Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beauty Issues during Covid 19 - Megathread - Hair, nails, brows etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Is anyones skin suffering a bit from the masks?

I have dry skin normally but I find I'm getting more patches around my mouth where the mask would be covering.I'm guessing its from the trapped moisture. I'm keeping up my usual routine and limiting places I'd have to go to wear a mask but its still a bit crap.

Not yet but its an interesting point.

What types of masks are you wearing? I've only been wearing the cotton, reusable ones and as you say, limiting the places that I go that I'd need to wear one, like the shops maybe once or twice a week. I haven't taken public transport since Christmas.

I did get a pretty horrible spot on my chin the other day and then another slightly less awful one in my eyebrow. I have recently started taking a skin supplement and had put it down to that, but I suppose the mask is another potential cause, especially the horrible spot on my chin (you know those really hard, deep spots) as the one on by brow wasn't as bad.

I was thinking i could smell detergent when I put my mask on the other day - I'd spot treated it with a vanish stain removed before putting it in the machine as I'd gotten some make up on it - and it occurred to me that maybe i should try and get some extra gentle detergent for masks if they're going to be right against my face.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fiolina

My daughter (19) has always had good, clear skin but since the lockdown and wearing of masks she's had breakouts around her mouth/chin.
    The masks are homemade from cotton and are only worn going into supermarket and busy places so not for long periods of time.
    I just wash them on a 60 degree wash with normal detergent which could be the root the problem as mentioned.
    I'll try hand washing them in a mild detergent in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I've been wearing washable cotton masks when I can and I've some of the blue single use ones in my car incase I've to pop into somewhere unexpectedly.

I've some dry patches on my cheeks but they're doing better with richer products .

I've exams coming up so I'm getting cold sores from stress.I use the cold sore patches which are good for the cold sore but isn't helping my because I'm getting fierce dry patches after each one subsides. Hopefully they'll die down once the exams are over in a month then I can use some nice face masks to help.I've only been cold sore free for 2 days in the last 3 weeks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I've been wearing washable cotton masks when I can and I've some of the blue single use ones in my car incase I've to pop into somewhere unexpectedly.

I've some dry patches on my cheeks but they're doing better with richer products .

I've exams coming up so I'm getting cold sores from stress.I use the cold sore patches which are good for the cold sore but isn't helping my because I'm getting fierce dry patches after each one subsides. Hopefully they'll die down once the exams are over in a month then I can use some nice face masks to help.I've only been cold sore free for 2 days in the last 3 weeks.

I switched to Bio-Propolis from aciclovir based creams, more expensive but way better result in my experience. Like the other creams it's most effective when you use at "tingle" stage, but I find my coldsores go away quicker and are barely noticeable. Also selenium or lysine tablets are good for prevention, might be worth looking in to for exam time!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Twee. wrote: »
    I switched to Bio-Propolis from aciclovir based creams, more expensive but way better result in my experience. Like the other creams it's most effective when you use at "tingle" stage, but I find my cold sores go away quicker and are barely noticeable. Also selenium or lysine tablets are good for prevention, might be worth looking in to for exam time!

Thanks.I've been dosing with lysine but I'll have to try bio-propolis next time!I have a prescription for Famvir tablets which are generally used for shingles but can be effective on cold sores, they're expensive though about 120 for a pack of 24 and haven't really helped me too much.

I suppose its not really a beauty issue but it is my biggest appearance issue.I can dress to cover lumps and bumps and I can conceal spots and dry patches but cold sores are my achilles heel.

• Advertisement

Thanks.I've been dosing with lysine but I'll have to try bio-propolis next time!I have a prescription for Famvir tablets which are generally used for shingles but can be effective on cold sores, they're expensive though about 120 for a pack of 24 and haven't really helped me too much.

I suppose its not really a beauty issue but it is my biggest appearance issue.I can dress to cover lumps and bumps and I can conceal spots and dry patches but cold sores are my achilles heel.

Same, so hard to cover if you don't get a cream on them in time, can look even worse :( I've one coming up now, hopefully won't get too bad. It actually puts me in bad humour!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lucalux

I've my first one in ages, it came up yesterday, I use L-Lysine at the first hint of a tingle, but had run out (false sense of security since it had been a while since my last one).

What helps me besides the Lysine and propolis cream is lashing on hand sanitiser/alcohol gel, or tea tree aloe vera gel. I will reapply as many times as possible during the initial stage, the aloe vera and the propolis cream I use stops the skin from freaking out too much with them.

This usually cuts down the time from 7/8 days to about 2/3

All stocked up again on l-lysine since today. One saving grace was, wearing a mask, as I had already been doing, makes me a lot less self-conscious!

Yeah tea tree is great stuff! I must check if I have any. As much as I find Lysine works for me but I can't take it for long as it really doesn't sit well with my tummy :o Solve one problem get another one :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lucalux

Twee. wrote: »
    Yeah tea tree is great stuff! I must check if I have any. As much as I find Lysine works for me but I can't take it for long as it really doesn't sit well with my tummy :o Solve one problem get another one :pac:

Tea tree neat can be great if its only starting, I use a dab of cheap Tea Tree (I get it from Euro2 shops) on a cotton bud. Obviously not good to be ingesting it, so caution advised with that one!

