Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beauty Issues during Covid 19 - Megathread - Hair, nails, brows etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Anyone know is New Look in Jervis not reopening? Strange to see it closed when most other shops there are back up and running.

The main Cork store in Opera lane isn’t open either, yet much smaller less popular branches in shopping centres have been open for over a month.
    A neighbours daughter works for New Look so I asked her and she said that they are all reopening, but the UK head office is doing it all in phased stages for some reasons.
    I believe they expect all stores to be open by September. I have no idea why they’re dragging the arse out of it and neither did my neighbours daughter, only that the decision came from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Bad idea for me to browse Look fantastic, I may have added some Redken and L’Oréal bits to my basket :D

I’m trying to keep my red as red as possible :)

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

Autosport wrote: »
    Bad idea for me to browse Look fantastic, I may have added some Redken and L’Oréal bits to my basket :D

I’m trying to keep my red as red as possible :)

Look into the Alfaparf pigments too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

FYI TK Maxx are doing large bottles of Redken for 27 - I'm not sure of the type but I think one was colour extend in a red bottle - looks like super value for Redken

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Today was the day, I am reborn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Rfrip wrote: »
    Today was the day, I am reborn.

Delighted for you sis! Are you as blonde as the last time?

Delighted for you sis! Are you as blonde as the last time?

I am!!!! There’s nothing like feeling all those foils so close to the scalp is there!!!!

Wearing the mask was such a pain..their prices have gone up and I missed my coffee and choc but god it was so great to be back. We had so much to catch up on and really was a few hours of therapy so money well spent! Plus I’m back to being a blonde goddess!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I am!!!! There’s nothing like feeling all those foils so close to the scalp is there!!!!

Wearing the mask was such a pain..their prices have gone up and I missed my coffee and choc but god it was so great to be back. We had so much to catch up on and really was a few hours of therapy so money well spent! Plus I’m back to being a blonde goddess!

Stun!! There’s no better feeling <3

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,542 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Come join your blonde sisters, Rfrip! Great day for the parish. :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I’m joining the reblonding sisterhood tomorrow, SO EXCITED

• Advertisement

I’m joining the reblonding sisterhood tomorrow, SO EXCITED

It’s a joyous day!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

After a rather long stint of unemployment and all the general covid stuff, I'm finally getting my hair cut on Saturday! I am stupidly excited! My pal is also getting her hair done so we're heading for dinner after just to go somewhere :pac: Can't waste a good blow dry these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Twee. wrote: »
    After a rather long stint of unemployment and all the general covid stuff, I'm finally getting my hair cut on Saturday! I am stupidly excited! My pal is also getting her hair done so we're heading for dinner after just to go somewhere :pac: Can't waste a good blow dry these days!

Enjoy the day and spoil yourself!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I didn't see this thread before now! I must admit, I am lucky that I don't colour my hair (yet), so I didn't need to get it done over lockdown. I had just had it cut about 3 weeks before they closed. I have naturally curly hair, so its easy to maintain. I was glad to get it cut mid July though and I got a good bit chopped off as it was getting heavy and the layers were too long.

I probably won't need to get it cut again until next month.

I also don't get my nails done, so had no need to worry about those either! I'm not into getting much done, apart from my brows and tinting my lashes. I bought a lash tint kit and never ended up using it. I keep forgetting and I never have the energy by the end of the day to bother with it!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

neonsofa wrote: »
    Enjoy the day and spoil yourself!!!

Thaaaanks! I bloody well will :pac:
    Ciarrai76 wrote: »

I also don't get my nails done, so had no need to worry about those either! I'm not into getting much done, apart from my brows and tinting my lashes. I bought a lash tint kit and never ended up using it. I keep forgetting and I never have the energy by the end of the day to bother with it!

Brows are next on my list, tinted at home over lockdown but the shaping really needs help now at this stage.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I have The Fear about another lockdown, but have my next hair appointment booked for next Friday so should be all good for that. Hard to believe it’s been nearly 8 weeks since I last got it done. Going 20 weeks without a root touch-up has really changed my perception of “bad” roots!!

I’m the same....I’ve appointment in two wks and I’m actually going to change it

Have made the big decision to go back ballyage.

I just went through too much root wise....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I'm booked in tomorrow for my hair for the same reason...lockdown fear.
    I get to go into my office on Monday (on my own,to check post) and it'll be my first time back in town since March. Going to get my brows and lashes done.

I have a voucher for a spa and I'd love a facial but I think I'll leave it a little bit longer.

I’m the same....I’ve appointment in two wks and I’m actually going to change it

Have made the big decision to go back ballyage.

I just went through too much root wise....

Sis, its a great club to be in.... welcome <3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I got my eyebrows shaped and tinted and my lashes tinted yesterday in Benefit on South William Street.
    I am so happy with the result. I know they're a little pricey but the waxing was totally painless. I'm 29 and the only other time I had my eyebrows done was getting them threaded when I was 21.
    I have so much more shape to them and the dye worked really well because I had blonde hairs I'd never noticed.
    I looked like a surprised owl before filling them in and now I feel my face looks more put together!

Fresh hair and fresh eyebrows.I'm ready for another lockdown...which hopefully won't come.

