Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Filthy atheists stealing our Christmas

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,225 ✭✭✭✭Penn

MrPudding wrote: »
    FYP to remove any possible confusion that you were referring to the mystical organ in a similar position to your blood pumping organ which can apparent see, feel and needs to be opened for us to live correctly.:eek:

That's not my only blood pumping organ

29110649.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

FYP to remove any possible confusion that you were referring to the mystical organ in a similar position to your blood pumping organ which can apparent see, feel and needs to be opened for us to live correctly.:eek:

I really don't think I'd be living for very long if my heart was opened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Calibos wrote: »
    I was just reading my recipe book there and there were some great tips to prevent a dry baby.

Apparently, one makes a small incision along the spine,
    inserts ones fingers,
    then using ones finger one carefully separates the skin from the flesh underneath.
    Next, get some butter and seasoning and spread it around between the flesh and skin.
    Then, pack the abdominal cavity with some crushed garlic cloves and several whole onions befpre covering in tin foil and placing in the oven.
    Btw, don't throw out the baby giblets, they make a lovely gravy!!

Post of the Year! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

The Indo had it's first 'true meaning of Christmas' letter of the year yesterday:
    http://www.independent.ie/opinion/letters/sign-of-the-times-3300417.html

Decadence for all!!!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

First Athiests are cancelling Christmas (in defference to Muslims obviously) story of the year has been debunked by the Times
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/1117/1224326703737.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭swampgas

This escalated rather dramatically: Atheists move halts Christmas tradition in Santa Monica
    Damon Vix didn't have to go to court to push Christmas out of the city of Santa Monica. He just joined the festivities. The atheist's anti-God message alongside a life-sized nativity display in a park overlooking the beach ignited a debate that burned brighter than any Christmas candle.

Santa Monica officials snuffed the city's holiday tradition this year rather than referee the religious rumble, prompting churches that have set up a 14-scene Christian diorama for decades to sue over freedom of speech violations. Their attorney will ask a federal judge Monday to resurrect the depiction of Jesus' birth, while the city aims to eject the case.

"It's a sad, sad commentary on the attitudes of the day that a nearly 60-year-old Christmas tradition is now having to hunt for a home, something like our savior had to hunt for a place to be born because the world was not interested," said Hunter Jameson, head of the nonprofit Santa Monica Nativity Scene Committee that is suing.

Missing from the courtroom drama will be Vix and his fellow atheists, who are not parties to the case. Their role outside court highlights a tactical shift as atheists evolve into a vocal minority eager to get their non-beliefs into the public square as never before.

National atheist groups earlier this year took out full-page newspaper ads and hundreds of TV spots in response to the Catholic bishops' activism around women's health care issues and are gearing up to battle for their own space alongside public Christmas displays in small towns across America this season.

"In recent years, the tactic of many in the atheist community has been, if you can't beat them, join them," said Charles Haynes, a senior scholar at the First Amendment Center and director of the Newseum's Religious Freedom Education Project in Washington. "If these church groups insist that these public spaces are going to be dominated by a Christian message, we'll just get in the game — and that changes everything."

In the past, atheists primarily fought to uphold the separation of church and state through the courts. The change underscores the conviction held by many nonbelievers that their views are gaining a foothold, especially among young adults.

The Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life released a study last month that found 20 percent of Americans say they have no religious affiliation, an increase from 15 percent in the last five years. Atheists took heart from the report, although Pew researchers stressed that the category also encompassed majorities of people who said they believed in God but had no ties with organized religion and people who consider themselves "spiritual" but not "religious."

"We're at the bottom of the totem pole socially, but we have muscle and we're flexing it," said Annie Laurie Gaylor, co-president of the Wisconsin-based Freedom from Religion Foundation. "Ignore our numbers at your peril."

The trouble in Santa Monica began three years ago, when Vix applied for and was granted a booth in Palisades Park alongside the story of Jesus Christ's birth, from Mary's visit from the Angel Gabriel to the traditional crèche.

Vix hung a simple sign that quoted Thomas Jefferson: "Religions are all alike -- founded on fables and mythologies." The other side read "Happy Solstice." He repeated the display the following year but then upped the stakes significantly.

