Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Centerfire Handguns

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jb88

If lads wanted to change things they would have lobbied their TDs and kept in their ear. But too many were afraid and to be honest a lot of them shouldnt have had water pistols, as their was little or no examination of the criteria for a CF Pistol at the time.

So to everyone without a CF Pistol quit ur whinging and get your backside in your car and go up to NITSA if you are interested in IPSC

Dont expect any miracles this side of the border..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

jb88 wrote: »
    If lads wanted to change things they would have lobbied their TDs and kept in their ear. But too many were afraid and to be honest a lot of them shouldnt have had water pistols, as their was little or no examination of the criteria for a CF Pistol at the time.

So to everyone without a CF Pistol quit ur whinging and get your backside in your car and go up to NITSA if you are interested in IPSC

The same as it is now, membership of an authorised, garda inspected range. I was a member of such a range, what else did you want me to have before i could own a centrefire pistol ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,956 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Isn't it great that we have a divided island if you are a pistol shooter?:rolleyes:

Too true,as those in charge and are supposedly representing the sport [IPSC]for the republic are happy out in NI and have done.........Crickets..........Tumbleweed rolls by....... to try and reintroduce it down here. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

tudderone wrote: »
    The same as it is now, membership of an authorised, garda inspected range. I was a member of such a range, what else did you want me to have before i could own a centrefire pistol ?

Jb88 thinks people shouldn't have pistols unless they're competing;
    If there was a requirement for mandatory range attendance then even that can be abused with lads just turning up to swipe a fob. Having seen it first hand, and its a farce.

If pistol is your requirement get one and use it in competition, that should be the only justification for having one.
    Show competition entries and results when you go for renewal. Otherwise choose something else

And when you no longer shoot it in competition get rid of it, easily 2500 - 3000 .22 Pistols in Ireland. It would be great to see 10% of that number turning up to shoot a club or national competition, but its a dream.

Easily over 150 pistols in my Club with about half that competing with them every year, I at least try and do 4 comps per year which is very easy.

Too many lads with Pistols gathering dust in safes in Ireland and when time comes and the government wants rid of them, top of their excuse list will be "Why do you need it", you dont compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

I have a gsg 1911 im hardly going to shoot 50m bullseye with it:rolleyes:
    How hard is it to join a club in the north? im just under an hour from the fermanagh border ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭SVI40

I have a gsg 1911 im hardly going to shoot 50m bullseye with it:rolleyes:
    How hard is it to join a club in the north? im just under an hour from the fermanagh border ...

Don't know about the other clubs there, but NITSA is always open for membership.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Just a curiosity. The NITSA is a Northern Ireland thing so are all shoots in the North. With Brexit and the deadline of January 1st how does it work for lads traveling up after this date as they won't be able to use the EU firearms pass anymore?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

^^^^THIS^^^
    Going to be an awful mess,as it will now have to be a direct application ASFIK to the PSNI to import firearms into Her Majesties province of N Ireland. IOW hopping across the border for some practise on a Saturday and home in Dublin for tea and whatnot is going to be a thing of the past.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Wadi14

I shoot in the North and have visitors pass untill 2022 for some of my firearms, cant see anything changing to tell you the truth , it will work exactly the same.

As for joining NI clubs there's no bother at all, different world to shooting down here, you'll be shooting 357 magnums Uinseann_16 before you know it lol

Wadi14 wrote: »
    I shoot in the North and have visitors pass untill 2022 for some of my firearms, cant see anything changing to tell you the truth , it will work exactly the same.
    My apologies, i might have made it seem like my comment about the firearms pass was a question. I'm actually asking because the UK government has said EU firearm Passports will no longer be valid after january 1st, 2021.

Hence my question about what way does it work after that date.

This link shows that EFPs are no longer valid for UK citizens as the UK will be out of Europe one expects they won't accept them for those coming in.

Put i this way. If you firearms license was valid until 2022 and the Government banned all guns in the morning would your license still be valid?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

The NI firearms rules are not the same as the UK ones so like every thing else we will have to wait and see. Of course Borris wants to please his supporters by being stiff upper lip and not recognizing an EU pass. As it stands you have to apply to the PSNI for a visitors permit, come jan you will still be applying to the PSNI, we can take their milk surely they can take our fee lol
    An EU pass is exactly that an EU document, last year the NASRPC held its International shoot in NI, shooters came from Europe and from Non EU countries they all got visitor permits for NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

As for joining NI clubs there's no bother at all, different world to shooting down here, you'll be shooting 357 magnums Uinseann_16 before you know it lol

I believe so, a much more positive attitude from the PTB up there too.

