Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Development Royal Canal Park D15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

minkey wrote: »
    Hi all

Just to let you know residents association meeting is at 8pm next tuesday if anyone would like to come along.
    It's on Thursday, 15th. Wish it was Tuesday, as this is the first I'll miss.

Location Is the community center, behind romayos on Spindrift Ave.

I've been at the last 3 of these and they are very valuable. Councilors and garda from the area are there to take your questions and hear your concerns. Turn up has been poor on all occasions, less than 30 people for the whole area, please go if you can, lest it disappear due to lack of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 stenomattia

Those who have moved in, any advice on the garden? Ballymore told us that they will re-seed it in May (with the better weather), however I'm concerned about the quality of the soil, it's very rocky and it's not draining during these wetter weeks. Just a big puddle this week. Has anyone done or treated their garden to get it in a good shape? Topsoil? Landscaping?
    Thanks for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭MasterSun

Hi all,

Just an FYI for those who has moved in. I received an email from Fitzgerald Kitchens this week. They are planning to change the splashback with a glass one as the current splashback has a quality issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Bruncvik

Those who have moved in, any advice on the garden? Ballymore told us that they will re-seed it in May (with the better weather), however I'm concerned about the quality of the soil, it's very rocky and it's not draining during these wetter weeks. Just a big puddle this week. Has anyone done or treated their garden to get it in a good shape? Topsoil? Landscaping?
    Thanks for the advice!
    I'm no gardener, so take this with a healthy dose of skepticism. The soil in our garden is basically clay. It doesn't drain in winter, and in summer, when it's dry, it develops deep cracks. I've done some small scale projects so far, and two seem to have worked:

* Sprinkling about half an inch of potting soil and planting new grass seed there resulted into long and healthy grass in a few months. I did this last year in March, when the weather was already a little better. Can't tell how deep the grass roots go, but my wishful thinking is that they will eventually penetrate and break down the clay. I plan on doing the same with the rest of the garden sometimes in April.

* Digging about two inches into the clay, breaking the clay into tiny pieces and mixing it with lots of potting soil seems to be producing even better results. However, the work's pretty back-breaking, and I reserved it to flower beds only.
    MasterSun wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just an FYI for those who has moved in. I received an email from Fitzgerald Kitchens this week. They are planning to change the splashback with a glass one as the current splashback has a quality issue.

Just a quick word about our experience and timeline: Received the call back in August. A guy came out in October to measure, and the glass was delivered and installed in January. We've also had some quality issues with the holes for the switches and power outlets - they didn't fit well in the old board, and there were gaps along their sides. This was fixed with the new board. However, as they were installing it, we were told that they weren't making as long splashboards as before, and we were left with a 2 inch space at the end of the counter. This space was really ugly - the wall was damaged from removing the old board, and had a different color than the rest of the kitchen. We were promised a wooden plank of the same color and texture as the cabinets to cover this, but when the installer came he found out that the plank was cut two inches too shots, and he thus couldn't install it. So I ended up fixing and repainting the wall, and I believe it looks better than their proposed solution. This was an Ash house; don't know whether other house types have such long splashboards and would have the same issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Danny87

Hi Guys ,

We Snagged the house today and was wondering if anyone has had the same concerns/issues or suggestions .Our snagger was in and out within an hour and didn't find much faults which is really good but also concerning in a way

Main concerns are

1,There are 4 nr scaffolding planks that appear to be fixed to the rafters in the attic .Cant understand why this is?

2,Paving to front of house doesn't seem to be level. Granted , its meant to be sloped for drainage but the angle on ours is quite significant

3,There is no access point for servicing the under stairs toilet

4,Ballymore are refusing to give a copy of the RECI cert

Any help would be appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Thanks for the advice!

The soil is boulder clay. It's pretty terrible. We got landscaping done and it resolved the drainage issue. The grass seed ballymore uses is pretty low grade. I wouldn't hold out for it tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Manion wrote: »
    The soil is boulder clay. It's pretty terrible. We got landscaping done and it resolved the drainage issue. The grass seed ballymore uses is pretty low grade. I wouldn't hold out for it tbh.

