Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Accident / Incident thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Buffman wrote: »
    An update with additional information on this, looks like the speculation wasn't far wrong.

I'm probably reading this wrong but surely the speculation was completely wrong. The speculation was that a drone had hit the aircraft, but the update says foreign object damage was ruled out :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Buffman

Shannon757 wrote: »
    I'm probably reading this wrong but surely the speculation was completely wrong. The speculation was that a drone had hit the aircraft, but the update says foreign object damage was ruled out :confused:

No, the other way around, the airline had initially 'confirmed' a strike and the online speculation was that it was something else.

The airline confirmed the occurrence stating an external body had impacted the radome, a replacement aircraft was dispatched to Tete to perform the return flight. The occurrence aircraft is being repaired.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Buffman wrote: »
    No, the other way around, the airline had initially 'confirmed' a strike and the online speculation was that it was something else.

I get you now, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

I said that the moment I saw the pics, a drone hitting that A/C would have been more like a glancing blow rather than the type of damage we saw.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Nice skid today/yesterday in Novosibirsk's Tolmachevo Airport, Russia involving an S7 A320

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

A nice skid I'd say in the cockpit also :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Nice skid today/yesterday in Novosibirsk's Tolmachevo Airport, Russia involving an S7 A320

The video has a date of 14 December 2016 on the bottom right.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

EchoIndia wrote: »
    The video has a date of 14 December 2016 on the bottom right.

Good spot, never noticed that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

ATC from an OpenSkies B757 with a possible landing gear fire which diverted to Shannon last August

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I saw this on youtube, nothing to do with the incident above ((moved out into a separate thread since this post was made)but one of the Shamrock pilots was responding to ATC instructions with 'wilco'. Had a Kerry or cork accent and sounded like the same fellow who was on comms in JFK a few years back over the hydraulic leak.

Is this allowed?

Thought there was a strict readback rule nowadays?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

A significant number of posts relating to an alleged air miss over Dublin have been moved out into a separate thread, as the incident did not occur as originally reported, there was no airmiss, or loss of separation. On that basis, the reports and the subsequent discussion was not an accident or incident, so not appropriate to this thread.

I have not deleted the posts, as it is appropriate to ensure that the correct version of events is kept so that any future inquiries can see how the reports developed.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Steve wrote: »
    I saw this on youtube, nothing to do with the incident above but one of the Shamrock pilots was responding to ATC instructions with 'wilco'. Had a Kerry or cork accent and sounded like the same fellow who was on comms in JFK a few years back over the hydraulic leak.

Is this allowed?

Thought there was a strict readback rule nowadays?

The readback rule applies to specific instructions, but not to all ATC instructions, so something like a take off clearance, or a route has to be read back in full, as do things like level changes, but there are other things that do not require a read back, and in that case, if it is a specific instruction, then Wilco is a standard phrase that means understood and will comply with the instruction

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

The readback rule applies to specific instructions, but not to all ATC instructions, so something like a take off clearance, or a route has to be read back in full, as do things like level changes, but there are other things that do not require a read back, and in that case, if it is a specific instruction, then Wilco is a standard phrase that means understood and will comply with the instruction

Thanks, I'll listen to the comms again with that in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Harrison Ford 'in near-miss' at US airport
    .....Ford, aged 74, was instructed to land on a runway at John Wayne airport in Orange Country on Monday.

But instead he mistakenly landed on a parallel taxiway, passing over a waiting American Airlines plane with 110 passengers and crew on board.

That plane safely departed minutes later. Ford has not commented on the reported incident.

Just before the landing, the Indiana Jones star is quoted as asking air traffic controllers: "Was that airliner meant to be underneath me?"

.....it's that kind of flying that allows you to do the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs!

Jawgap wrote: »
    Just before the landing, the Indiana Jones star is quoted as asking air traffic controllers: "Was that airliner meant to be underneath me?"

.....it's that kind of flying that allows you to do the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs!

What he meant to ask was "Was I supposed to be over that airliner?"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,903 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Jawgap wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAJgC7VRpgY

Video footage has emerged for the incident

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

What happens when you go quiet over Germany......
    Jet Airways flight 9W-118, a Boeing 777-300 registered as VT-JEX, was intercepted by a pair of German Luftwaffe Typhoons as a security precaution over Germany on Thursday, February 16, after radio communications with the airliner were briefly lost.