The NI firearms rules are not the same as the UK ones so like every thing else we will have to wait and see.
    There is a difference in licensing, but Northern Ireland is still part of the UK and unless i'm mistaken, which is not beyond possible, they will be leaving the EU when the UK does.
    Of course Borris wants to please his supporters by being stiff upper lip and not recognizing an EU pass. As it stands you have to apply to the PSNI for a visitors permit, come jan you will still be applying to the PSNI, we can take their milk surely they can take our fee lol
    That is what i'm curious about. I'm not saying you cannot travel, i'm simply curious as to the process when the EU FP is effectively void.
    An EU pass is exactly that an EU document,
    As the UK won't be in the EU it'll be redundant.
    last year the NASRPC held its International shoot in NI, shooters came from Europe and from Non EU countries they all got visitor permits for NI.
    Last year though. It's next year they leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Excuse my ignorance, just how do ROI shooters participate in CF pistol shooting in the North currently? are the CF pistols kept in the North?

I suspect there will be no change, bar not having to send a copy of your EU firearms pass. Just your application for a visitors permit, sponsor, and copies of you RoI certs.

How do people think it will be different?

By the way in case i'm coming across as confrontational or argumentative, its not intended. I read about the firearms pass being made void come January and this thread got me thinking about what happens to lads that travel regularly.

1874 wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance, just how do ROI shooters participate in CF pistol shooting in the North currently? are the CF pistols kept in the North?

Some have them kept at clubs, some have friends there keep them on their licence, or you just use club guns.

SVI40 wrote: »
    How do people think it will be different?
    As above.
    Cass wrote: »
    That is what i'm curious about. I'm not saying you cannot travel, i'm simply curious as to the process when the EU FP is effectively void.
    The UK was always in the EU so i cannot remember a time when you done anything different.

By the way in case i'm coming across as confrontational or argumentative, its not intended. I read about the firearms pass being made void come January and this thread got me thinking about what happens to lads that travel regularly.

Valid question, but bear in mind, RoI, UK and Sweden never recognised the EU pass on its own. You have always had to apply to the relevant authority to bring you firearms into those countries.

It's only recently that NI and GB recognised each others licences. Prior to that, they each had to apply to the local police force. Bit like Carlow not recognising a licence issued in Louth!

So you apply as normal, just no EFP?

• Advertisement

So you apply as normal, just no EFP?

It is what I've been told by pals in the PSNI, but they themselves are still not 100% sure. Brexit is a total mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Got to shoot a real cz cadet .22 built on a steel cz75 frame so if o was to get something up there it'd be a 9mm :-)

Cass no bother with how your coming across, non of us know how anything will work out come Jan, it has been brought up at clubs but we are still in the dark. But I do believe it wont change too much if at all.

What I was trying to show in the shooter from EU and non EU getting licensed for NI is if your coming to shoot from Australia or Rep of Ireland to NI is that Aussie's don't have EU passes but still got licensed .I was trying to say that it is not a prerequisite to have a EU pass to be granted a visitors firearms pass for NI.

Cass no bother with how your coming across, non of us know how anything will work out come Jan, it has been brought up at clubs but we are still in the dark. But I do believe it wont change too much if at all.

What I was trying to show in the shooter from EU and non EU getting licensed for NI is if your coming to shoot from Australia or Rep of Ireland to NI is that Aussie's don't have EU passes but still got licensed .I was trying to say that it is not a prerequisite to have a EU pass to be granted a visitors firearms pass for NI.

True, if you're not in the EU, then you don't need an EU firearms pass. There were loads of non EU shooters at the World Police & Fire Games back in 2013, with their own firearms. The only issue there was processing so many, in a short space of time

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dax121

Anyone here with a restricted 22?

I know one lad, he doesn't post here who ended up with a restricted .22 pistol, courtesy of the f*K ups in the licensing fiascos when this was a high court thing.:rolleyes:

I had a restricted 22 also. Back in the day I told my chief super I was intilted to one as I had it pre 09. I wanted more than 5 shots for comp use. They can be subbed now

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

dax121 wrote: »
    I had a restricted 22 also. Back in the day I told my chief super I was intilted to one as I had it pre 09. I wanted more than 5 shots for comp use. They can be subbed now

Sorry, what can be subbed now ?

solarwinds wrote: »
    Sorry, what can be subbed now ?

Restricted short firearms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

dax121 wrote: »
    Restricted short firearms.

I have heard of a convoluted process whereby this can be done which entails resubbing for the original handgun every 3 years for the renewal, as the subbed handgun would be a new licence. Can a subbed handgun serial number be renewed every 3 years, which would be a new licence as the original licence had the previous handguns serial number.
    This would be interesting if allowed but I have not seen this mentioned anywhere else other than the continual subbing of handguns to renew the licence then sub it for the new one.

Advertisement