Would you PM me with information regarding landscaping done. I'm on bridge ave, have a small garden, been thinking about getting something done at some point. Would be great to have some idea of prides of different options.

Danny87 wrote: »
    Hi Guys ,

We Snagged the house today and was wondering if anyone has had the same concerns/issues or suggestions .Our snagger was in and out within an hour and didn't find much faults which is really good but also concerning in a way

Main concerns are

1,There are 4 nr scaffolding planks that appear to be fixed to the rafters in the attic .Cant understand why this is?

2,Paving to front of house doesn't seem to be level. Granted , its meant to be sloped for drainage but the angle on ours is quite significant

Any help would be appreciated

Hi Danny.

An hour means either you have the best house on the planet or the snagger didnt do much snagging.

Our snagger took a full day, half doing the snag, the other half walking us through the list so we understood the issues. He found a few hundred items

Most were minor things like dirty handprints on paint, corners taken off doorframes from toolboxes banging against them and other asthetic items. It was good to get a full comprehensive view from a good snaggers POV.

Maybe your snagger genuinely found very little, but it sounds suspect. If you want details of our snagger, please send me a PM and I'll forward them on.

Regarding some of the other items:
    best raise it with the site office and ask for (in writing or email) confirmation that its at its current angle for a reason.
    Same in all the houses, the minerva counter could be lifted if necessary. Its just a fact of how kitchen and bathrooms were installed, one of the things id change.
    Get reasons why they wont provide the cert. I am about to look for it from them so would be good to know why they withholding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 FSMPastafarian

Has anyone gotten a copy of the Site plan recently? I asked a few months ago and Ballymore refused, said they were no longer giving it out.

I was surprised as I thought this would be public information.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Danny87

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    Hi Danny.

An hour means either you have the best house on the planet or the snagger didnt do much snagging.

Our snagger took a full day, half doing the snag, the other half walking us through the list so we understood the issues. He found a few hundred items

Most were minor things like dirty handprints on paint, corners taken off doorframes from toolboxes banging against them and other asthetic items. It was good to get a full comprehensive view from a good snaggers POV.

Maybe your snagger genuinely found very little, but it sounds suspect. If you want details of our snagger, please send me a PM and I'll forward them on.

Regarding some of the other items:

best raise it with the site office and ask for (in writing or email) confirmation that its at its current angle for a reason.

Same in all the houses, the minerva counter could be lifted if necessary. Its just a fact of how kitchen and bathrooms were installed, one of the things id change.

Get reasons why they wont provide the cert. I am about to look for it from them so would be good to know why they withholding it.

Hi ,Thanks for the feedback. In fairness it seemed to be pre snagged well . I typed the report myself but still seemed kind of rushed when he was in there . I went back today and I think we picked up everything major.

Fyi Ballymore comments on RECI as follows : ''we do not release the RECI Certs to clients as this is one part of the Commissioning process which has been signed off and approved resulting in the Final BER & Advisory Reports being issued by the M & E Consultant''.

• Advertisement

Thank you, unfortunately as I suspected. Would you please PM me the details, contacts and price of the landscaping you've done? We'll shop around for options. Thank you!

Thank you, unfortunately as I suspected. Would you please PM me the details, contacts and price of the landscaping you've done? We'll shop around for options. Thank you!

If you hear anything let me know. I'm also interested in this info.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭minkey

Hi

Just reminder . The residents association meeting on on Tuesday at 8 in the Community Center, which is the one behind Romayos. Its a committe meeting but all are welcome as I have been a few times. I find there is is useful information about what is going on in the area . I think Fred Wimp mentioned there is also a community policing forum meeting which is different and that on tonight. Normally the meetings are the 3rd Monday of the month

• Registered Users Posts: 13 jjps

Likewise, i’d like to know more if possible, thinking of doing something about it pretty soon

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Forumsie

jjps wrote: »
    Likewise, i’d like to know more if possible, thinking of doing something about it pretty soon

Me too for information or pictures on the landscaping if you wouldn't mind please!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 FSMPastafarian

jjps wrote: »

I would have thought Ballymore would be responsible for the drainage?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 jjps

I would have thought Ballymore would be responsible for the drainage?

