Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New England Patriots Thread Mod Warning Post #253

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

Henry Anderson DL former Jets, was brought in late last night also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,567 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

No official figures yet but rough calcs have us at around $15m space left - that's a crude estimate and could be way off depending on how some of today's deals are structured.

Hopefully there's enough to bring Andrews back.

Hightower rumoured to be restructuring to free up 6 million. A Gilmore trade would free up the same amount.

Though I have to admit - if we lost Thuney, Andrews and and Gilmore, we're worse than we were last year.

He have bring back Andrews. I was surprised that we didn't do a trade for one of the three, could still see that happening if we're going to move up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

He have bring back Andrews. I was surprised that we didn't do a trade for one of the three, could still see that happening if we're going to move up.

We have a habit of letting these big name leaders go and test free agency, and then matching the offers they get. We did it with Hightower, McCourty and Slater recently enough. I think we did the same with Edelman if I'm not mistaken?

Hopefully the same story here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭DBIreland

Hunter Henry signs now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,223 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

That's all well and good when youi have a potential winning team, with the goat at QB.

No one's taking a pay cut to play on a ~500 team with a mediocre QB.

• Advertisement

We've apparently been in contact with Leonard Fournette and Chris Carson. I guess that means James White isn't returning. End of an era if so - Brady has had some great third down backs during his tenure. Faulk, Woodhead, Vereen, Lewis... but White has been the best for me.

He was robbed of a Super Bowl MVP.

I'd put the house on him reuniting with Brady in Tampa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Henry, Smith, Agholor, Bourne, Edelman, Meyers.... SOMEONE will be open, lets hope Cam's shoulder holds up better this year.

At this point I'll be happy if they'd stop signing FA's and just extend Andrews already...

Surely this points to us going after a better QB option than Cam. That's too much investment in offensive players for the ball to be chucked into the dirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭cosatron

Surely this points to us going after a better QB option than Cam. That's too much investment in offensive players for the ball to be chucked into the dirt.

His going to move up for mac Jones.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

cosatron wrote: »

It definitely looks like they're trading up for a QB but to me it points that they'll want one of the QBs that can run - maybe Lance.

Not only would it be strange to have a backup/mentor for a rookie to have such a different skillset, if it was Jones, but a QB that can run suits those those new players better and opens up many more options with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,960 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

We have two decent pass catching tight ends and a decent group of receivers. Mac Jones will do well with that group I think.
    Any rookie is a risk but he is very similar in many ways to the GOAT. He has great footwork in the pocket, a quick check down and release and he seems to always make the right decision when things break down. I'm not saying he is even close, or ever will be, to the level of no.12, just that he does similar things well. I hope he's our guy and I hope he works out.
    Newton has leadership qualities and I think that's why he's back. I'd imagine they'll use him deep in the red zone quite a bit. I can see Jones or whoever we draft in a game manager role like they did early on with Brady.

eagle eye wrote: »
    We have two decent pass catching tight ends and a decent group of receivers. Mac Jones will do well with that group I think.
    Any rookie is a risk but he is very similar in many ways to the GOAT. He has great footwork in the pocket, a quick check down and release and he seems to always make the right decision when things break down. I'm not saying he is even close, or ever will be, to the level of no.12, just that he does similar things well. I hope he's our guy and I hope he works out.
    Newton has leadership qualities and I think that's why he's back. I'd imagine they'll use him deep in the red zone quite a bit. I can see Jones or whoever we draft in a game manager role like they did early on with Brady.

Jones, though having limitations, is a much better athlete than the other QB we discussed recently. He still scares me but he'd do well in more places.

He could work for the Patriots if they shifted back to a system similar to what they ran with Brady but it is severely dampening the upside of what they were showing for Cam. Being able to set up with 2 good TEs who can run block for the RB while also potentially leaking out on routes is good but when the QB can also breakaway it takes things to the next level. He can also learn a lot more from Cam playing that style than trying to be a pocket passer.

I get why some Patriots fans would want to go to the guy that reminds them of Brady but what we've seen from brining in Cam and bringing him back Bill has moved on. Even looking at the signings, the players Jones was successful with don't align at all with what the Patriots went after. Jones might be able to make it work but if he is 'his guy' then it doesn't look like he is going to make it a smooth transition.

Foxtrol wrote:
    Jones, though having limitations, is a much better athlete than the other QB we discussed recently. He still scares me but he'd do well in more places.
    In what way is he a better athlete? I'd imagine their 40 times will be very similar, within a tenth of the 5 second mark either way. I wouldn't be calling which is faster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,435 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Yeah cant imagine they paid this much for targets to run around and pick balls up off the ground

In what way is he a better athlete? I'd imagine their 40 times will be very similar, within a tenth of the 5 second mark either way. I wouldn't be calling which is faster.

Similar as last time we discussed QBs. He is more mobile in the pocket, he scrambles better and more impactfully, he moves out of the pocket and throws on the move better, and most importantly his arm is significantly better.

