Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everton Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

certainly seem to be making progress - squad finally looking strong - still think we need a top class striker - but after last season muck , think we are finally heading in the right direction - by no means the finished article , and ther will be plenty of bumps on the road. outlook a lot more positive than 12 months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

United are there for the taking this weekend if we can finish the chances we had like v arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Started reasonably well without being great. Gomes should have scored but then almost gave up a poor goal to Mata.

United are there for the talking but I've seen Everton too many times in this situation. Playing reasonably well but always one soft goal away from folding

Ah there it is

A dive and a bad call. Clear touch on the ball from Gana.

A John Moss home town special. Martial lucky not to be booked.

Unlucky Pickford.

Where is the video referee in the premier league?

Goal started with Walcott losing the ball cheaply after Sigi had done brilliantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Why would Martial be booked? There was obvious contact

Why would Martial be booked? There was obvious contact

Ah ffs he stepped out of it and then threw himself to the ground a step later.

Either way, Gana did clearly touch the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Gana got a touch on the ball and Martial threw himself on the ground in response - the obvious conclusion is a penalty to United, well done ref!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭wally79

Gana got a touch on the ball and Martial threw himself on the ground in response - the obvious conclusion is a penalty to United, well done ref!

Super tackle and a dive. Will martial get banned like niasse did?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dubrov

Thought we played better than last week even though we lost.
    Nothing between the teams and it came down to a few moments.
    The ref gave us nothing as well with the dodgy peno and not giving a second yellow to Smalling for our peno.

Tough fixtures ahead

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

So the Everton players leg didn't catch Martial then?

Cos from where I'm sitting the Everton players leg caught Martial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Poor enough display, badly in need of a decent striker as Richarlison isn't the answer up top. Zouma was great, need to sign him up.

As for Old Trafford, great stadium but s*** fans, the amount that left with ten minutes to go was unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Gana got the ball and then there was contact. That's not a pen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Gana got the ball and then there was contact. That's not a pen.

If a player gets a touch on the ball, it moves forward and the opposing player running on to it is impeded by the defender, that's not a foul?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

If a player gets a touch on the ball, it moves forward and the opposing player running on to it is impeded by the defender, that's not a foul?

You mistakenly used a ? instead of a ! at the end of your sentence... ;)

Gueye gets a clear toe poke on the ball. It goes off Martial's left shin and heads out of play.. Martial keeps running in his original line (not toward the now deflected ball) and there is contact on his knee. He feels the contact and throws himself to the ground.

Closeup video available here a bit down

If that is a penalty the game of football is f@#ed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Keith Hackett's view

No VAR, no sense

Referee's view | Keith Hackett on the decision to award United a penalty against Everton

"The penalty awarded by Jon Moss for the challenge by Idrissa Gueye on Anthony Martial was another example of how we desperately need VAR in the Premier League.

From the angle Jon had I can totally understand why he pointed to the spot. But as more replays became available it was obvious that Gueye had actually got a touch on the ball before making any contact with Martial, who then went on to fall far too theatrically.

I think VAR would have seen that touch and overturned the decision. It really does baffle me that we can see at home that the decision was questionable, but the referee can’t do anything about it, and I think that needs to change"

Looked like a dive to me in the ground, on a second viewing there was contact but Gana got the ball. Moss be Moss though, he can't even keep up with the game ffs. Martial did a starfish tbf right enough.

Glad to see that Pogba miss his penalty, jeez he is so overrated.

no shock in getting no decisions at old trafford, its always that way - we really need a top quality striker , we have a load of average ones , who at this stage we should just offload.

No retrospective action against Martial, surprise surprise
    One rule for the Sky 6 and different rules for others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Becoming a big fan of the boy Rico. Liking what Silva is doing so far too, could and probably should have had a few more goals today.

Joshua J wrote: »
    Becoming a big fan of the boy Rico. Liking what Silva is doing so far too, could and probably should have had a few more goals today.

Gomes for me is the business. Midfield has much more purpose about it now.

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    Gomes for me is the business. Midfield has much more purpose about it now.

Finally an arteta type player. Keane is much improved this season too

Should have been 6-1
    We're still terrible at defending corners

Joshua J wrote: »
    Liking what Silva is doing so far too, could and probably should have had a few more goals today.