I believe they are but I am unsure whether we’ll manage to get anything decent out tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

Can anyone tell me everything that the management fees includes?

ITT-Pat wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me everything that the management fees includes?

24 hour security & management office staff who work mon to fri 9 - 4
    Gym access
    Bins (Black on Mondays, Green on Wednesdays)
    Landscaping (although I haven't seen much of this going on)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

cronos wrote: »
    24 hour security & management office staff who work mon to fri 9 - 4
    Gym access
    Bins (Black on Mondays, Green on Wednesdays)
    Landscaping (although I haven't seen much of this going on)

Thanks for that. Our solicitor mentioned something about access to a creche being included, but that sounded too good to be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

There is a Creche in RCP but you are right it's not included. Creches are much more expensive than management fees.

maciektok wrote: »
    We sanded the floor and then Varnished it with a varnish that's stained with white paint.

Maciektok - would you mind sharing or PMing pictures of your floors please? I'd love to see the white stain to see if it's transparent or more like paint. I've only see whitewashed floors on Pinterest so I'd love to see what they look like in reality!

Has anyone hired someone to sand/varnish the floorboards in the bedrooms? We would really like to white wash and varnish them to but it looks like it's a very labour intensive job so probably cost the same as getting laminate upstairs too? Please could you PM me who did it for you and an approximate cost.

Finally - anyone have any ideas of what to put down in the attic area of the Heron? Vinyl versus the cheapest laminate? I'm going to a flooring shop tomorrow so all these things are on my mind! Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭belleray

Forumsie wrote: »

Finally - anyone have any ideas of what to put down in the attic area of the Heron? Vinyl versus the cheapest laminate? I'm going to a flooring shop tomorrow so all these things are on my mind! Thanks in advance!

120 euro for a 16ft long carpet remnant from Des Kellys down the road, nails, a hammer and a stanley knife saw mine covered. They wrapped it up nice and neat so it was easy to pop in the back of the car and roll up the stairs. Job took about 90 minutes from leaving the house to shop to throwing the excess in the bin and admiring my handy work.

Thanks Belleray - I'll give you 150euro to do mine! Just kidding! I want to go with vinyl/lino/very cheap laminate rather than carpet so it's easier to clean. Am I right in assuming that since you put down carpet that the attic is essentially floored already that you can walk on without stepping through? If that's the case I'll be going with the cheapest possible option for the attic unless anyone has any other compelling recommendation

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭janeybaby

If you hear anything let me know. I'm also interested in this info.

Could I get the details for your garden landscaper also please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

One of our neighbors garden on Houzz

Looks nice

https://www.houzz.ie/projects/2411258/royal-canal-avenue

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭belleray

Would someone be able to send me the contact details for getting the heating system serviced. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 innie89

Hi guys ,

Does anyone know where to buy the stools that were in the ash showhouse ?

Thanks in advance 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Elektroduende

Hi everyone,

We bought a house in the last phase of RCP and just recently signed the contracts. We were wondering if anyone has tried talking to Ballymore about alterations? Have they been receptive? We were thinking anything from changing paint colours to putting double doors but not sure how open they will be to change it. Any info appreciated.

Thanks!

• Advertisement

We were told in no uncertain terms that there were no changes to anything. They won't do it anymore as they were way too much hassle with everyone wanting different things and it delayed completion. Ah well, they're still great houses!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 iregoyeah

Looking for a little help. We're moving into an Ash soon enough (all going well). Thinking about knocking out the wall/door between the kitchen and living room. Just wondering if anyone else has done it and has a rough idea of cost, pics or recommendations? Thanks a mill!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Keithchap

Keithchap wrote: »
    I have a a fair few moving boxes to give away if anyone is interested?

Any takers?

iregoyeah wrote: »
    Looking for a little help. We're moving into an Ash soon enough (all going well). Thinking about knocking out the wall/door between the kitchen and living room. Just wondering if anyone else has done it and has a rough idea of cost, pics or recommendations? Thanks a mill!

I'd imagine the main problem would be the radiator on the kitchen side of the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 iregoyeah

I'd imagine the main problem would be the radiator on the kitchen side of the wall.

There's actually no radiator on the kitchen or living room side in the Ash.

iregoyeah wrote: »
    There's actually no radiator on the kitchen or living room side in the Ash.

I see. Thought it was the same as the heron.

• Advertisement

Has anyone managed to get the VAT refund from the Home Renovation Incentive scheme? From what I can see flooring is included and shutters and they will definitely cost more combined than the €4k threshold so the 13.5% refund would be great. However, it seems you can only get on the system if you have a local property tax number. Any correct me if I'm wrong but new houses aren't currently subject to local property tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 n1ckymar1e

Has anyone managed to get the VAT refund from the Home Renovation Incentive scheme? From what I can see flooring is included and shutters and they will definitely cost more combined than the €4k threshold so the 13.5% refund would be great. However, it seems you can only get on the system if you have a local property tax number. Any correct me if I'm wrong but new houses aren't currently subject to local property tax?
    From my understanding new builds don’t qualify for the HRI. Correct me if I’m wrong though.

You're right new builds don't but I thought that meant people self building their houses. The way I thought about it was when Ballymore gave me keys the house is built and completed so what I'm putting into it then eg floors and shutters is an improvement so that would be eligible.

However the real impediment (from looking around the internet this morning) is the property tax. Seems we're not liable til after 2019 so we don't have an LPT number so cant claim. I'm ok with that though, the saving on property tax os about the same as the VAT refund I'd be getting

One more question (sorry guys, the bank holiday has me in full on house mode!) - is there a light in the back garden as standard? Thanks

One more question (sorry guys, the bank holiday has me in full on house mode!) - is there a light in the back garden as standard? Thanks
    yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 1dav

Hi All.
    Any advice on how to clean/remove stains from Minerva kitchen worktops?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭maciektok

1dav wrote: »
    Hi All.
    Any advice on how to clean/remove stains from Minerva kitchen worktops?
    Thanks

cleaning spray in pink bottle from Lidl does the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Elektroduende

We were told in no uncertain terms that there were no changes to anything. They won't do it anymore as they were way too much hassle with everyone wanting different things and it delayed completion. Ah well, they're still great houses!

Thanks Forumsie, pity though. We've heard they used to give few choices on paint colours, kitchen types and also moving the radiators to open up or to put doors in between the kitchen and living room. Just easier to do it during the build.

Does anyone living in a Heron have thoughts about putting doors between the kitchen and the living room?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Does anyone living in a Heron have thoughts about putting doors between the kitchen and the living room?

We live in a Heron and would highly recommend it. IMO it makes such a massive difference to downstairs. As you can imagine, its just more open and feels more spacious vs showhouse. We got it done though during the build which involved paying extra to move a radiator also (plus the double doors cost). However I believe they have decided against allowing it now unfortunately.
    It does kind of require you to lay out the house a little bit differently, e.g. not sure a table would make sense in the same place as the showhouse if you have a double doors.

All, last week I reached out to T.M. at Ballymore in relation to the poor quality of the internal garden soil (which is essentially non draining boulder clay) to see if they are planning to deal with it rather than ending up spending money with a private landscaper (last option). I made clear that the garden of the show house was in good shape as opposed to what we were delivered with our house. The job should be significant in my opinion, with soil to be removed (through the house - Heron type) and replaced, and new soil seeded or ready grass laid out. I received a reply today informing me that they are evaluating what to do about it with P.G., in charge of on-going phase 3 externals, and that they'll be in touch (hopefully not in the distant future!). So the good news is that they are obviously aware of a potential issue and that there may be something in it for us. Fingers crossed.
    If you are not happy with the quality of your garden soil, it would be a good idea to reach out to Ballymore as well, as the more complain about it, the better chance we may have to have this particular issue addressed for all.

slayerking wrote: »
    We live in a Heron and would highly recommend it. IMO it makes such a massive difference to downstairs. As you can imagine, its just more open and feels more spacious vs showhouse. We got it done though during the build which involved paying extra to move a radiator also (plus the double doors cost). However I believe they have decided against allowing it now unfortunately.
    It does kind of require you to lay out the house a little bit differently, e.g. not sure a table would make sense in the same place as the showhouse if you have a double doors.

They might at least move the radiator for you as I think it doesn't make much difference to them.

All, last week I reached out to T.M. at Ballymore in relation to the poor quality of the internal garden soil (which is essentially non draining boulder clay) to see if they are planning to deal with it rather than ending up spending money with a private landscaper (last option). I made clear that the garden of the show house was in good shape as opposed to what we were delivered with our house. The job should be significant in my opinion, with soil to be removed (through the house - Heron type) and replaced, and new soil seeded or ready grass laid out. I received a reply today informing me that they are evaluating what to do about it with P.G., in charge of on-going phase 3 externals, and that they'll be in touch (hopefully not in the distant future!). So the good news is that they are obviously aware of a potential issue and that there may be something in it for us. Fingers crossed.
    If you are not happy with the quality of your garden soil, it would be a good idea to reach out to Ballymore as well, as the more complain about it, the better chance we may have to have this particular issue addressed for all.

Thanks. I have been complaining about this as well, we have had a mudbath out the back all winter. I haven't had any feedback yet though.

Thanks Forumsie, pity though. We've heard they used to give few choices on paint colours, kitchen types and also moving the radiators to open up or to put doors in between the kitchen and living room. Just easier to do it during the build.

I originally wanted the pocket doors that some of other phases have, the open plan is nice. But I've come to terms with it now and recognise there are some advantages of leaving it closed off - I'm getting a big corner sofa! And a big (potentially concrete) table in the kitchen so having the double doors open would mean having to give up my corner couch or moving my table regularly

And we can have the door open to the family room - although closing that might be a benefit!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 bluemc

All, last week I reached out to T.M. at Ballymore in relation to the poor quality of the internal garden soil (which is essentially non draining boulder clay) to see if they are planning to deal with it rather than ending up spending money with a private landscaper (last option). I made clear that the garden of the show house was in good shape as opposed to what we were delivered with our house. The job should be significant in my opinion, with soil to be removed (through the house - Heron type) and replaced, and new soil seeded or ready grass laid out. I received a reply today informing me that they are evaluating what to do about it with P.G., in charge of on-going phase 3 externals, and that they'll be in touch (hopefully not in the distant future!). So the good news is that they are obviously aware of a potential issue and that there may be something in it for us. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for this. I think everyone is experiencing the same with the back yards. We raised it as a concern in our snagging and the morning we went back for final inspection there was a bit of a misdirect with a guy "working" in the back yard to rectify the problem before we moved in. They ran a rake over it..
    Will reach out to Ballymore as well and put a bit of pressure on.

raised the back garden soil in our snag, was told by the site manager that they wouldnt be doing anything with it.
    if anyone makes progress let me know.

Anyone getting Ghosting/shadowing on roof/walls? its not serious, but its annoying as it can be avoided with correct plastering and sealing of plasterboard seams.

Further to this, can anyone advise if ballymore have a duty to resolve issues in the houses once contracts are signed? if it was a 2nd hand house the original owner woudld entertain nothing, but im wondering if they have more responsibility as they are still on site and its a new house?

• Advertisement
Advertisement