Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Fights **Mod note: Keep discussion to fight night threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Interesting that BT haven't picked up the rights to Frampton v Herring. Will be shown live on IFL TV's YouTube channel. Wonder if BT backed out after the panorama documentary or if they just didn't want the fight for other reasons. The timing is very interesting.

https://twitter.com/Irishboxingcom/status/1375075743626055685?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Dennis Hogan stepping in there with Tim Tszyu on wednesday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭fitzparker

but1er wrote: »

EIR sports are showing it. Working from home has its benefits!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,019 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

What time are we expecting it to start?

Paddy Power saying 10am.:P

Frampton fight I think has been picked up by channel 5 which is good.

I know its a rubbish station, but its does have some good fights, bellator etc now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Rjd2 wrote: »
    What time are we expecting it to start?

Paddy Power saying 10am.:P

Frampton fight I think has been picked up by channel 5 which is good.

I know its a rubbish station, but its does have some good fights, bellator etc now and then.

From Dazn Website

" Date : Wednesday, March 31
    Coverage : 7 p.m. AEDT / 4 a.m. ET / 9 a.m. GMT
    Tszyu vs. Hogan (approx): 10:30 p.m. AEDT / 7:30 a.m. ET / 12.30 p.m. GMT
    The Tim Tszyu vs. Dennis Hogan fight card takes place on Wednesday, March 31 at 7 p.m. AEDT / 4 a.m. ET / 9 a.m. GMT. Tszyu and Hogan are expected to make their ring walks at approximately ​10:30 p.m. AEDT / 7:30 a.m. ET / 12.30 p.m. GMT, although that depends on the length of the earlier bouts."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Butson

From Dazn Website

" Date : Wednesday, March 31
    Coverage : 7 p.m. AEDT / 4 a.m. ET / 9 a.m. GMT
    Tszyu vs. Hogan (approx): 10:30 p.m. AEDT / 7:30 a.m. ET / 12.30 p.m. GMT
    The Tim Tszyu vs. Dennis Hogan fight card takes place on Wednesday, March 31 at 7 p.m. AEDT / 4 a.m. ET / 9 a.m. GMT. Tszyu and Hogan are expected to make their ring walks at approximately ​10:30 p.m. AEDT / 7:30 a.m. ET / 12.30 p.m. GMT, although that depends on the length of the earlier bouts."

Not showing up on my Dazn app. Is that due to eir having the rights in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Butson

Hogan 5/1

Seems very wide?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Hogan tough as it gets but Tszyu just levels above. Body shots killed him. Right decision throwing the towel in before that got any uglier.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,692 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Morrison J wrote: »
    Hogan tough as it gets but Tszyu just levels above. Body shots killed him. Right decision throwing the towel in before that got any uglier.

Joke

I recorded whole show and didn’t get the Hogan fight. Started close to 1300 Irish time....

Got the highlights. Hogan had nothing to offer really. Too weak. Tsyzu walked through him with ease..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Eric Donovan fights for the vacant EU Super-Featherweight title away in Italy on May 14th.
    Mario Alfano is his opponent, looks limited, but physically fairly strong, good endurance and good workrate.

Technically Donovan should be on another level, but as it's a 12 round fight and away in Italy it's still could be a tough task.

• Advertisement

Big Ears wrote: »
    Eric Donovan fights for the vacant EU Super-Featherweight title away in Italy on May 14th.
    Mario Alfonte is his opponent, looks limited, but physically fairly strong, good endurance and good workrate.

Technically Donovan should be on another level, but as it's a 12 round fight and away in Italy it's still could be a tough task.

Tough, strong, durable, 12 rounds...

Pro boxing....

Technical means jack sh1t at times....

Donovan is an amateur boxer....

I must take a look at Alfonte. But if he is strong and fit and pressing, then that doesn’t bode well for Donovan’s style.

walshb wrote: »
    Tough, strong, durable, 12 rounds...

Pro boxing....

Technical means jack sh1t at times....

Donovan is an amateur boxer....

I must take a look at Alfonte. But if he is strong and fit and pressing, then that doesn’t bode well for Donovan’s style.

*Alfano, I was tired earlier and must have invented a random Italian name.

https://youtu.be/bc8tCvbHoso Vs Haithem Laamouez
    https://youtu.be/D0ixwjsUwkA Vs Lavisas Williams
    https://youtu.be/VsG4YvMztMU Vs Nicola Cipoletta (former Michael Conlan opponent)

The first two fights are his losses. Probably worth noting Laamouez popped for steroids at some point after that fight, hence why Donovan isn't fighting him.
    Lucky imo as physically he's even stronger again and would have been tricky.
    It'll be interesting to see how well Alfano takes shots from Donovan, as Eric shouldn't have any trouble finding him, and the difference in technical ability may mean he can really load up on his shots of he wants to.

Interesting what you mention about Donovan.
    I was listening to an interview he did on Off the Ball yesterday.
    Paschal Collins is now his main trainer (with Kenny Egan relegated to an assistant role), and Donovan touched on the fact he had a very amateur style.
    Moving excessively on his toes, jerky jerky, always moving and wasting loads of energy.
    He's talked about calming that down a bit and being more efficient.