Foxtrol wrote:
    Similar as last time we discussed QBs. He is more mobile in the pocket, he scrambles better and more impactfully, he moves out of the pocket and throws on the move better, and most importantly his arm is significantly better.
    His arm is better where?
    He doesn't scramble much at all.
    He rarely moves out of the pocket.
    He certainly is better in the pocket.

You'd swear he was a good runner the way you describe him. He certainly is not a good runner.

His arm is better where?
    He doesn't scramble much at all.
    He rarely moves out of the pocket.
    He certainly is better in the pocket.

You'd swear he was a good runner the way you describe him. He certainly is not a good runner.

I'm in no way saying Jones is a good or even an average QB runner or close to being a top tier athlete, my point is that he is better in those than Trask because Trask is near the bottom. We've accepted that whatever your eyes are seeing with Trask, mine do not.

I said last week that I was done with going around in circles with Trask, I regret the minor reference to him within my larger post about Jones and Patriots likelihood of moving up for a more mobile QB than Jones - I have absolutely no interest in being sucked back into a Trask discussion.

Foxtrol wrote:
    I said last week that I was done with going around in circles with Trask, I regret the minor reference to him within my larger post about Jones and Patriots likelihood of moving up for a more mobile QB than Jones - I have absolutely no interest in being sucked back into a Trask discussion.
    You brought him up and I'd guess it was by design.
    Off with you.

Andrews not returning, per Doug Kyed. Rolling with Ted Karras as center next year who they've resigned.

Very disappointing to lose both Thunney and Andrews.

We've put a 2nd round tender on JC Jackson, which to me seems ludicrously risky considering many metrics (and opinions) had him as a top 10 CB last year.

• Advertisement

We've put a 2nd round tender on JC Jackson, which to me seems ludicrously risky considering many metrics (and opinions) had him as a top 10 CB last year.
    He certainly wasn't anywhere near top ten last year. He had a lot of picks but he made plenty of mistakes too. He's not the finished article yet but if he sticks around for another two years he'll get a big contract then.

He certainly wasn't anywhere near top ten last year. He had a lot of picks but he made plenty of mistakes too. He's not the finished article yet but if he sticks around for another two years he'll get a big contract then.

He trailed off a bit at the end of the year, but he was fantastic for most of it.

PFF have him allowing the lowest passer rating of all CBs since 2019. The picks will skew that, but we'd be foolish to let him walk unless we use that 2nd round pick as capital for a QB.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Karras would be ideal as cover for C/G, so hopefully that's the plan and we find another Centre in FA or the draft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,383 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

cosatron wrote: »

I don't think the Pats will have to move up for Mac Jones. He's probably still there at 15.

Now they would probably have to move up a bit for Trey Lance. Maybe into the 10-12 range. Possibly top 10. It's doable though.

Moving up for Fields would be tough. You'd have to get all the way into the top 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,166 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

KVN is returning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Bill didn't enjoy seeing that front 7 getting run over last year, defence looks great on paper.

Aside from the questions over Cam's arm, I think we look pretty good on paper across the board.

QB: Cam/Stidham
    RB: Harris/Michel/Taylor/Bolden
    FB: Johnson/Vitale
    WR: Agholor/Edelman/Bourne/Meyers/Harry/Lee
    TE: Henry/Smith/Asiasi
    OL: Wynn/Onwenu/Karras/Mason/Brown/Herron/Cunningham/Cadjuste/Martin

DL: Wise Jr./Godchaux/Henderson/Allen/Cowert
    LB: Hightower/Judon/KVN/Bentley/Winovich/Uche
    CB: Gilmore/Jackson/Jones/Mills/Williams
    S: McCourty/Dugger/Chung/Phillips/Davis

ST: Bailey/Cordona/Slater/Folk/Bethel

Hopefully our draft will be picking up a new QB2 to sit behind Cam and improving the depth we have at OL, DL & RB.

Aside from the question marks over Cam, I don't see any holes left in the team.
    There are a couple of areas that could be made stronger, like our interior OL after losing Adnrews and Thuney, but are far from weak and can work with better depth behind the starters.

Looks like Marquise Lee and Beau Allen were cut last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,223 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

We've a much better team than last year. The optouts really hurt our defense.

• Advertisement

Looks like Marquise Lee and Beau Allen were cut last night.
    Two positions to look at in the draft then.
    If we are not going to draft high at QB I'd love us to take a look at Sean Mannion. Backup for the Rams and Vikings for the last couple of years. He's 28 now. Always felt he could be a good one in the NFL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,166 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Patrick Chung announces retirement. Great servant explains the Mills signing

paulie21 wrote: »
    Patrick Chung announces retirement. Great servant explains the Mills signing

Played in the playoffs 11 seasons in a row starting from his rookie year. Only player in NFL history to do that.

As an aside, looks like the Cannon trade is slightly more favourable than initially reported. Was first reported as swapping 4th, 5th and 6th round picks. But this is better.

https://twitter.com/MikeReiss/status/1372504049271050242?s=19

Also, @PatsCap has us sittint at $26m cap space which includes everything except -

- Trent Brown trade
    - Bethel and Karras signings
    - Chung retirement

The Chung retirement is tricky - it looks like it will save us cap space this year at the expense of next year's cap if processed after June 1st. The other way around (costs us this year, creates space next year) if processed before that.

Nick Folk has re-signed for another year - he was rock solid last year.

We have also picked up former Packer DL Montravius Adams. Don't know a thing about him, other than he was a 3rd round pick in 2017, but was never more than a rotational player in Green Bay.

Ryan Izzo has been traded to Houston for a 7th rounder - nice to get something for him as he was certain to be cut with the TE additions this week. Caserio sure is picking up a lot of former Patriot players - Cannon, Rivers, Brooks, Izzo.

We don't have a whole lot of holes on the roster as it stands - Center/Guard, RB, maybe a true #1 WR, Inside Linebacker, and of course QB. I could see us packaging a few picks to move up in the first round - maybe into the 8-12 range to get a QB?

David Andrews is coming back. Fantastic news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Great news, was sure he was gone and he turned down better offers.

Andrews coming back is fantastic.
    Either Onwenu or Karras can be used at LG now, should be a very strong starting group up front.

I see Kyle Fuller just hit the open market...wonder if Bill is scheming....

Raekwon McMillan signed on a 1 year deal. Was highly rated coming out of college, didn't really love up to it. The TL;DR seems to be he's solid against the run, terrible in coverage.

It seems the NFL made an error in the initial compensatory picks calculations, and we've now been awarded another- a 5th rounder.

James White coming back now too, which I'm delighted with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭ssshhh123

Is there any fan clubs or supporters clubs in general in ireland for the patriots, or for nfl teams...

Or do lads/ladies jyst meet up down tge pub to watch a game have a chat

James White coming back now too, which I'm delighted with.

A Lawrence Guy return is close too, according to Mike Reiss.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    A Lawrence Guy return is close too, according to Mike Reiss.

Great stuff. Very important player for us.

So it looks very likely now that all of the best QB prospects will be off the board before we pick....

On one hand, crap, we have another season coming without a long term solution to follow.
    On the other, the QB grab at the top could see some guys who were top-5 talent wise fall outside the top 10...

The Jets are apparently very interested in Wilson, and SF making it clear they're going to choose a QB at 3 and seem very keen on Jones.
    We could very well see Lawrence 1, Wilson 2, Jones 3, Lance/Fields 4, Lance/Fields 8.
    I don't think we'll grab Trask at 15, too much of a stretch for him there, hopefully he's still there in the 2nd with pick 46.

Aside from a WR like Waddle though, I don't see anyone who's likely to still be on the board that would fill much of a need for us at 15 - and be worth choosing with that pick.
    After all the hype of this offseason, it would be such a BB move to trade out of the first round again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭Christy42

BizzyC wrote: »
    So it looks very likely now that all of the best QB prospects will be off the board before we pick....

On one hand, crap, we have another season coming without a long term solution to follow.
    On the other, the QB grab at the top could see some guys who were top-5 talent wise fall outside the top 10...

The Jets are apparently very interested in Wilson, and SF making it clear they're going to choose a QB at 3 and seem very keen on Jones.
    We could very well see Lawrence 1, Wilson 2, Jones 3, Lance/Fields 4, Lance/Fields 8.
    I don't think we'll grab Trask at 15, too much of a stretch for him there, hopefully he's still there in the 2nd with pick 46.

Aside from a WR like Waddle though, I don't see anyone who's likely to still be on the board that would fill much of a need for us at 15 - and be worth choosing with that pick.
    After all the hype of this offseason, it would be such a BB move to trade out of the first round again...

I am not sure that the Falcons will take a QB. Though it does seem like SF are hot on Jones and I can imagine they will make bank on that pick if Fields falls that far. Even without trades Broncos seem likely to take a QB as well if one falls that far and BB seems unlikely to move up even that far.

Edelman has been released, with a failed physical designation. A sad, but probably inevitable outcome. He is a Patriots legend, loved watching him compete.

I hope this was amicable. What a career and what a story.

Edit: I'm behind, just seen that's it's a formality for retirement. Off to the sunset Jules, we love you.

Well it's official, he's retired.

Being cut first with a failed injury designation means he can collect a $2m injury benefit under the CBA.

Not that he needs the money, but good on the team to look after him like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

No matter how many times I see that catch against the Falcons, I still can't figure out, HOW!! Nice little video here.

https://twitter.com/Edelman11/status/1381722282570170373?s=19

Good night, Sweet Prince

• Advertisement
Advertisement