Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beauty Issues during Covid 19 - Megathread - Hair, nails, brows etc

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I managed to get a really last minute hair cut 2 days before lockdown! I knew my hair couldn't deal with 6 more weeks as I hadn't cut it since July! I have quite thick curly hair, so it was starting to weigh me down again.

I didn't manage to get my brows or lashes tinted since the last lockdown, I kept putting it on the long finger and now I wish I hadn't! I do have a lash tint I can do myself but I always make a mess of it so not sure if I will! I badly need my brows sorted out though, they are so out of shape! Roll on December, although It will probably be January before I get an appointment at this rate! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I managed to get a really last minute hair cut 2 days before lockdown! I knew my hair couldn't deal with 6 more weeks as I hadn't cut it since July! I have quite thick curly hair, so it was starting to weigh me down again.

I didn't manage to get my brows or lashes tinted since the last lockdown, I kept putting it on the long finger and now I wish I hadn't! I do have a lash tint I can do myself but I always make a mess of it so not sure if I will! I badly need my brows sorted out though, they are so out of shape! Roll on December, although It will probably be January before I get an appointment at this rate! lol

Some salons were posting brow maintenance tips last time round. Perhaps more will?

If you tint your brows just make sure to have a couple of damp cotton buds to clean around the brow. Best guidance for maintenance is to use some thread or thin stick and use your nose and corner of your eye to measure and make sure you dont pluck past the lines. Dont take any hair thats close to your brow, but the straggly hairs away from your brow are probably for the taking

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

jrosen wrote: »
    Some salons were posting brow maintenance tips last time round. Perhaps more will?

If you tint your brows just make sure to have a couple of damp cotton buds to clean around the brow. Best guidance for maintenance is to use some thread or thin stick and use your nose and corner of your eye to measure and make sure you dont pluck past the lines. Dont take any hair thats close to your brow, but the straggly hairs away from your brow are probably for the taking

I won't be tinting my own brows, I can barely do the temporary one when I am doing my make up, so I would not dare try it with a tint! I can just about pluck! My friend is a beautician and amazing at brows so she is my go to person!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I use this, really easy to use but doesn't last too long, probably worth considering as something to help tint your brows without doing a full DIY dye at home

https://www.boots.ie/maybelline-brow-tattoo-longlasting-tint-10233903

GingerLily wrote: »
    I use this, really easy to use but doesn't last too long, probably worth considering as something to help tint your brows without doing a full DIY dye at home

https://www.boots.ie/maybelline-brow-tattoo-longlasting-tint-10233903

I got a 3 in one brow pencil in Penneys a while back which is very good. There's a mini brush with a liquid bit which stays on for ages but I have to do it lightly or I look a bit ridiculous! The brush is so tiny its really good for getting the tiny hairs. Then there's also a pencil, but I don't find that great and there's a powder bit with a sponge tip which is good for filling in. I mean to get another before the closed. I have extremely fair brows, and lashes. They are invisible at times! I hate the time it takes to do them so prefer getting them done for the time it saves in morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

If anyone is interested, I have a referral code to try FFS razor for only €6 (it's usually €25), that's for the razor and 4 blades ... It's actually an amazingly good razor, super close shave and I don't think I've ever gotten a cut with it. Blades last ages too. (I've always found women's razors useless, so I would have been using mens Gilette Fusion before this, and FFS is soooo much better and cheaper.) PM me if you want to try.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

There’s a lockdown going into effect here on Thursday, and I had a hair appointment booked for Friday. Thankfully, my hairdresser is a legend and contacted me to see if I wanted to bring the appointment ahead to Tuesday so I’m getting in ahead of the lockdown.
    If anyone is interested, I have a referral code to try FFS razor for only €6 (it's usually €25), that's for the razor and 4 blades ... It's actually an amazingly good razor, super close shave and I don't think I've ever gotten a cut with it. Blades last ages too. (I've always found women's razors useless, so I would have been using mens Gilette Fusion before this, and FFS is soooo much better and cheaper.) PM me if you want to try.

I signed up for them a while ago and I’m very underwhelmed. I find them no better than the Wilkinson Sword razor I was using. The rose gold razor handle started peeling really quickly and the blade cover went mouldy within a couple of weeks! I think I’ll revert to the Wilkinson Sword one and buy the blades off Amazon.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Did a great job of picking off my Shellac :pac: My poor nails!

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭sassyj

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I won't be tinting my own brows, I can barely do the temporary one when I am doing my make up, so I would not dare try it with a tint! I can just about pluck! My friend is a beautician and amazing at brows so she is my go to person!

It's really easy! I got dye from Terrisales. I put some vaseline around the eyebrow and then brushed in the dye. I haven't had any issues with staining and it does a great job. It's great to tide you over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Faith wrote: »
    I signed up for them a while ago and I’m very underwhelmed. I find them no better than the Wilkinson Sword razor I was using. The rose gold razor handle started peeling really quickly and the blade cover went mouldy within a couple of weeks! I think I’ll revert to the Wilkinson Sword one and buy the blades off Amazon.

God that's disappointing!! I'm pretty sure my blade cover went straight in the bin, I didn't need it. The handle of mine is fine so far but in fairness I've only had it a couple of months. Will give Wilkinson Sword a go if the FFS doesn't work out, I'm finding it great so far though!!

