Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beauty Issues during Covid 19 - Megathread - Hair, nails, brows etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

cee_jay wrote: »
    My hairdresser is making sure that you only get your colour/cut done by the one person now - it is a Covid precaution, cuts down on the contact tracing, and to be honest I much prefer it. I presumed every hairdresser was doing this and thought it was a great change enforced by Covid :D

No so great if the original hairdresser does a bad job and you wanna change without making a fuss :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

neonsofa wrote: »
    No so great if the original hairdresser does a bad job and you wanna change without making a fuss :pac:

When I rang to make an appointment, I was asked if I was happy with my hair the last time, and if I wanted to go to the same, or switch to someone else.
    I have to say I have been really impressed with my hairdresser and everything since this all kicked off. I've my next appointment on Friday (2nd one since lockdown) so will see if they are still as good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Are we all ready for lockdown roots part deux :D

I got mine done two weeks ago. Wasn’t booked in again until Christmas week so hope they’ll be open again by then, if we do enter level 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭appledrop

I got mine done two weeks ago. Wasn’t booked in again until Christmas week so hope they’ll be open again by then, if we do enter level 5.

Yep, I'm booked in for tomorrow so that will see me through lockdown. So relieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I have returned to ballyage....I just can’t go through it again.

The actual thoughts of level 5 now again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I got mine done 3 weeks ago so it should hopefully see me through lockdown round two.
    I made emergency last minute appointments for brows and nails for tomorrow, I usually wear my acrylics very long so I’m hoping if I make the length super short I’ll get through lockdown with them intact, even if I have a lot of regrowth.
    I really don’t want to have to attempt to remove them myself and pay the full whack of €70 for a full fresh set after lockdown :pac:

Brows would usually be something I wouldn’t be pushed about but I absolutely destroyed mine in round 1 and they still aren’t fully recovered from my butchering, so I’m trying to avoid having that happen again :(

Roots and lites done last week, my nails are ok but probably need to be done in about 2 weeks, brows also not quite ready to be done, if we could delay lockdown for another 2 weeks it would be great lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,057 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Nail appointment for next Tuesday so keeping my fingers crossed. Realised this morning that I really need my hair done but also realised that because my hairdresser comes to me I can't now get it done. Not working at the moment so was leaving it as long as I could. Guess I've a box of dye left from last lockdown as it was a special offer on two boxes.

Thanks for the reminder!!!
    Completely forgot about hairdressers and level 5 implication until I saw this and now I'm having minor panic attack as roots are due and I was putting it off for a few weeks... Alarm set to call her first thing... Another tough break for her and so many if/when it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I can deal with a hairy November if it meant we could have a merry hair free Christmas :D ah god I know it’s considered selfish to say but the thoughts of looking like the back of a bus for Christmas is depressing. Even if there’s nowhere to go I just like to feel nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Nope! My roots need to be done and I don’t know when I’ll get the time to get them done as I’m up to my eyes in work. Happened earlier in the year too just as I was due to get my hair done.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

I got spooked earlier and booked the hair for tomorrow morning!

Wow, went to book pre Christmas nails and waxing on their app just now and the 16th is the closest I could get. Looks like other people are more on the ball than me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Just rescheduled my salon appointment to tomorrow instead of next Thursday, luckily when I went onto the site they had several available appointments left for tomorrow but I did it as soon as I heard mention of a lockdown. Within half an hour it dawned on me the time I picked doesnt suit so went back onto the page to reschedule again, all appointments were fully booked out, by the sounds of things everything will be booked out until Christmas.

I will make my appointment after all, delighted I was able to reschedule, ill get a haircut tomorrow too just incase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Ah balls, ALL of my appointments (hair, nails, eyebrows, eyelashes, etc) are booked for the week after next, and I'm too broke to try to bring them forward (payday isn't until next weekend. :o)

Don't care about most of them except the hair, it was overdue to be done anyways and the greys are really taking over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭PoisonIvyBelle

Got mine done a week early just over a week ago in case we went into level 4 at the time, next apt is 2nd week in Dec so I'm hoping they'll be open then too!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Gemma1982

I’m due to get long overdue hair colour next weekend. Tempted to take a day of annual leave and try and get in to the hairdressers tomorrow Or Tuesday instead. It’s hard to know though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