The tea tree aloe vera gel I get in holland and barrett, great as aftersun or for scrapes or shaving cuts etc and for spots in general, so usually get a few of them on the buy one get one free in H&B

As for the lysine, fully agree, I have to take it with food, and even then I'm accepting some discomfort with it, but they're aggressively buggers and I'll fight fire with fire, even if I get scorched in the process:)

Have to say I am amazed it's been so long for me without any. I don't remember any time in the past ten years where I had a month free of them. I get them on my nose, chin, eye area (:o) as well as lips, so it's actually fantastic that I'm only whingeing about this one solitary one.

Hope we all get back to clear skin soon:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

IT’S HAPPENING. The foils are in my hair!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Faith wrote: »

I’ve two wks to go.....till I feel those bad boys in my roots!!

You must feel like a new woman!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,542 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

We had foils in at the same time, Faith! FOIL TWINS. :pac:

Great day. :D

How I look/feel right now:

z6FfhSD.jpg?1

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Posy wrote: »

z6FfhSD.jpg?1

This made me laugh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I’m seeing a lot of people on social media go a bit more natural with their root in case there’s another lockdown, I’m the complete opposite and went brighter than the sun :D I’m sure ye are looking fabulous girls there’s no better feeling! Did anyone see that report earlier in the week about the two salon staff testing positive for Covid in Missouri. They had each interacted with over 150 clients but because they and all clients wore masks, they didn’t pass it on to a single customer! Just goes to show the power of them.

z6FfhSD.jpg?1

Exact same :D

I came home and had a moment of “Am I... too blonde?” Before realising I’d just forgotten what it looked like when my colour was fresh!

I usually get a lowlight to break up the roots, but today it was just “MAKE ME BLONDE”. I genuinely do feel like a new person, it’s just so rejuvenating!

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fiolina

I came home and had a moment of “Am I... too blonde?” Before realising I’d just forgotten what it looked like when my colour was fresh!

I usually get a lowlight to break up the roots, but today it was just “MAKE ME BLONDE”. I genuinely do feel like a new person, it’s just so rejuvenating!

Aw I'm delighted for all the happy heads.
    Made me smile seeing your posts.
    Enjoy :)

Too blonde doesn’t exist!!!

Rfrip wrote: »
    Too blonde doesn’t exist!!!

Amen!!!

This is my favourite Instagram account to follow.

https://instagram.com/blonderandblonder?igshid=12vhk6cd27hja

I literally drool over the results and am constantly forwarding pics to my hairdresser (she’s my friend) asking her to make me a ride like these wans

Amen!!!

I literally drool over the results and am constantly forwarding pics to my hairdresser (she’s my friend) asking her to make me a ride like these wans

Oh drool is right sis!!

Amen!!!

See, I get carried away by pictures like these! I completely neglect the fact that natural hair colour and lighting play a role :o

I saw this and it really summed up why I never get exactly the colour that I see in pictures:

520666.PNG

• Advertisement

I have definitely had my hair lifted that light before but it’s been a long (and expensive!) journey. My colour would be nearest to pic sixteen there and I’m naturally mousy brown, and I need to get a toner every six weeks in order to keep the icy tone. It’s hard to maintain the brightness and the only way I’ve found my way around that is by getting hair extensions. I was finding the colour was fading really fast at the tip of my hair so having extensions in is the only way of ensuring I keep an even and bright colour with no fade.
    Tis hard work I tell ye this pretending to be a natural blonde lark

What shampoos are all you new improved blondes using?

I'm thinking I might treat my hair to a nice new shampoo, since it was so long unloved and uncared for! :D

I use redken....always get the duo with 20 perfect off on look fantastic.

I'm thinking I might treat my hair to a nice new shampoo, since it was so long unloved and uncared for! :D

Definitely do!

I use Redken as standard. In normal times, I mix and match between the Blondage and the regular Colour Extend stuff. I use the Blondage conditioner too.

Then, about once a week, I use Joico Clarifying Shampoo to remove buildup from super hard water, and follow with Aveda Damage Remedy Intensive Restructuring Treatment .

I'm thinking about moving entirely over to Joico, though. Their K Pak line is fab!

+1 for Redken and aveda damage remedy. Joico mask is brilliant too as is Philip Kingsley the elasticiser. Pureology have lovely ranges too and are sulphate free. Olaplex shampoo is brilliant too

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

definitely try the moroccanoil purple shampoo to get rid of any brassiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

+1 for Redken colour extend blondage, it's amazing, I recently went back to blond and bought the Shampoo and Conditioner, forgot how much I loved them. The conditioner is the best conditioner i've ever used. Expensive but worth it.

Collected my new Redken shampoo this morning on the way to work. Got the Blondage shampoo, conditioner and 'one united' multi-benefit treatment on click and collect from Peter Mark for €35.50, which was not too bad. :)

Thanks for the recommendations, guys- long may our newly blonde heads continue! :pac:

Collected my new Redken shampoo this morning on the way to work. Got the Blondage shampoo, conditioner and 'one united' multi-benefit treatment on click and collect from Peter Mark for €35.50, which was not too bad. :)

Thanks for the recommendations, guys- long may our newly blonde heads continue! :pac:

Enjoy! If it works well for you, I highly recommend looking on Look Fantastic next time. I find their prices the best :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Anyone know is New Look in Jervis not reopening? Strange to see it closed when most other shops there are back up and running.

Advertisement