Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Callan's Kicks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Does anyone know what the "Quavers" is supposed to mean when he does Boris?
    It's developed into a major pet peeve of mine anytime he says it. Decent show overall though.

I think Callan knicked it from BBC Radio 4's 'Dead Ringers'.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,112 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

is_that_so wrote: »
    Not exactly, but it is weak on depth and strong on his own strident personal views.

Exactly, we have someone who knows his onions at long last and not afraid to say it.

Well done mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Does anyone know what the "Quavers" is supposed to mean when he does Boris?
    He said before about his Enda Kenny saying shmoan (or tins of Lilt), that it was not something that Enda Kenny said, but something he might say.

I think it's the same with Quavers.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Diairist

serfboard wrote: »
    He said before about his Enda Kenny saying shmoan (or tins of Lilt), that it was not something that Enda Kenny said, but something he might say.

I asked a Mayo man that last year - have you ever heard the word shimoan in Mayo. He rolled his eyes and said not everything was true about Mayo but he enjoyed Callan's Kicks.

P.S.: Who knew Ernst Young were used to sort out contact tracing?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

FWIW, it's one of the few shows on RTE I actually like and I will miss it when it's gone on hiatus for the summer (summer starting in April of course for RTE). That said, I honestly don't see why this can't be a permanent fixture throughout the year - it really should be.

• Advertisement

Doodah7 wrote: »
    I think Callan knicked it from BBC Radio 4's 'Dead Ringers'.
    Speaking of "Dead Ringers", I meant to post this before. To appreciate how good a mimic Callan can be, have a listen to his Huw Edwards and the Huw on Dead Ringers. Callan's is absolutely spot-on - the one on Dead Ringers is Generic Welsh Accent that sounds nothing like the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,044 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

FWIW, it's one of the few shows on RTE I actually like and I will miss it when it's gone on hiatus for the summer (summer starting in April of course for RTE). That said, I honestly don't see why this can't be a permanent fixture throughout the year - it really should be.

Burnout and lack of material during recesses and holidays I'd imagine.

Less is more.

Less is more.

I hear rumors it is said of 108k cash Beemers and extensivly furnished haciendas plus Florida property in that area.

Now no idea of who they were talking to about but couldn’t help taking note.

Auld hearing must have improved.......eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

serfboard wrote: »

Quavers are also a bit of a cultural touchstone in the UK in the same way Tayto is here. He's just projecting something silly Boris might say.

Will miss the show when its gone for the summer. Serious question- is this show now the sum total of all comedy output from RTE? I know they have Bridget and Eamon but was there a new series of that created this year?

I hear rumors it is said of 108k cash Beemers and extensivly furnished haciendas plus Florida property in that area.

Now no idea of who they were talking to about but couldn’t help taking note.

Auld hearing must have improved.......eh?

Not for the first time, you have lost me Brendi.

• Advertisement

Diairist wrote: »
    I didn't know that but it doesn't surprise me.

Diairist wrote: »
    I asked a Mayo man that last year - have you ever heard the word shimoan in Mayo. He rolled his eyes and said not everything was true about Mayo but he enjoyed Callan's Kicks.

RTE probably ...they reported it.

Not for the first time, you have lost me Brendi.

No worries Francesco, Paulie will sort it in a day or two.

My fault......moving on..

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

I enjoy listening to it and find him witty. I also enjoyed when he took over from Ryan Tubridy there for a few weeks while Ryan was recovering.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,465 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Oliver has got a fair old kicking around on Twitter for his misjudged drool from last night;

https://twitter.com/paddyanglican/status/1256335581933531136

Oliver has got a fair old kicking around on Twitter for his misjudged drool from last night;

https://twitter.com/paddyanglican/status/1256335581933531136

And Callan deserved every bit of it......

Where’s Paul Galvin when you need him.........

Completely unfair undeserved gutter criticism against someone he knows cant react.

Stupid stuff, but what can one expect from that neck of the woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,957 ✭✭✭thesandeman

He's still in denial as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 IsosKramer

Less is more.

And none ever again would be bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Is he actively trying to get people to hate him, or is he just fixated on the attention?