In 2011, Vix recruited 10 others to inundate the city with applications for tongue-in-cheek displays such as an homage to the "Pastafarian religion," which would include an artistic representation of the great Flying Spaghetti Monster.

The secular coalition won 18 of 21 spaces. The two others went to the traditional Christmas displays and one to a Hanukkah display.
    The atheists used half their spaces, displaying signs such as one that showed pictures of Poseidon, Jesus, Santa Claus and the devil and said: "37 million Americans know myths when they see them. What myths do you see?"

Most of the signs were vandalized and in the ensuing uproar, the city effectively ended a tradition that began in 1953 and earned Santa Monica one of its nicknames, the City of the Christmas Story.
    The Santa Monica Nativity Scenes Committee argues in its lawsuit that atheists have the right to protest, but that freedom doesn't trump the Christians' right to free speech.

"If they want to hold an opposing viewpoint about the celebration of Christmas, they're free to do that — but they can't interfere with our right to engage in religious speech in a traditional public forum," said William Becker, attorney for the committee. "Our goal is to preserve the tradition in Santa Monica and to keep Christmas alive."

The city doesn't prohibit churches from caroling in the park, handing out literature or even staging a play about the birth of Jesus and churches can always set up a nativity on private land, Deputy City Attorney Jeanette Schachtner said in an email.

The decision to ban the displays also saves the city, which had administered the cumbersome lottery process used to award booths, both time and money while preserving the park's aesthetics, she said.
    For his part, Vix is surprised — and slightly amused — at the legal battle spawned by his solitary act but doesn't plan anything further.

"That was such a unique and blatant example of the violation of the First Amendment that I felt I had to act," said the 44-year-old set builder. "If I had another goal, it would be to remove the 'under God' phrase from the Pledge of Allegiance — but that's a little too big for me to take on for right now."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,487 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

^ Faux News, so chances are it's not true. (or was that the joke and I didn't get it?)

Scrap the cap!

^^ It's all a bit mad isn't it Ted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

You God Damn heathens are trying to bring free abortions on demand into Ireland before Christmas! Have you any respect for the rights of others?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Christmas is gay.. least so goes the rumour.

• Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

Calibos wrote: »
    I was just reading my recipe book there and there were some great tips to prevent a dry baby.

Apparently, one makes a small incision along the spine,
    inserts ones fingers,
    then using ones finger one carefully separates the skin from the flesh underneath.
    Next, get some butter and seasoning and spread it around between the flesh and skin.
    Then, pack the abdominal cavity with some crushed garlic cloves and several whole onions befpre covering in tin foil and placing in the oven.
    Btw, don't throw out the baby giblets, they make a lovely gravy!!
    your some dickhead,you think its funny ? strange mod says nothing

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

pontia wrote: »

Ah, you must cook your babies in the George Forman Grill. Dry, very dry indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭horsemaster

I am not an Atheist and I am not not a Christian. But I celebrate it for the simple reason that its a celebration. It makes me happy that there are people around me celebrating it and look happy. I love the Christmas lights and the festivities that go with it. I like the food which I am served when I am invited by my Christian friends to their home to partake in their meals. Seeing the joy and happiness my Christans friends' faces makes me feel great and I celebrate Christmas with them. No problem if you are not a Christian (or if you are an Atheist) I think. I am not. I am Hindu/Buddhist and I feel nothing wrong with celebrating with my fellow friends. Lets celebrate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭smokingman

pontia wrote: »
    "You're"
    Also, grow a pair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Ah, you must cook your babies in the George Forman Grill. Dry, very dry indeed.

....aye, ye need a good sauce if ye do them that way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Pontia is taking her Xmas hols early this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Nodin wrote: »
    ....aye, ye need a good sauce if ye do them that way.

Hang for 30 days then marinade the night before cooking. So tender and moist it makes baby Jesus cry

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Hmm, my nephew is approaching 2 years old now, would he be too tough at this stage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Sarky wrote: »
    Hmm, my nephew is approaching 2 years old now, would he be too tough at this stage?
    That depends, is he a modern two year old or an old fashioned one? Old fashioned would be out running around all the time, can be quite tough. Modern is sitting in front of the TV, not using the muscles too much... yummy.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Hang for 30 days then marinade the night before cooking. So tender and moist it makes baby Jesus cry

MrP

I reckon it's not worth hanging a baby over 18 months for more than a few days - becomes too gamey in flavour, unless the baby was fed exclusively on vegetable/fruit puree and milk products.

