Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Callan's Kicks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭Genghis

Thought it was top notch this week. Loved the approved questions only bits, the list first then the assistant filtering out later. Media are so familiar now with the daily briefing that all critical thinking is gone and the only deviation is the cutesy Easter Bunny crap we had last week.

Also liked the idea of non resident tax payers being trapped, fearing tax hazard but then rescued by the government. Featuring Bono makes me wonder is Denis O'Brien safely offshore.

Alan Kelly roaring also a laugh, I feel we might see this being his charicature.

Must be coming to the end of its current run now? Would be good if it was to continue through the lockdown and govt formation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

Genghis wrote: »

Also liked the idea of non resident tax payers being trapped, fearing tax hazard but then rescued by the government. Featuring Bono makes me wonder is Denis O'Brien safely offshore.

"We move in mysterious ways" :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Genghis wrote: »
    Must be coming to the end of its current run now? Would be good if it was to continue through the lockdown and govt formation.
    Well the man himself was supposed to be on a nationwide tour currently, but the gigs have been postponed because of the lockdown(s).

• Registered Users Posts: 72,154 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

That Bernie Sanders was good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,147 ✭✭✭plodder

Listened to a bit of it just there. I liked the conversation between Leo and Micheal, and he really has the nuance of Mary-Lou's accent to a T. Very good. Trump is frighteningly close to the real thing too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I find him much better than Rosenstock

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Mc Love wrote: »

It's not even a contest!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Mc Love wrote: »

He's miles ahead of Rosenstock. Callan has both the impressions down to a tee and excellent comedy skills on top of that. Whereas Marios is a decent impressionist but he lacked the comedy edge. He could impersonate people well but what he said wasnt all that funny and he over relied on the same joke repeated ad nauseum, Miriams 'Genuinely' being a typical example. He would just dress up in the blonde wig and say 'genuinely' as a punchline over and over again, it got tired very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭chicorytip

RTÉ sets the bar at a low level these days. Scrap Saturday was pretty good satire because it had a team of intelligent writers who could create (mostly) amusing scripts and a cast of actors who were all brilliant mimics.
    Callan could benefit greatly by working in a similar type of environment if he wants to progress his career in this particular genre. I have listened to two previous episodes of this series now and find it just boring and unamusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭The_Dark_Lord

His impression of Mary Lou is excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,144 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

It’s terrible, nowhere near..... sorry Lord.....not even close.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭Doodah7

It’s terrible, nowhere near..... sorry Lord.....not even close.

Why do you keep peddling this EVERY time someone mentions it?? It is beyond bizarre. You also seem to be in a minority of one.

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Why do you keep peddling this EVERY time someone mentions it?? It is beyond bizarre. You also seem to be in a minority of one.

Incorrect.... have got loads of folk agreeing.

Why do you find the truth so annoying?

He is very good at others,very good, but not at Mary Lou.

Can’t agree with you there,boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

It stood out to me on Friday, as not one of his best impressions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Muahahaha wrote: »
    He's miles ahead of Rosenstock. Callan has both the impressions down to a tee and excellent comedy skills on top of that. Whereas Marios is a decent impressionist but he lacked the comedy edge. He could impersonate people well but what he said wasnt all that funny and he over relied on the same joke repeated ad nauseum, Miriams 'Genuinely' being a typical example. He would just dress up in the blonde wig and say 'genuinely' as a punchline over and over again, it got tired very fast.

Mario was very much on the ball back in the Bertie days. The gift grub format worked really well then.

Many, many years later - it has both gone stale and he seems to have lost that connection he had with his subjects.

Callan seems in tune with current affairs at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

Excellent Mary Lou on Friday. As usual!

The truth hurts (some)...

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Dipole Keith

Have to say I love listening to the podcasts in the car on my travels, with all the doom & gloom it’s some light relive.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,732 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Excellent Mary Lou on Friday. As usual!

The truth hurts (some)...

Did you a solid,dude, and just to make sure I was being fair,I listened again.

And the result was still the same - very poor Mary Lou.

Way too harsh and abrasive and shouty....sorry dude, she doesn’t do that.

Concentrates way too much on the ‘t’s’ when it should be the ‘r’s”

Does not highlight the namechecking of presenters on radio interviews.

Loads more that are not her, just like Miceál Lehane at the end.... not good

Way too whiney, too thin voiced, too monotone.

