Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lunchtime Live with Ciara Kelly [Mod warning post #1]

Options

Comments

baldshin wrote: »
    Had to laugh at the lady giving out that her 2 (adult) kids should be allowed drive unaccompanied because they need the car for work.....after one of them just failed his test!

And the other lady ringing in to tell the whole country she's driving without a licence. Oh dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I'm a few minutes behind. This is hilarious. And scary.

Really sad interview with that bereaved Dad now. Very sensitively done.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,808 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

baldshin wrote: »
    Had to laugh at the lady giving out that her 2 (adult) kids should be allowed drive unaccompanied because they need the car for work.....after one of them just failed his test!

Heaps of older people that never did a test in their lives on the roads. Ah but shur God love them.
    Fwiw it's a well meaning law put in place that ignores the huge testing backlog and the fact that many people don't have the public transport option.

Really sad interview with that bereaved Dad now. Very sensitively done.

That was hard to listen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

This basically describes about 80% of the segments on the show. With Ciara coming across as the worst kind of know it all. Often unlistenable because of it.

I wonder who taught her that style of presenting...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,907 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

And the other lady ringing in to tell the whole country she's driving without a licence. Oh dear.

Ciara made a good point about people having no problem phoning in saying they are driving without a license but you wouldn't have people phoning in saying they break other laws like shoplifting. We have a very strange opinion to driving laws in the country

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Ciara made a good point about people having no problem phoning in saying they are driving without a license but you wouldn't have people phoning in saying they break other laws like shoplifting. We have a very strange opinion to driving laws in the country
    I think the law should come down hard on any young driver who is driving without proper permission, or insurance for that matter.

I'm a bit more uncertain about what to do about the older drivers. There's an semi-retired farmer who lives near us down home (middle of nowhere), whom I'm certain cannot read or write. It's a known fact he doesn't have a licence. He only drives locally, and gets the train if going further. What should happen there? I really don't know. Bear in mind my own Dad, and lots of people of that generation, bought their driver's licences without ever having to sit a test.

I also bought my tractor licence without having to sit a test, which seems absurd looking back. (I'm in my early 30s). Not long before that, my brother had overturned a tractor on the road, driving perfectly legally with his purchased licence, aged about 16

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

I get that people will have to just start copping on and following the law but I live local to where that accident happened last year and people are disgusted with the ad on the television because it's really rubbing it in the girls face every single time it's on the telly. I get that the man lost his wife and daughter but that girl didn't get up that morning and think "I'm going out to kill someone now".

At the end of the day, she wasn't drink driving and it hasn't even been proven that she was speeding, it was an accident, they happen on rural roads, I've had a few near misses myself, that poor girl must be going through hell listening to that ad every day.

Having a licence does not magically transform someone into a safe driver.

BBFAN wrote: »
    I get that people will have to just start copping on and following the law but I live local to where that accident happened last year and people are disgusted with the ad on the television because it's really rubbing it in the girls face every single time it's on the telly. I get that the man lost his wife and daughter but that girl didn't get up that morning and think "I'm going out to kill someone now".

At the end of the day, she wasn't drink driving and it hasn't even been proven that she was speeding, it was an accident, they happen on rural roads, I've had a few near misses myself, that poor girl must be going through hell listening to that ad every day.

No but driving test assesses if you are competent enough to drive on your own. I am not a fan of that ad but there is no way to know if person driving on their own without full licence has 3 hours of driving behind them or 300. Provisional licence also doesn't say anything about quality of teaching.

I know how bad I was at the beginning when learning to drive and I shudder to think what would happen if I was let on the road on my own.

• Advertisement

BBFAN wrote: »

Regarding the last sentence, that's certainly true. But also, nobody had claimed that.

Statistically speaking, it's reasonable to expect that a person is a safer driver than one who has failed their Full driving test.

I have friends on learner permits, and never hesitate to tell them to cop the f**k on when they're driving the by-roads of our area. The idea that someone would go on the radio, and announce that their adult child is driving 40 miles, without supervision, 6 months after getting a learner permit, is completely out of order.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,808 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I think the law should come down hard on any young driver who is driving without proper permission, or insurance for that matter.

I'm a bit more uncertain about what to do about the older drivers. There's an semi-retired farmer who lives near us down home (middle of nowhere), whom I'm certain cannot read or write. It's a known fact he doesn't have a licence. He only drives locally, and gets the train if going further. What should happen there? I really don't know. Bear in mind my own Dad, and lots of people of that generation, bought their driver's licences without ever having to sit a test.

I also bought my tractor licence without having to sit a test, which seems absurd looking back. (I'm in my early 30s). Not long before that, my brother had overturned a tractor on the road, driving perfectly legally with his purchased licence, aged about 16

When I was driving a tractor first, it was an antique the size of a glorified ride on lawnmower. Now there's monsters of tractors on the road capable of 40mph or more that can be driven by 16 year olds. We all know why that will remain so, because the farming lobby would go nuts if they tried bringing a test in. Learner drivers dont have that lobbying power.

I'm a nerd. Facts and figures just stick in my head.

Living wage is around 15. Long pause, eh no, it's just 11.50 per hour :)

Public transport is "a subterranean world that teachers haven't got a clue about". And apparently Puglia is top teacher destination, at least twice per year... 😂

When I was driving a tractor first, it was an antique the size of a glorified ride on lawnmower. Now there's monsters of tractors on the road capable of 40mph or more that can be driven by 16 year olds. We all know why that will remain so, because the farming lobby would go nuts if they tried bringing a test in. Learner drivers dont have that lobbying power.
    That's true, and in fact I support lobbying-power for farmers. They defend rural Ireland in a way that many backbench TDs are incapable of.