Me too , havnt been this optimistic for a long time - team seams to be shaping up nicely, especially after last seasons dirge, of going nowhere

Big psychological test next week. Need to start believing we can beat the top teams

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Should have been 6-1
    We're still terrible at defending corners

It’s worrying but Silva said in his post match interview that they had worked on it during the week and will continue to work on it. That at least is reassuring as he’s aware that the problem needs fixing.

Lumbo wrote: »
    It’s worrying but Silva said in his post match interview that they had worked on it during the week and will continue to work on it. That at least is reassuring as he’s aware that the problem needs fixing.

His face said it all after they equalised. Pure exasperation.

We go to sleep at corners
    Been a problem in the club since Martinez was appointed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

We go to sleep at corners
    Been a problem in the club since Martinez was appointed

Currently using zonal marking for which Silva makes no apologies. It’s really annoying because it only takes a decent delivery for someone attacking the ball to get a free header. He needs to change that. All in all you’d have to be satisfied with the start he’s made

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Gavlor wrote: »
    Currently using zonal marking for which Silva makes no apologies. It’s really annoying because it only takes a decent delivery for someone attacking the ball to get a free header. He needs to change that. All in all you’d have to be satisfied with the start he’s made
    Zonal marking is fine, once it's bedded down. That takes practice, and a lot of instinct to know what your teammates are doing. That was why I was getting frustrated at the lack of consistency in his team selections previously, but over the last few matches he has been much more consistent. Once the players get comfortable with it, zonal marking can be even more effective than man marking. It's harder to get right, but if they get it right it will be great, especially for the style of play generally that he is trying to implement. It'll likely be the second half of the season before everyone is fully comfortable with it though, given that I don't think any of the players are coming from a team that used it previously, but if it works the way it's intended, it'll be worth it for next season onwards.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Gavlor wrote: »

All of the best defensive units in Europe have used zonal marking for over 20 years. It’s not a systems problem, it’s an application problem.

Look at the current Juve team. They use zonal marking at corners, but the tradition is so deeply inbedded that it works like a dream. Everton need to reproduce that, but it’ll take time.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Well earned point away to Chelsea. Played some good stuff at times too.

Great to see a clean sheet away from home. Even better to do it away to Chelsea.

Another set of corrupt officials today.

Jorginho should have been off, don't know how Mina was booked.
    The quicker VAR is introduced the better for the non top 5/6 teams

Plus Liverpool get awarded a goal that was clearly offside. Ineptitude is rampant among officials. It's like they don't believe one of the sky favourites can be beaten

Home game v Cardiff today.

We should be winning this with almost a full squad

Home game v Cardiff today.

We should be winning this with almost a full squad

Next 4 are all very winnable.

eh i dunno wrote:
    Next 4 are all very winnable.

You've gone and blown it now :)

Fantastic to grind out a 1-0 win
    Progressing nicely

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Fantastic to grind out a 1-0 win
    Progressing nicely
    Definitely need a natural attacker, Tosun isn't up to it, and Richarlison is better out wide. If we have someone who can put away the chances, we'll not only be winning these games much more comfortably, we'll be beating the top teams as well. We are creating lots of opportunities, it's just that last bit in front of goal that we are lacking.

Defensively, there's still plenty of room for improvement, but we are 100 times better than last season! It was also nice that when we went 1-0 up, we set up to try to go 2-0 up, last season we'd have tried to shut up shop (and likely failed...)

Think lookman is very close to a start. Walcott has ðŸ average enough and Bernard not much better. Gomes is a cracking player

Think lookman is very close to a start. Walcott has ðŸ average enough and Bernard not much better. Gomes is a cracking player

Walcott has a few good chances to pass and took on a low % shot every time. Does that too much. Build up is v good but disappointing end product

Need to make Gomes permanent now

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

Walcott is dire. Needs dropping immediately.

Walcott is dire. Needs dropping immediately.

And replace him with who?

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Brian? wrote: »

Lookman has looked lovely the last few sub appearances.

his football isn't bad either

He’s good off the bench alright. But he’s still developing. Even if he takes Walcott’s place, no way would I sell Walcott.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

Brian? wrote: »

Lookman. As others have said, not the finished article but contributes more than Walcott.

Lookman. As others have said, not the finished article but contributes more than Walcott.

But we already have Lookman, you're talking about selling Walcott. Who would we replace him with. Personally, I'd like to see Everton break the bank to sign Hirving Lazano.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
Advertisement