Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Accident / Incident thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

A Cessna 152 was turned over, upon landing, at a private strip in County Meath, when being flown solo by a student pilot. No-one was hurt. This happened two or three days ago. At least three other small aircraft have had minor accidents in the same County, in the last few weeks, thankfully with no injuries.

regards
    Stovepipe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

Stovepipe wrote: »
    A Cessna 152 was turned over, upon landing, at a private strip in County Meath, when being flown solo by a student pilot. No-one was hurt. This happened two or three days ago. At least three other small aircraft have had minor accidents in the same County, in the last few weeks, thankfully with no injuries.

regards
    Stovepipe

private strip and a solo student? I thought you're not allowed to do training on an unlicensed airfield

AAIU must be stretched to their limits at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

student was sent solo out of weston, ran into bad weather en route to Navan airfield, tried to find trim ,instead found Adamstown and attempted to land there and turned it over.

student was sent solo out of weston, ran into bad weather en route to Navan airfield, tried to find trim ,instead found Adamstown and attempted to land there and turned it over.

ah in that case sounds like the student made some good calls, just lacked a bit of luck.. poor soul

Oscar is exactly right....AAIU have taken on one new Inspector but would prefer to be allowed to recruit more. Right now, they are run off their feet and all resources are at full tilt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Five dead as a Cheyenne crashes into a Lidl in Tires, Portugal. One of the dead was a truck driver unloading his truck at Lidl.

This was the METAR at the time (midday local time).

METAR LPCS 171100Z VRB03KT CAVOK 22/12 Q1018=

https://www.rtp.pt/noticias/pais/cinco-mortos-e-nove-desalojados-em-desastre-aereo-de-tires_n995816

• Registered Users Posts: 10,034 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

An Air Canada plan landed in London without a wheel after the tyre snapped off in mid air.
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The incident happened shortly after take-off on the Montreal to Heathrow flight yesterday.[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]But the pilot only realised after being told by airport workers in Britain after landing safely, without any difficulties.[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Damage to the Boeing 777-300's suspension was also reported after landing at Heathrow. [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The missing wheel was later found rooted in a fence just a few miles from Pierre Elliott Trudeau Airport in Montreal. www.dailymail.co.uk[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I've seen pictures of a B777 Nose Wheel breaking off, but first time that i have heard about the mainwheel.[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

smurfjed wrote: »
    An Air Canada plan landed in London without a wheel after the tyre snapped off in mid air.
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The incident happened shortly after take-off on the Montreal to Heathrow flight yesterday.[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]But the pilot only realised after being told by airport workers in Britain after landing safely, without any difficulties.[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Damage to the Boeing 777-300's suspension was also reported after landing at Heathrow. [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The missing wheel was later found rooted in a fence just a few miles from Pierre Elliott Trudeau Airport in Montreal. www.dailymail.co.uk[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I've seen pictures of a B777 Nose Wheel breaking off, but first time that i have heard about the mainwheel.[/font]
    Very interesting one...metal fatigue caused by heat perhaps?

Suspension damage is also sus...surely the plane would be quite light at landing that 1/12 less wheels would have balanced out the reduced weight among the remaining 11...
    Maybe there was some other damage

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Coil Kilcrea

EchoIndia wrote: »
    A chilling official report to read.

Where would we find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

http://avherald.com/h?article=4a7d012c&opt=0

I love the Daily Mail :D

• Advertisement

33769451860_eae5bbe892_c.jpg
    This picture was in our Safety Training CBT, does anyone know the history behind the accident/incident?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

33769451860_eae5bbe892_c.jpg
    This picture was in our Safety Training CBT, does anyone know the history behind the accident/incident?

This one?:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_Airlines_Flight_120

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭john boye

Dardania wrote: »

Was just about to post the same, there was an episode of air crash investigation on it if that helps.

Thank you for the references.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Buffman

ED E wrote: »
    Sudan are keeping up their reputation..
    A passenger plane has crashed at a South Sudan airport, reportedly injuring at least 14 people.

Some 44 people are thought to have been on board the South Supreme Airlines plane when it came down in the northwestern town of Wau.
    http://news.sky.com/story/passenger-plane-carrying-44-people-crashes-at-south-sudan-airport-10808982

An update on that one. Ironically they hit a fire engine on landing. Everyone survived so I suppose there's a joke in there somewhere.

South Supreme AN26 at Wau on Mar 20th 2017, collided with fire truck on landing

south_supreme_f50_wau_170320_3.jpg

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

A wheel coming off actually hasn't suprised me,The A330 wheels get some serious forces on them during pushbacks even more so when it's tight turn,I've come across wheels where the torque has backed off a lot,more than likely the tyre pressure indication is modded out,it's more harmful than good and the break fan being pulled off wont give any indication unless it popped a circuit breaker which the crew would know about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Five dead as a Cheyenne crashes into a Lidl in Tires, Portugal. One of the dead was a truck driver unloading his truck at Lidl.

This was the METAR at the time (midday local time).