• Advertisement

I got my eyebrows shaped and tinted and my lashes tinted yesterday in Benefit on South William Street.
    I am so happy with the result. I know they're a little pricey but the waxing was totally painless. I'm 29 and the only other time I had my eyebrows done was getting them threaded when I was 21.
    I have so much more shape to them and the dye worked really well because I had blonde hairs I'd never noticed.
    I looked like a surprised owl before filling them in and now I feel my face looks more put together!

Fresh hair and fresh eyebrows.I'm ready for another lockdown...which hopefully won't come.

I was the exact same on Friday with my brows!

Although id been going to mahon point benefit for the last id say 6 years, never an issue and the girls were always lovely there! But they are gone now as debanhams is out of there. So i went to a lovely little beauticians in Douglas, and it cost me 18e instead of 37.50 i paid in Benefit!!!!
    And i was delighted with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 psawyer

Hi all,
    This has been annoying me for a while and I thought I would run it by you here to see what you think. I get my hair coloured quite regularly as I’m dark but have grey roots. ( I’ll fight it to the bitter end) Anyway, I go to a local hairdresser in a small town outside Dublin where I live and it’s the only decent one locally. The girl has been doing my hair for years, she’s not the owner, but she’s great. The last 2 times I’ve gone, I’ve asked for her but the young trainee has done my colour and my hairdresser did my blow dry. It cost 80e for an all over colour and blow dry. No cut. I was a bit shocked but of course said nothing! The young girl doing the colour never and I mean never stops talking. I know her life story and she causally dropped the c word into her conversation a few times. They also have a terrible habit of leaving the colour all over my forehead . Even writing this and reading back sounds ridiculous!! I think I’m going to change hairdressers! Just wondering if that would be the standard price for a colour and cut? No highlights or balayage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

psawyer wrote: »
    Hi all,
    This has been annoying me for a while and I thought I would run it by you here to see what you think. I get my hair coloured quite regularly as I’m dark but have grey roots. ( I’ll fight it to the bitter end) Anyway, I go to a local hairdresser in a small town outside Dublin where I live and it’s the only decent one locally. The girl has been doing my hair for years, she’s not the owner, but she’s great. The last 2 times I’ve gone, I’ve asked for her but the young trainee has done my colour and my hairdresser did my blow dry. It cost 80e for an all over colour and blow dry. No cut. I was a bit shocked but of course said nothing! The young girl doing the colour never and I mean never stops talking. I know her life story and she causally dropped the c word into her conversation a few times. They also have a terrible habit of leaving the colour all over my forehead . Even writing this and reading back sounds ridiculous!! I think I’m going to change hairdressers! Just wondering if that would be the standard price for a colour and cut? No highlights or balayage.

Would you not just ring ahead and talk to the girl you want and explain you want her to do it all? I mean in her position, I'd rather a customer did that than go somewhere else, at least you'd be giving her a chance to rectify the situation.

It's not a big ask. I'm very picky about where I go for hair, nails, beauty treatments, etc. I request the person I want by name when booking my appointments and I wouldn't be a bit happy if that wasn't respected. By the way, I'm very loyal to the particular professionals I go to for my various bits, and it's not just about the quality of the treatment - I don't like chatty people, I'm more comfortable with people who are nice and polite but get on with the job without small talk. So it's not unreasonable of you to want to avoid that trainee.

Not sure about prices, I go to a hairdresser down the country where I'm from. I think it costs about 70 for cut and colour, or about 110 if I get highlights as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Hi all,

Have they increased their prices post covid?Think mine is usually 69 for naas area.

If you want someone in particular doing your hair then make it clear on the phone that you dont want your app moved to anyone else. If it happens again then personally id change salons

• Registered Users Posts: 10,057 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I had a similar issue with a major Dublin salon I no longer attend. Would book and be charged for a certain staff member (who was more expensive than most of the others - they had three tiers of staff and priced accordingly) but someone else would do my colour. One day after we talked colour, they said "X is going to do your colour now and I'll be back to you to do the cut, is that ok" and I actually had the guts to say that it wasn't ok. If I was paying for a certain person I wanted that person. Appointment took 4 hours in the end but I got what I paid for from then on!

Thats weird, I have a particular girl I go to and one time I had booked in with her and she asked would it be okay for someone else to do the colour, that she'd do the consultation and choose the colours but the application would be done by this other girl. I said yeah no worries. Then the next day, day before my app, receptionist rang me to make sure that I was aware that the colour was not being done by my usual girl. Id imagine they know that some people would be picky, so i would just say it to them when booking, can you make sure that it will be [girls name] doing the colour and that she is available for that entire slot time as the last couple times it has been someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 psawyer

Thanks all. I’ll just have to woman up and grow a pair!!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

My hairdresser is making sure that you only get your colour/cut done by the one person now - it is a Covid precaution, cuts down on the contact tracing, and to be honest I much prefer it. I presumed every hairdresser was doing this and thought it was a great change enforced by Covid :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

cee_jay wrote: »
    My hairdresser is making sure that you only get your colour/cut done by the one person now - it is a Covid precaution, cuts down on the contact tracing, and to be honest I much prefer it. I presumed every hairdresser was doing this and thought it was a great change enforced by Covid :D

Good point and actually thats what should be happening in all salons, both hair and beauty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Thanks all. I’ll just have to woman up and grow a pair!!!
    I would definitely say something and if you're not happy with the outcome, vote with your feet.
    cee_jay wrote: »

I've noticed that with mine too. There is a trainee, who is excellent, and often did the colour in the past. But now my own hairdresser does the lot.

Advertisement