The Typhoons were diverted to the intercept mission while already airborne according to a report in The Aviation Herald by Simon Hradecky.

Dramatic video of the security intercept at 36,000 feet was captured from another airline aircraft, likely a British Airways flight according to unconfirmed information. The video shows the Jet Airways B777 flying normally as first one, then a second Typhoon fly up behind the aircraft. The first Luftwaffe pilot approaches the big Boeing 777 from the same altitude and offset to the airliner’s left, possibly enabling the Typhoon pilot to make an attempt at visual contact with the occupants of the cockpit as a precaution prior to any other contact attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭pepe the prawn

http://www.aaiu.ie/sites/default/files/report-attachments/REPORT%202017-004.pdf

Report about the helicopter crash while landing in Abbeyshrule.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

The aircraft (which was not certified to fly in in the Republic Of Ireland) was attempting to land in a totally unsuitable location (and for which it had no permission) in the command of a pilot who was not qualified on type.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

The TL;DR Version: The pilot was a very naughty boy, though the owner too is not blameless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Yes. The backstory on this event is quite interesting and the Investigation, not being allowed to affix blames, simply invites you to read between the lines. The potential for at least three deaths and more injuries was very high. When you read a report that repeatedly uses "did not have", "was not qualified",etc,etc, then you know straight away that it's going to be a beaut.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,032 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Interesting report, with 440 hours in type, I wouldn't really consider the pilot not qualified in the sense that he was doing something outside his expected capabilities.
    The Aeronautical Notice A.19 clearly states that it isn't valid for ex-military aircraft but it doesn't appear to state that approval is required.
    As an aircraft pilot, the idea of trying to judge my wingtip within .81m is bloody scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

smurfjed wrote: »
    As an aircraft pilot, the idea of trying to judge my wingtip within .81m is bloody scary.
    Most people would even attempt to park their car with that sort of clearance :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Most people would even attempt to park their car with that sort of clearance :D

It was the length of his knob at the time of impact....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

I notice the full report into the Hawker Hunter crash at Shoreham is now released on the AAIB website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

It would be interesting to know the mindset of the pilots in these accidents. I guess we'll never know why they made the decisions they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

The IAA have granted permission for ex mil aircraft, usually foreign reg'd, to stay in the State and these permissions are dealt with on an individual basis. A Piper Cub is harmless and easily sorted, a potent ex-mil heli less so, as the maintenance and operational history of these is often not well documented or has been lost or is misplaced between several countries. Some helis, like the Gazelle type, have both civil and military certification and have both Mil standard engines and civvy standard engines. They often have firing harnesses and switch gear and even mil spec floats that have to come out before getting a civvy Permit. So, there's a lot to consider, when granting permission for an ex-mil to operate in the State, even for a limited period, which is why the 28-day rule applies. It should have dawned on the owner that he might have to ask the IAA for permission to operate here,as this is not a new requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Buffman

Luckily the prop doesn't appear to have impacted the aircraft after separation. From AVH:

REX SF34 near Sydney on Mar 17th 2017, propeller detached in flight
    A REX Regional Express Saab 340B, registration VH-NRX performing flight ZL-768 from Albury,NS to Sydney,NS (Australia) with 16 passengers and 3 crew, was descending through about FL120 towards Sydney cleared to descend to 8000 feet when the crew declared PAN reported they just had had uncommanded engine operations, the right hand propeller had sheared off, they still were able to fly with normal handling of the aircraft..............The Saab continued for a safe landing on Sydney's runway 16R about 25 minutes later.
    09af7be4647c0062b111b3db08b48947

ABC News report with ATC.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

That really is impressively scary!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sudan are keeping up their reputation..
    A passenger plane has crashed at a South Sudan airport, reportedly injuring at least 14 people.

Some 44 people are thought to have been on board the South Supreme Airlines plane when it came down in the northwestern town of Wau.
    http://news.sky.com/story/passenger-plane-carrying-44-people-crashes-at-south-sudan-airport-10808982

3ac66e052b9a93021df74da1fe35e9207dc6010bfb15831c68b378148b1eea32_3913444.jpg?20170320144248

Advertisement