Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Fights **Mod note: Keep discussion to fight night threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Looks like Manny and Ryan Garcia is a done deal

This Garcia kid could be huge if he manages to get the win . No guarantee though i'd fancy Manny to stop him

Almost as bizarre and out of the blue as Khan-Canelo a few years back...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

walshb wrote: »
    Almost as bizarre and out of the blue as Khan-Canelo a few years back...

Who do you pick?

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Who do you pick?

I’d have to go with Manny, assuming he has something left..

Could be a Hatton type KO as well..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭dougm1970

exhibition fight ??

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Butson

Looks like Canelo v Billy Joe Saunders confirmed for May

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Butson wrote: »
    Looks like Canelo v Billy Joe Saunders confirmed for May

Is Canelo not fighting Yildrim next?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Is Canelo not fighting Yildrim next?

The deal is agreed apparently once Canelo comes through Yildrim unscathed in February.
    I can't imagine Yildrim would give him too many problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

The deal is agreed apparently once Canelo comes through Yildrim unscathed in February.
    I can't imagine Yildrim would give him too many problems.

Agreed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Butson

Fair play to Canelo.
    That would be 3 fights in 5 months.

Butson wrote: »
    Fair play to Canelo.
    That would be 3 fights in 5 months.

Yes

I was thinking this, too.

He must feel that these lads are just like beating up kids....

Barely broke sweat dominating a woeful Smith.

Can take them on in his sleep at this stage

Yildrim is very average; sure Eubank obliterated him

BJS will present movement issues, and that is it.....running, messing, spoiling and pitter patter crap!

He has no chance to be in any way offensively successful....Canelo either stops him late or wins a wide and easy decision.

Or expect BJS to get caught cheating again, injure himself, or even retiring! The guy has no interest in fighting any decent opposition.

• Advertisement

The two Calebs fight tonight.

Plant v Truax

I expect Plant to dominate. Super boxer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭dougm1970

"BJS will present movement issues, and that is it.....running, messing, spoiling and pitter patter crap!

He has no chance to be in any way offensively successful..."

well....yeah....all that and he'll be flicking a jab from a long safe range on his toes.

one bit i dont agree on though is i think all that is pricisely how billy joe could beat canelo...hes not daft enough to fight him.
    keeps away and flicks a jab ...a boring fight, on his back foot...but if that flicking jab lands enough times, without him getting hit in return while he dances out of range...if...if...he can stay out of trouble...and manage to win 7 rounds on the scorecards with ugliness....that gets him the win.

Canelo far too good to be caught consistently with any flicking jabs..

Canelo likely walks Saunders down methodically and dominates the fight where it matters, offensively. Saunders will feel
    Canelo’s power early and will go into survival mode.

Plant, as expected had a shutout win last night vs Truax.

Hopefully later this year him and Canelo unify the 168 lbs division.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭fitzparker

As much as I like BJS as a boxer (as a person he is an absolute clown) his problem is he wont come near to KO'ing Canelo, he can jab all he wants, unless he puts him in a coffin he might get a draw out of it.

BJS can put Canelo on his arse and it wouldn't surprise me if a judge gives the round a 10-9 to Canelo.

fitzparker wrote: »
    As much as I like BJS as a boxer (as a person he is an absolute clown) his problem is he wont come near to KO'ing Canelo, he can jab all he wants, unless he puts him in a coffin he might get a draw out of it.

BJS can put Canelo on his arse and it wouldn't surprise me if a judge gives the round a 10-9 to Canelo.

Other than the Floyd fight, where has Canelo been gifted decisions...he got a draw on one judge's card.

He won all his fights......bar Floyd

So no gifts....he actually won them.....

Ridiculous overplayed this Canelo getting gifts...

I gave him the win vs. GGG in fight 2...

I scored for GGG in fight 1, but no way was a draw a gift. The first fight was razor close....

And BJS is putting nobody on their arses, so it's a moot point.....he has no chance to win, because he is nowhere near good enough to beat Canelo.