I got my hair done the day Level 3 was announced for Dublin. I was due to hairdresser this weekend for a toner through the ends. Have another appointment for 25th November for my greys to be covered just in time for my birthday. But there will no longer be a birthday meal or trip to a hotel now. I know when I was in the hairdresser last time they were already booking up for Christmas, so wouldn't be surprised if there was no availability when they reopened :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Actually had an app for today anyway and im thrilled.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Just saw the my salon is closing down, Preen on Dame St. So sad for them. Hopefully the team get employed elsewhere around the city when reopenings happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭Rfrip

cee_jay wrote: »
    I got my hair done the day Level 3 was announced for Dublin. I was due to hairdresser this weekend for a toner through the ends. Have another appointment for 25th November for my greys to be covered just in time for my birthday. But there will no longer be a birthday meal or trip to a hotel now. I know when I was in the hairdresser last time they were already booking up for Christmas, so wouldn't be surprised if there was no availability when they reopened :(

I was thinking that aswell, my next apt was 28th nov and that was my Xmas colour, so I assume il just have missed that now and won’t get in before Xmas? Like they can’t do what they did the last time and try and back fill everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Had an appointment for my hair this Saturday, went in on the way home from work yesterday and she put my colour in and I washed it out myself at home. Booked in for a cut when they reopen. Getting my eyebrows done tonight. Beauticians is staying open late tonight to sort her regulars out.

Had a nails appointment yesterday and booked in for 1st December so here's hoping I can cope with 6 weeks growth, no breaks, and no extension of level 5!

Hair is another story, my hairdresser comes to be so I'm screwed there but sure who's going to see me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

My next apt is Nov 2nd, all Xmas slots were gone already. I've resigned myself to not getting colour done in 2020. Going to use the time to treat my hair to weekly masks and restrict heat usage so at least it will be in amazing condition. Trying my best to be positive lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I only have very slight roots so I decided I'll hold strong through lockdown 2.0 and I'll hopefully get it done in December.I have loads of leave and can take it easily so I've never had problem getting a weekday appointment.I know I'll be kicking myself if lockdown is extended but I'm not going anywhere so its not like anyone will see the damage.

Managed to get a last minute hair appointment for cut and colour. It wasn't my usual place but I decided to chance it and also went for a complete change in colour, he actually did a really fab job so I'm gonna go to him any more!! It makes sense anyways, my usual one in grand but she's all the way in Sligo and I'm in Dublin, and obviously I'm not getting home to Sligo for weekends any more.

Got my Shellac taken off too yesterday, just as well as I'd have only picked it off otherwise. :o

Didn't get brows or lashes done, but sure who cares, not like I'll be seeing many people anyways!!

Really hope things are back to normal (ish) in December. I've already made whatever appointments I can.

You know what's annoying me, I'm getting laser hair removal done in Therapie, they were obviously closed for the last lockdown and again now. I feel like the results aren't as good as they would be if I were getting it done regularly every six weeks like you're supposed to. Maybe that's only in my head though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

You know what's annoying me, I'm getting laser hair removal done in Therapie, they were obviously closed for the last lockdown and again now. I feel like the results aren't as good as they would be if I were getting it done regularly every six weeks like you're supposed to. Maybe that's only in my head though!!

The 6 weeks is more like a minimum time. I got myself laser-ed a few years ago and regretted not leaving it longer than 6 weeks between each one to have maximum regrowth and have them all zapped. So I wonder worry about that.

The 6 week laser is a guide. You’ll get far better results if you allow longer between apps. You want to be able to see the majority of hairs that are left above the skin surface before an app.

It’s common for people to take breaks through summer too. I had mine done in 2013 and it must have been 2015 before I’d finished. Had an additional 3 on upper leg only. Have had one too up since and not a blade of hair. Best money spent

The 6 week laser is a guide. You’ll get far better results if you allow longer between apps. You want to be able to see the majority of hairs that are left above the skin surface before an app.

It’s common for people to take breaks through summer too. I had mine done in 2013 and it must have been 2015 before I’d finished. Had an additional 3 on upper leg only. Have had one too up since and not a blade of hair. Best money spent

• Advertisement

Ah that makes a lot of sense, thanks guys!!

Advertisement