METAR LPCS 171100Z VRB03KT CAVOK 22/12 Q1018=

https://www.rtp.pt/noticias/pais/cinco-mortos-e-nove-desalojados-em-desastre-aereo-de-tires_n995816

Here's an initial report into the accident.

http://www.gpiaa.gov.pt?cr=10565

Engine failure on takeoff or overloaded?
    According to several eyewitness testimonies, after takeoff the Suisse twin-engine started to put the left wing down and consequently to turn left while climbing slowly to about 300 feet of altitude. The left bank was increasing and the speed was decreasing, with the entry of the aircraft in a stall, followed by a steep descent to a dock for unloading of trucks of a supermarket located southeast of the airfield. The crash occurred 700 mts from the end of the departure runway.

just want to say fair play to Dublin FIS this morning, I was out in G airspace and they gave me a quick heads up, that I have a target right on my nose with no mode C just a mile away heading the opposite direction. I did a quick 45 deg turn just in case, and yep just as my wings went level, our target came out of mist/cloud at exactly the same altitude and place where I ought to be.. nice to know someone's looking out there for you, even if they technically don't have to

I wonder will Homer Simpsons 'It's my first day!' excuse work for this air marshal?

Air marshal leaves a loaded gun in an airplane bathroom on a Manchester to New York City flight for a passenger to find and hand to a crew member

The newly-hired air marshal left the weapon by accident aboard Delta flight 221
    For anyone who wants the non-tabloid version, here's Simons:

Incident: Delta B763 over Atlantic on Apr 6th 2017, lavatory or armoury
    A Delta Airlines Boeing..............was enroute over the Atlantic Ocean when a passenger went to a lavatory and found a loaded gun. The passenger handed the gun to cabin crew, who in turn returned the weapon to the owner, a female US Air Marshal, who had forgotten the weapon in the lavatory

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭Comhrá

On March 11, flight #AF423 departing from Bogota to Paris almost missed its takeoff from Bogota with 275 passengers and crew on board.

For a reason still unknown, the Airbus A340-300 took the entire length of the runway, before taking off in extremis at the end of the asphalt runway at only 1.5 meters height.

Vista_ae%CC%81rea_Aeropuerto_Internacional_Eldorado_Bogota%CC%81_SKBO-BOG_8203507991.jpg

http://www.airlive.net/news-air-france-and-bea-investigate-flight-af423-serious-incident-at-bogota/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Can a B747 survive a landing like this without sustaining major damage?

http://www.airlive.net/video-hard-landing-of-boeing-747-cargo-at-amsterdam-schiphol/

id imagine there'd be some questions asked! Not to mention dental treatment for the pax to get thousands of teeth refitted!

Here's an interesting scenario from Japan.

A CH-47 Chinook took off without clearance across the runway prompting a departing 738 to reject takeoff. A 734 was on short final and was already cleared to land.

The arriving 734 saw the departing 738 and airborne helicopter, but only noticed the 738 stopping as it was about to flare, and chose to continue landing rather than risk a go around. ATC instructed it to go around, but only after it had already landed and had thrust reversers deployed. It landed normally with a minimum 570m of separation between the two 737s on the runway.

Incident: Japan TransOcean B734 at Okinawa on Jun 3rd 2015, continued landing onto occupied runway despite instruction to go around

The JTSB analysed that the captain of the B734 was aware of the previous departure and, when they received landing clearance, observed the B738 in the departure roll. Shortly afterwards he observed the helicopter crossing the runway, focussed on the departing Boeing and did not notice any slow down. The first officer, seeing the helicopter flying away to the west, thought the Boeing would continue takeoff, both pilots therefore concluded a go around was not necessary and continued the approach.

Just when the first officer of the B734 was about to initiate flare for landing the captain realized the B738 was still on the runway, took control of the aircraft and, judging from his experience of aircraft performance on both aircraft types, concluded they could continue landing safely, they were cleared to land, they could not fully determine the flight trajectory of the helicopter and therefore continued landing.
    Without wanting to be a 'Captain Hindsight' armchair expert, I think the 734 captain did well with his split-second decision making. It does show the hazards of ATC giving landing clearances for occupied runways in those countries that do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Stovepipe wrote: »
    id imagine there'd be some questions asked! Not to mention dental treatment for the pax to get thousands of teeth refitted!

Cargo is not so sensitive so I think the airline is OK on that score.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,903 ✭✭✭✭GBX

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-4472666/Terrifying-moment-passenger-jet-falls-18-000-feet.html

Presume this is more Dailyfail exaggeration, how does a plane ''fall 18,000ft'' out of no where?

Gamebred wrote: »
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-4472666/Terrifying-moment-passenger-jet-falls-18-000-feet.html

Presume this is more Dailyfail exaggeration, how does a plane ''fall 18,000ft'' out of no where?

they dropped 18000 feet in 8 minutes which gives you 2250 ft/min descent rate, that's a fairly standard descent rate. Fair enough, I take it going from positive rate of climb to negative in short space of time will give some sense of weightlessness for a moment, but jeez the drama on that article..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Gamebred wrote: »

Summary of whatever sh!te they're spouting for those of us who won't click on their links?

Advertisement