weather to deal with on several airports not just one. very professional by all accounts and credit to the captain . better landing with below the reserve fuel than none at all

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Lustrum

http://avherald.com/h?article=4971533d&opt=0

Incident: British Airways B744 over Atlantic and New York on Apr 16th 2016, engine shut down, hydraulic and brakes problems after go around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

and why would your wife cancel it, the crew on the day had bad weather to deal with on several airports not just one. very professional by all accounts and credit to the captain . better landing with below the reserve fuel than none at all
    You don't know my wife. It would'nt worry me. She won't stay in the room when I watch air crash investigation.

Advertisement