• Advertisement

sassyj wrote: »
    It's really easy! I got dye from Terrisales. I put some vaseline around the eyebrow and then brushed in the dye. I haven't had any issues with staining and it does a great job. It's great to tide you over.

I'm afraid to do my own as I've seriously fair eyebrows, they are literally almost invisible. I wouldn't even know what shade to use so that they don't stand out too crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I'm booked in to get my hair done on the 3rd of December. Fingers crossed they'll be open.
    I have dyed ginger hair and as I'm pale and freckly most people assume its real.I find that it can be a bit bright for the first week or two after getting it done but it settles lovely after that.It means I'll be feeling myself by Christmas.

It needs a chop too! It's nearly to my hips and its getting too heavy to curl.I measured (my lockdown life is indeed that boring) and its 24 inches root to tip.Only 3 weeks till I'll be fresh and happy.

I'm a dyed redhead as well, there really is such a sweet spot in the lifetime of a colour! Thankfully my roots are strawberry blonde so I'm not looking too bad at the moment.

You're gonna be a new woman after the chop!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Hair appointment booked for next week, happy days.
    I've just ignored the colour, or should I say the roots this time around.

Can't wait though!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,036 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Glad salons are re-opening on Tuesday as I had appointments booked. My gel polish is on since the Tuesday before lockdown so will be six weeks on Tuesday. Had taken the length back down so they've survived chip free! Salon switched to Gel in a Bottle in the summer and I'm so impressed, no way actual Shellac would have lasted this long.

I've booked in for eyebrows and a manicure with Vinylux mid December. Can't wait!

I need to make an appointment asap!! my brows are a joke now! lol I tried tinting my lashes last week and the kit was useless. It didn't take at all and I tried it twice!

Some things are best left to the professionals :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I booked my first haircut in a year for 10 days time

I've very short hair so I just shaved it during the big lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

My eyebrows are an absolute mess too!! Need to book in. Hair is but needs done by Christmas so may book too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

I was due to get my colour and cut done last Wednesday, with a toner on 19th December. I have tried rescheduling my appointment from last week on their website but there is no availability for anything in December. Everything is booked up. I am going to ring them to see if there is anyway my appointment in Dec can be modified to include at least a root touch up. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I have so many appointments booked this month between getting my nails, hair and eyebrows done, I booked in for micro needling and fillers too and have 2 meals out booked so far. I will have no money left to buy Christmas presents.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,817 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I have so many appointments booked this month between getting my nails, hair and eyebrows done, I booked in for micro needling and fillers too and have 2 meals out booked so far. I will have no money left to buy Christmas presents.

Sounds like a great Christmas to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I wasn’t due to get my highlights done for another few weeks but I rescheduled for this morning. I feel about a stone lighter! I took a small wander into town after and there’s such a lovely atmosphere around. It’s like everyone has woken from hibernation together! Everyone is in such a good mood. It’s actually lovely. I think in years gone by some Christmas fatigue would have already set in for me by now but because we were so restricted everyone is just happy to be out and about and there’s such a nice vibe around

• Registered Users Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I've gotten pains in my ears all day today and feel a bit meh.I get tonsillitis this time of year but I tend to be able to shift it without an antibiotic.
    I'm now stressing out to bits because I'm getting my hair done on Thursday and if I miss this appointment I'll have feck all chance of getting it done before Christmas.

Praying to the hair gods that it doesn't develop into anything that'd give me a temperature.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

cee_jay wrote: »
    I was due to get my colour and cut done last Wednesday, with a toner on 19th December. I have tried rescheduling my appointment from last week on their website but there is no availability for anything in December. Everything is booked up. I am going to ring them to see if there is anyway my appointment in Dec can be modified to include at least a root touch up. Fingers crossed!

Spoke with my salon, and they have absolutely no availability this side of Christmas. They called me back half an hour after I rang, and have added a root masking to my appointment on 19th at least.
    I have managed to get a cut and blowdry scheduled for Christmas Eve in Limerick, where I will be spending Christmas with my parents. I am always nervous of new hairdressers, but I am going to the salon my friend swears by (different hairdresser though).
    I have also booked in for shellac before my hair appointment - hoping I manage to get it removed before the next lockdown hits :o

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I have my hair appointment for Saturday and I can’t wait but I’m hoping they don’t up their prices again

cee_jay wrote: »
    I have also booked in for shellac before my hair appointment - hoping I manage to get it removed before the next lockdown hits :o

I got stuck with Shellac last time so going for the Vinlyux this time, I had all the bits and pieces to remove Shellac properly at home but of course I picked it off :pac: Maybe pick up the acetone & file while you can, if you don't have them already just in case you're stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,036 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

My salon uses gel in a bottle which is much stronger than shellac. Bar the growth my polish was perfect from the Tuesday before lockdown until my appointment this Tuesday. I asked for 6 week nails and that's what I got. Have an appointment before the next announcement just in case (obviously I have one Christmas week too)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,817 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I rang my beloved hairdressers there, they are going to fit me in next thursday, taking a day off work but totally worth it!

God its insane the effect it has isnt it, i feel like ive just got such a lift there from making the appointment alone!

Advertisement