What marinade would you use? I favour a nice "cook-in" marinade - garlic, yoghurt and turmeric, mmmm:-)

• Advertisement

A good baby massage can help tenderize things wonderfully.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I am not an Atheist and I am not not a Christian. But I celebrate it for the simple reason that its a celebration. It makes me happy that there are people around me celebrating it and look happy. I love the Christmas lights and the festivities that go with it. I like the food which I am served when I am invited by my Christian friends to their home to partake in their meals. Seeing the joy and happiness my Christans friends' faces makes me feel great and I celebrate Christmas with them. No problem if you are not a Christian (or if you are an Atheist) I think. I am not. I am Hindu/Buddhist and I feel nothing wrong with celebrating with my fellow friends. Lets celebrate!

After reading some of the really, really unpleasant stuff on boards lately - this makes me all cheered up now. Thanks horsemaster :)

Happy diwali, Christmas, xmas, winterval etc to ya :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Moses is Moses, but business is business.;)

It astonished me to discover that Christmas is a big thing in Japan and Singapore, neither of which is particularly Christian. But Christmas has really caught on in those countries.:)

I was really surprised at how popular it was myself. While walking down Orchard Road I found myself giggling like a lunatic when I spotted this manger scene...apparently Jesus was a big baby! :p

5o2wK.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

The ultimate Christmas quiz
    http://www.skepticmoney.com/the-ultimate-christmas-quiz/

Let's see how ye all do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Filthy christians stealing our Yule/Saturnalia/Winter Solstice/Sol Invictus.

Yummy!

pH wrote: »

Let's see how ye all do!

6 and a half out of 13.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

the often funny wonkette spots that O’Reilly Launches Next Volley In War On Christmas by stating Christianity is Not a Religion http://174.132.114.130/~wonkette/490900/oreilly-launches-next-volley-in-war-on-christmas-christianity-not-religion

21908_373626359393721_856154147_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

pH wrote: »

Let's see how ye all do!

I got 11 out of 13.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Gotham

I celebrate Midwinter, thinking of trying Festivus this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Galvasean wrote: »
    21908_373626359393721_856154147_n.jpg

tumblr_m5tp4hGOBw1qbnggp.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I celebrate destroying the fùckin' turkey and then spend the rest of the day paralysed, wishing I didn't eat so much.

It's a tradition thing. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I celebrate destroying the fùckin' turkey and then spend the rest of the day paralysed, wishing I didn't eat so much.

It's a tradition thing. :pac:

I celebrate by insisting on calling the 26th of Dec 'Boxing Day' just to drive my Catholic Republican who does all her shopping in M&S and buys the Sunday Mail mother spare. It's a tradition thing.

As a family we gather on the 25th in my sister's house and play let's kill her potted plants by surreptitiously pouring the disgusting glasses of sweet sherry we all get to toast my grandmother's memory into them.

That is also a tradition thing - except for my big sis who drinks her's and wonders why all her plants die around New Year.

Your lack of concern for vegetable rights is, frankly, appalling.

Scrap the cap!

ninja900 wrote: »

Interestingly rubber plants seem partial to a yuletide glass of sweet sherry. I've been trying to kill the same one for 6 years now and it just keeps getting bigger...and I suspect it watches me...sometimes it rustles when I enter the room....
    It's starting to freak me out a bit to be honest

Brother has done for 3 orchids, 2 Christmas cacti and a yucca but then he is a capitalist, industrialist á la carte Catholic white heterosexual male (with a hint of ginger in his hair remaining hair) so that's hardly surprising...and he's the one who buys the hideous liquid. There must be better sherrys out there than that sugar syrup with a hint of balsamic vinegar concoction he presents us will every year...and now that I think about it we never see the bottle....:eek:

Lidl do a nice ruby port for 6.50 if you want to try something a bit different :) Not tested on animals plants...

Scrap the cap!