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

It's a bad sign of a person who comes out with this negative rubbish I don't see Mario Rosenstock taking to twitter with such disgusting comments and amnio right in saying his initial tweet was deleted by him.
    The country is in crisis and this despicable man uses it to taunt it's not satire its beyond that hes gone personal with some of his tweets recently.
    He hasnt the ability to help out in this crisis so he should be grateful others are there for him.and the rest of us.

• Advertisement

sligono1 wrote: »
    It's a bad sign of a person who comes out with this negative rubbish I don't see Mario Rosenstock taking to twitter with such disgusting comments and amnio right in saying his initial tweet was deleted by him.
    The country is in crisis and this despicable man uses it to taunt it's not satire its beyond that hes gone personal with some of his tweets recently.
    He hasnt the ability to help out in this crisis so he should be grateful others are there for him.and the rest of us.

Well said S.

I would hope that this revolting individual would never get a sniff of a gig near RTE.

As Sligo said, that’s not satire, that’s purely unfair gutter abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

I think it's the notoriety he craves, he's had spats with Paul Galvin and was sued for defamation by a guesthouse owner in Waterford, during which "he believed comedy should not set out to offend people or groups of people" (source Irish Times 15/07/2011) - he obviously forgot about that.

Anyway, I doubt he'll be knocking on TodayFM's door any time soon....
    https://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/mario-furious-at-gift-grub-lawsuit-claim-26418305.html

I think the issue here is that somebody well known has said something any amount of others are saying.
    It is that peculiar pedestal people hold celebrities on.
    'You can have an opinion if you are well known/famous as long as it chimes with the consensus'.

He didn't say anything offensive/racist etc, he just isnt buying the message.
    I think people need to relax a bit. Witch hunts are in themselves not nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 IsosKramer

I think the issue here is that somebody well known has said something any amount of others are saying.
    'You can have an opinion if you are well known/famous as long as it chimes with the consensus'.

"Witch hunts are not in themselves are not nice".
    Those who won't condemn the one person indulging in his viscous campaign are not much better than him.
    How somebody who posted that witless, or maybe dangerous, tweet relating to St Patrick's Day has the nerve to say ANYTHING about the topic is outrageous.
    Then again, his vendetta seems clear and using this crisis as a vehicle for it is disgusting.
    As a licence payer, I'm funding the odious creature.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Is he actively trying to get people to hate him, or is he just fixated on the attention?

It’s been a difficult time for self-regarding talking heads like Callan and Paddy Cosgrove. Lot of anger.

Francie, I’m sure few people would object to genuine satire, I certainly wouldn’t.

And he’s not in my opinion”just isnt buying the message” what Callan is at is using every available unit of media to do one thing, attack FG and the Taoiseach in way he possibly can.

Most of it completely wrongly,and for me that’s a witch hunt which some say are not nice.

He’s trying way too hard,Francie, and alienating people very rapidly as they see it as unfair.

Nobody minds contrary opinions expressed fairly but he,as others have taken him on before at, is going too far.

IsosKramer wrote: »
    "Witch hunts are not in themselves are not nice".
    Those who won't condemn the one person indulging in his viscous campaign are not much better than him.
    How somebody who posted that witless, or maybe dangerous, tweet relating to St Patrick's Day has the nerve to say ANYTHING about the topic is outrageous.
    Then again, his vendetta seems clear and using this crisis as a vehicle for it is disgusting.
    As a licence payer, I'm funding the odious creature.

Are seriously trying to say that he was unique in misjudging the threat of Covid-19?

He is not the CMO or Taoiseach...he is a comedian who happens to have a mind of his own. You don't agree with him...so what?

Here is what he said.

BREAKING: The Robot has addressed the nation. Never before has anyone spoken so woodenly. So slowly. And. Said. So little. He tried to smile and do the empathy thing, it did not go well. The autocue fought the robot, and won.

Leo was 'robotic'...wow, hang the man for treason. :)

And he’s not in my opinion”just isnt buying the message” what Callan is at is using every available unit of media to do one thing, attack FG and the Taoiseach in way he possibly can.

Jaysus brendi. Jaysus!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Ballso

One boring internet whinger defending another

• Advertisement

'The leader must not be criticised.
    Everyone must be in tune with the message'.

Recalling another great satiricalshow - Spitting Image. ..you guys could have been cast members, muttering like a Greek chorus in the background. :)

Advertisement