He also discussed doing proper strength training for the first time. Previously he had only ever done light circuit work, no heavy compounds or major strength work, considering physical strength was definitely an issue for him, that could prove dividends.
    I'm surprised in a way, Donovan would have been part of the high performance team for some time and I assume they'd have had an S&C coach with them. Very surprising if that individual wasn't doing any form of heavy squats, deadlift or heavy resistance training with them, but I suppose the IABA don't always make the best of decisions in appointments.

Morrison J wrote: »
    Interesting that BT haven't picked up the rights to Frampton v Herring. Will be shown live on IFL TV's YouTube channel. Wonder if BT backed out after the panorama documentary or if they just didn't want the fight for other reasons. The timing is very interesting.

https://twitter.com/Irishboxingcom/status/1375075743626055685?s=19

Not much word about this, but Channel 5 have picked up the fight and will be showing it live from 22:00 today (Saturday).
    The undercard will still be shown on IFL TV's YouTube from 19:00.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Looking forward to it, hoping Carl can pull it off but I strongly fancy a Herring win.

Pretty much dead even with the bookies..

Carl past his best, but not by too much.

Herring is not great...

This day four weeks Saunders faces his first world class opponent...

Will he make it to the venue do we think?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,148 ✭✭✭✭blade1

This day four weeks Saunders faces his first world class opponent...

Will he make it to the venue do we think?

I think he will.
    Will it make it out in one piece though?

blade1 wrote: »
    I think he will.
    Will it make it out in one piece though?

Canelo likely wins every minute of every round while it lasts..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I’d love Saunders to go and win it. Can’t see it for a second and I don’t even really like him but I’d like to see the apple cart upended.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,148 ✭✭✭✭blade1

squinn2912 wrote: »
    I’d love Saunders to go and win it. Can’t see it for a second and I don’t even really like him but I’d like to see the apple cart upended.

Ah here, I hope he gets the shìte pasted out of him.
    Some horrible carry on out of him over the years.

• Advertisement

blade1 wrote: »
    Ah here, I hope he gets the shìte pasted out of him.
    Some horrible carry on out of him over the years.

Yea he’s a total as*hole but I just wanna see the empire crumble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

There’s no circumstances I would be happy seeing Billy Joe winning. He’s a horrible person.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,019 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    There’s no circumstances I would be happy seeing Billy Joe winning. He’s a horrible person.

I'm pissed off that he actually got the payday.

Unless related or you have a bet on him, can't understand how anyone could cheer him on and yeah I know Saul isn't an angel either.

I just cannot see any kind of decent offense that Saunders can put on Canelo...

It will be like gentle raindrops hitting Canelo, assuming the raindrops even land....

I predict it being a steady and easy walk down type fight for Canelo, with Saunders, much like Smith, offering eff all in offense, and trying so hard to simply survive....

Mid to later rds stoppage....possible feigning injury from Saunders.....

Yea Saunders can be tricky and slippery but that’s not going to be enough to win against a pound for pound. I think it’ll be an utter mismatch. Actually think Smith would beat Saunders or rather would have before that showing vs Canelo. From the point of view of the fight I want to see a competitive one. I don’t have any great admiration for Saunders. Funny thing is that people seem to take issue with anyone supporting the likes of Saunders... same time then they will idolise Tyson or La Motta. Anyhow possibly best to steer away from that discussion, in the fight Canelo will destroy him. I think he’ll feel him out for a few rounds and then will fight like GGG does, constant pressure going forward. Saunders might need to hope for the lucky counter.

squinn2912 wrote: »
    I think he’ll feel him out for a few rounds and then will fight like GGG does, constant pressure going forward. Saunders might need to hope for the lucky counter.

Please tell me by lucky counter you are not implying a KO possibility here?

Nah I can’t see it happening. His only hope for me is a wild swing but that’s not his game and I think Canelo will be all over him that much he won’t be able to get it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Senor Frog

I remember a few years back before he fought Andy Lee , I could only see it going Andy's way with him a very good boxer and a heavy puncher...but BJS surprised me that night when he dropped Lee hard , not saying that Canelo and Lee are of the same standard or type of fighter but to complete discount BJS having enough power to get respect / a ko seems a bit ott for me ...

Senor Frog wrote: »
    I remember a few years back before he fought Andy Lee , I could only see it going Andy's way with him a very good boxer and a heavy puncher...but BJS surprised me that night when he dropped Lee hard , not saying that Canelo and Lee are of the same standard or type of fighter but to complete discount BJS having enough power to get respect / a ko seems a bit ott for me ...

I’m happy to completely discount Saunders here getting Canelo’s respect..

Canelo has a granite chin and granite body..

Lee had a weak chin and weak body...

Saunders’ punches, if he lands them will be like gentle raindrops on Canelo..

Wait for the May 9 headline now: Saunders blasts Canelo out with vicious one punch KO!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Senor Frog

I’m happy to completely discount Saunders here getting Canelo’s respect..

Canelo has a granite chin and granite body..

Lee had a weak chin and weak body...

Saunders’ punches, if he lands them will be like gentle raindrops on Canelo..

Wait for the May 9 headline now: Saunders blasts Canelo out with vicious one punch KO!!

That's fair enough , on that point can anyone remember Canelo being properly hurt in a fight?

Advertisement