But you're right, since the late 1990's there has been a vast increase in the power and speed of these machines. Like youreself, I learned to drive on an antique - a Zetor 2511 called 'Smokey' that didn't even have a cab! There's no way any parent should be putting some 16yo on the road in a modern tractor, unless he's already very experienced and careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I'm a nerd. Facts and figures just stick in my head.

Living wage is around 15. Long pause, eh no, it's just 11.50 per hour :)

Heard that. Another interview where she constantly cut across the expert to interject with her opinion (note: not fact) today. That man had patience to be fair.

Heard that. Another interview where she constantly cut across the expert to interject with her opinion (note: not fact) today. That man had patience to be fair.

Sometimes she's good and sometimes she's bad. In that interview she hadn't a clue what he was talking about. Every time she tried to sum up what he'd just said she got it wrong. He had to correct her several times. I was very surprised that she didn't know that low paid working families can get social welfare benefits, medical cards etc.

So far today, Ciara has said "Bullshít" and "Fcuk" live on-air. Set your face to 'shocked' at once.

(But really, it's great to hear the Anglo Saxon being broadcast for a change. We really don't get enough of it. And there's no good fcuking reason why not, as its perfectly fine under BAI rules)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

So far today, Ciara has said "Bullshít" and "Fcuk" live on-air. Set your face to 'shocked' at once.

(But really, it's great to hear the Anglo Saxon being broadcast for a change. We really don't get enough of it. And there's no good fcuking reason why not, as its perfectly fine under BAI rules)

There's too much ****ing swearing already, don't you listen to that buffoon Yates on the "Brass Neck"?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I thought her attitude to tipping today quite strange. Basically; no room for discussion or debate, this is the way things are and should be. Any texter that dared disagree with the dogma was labelled simply as "mean".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Do you see the irony in having to misspell certain words while saying there should be more swearing on the radio.

I can use swearing as much as most but I still wouldn't use it in a professional environment.

Just because there isn't a law against it, I don't think we should necessarily be looking for more of it in public spaces.

Do you see the irony in having to misspell certain words while saying there should be more swearing on the radio.
    For the record, I think this website's policy on swearing is foolish and outdated. None of us are children, and there is an important place for swearing in our vocabulary.
    I can use swearing as much as most but I still wouldn't use it in a professional environment.

Just because there isn't a law against it, I don't think we should necessarily be looking for more of it in public spaces.
    True, but it's very context specific.

In her previous role as a GP, I'm sure Ciara would never swear in front of her patients "Your fcuking blood results are back, Imelda. Your T-Cells are acting the bollox". But as a journalist, it's important to be creative and versatile with language and that includes swearing.

I often swear in work, because it can be a useful tool in expressing your distaste or enthusiasm for something - when used judiciously, of course. It tends to lose all effect when every second word of your mouth is a naughty word.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

For the record, I think this website's policy on swearing is foolish and outdated. None of us are children, and there is an important place for swearing in our vocabulary.

True, but it's very context specific.

In her previous role as a GP, I'm sure Ciara would never swear in front of her patients "Your fcuking blood results are back, Imelda. Your T-Cells are acting the bollox". But as a journalist, it's important to be creative and versatile with language and that includes swearing.

I often swear in work, because it can be a useful tool in expressing your distaste or enthusiasm for something - when used judiciously, of course. It tends to lose all effect when every second word of your mouth is a naughty word.

And that is why it is better to have some limitations because some would not be able to curtail themselves if it was entirely unregulated.

That is the main reason why I think Boards should continue with the restriction. If a swear word is warranted, most have no issue using the adjusted spelling, but they only go to that effort when they really want to communicate a sentiment. If that restriction wasn't there, I think swearing would be used much more frequently and not necessarily without lowering the tone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

In terms of this website, a good compromise would be giving people the option of turning a swearing filter if they don't want to see so-called bad words and those that wanted posts uncensored could have the swearing filter turned off I'm sure that's possible with today's technology.

Completely off-topic but I recently saw a traffic analysis for this site and the results are not good Boards popularity has Fallen and continues to fall sharply or so the data suggests.

And that is why it is better to have some limitations because some would not be able to curtail themselves if it was entirely unregulated.
    but everyday speech isn't regulated, and I don't know anybody who goes about their day consistently ejaculating bad language and invective.

Same goes for Twitter and Facebook - I very rarely encounter swearing on those platforms except when employed to signal passionate distaste or enthusiasm for something. It's so bizarre that we're still censoring that language on boards in 2019. I'd like to think we're all capable of moving with the times, but perhaps this is the wrong forum in which to air this grievance!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I notice in the segment on tipping Ciara stuck to her pc line and referred several times to her time 'waitering' rather than waitressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Ah go fcuk yerselves.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

I don't know anybody who goes about their day consistently ejaculating

Hee hee hee!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Del.Monte wrote: »
    I notice in the segment on tipping Ciara stuck to her pc line and referred several times to her time 'waitering' rather than waitressing.

Years ago, I went out with someone who worked in catering. "Waitron" was the preferred term of their HR people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭goochy

mrs kelly was in Cork( where i live ) last night for some sort of walk , i was tempted to go down there with a sign saying - ' feminazis not welcome in cork ' or ciara you are not welcome here . lol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement