Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M21 - Limerick to Rathkeale/Foynes [advance works to commence shortly]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Just goes to show that a finger can be gotten out when necessary still.

I know this took years to get to this stage, but the minute the Ryder Cup came on the cards this one suddenly happened to get fast tracked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I know this took years to get to this stage, but the minute the Ryder Cup came on the cards this one suddenly happened to get fast tracked.

Has it been fast tracked?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

No it hasn't been fast tracked. The Ryder cup was announced in July. This was supposed to have been signed off by cabinet and sent to ABP in Q1, then Q2 and then Q3. It finally got signed off in on Oct 30th. It's a year late going to ABP and it will be at least another 6 years before a car drives on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭steeler j

Was the planning application was submitted?
    Taught I saw it on a local paper

• Registered Users Posts: 19,386 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Not really- this scheme has been needed for about 3 decades. It’s certainly not fast tracked by any stretch. Delayed and stalled beyond belief more like it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Limerick74

steeler j wrote: »
    Was the planning application was submitted?
    Taught I saw it on a local paper

Yes submitted last week to An Bord Pleanála https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/502223/planning-application-for-limerick-to-foynes-road-submitted-to-an-bord-pleanala.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mushman2020

Driving through Croagh today, loads of posters up against new road. "save our Village" "No to second bypass".

looks like not everyone is happy.......

Driving through Croagh today, loads of posters up against new road. "save our Village" "No to second bypass".

looks like not everyone is happy.......

So they're against replacing a road that bypasses the village to the South with another road that bypasses the village to the North? Even though they're getting a totally undeserved motorway junction for their tiny village? Give me strength.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Amusing stuff. Save our village from losing the 700 trucks and other heavy vehicles that rattle through the place every day.

So they're against replacing a road that bypasses the village to the South with another road that bypasses the village to the North? Even though they're getting a totally undeserved motorway junction for their tiny village? Give me strength.

Are these people pathologically insane? The village ya already bypassed so negligible effects on any local business as they aren’t stopping already plus the double benefits of a good quality link road onto a new motorway that bypasses the horror of Adare. What am I missing here? These cranks surely have zero local support?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

marno21 wrote: »
    Amusing stuff. Save our village from losing the 700 trucks and other heavy vehicles that rattle through the place every day.

Maybe they think that all that traffic is of economic benefit to the town when the truth is those drivers want to get through the place as quickly as possible and have no intention of stopping or spending a penny. The people who would spend money are the locals and are more likely to do so if the place isn't clogged with heavy traffic, as other bypassed towns have discovered.

Could it be the Garden centre /small hotel that are behind this? Only business I can think of that benefits from the passing trade

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Agreed, if anything they are being treated very generously and their junction is unnecessary really. It was only added to placate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭pajoguy

This project has been delayed by 18 months if not more between officialdom in T.I.I. and the incompetent Minister for Transport. Huge politicial interference to get this village their own interchange and now they are going to attempt to stand in the way of a badly needed upgrade to a road that alresdy bypasses the village. Madness.

pajoguy wrote: »
    This project has been delayed by 18 months if not more between officialdom in T.I.I. and the incompetent Minister for Transport. Huge politicial interference to get this village their own interchange and now they are going to attempt to stand in the way of a badly needed upgrade to a road that alresdy bypasses the village. Madness.

More like two decades! There’s no secret that Adare was going to be bypassed at some stage (should have been years ago) and that part at least of the current N21 would be bypassed likely linking in with the Rathkeale bypass part. Absolutely outrageous that people in a hamlet of zero significance not even on the mainline N21 would be kicking off. Rentamob stuff just for the sake of it

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Decision due from An Bord Pleanala on 18th June.

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/306146.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Decision due from An Bord Pleanala on 18th June.

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/306146.htm

Was sh1t like this always so slow when the MIUs were being planned. A slowth would have our last few planned roads progressed faster

Project Ireland 2040 documents published today suggest that this will go to tender in 2022. That would likely indicate a 2023 start and a 2025/2026 opening

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/b701fc-minister-donohoe-publishes-project-ireland-2040-updates-progress-and/

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Project Ireland 2040 documents published today suggest that this will go to tender in 2022. That would likely indicate a 2023 start and a 2025/2026 opening

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/b701fc-minister-donohoe-publishes-project-ireland-2040-updates-progress-and/

I'm sure they'll want it open by September 2026! :P

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭prunudo

Typical BS Leader article.

Typical of every infrastructure project lately, locals claim there isn't enough contact with engineers during route selection phase. In other words 'I want to be in the room with them so I ensure it doesn't effect me and screw everyone else'

I would have thought 10 houses for a 450m project was pretty low. And as I've said on other infrastructure threads, we have to accept that there will some collateral damage when it comes to providing these large scale projects. How many people give a seconds thought for the people that were effected as they travel safely along the other inter urbans. It only becomes a concern when it effects their own property.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

From the article:
    "But he reckoned that over 50% of landowners would lodge an objection of some kind with An Bord Pleanála before the deadline of February 14, in the hope of mitigating their own situation or getting some concessions. He estimated only a small few would lodge outright objections."
    'Nuff said.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Adare2019

The closing date for submissions on this project is today so I rang An Bord Pleanala to see when they hoped to hold the Oral Hearing. The Oral Hearing for the Galway Bypass starts next week and the SID guys are up the walls. Their best guess is no Oral Hearing until July (or maybe September). My best guess is, therefore, no decision before the end of 2020 (despite a "Decision Date" of 18 June 2020 on their website). Having a road for the Ryder Cup looking increasingly doubtful if there are any more delays (such as a Judicial Review).

Adare2019 wrote: »
    The closing date for submissions on this project is today so I rang An Bord Pleanala to see when they hoped to hold the Oral Hearing. The Oral Hearing for the Galway Bypass starts next week and the SID guys are up the walls. Their best guess is no Oral Hearing until July (or maybe September). My best guess is, therefore, no decision before the end of 2020 (despite a "Decision Date" of 18 June 2020 on their website). Having a road for the Ryder Cup looking increasingly doubtful if there are any more delays (such as a Judicial Review).

It was never going to be through planning by June. All of these types of projects take a year or so for planning.

The Ryder Cup is still 6 1/2 years away. If this gets permission by early 2021 they still have 5 1/2 years for CPOs, tender award and construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

prunudo wrote: »
    Typical of every infrastructure project lately, locals claim there isn't enough contact with engineers during route selection phase. In other words 'I want to be in the room with them so I ensure it doesn't effect me and screw everyone else'

Perhaps there isn’t enough of an understanding of the route selection process and external factors.
    Maybe we should consider an education program in schools getting kids to design a route from A-B with various constraints (environmental) etc. in the way?

I also think there is a serious lack of knowledge about the design process as a whole. Simple YouTube videos showing the options and the steps taken would be a massive help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭270WIN

Will this road be under pressure to be built now for obvious reasons?

Nobody knows. But it is a Ten-T route required by the EU to be built by 2030. And at best it's at least 3 years from going to construction.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ryder Cup almost inevitably going to get pushed out a year - this happened last time we hosted (due to 9/11 that time) and its quite likely the road infrastructure works done for it - the N7 widening/separation and the L2007 pavement replacement) wouldn't have been done in time without it

History repeating here, it seems.

Advertisement