Fury spouting utter gick..but what’s the bets Saunders uses it as a way out

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/827142/tyson-fury-billy-joe-saunders-canelo-alvarez/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

How do people think Frampton gets on with Herring? I think the size difference will probably be too much for Frampton, he’s not the same fighter he used to be. I don’t think Herring is anything special but he’s decent and with the size difference I think that’s enough to beat Carl. Hope I’m wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Johner wrote: »
    How do people think Frampton gets on with Herring? I think the size difference will probably be too much for Frampton, he’s not the same fighter he used to be. I don’t think Herring is anything special but he’s decent and with the size difference I think that’s enough to beat Carl. Hope I’m wrong though.

I think Carl's limitations were exposed when he started to fight the better fighters.
    If you haven't buckled by the end of the sixth, then you've taken the best of what Carl has.

Santa Cruz done his homework right for their second fight as he upped his game to get more points in the first half of the fight probably knowing he'd take the most of the second half.

I even think Quigg would have ended up beating him if the fight was another few rounds more.

Johner wrote: »

Frampton is past his best.

But the chap has great ring IQ. He will know what to do, how to adapt and react and mix it up

The issue is whether or not his physical being can do what his mental being wants..

He will be a step slower in all physical aspects

Herring is not that good..he is probably a slight favorite herethough

Paddy Power has Carl a slight favorite.

• Advertisement

I was looking forward to the Joe Smith LHW title fight later...

Postponed now due to his opponent contracting Covid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Frampton has some record for pulling out of fights of late. Those hands are getting brittle too. Didn't he break one of them in his last fight against the McCreary guy too?

https://twitter.com/snboxing/status/1361774845902610435?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭weemcd

Morrison J wrote: »
    Frampton has some record for pulling out of fights of late. Those hands are getting brittle too. Didn't he break one of them in his last fight against the McCreary guy too?

The more I think about it, the more Frampton should just leave it.

I feel for him I really do, between the McGuigan saga, frequent hand injuries and then Covid he lost the years when he was either in or just past his prime.

There's a YouTube series following him atm, they've done two parts and it was really excellent. He was definitely up for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

weemcd wrote: »
    The more I think about it, the more Frampton should just leave it.

I feel for him I really do, between the McGuigan saga, frequent hand injuries and then Covid he lost the years when he was either in or just past his prime.

There's a YouTube series following him atm, they've done two parts and it was really excellent. He was definitely up for this one.

Can you link the YouTube series?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭weemcd

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Can you link the YouTube series?

Of course:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭fitzparker

The rumour is Warren can't afford it and he was hoping Top Rank would fit the bill

https://www.boxingscene.com/herring-staying-calm-trainer-mcintyre-sounds-off-on-frampton-fight-postponement--155505

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Diddley Squat

Morrison J wrote: »

Maybe Im just sceptical but I doubt theres anything wrong with Frampton, it looks like they were shifting it to Dubai behind the scenes

New Dubai venue reported within hours of the hand twinge ?

I think we are going to see a lot of the bigger fights taking place over there in the future. Interesting movements happening in the boxing world.

Maybe Im just sceptical but I doubt theres anything wrong with Frampton, it looks like they were shifting it to Dubai behind the scenes

New Dubai venue reported within hours of the hand twinge ?

I think we are going to see a lot of the bigger fights taking place over there in the future. Interesting movements happening in the boxing world.

Yeah definitely looks that way. Think they were struggling to get US TV money for it so I'm presuming taking it to Dubai recuperates some of that lost cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Tonight's fight is another card that nots on Dazn Ireland. Ridiculous .. Im cancelling.

• Advertisement

BruteStock wrote: »
    Tonight's fight is another card that nots on Dazn Ireland. Ridiculous .. Im cancelling.

Won't be any Matchroom UK cards on DAZN until Matchroom's exclusive contract with Sky is up. Still, getting Canelo next weekend and Estrada-Gonzalez a couple of weeks after is well worth the €2 imo

Advertisement