Now are you happy.........the Mary Lou impression was shïte..... think what

you like, I have defended my position, over to you dude.

Thanking you.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,155 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Thanking you.

Brendi baby, this guy (Callan) is not trying to sound 'like' the people he is sending up, in an exact way.
    His Leo could be criticised in exactly the same way you have done or his Michael Martin.

He is exaggerating aspects of how they speak and actually, going a step further and portraying them as they are stereotypically seen/heard by many. He is playing to perceptions as many satirists have.

Leo's reputation is as a 'posh boy', Michael's is as a stuttering schemer, and Mary Lou's reputation is as a shouty whinging woman.

He does all three well in this sense and within those parameters and their stereotypes/cliched characterisation serves and enhances the comedy.

You need a more sophisticated sensibility to enjoy this stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

Thanking you.
    See, I've only posted my opinion - which you could take or leave - and which I'd generally only do once in passing unless somebody engaged me in discussion. The difference with you on the other hand is that you are absolutely & resolutely intent on patrolling this thread & everybody's comments & STAMPING on Every. Single. contrary "opinion" to yours by trolling, mocking, & deriding any that don't agree with you.. SO Donald J! It's how you get your few Kicks (see what I did there? pacman.gif) in life , I guess, and probably won't change anytime soon unless you get a life or a job.

So do carry on pleasuring yourself however you see fit in your little solo bedroom there "dude" - the rest of us literates will carry on appreciating the entertainment Mr Callan does actually provide!

See, I've only posted my opinion - which you could take or leave - and which I'd generally only do once in passing unless somebody engaged me in discussion. The difference with you on the other hand is that you are absolutely & resolutely intent on patrolling this thread & everybody's comments & STAMPING on Every. Single. contrary "opinion" to yours by trolling, mocking, & deriding any that don't agree with you.. SO Donald J! It's how you get your few Kicks (see what I did there? pacman.gif) in life , I guess, and probably won't change anytime soon unless you get a life or a job.

So do carry on pleasuring yourself however you see fit in your little solo bedroom there "dude" - the rest of us literates will carry on appreciating the entertainment Mr Callan does actually provide!

Very harsh there dude, do you behave like that with everyone who dares to disagree with you.

Very uncivil way to behave.

Very uncivil indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,011 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

zell12 wrote: »

I mentioned that at the time. I think he must have been practicing his Trump impressions at the time.
    He was also focused on getting his live show on the road.
    In fairness he admitted his mistake as soon as he realised how serious things were getting.
    In my personal opinion he should take a step back from the serious/political stuff for the moment though. I don't think it really suits him yet even though I agree with a lot of his opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

In my personal opinion he should take a step back from the serious/political stuff for the moment though.
    The current incumbents of 10 Downing Street and The White House more or less write their own material.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,011 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

serfboard wrote: »
    The current incumbents of 10 Downing Street and The White House more or less write their own material.

Oh I know!! I want him to keep at it in his showbiz work. I love it.
    It's just that is difficult to take him being serious..........um... seriously.

It would be like a Trinity educated professional journalist like Joe Duffy hosting a comedy show.

I mentioned that at the time. I think he must have been practicing his Trump impressions at the time.
    He was also focused on getting his live show on the road.
    In fairness he admitted his mistake as soon as he realised how serious things were getting.
    In my personal opinion he should take a step back from the serious/political stuff for the moment though. I don't think it really suits him yet even though I agree with a lot of his opinions.

Guy is just a shill for the Shinners, plain and simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Does anyone know what the "Quavers" is supposed to mean when he does Boris?
    It's developed into a major pet peeve of mine anytime he says it. Decent show overall though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Not exactly, but it is weak on depth and strong on his own strident personal views.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67,155 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Does anyone know what the "Quavers" is supposed to mean when he does Boris?
    It's developed into a major pet peeve of mine anytime he says it. Decent show overall though.
    In his own words:

"Boris is my favourite topical figure," Oliver replies, "because nothing is more cleansing than channelling your angst and anger about Brexit through a ridiculous voice. Boris is Roald Dahl-esque, a crumpled betting slip of a man who looks and sounds like a horny labradoodle. He loves his Latin but it’s probably part of the lie about him being an intellectual so I convey him quoting spurious Latin proverbs like “ipso facto cornetto Ford Mondeo” and he almost always finishes his sentences on Callan’s Kicks using the word 'quavers'."

Advertisement