Lidl do a nice ruby port for 6.50 if you want to try something a bit different :) Not tested on animals plants...

oooohhhh...I can't do port...nevereverevergagain....see I was a toddler many years ago...a toddler who saw a film where a matador poured drink from a bottle with a bull's head spout thingy on it...I was a toddler who recalled that me Nan had just such a bulls head spout thing on a bottle of stuff...I was a toddler who thought that matador looked cool doing the pouring thing...I was a toddler who wondered if I could do the pouring thing with the bulls head spout thingy...it took a few weeks of practice but eventually I was a toddler who got real good at pouring the dark red liquid from the bulls head spout thingy...shortly after performing my secret trick every night I was a toddler who staggered around 'exhausted' and had to be put to bed...

...now I am middle aged and feel quite ill if I even I smell port...or glace cherries but that's different tale of toddler adventures...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I do love the corruption of christmas carols. The Lovecraftian ones are the best.

For the uninitiated, Y'golonac is a hideous hulking Great Old One with no head and Huge gaping needle-toothed maws on the palms of its hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

:D

Yeah that was exactly what I had in mind :pac:

'we plant the seed, nature grows the seed, then we eat the seed'

Think of the poor, still-alive apple (a potential tree) next time you bite into one. It's fruit abortion.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

To be fair we can't really be stealing it as they can't even figure out what year Christ was born in never mind the date. The bible is as usually fuzzy on facts and figures. Worse again people seem to get strange figures when adding up his age at death, I've had people tell me that he was born 1AD and died 33AD and was 33 :confused: when that clearly makes him 31 (and also makes all but the last 7 days of 1AD technically BC).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

ShooterSF wrote: »
    To be fair we can't really be stealing it as they can't even figure out what year Christ was born in never mind the date. The bible is as usually fuzzy on facts and figures. Worse again people seem to get strange figures when adding up his age at death, I've had people tell me that he was born 1AD and died 33AD and was 33 :confused: when that clearly makes him 31 (and also makes all but the last 7 days of 1AD technically BC).

If, indeed, he lived at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Yeah that was exactly what I had in mind :pac:

'we plant the seed, nature grows the seed, then we eat the seed'

Think of the poor, still-alive apple (a potential tree) next time you bite into one. It's fruit abortion.

At least someone was thinking of the poor unfortunate fruits.

l-ron-hubbard-i-wonder-if-they-were-sliced-on-a-clay-table-demotivational-poster-1253973011.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Sarky wrote: »
    I do love the corruption of christmas carols. The Lovecraftian ones are the best.

For the uninitiated, Y'golonac is a hideous hulking Great Old One with no head and Huge gaping needle-toothed maws on the palms of its hands.

I honestly had no idea that was a thing - even though I wrote a set of lyrics a couple of years ago to "Hark the Herald Old Ones Sing."

• Advertisement

I honestly had no idea that was a thing - even though I wrote a set of lyrics a couple of years ago to "Hark the Herald Old Ones Sing."

You haven't lived until you have heard a choir of Gay Leather Men sing 'Deck your Balls with Boughs of Holly.' :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

fitz0 wrote: »
    l-ron-hubbard-i-wonder-if-they-were-sliced-on-a-clay-table-demotivational-poster-1253973011.jpg
    Other fruits, dammit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Dades wrote: »
    Other fruits, dammit!

25846801.jpg
    25846801.jpg&w=400&h=400&ei=csfFUM_tA8-YhQfh7YGoDw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=1040&vpy=109&dur=375&hovh=225&hovw=225&tx=137&ty=116&sig=102125897666966851306&page=1&tbnh=135&tbnw=131&start=0&ndsp=61&ved=1t:429,r:7,s:0,i:102

Dades wrote: »
    Other fruits, dammit!

Back in the day when I had to study for my cheffing City and Guilds qualification the text book said tomatoes were classified as a 'fruiting vegetable'. But that book also contained the most awful recipes (remember Irish hotel food of the 40s/50s/60/70s/80s) so I wouldn't swear by it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Back in the day when I had to study for my cheffing City and Guilds qualification the text book said tomatoes were classified as a 'fruiting vegetable'. But that book also contained the most awful recipes (remember Irish hotel food of the 40s/50s/60/70s/80s) so I wouldn't swear by it.

Any plant that bears fruit is a fruiting vegetable. Apple trees are a fruiting vegetable, so are courgettes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement