Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes in the GAA - super thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,223 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Tomas O'Se made an interesting point about the Super 8s tonight. Said that the provincial winners should not have to play away. That would mean two home games and one neutral whether they play the other provincial winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

blanch152 wrote: »
    There are too many people who don't understand the purpose of Game Development. They think it is to enhance the inter-county team, but the reality is that it is used for increasing juvenile participation. Until they accept that, and we can move on to real issues that will help the inter-county game, the discussion is pointless.

Why can't Dublin spend some of their millions funding them? Why do the GAA need to pay 50%? Dublins GAA accounts show they have a big surplus every year so they clearly have the excess funds to do so. The GAA are bent over backwards for the Dubs the past 20 years.

I wouldn't split Dublin in 4 but it will have to be in 2. I also wouldn't split Dublin now while they're creating history. I'd let them do 10 or 11 in a row and see if they can catch Kerry's Sam total. But it will have to happen.

We could have a situation in 100 years where 50% of the population is in Dublin. It's not 1888 anymore. It could take 20 years to normalise North and South Dublin and maybe an AI win for each to get the fans fully behind it but when it becomes tradition it will be the GAA's biggest asset. The biggest Derby in Ireland and it would really capture the imagination of the capital. No more 30k/40k fans turning up for big games.

You'd also like to think North and South Dublin won't continue to steam roll everybody, especially in Leinster because otherwise we're ****ed. I can't see Dublin split more then two working. You'd imagine with Meath and Kildares populations continuing to grow they could compete most years with Dublin North or South.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Tomas O'Se made an interesting point about the Super 8s tonight. Said that the provincial winners should not have to play away. That would mean two home games and one neutral whether they play the other provincial winners.
    That's a load of f*cking w*nk. The beauty of the super 8's is every team gets a home and away match. It's a huge reward for the smaller counties to qualify and get a big team to their home town.

I never in my life thought I'd see kerry play meath in navan for a big match. Easy for Dublin or Kerry people to push that selfish idea given they walk their province almost every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

gaffer91 wrote: »
    Look there are a few simple steps the GAA can take to revitalise the inter- county game.

1. Split Dublin into four teams

That will never happen, I was discussing this with a Derry player and he stated that beating Dublin South etc would not feel like beating Dublin.

2. Pool sponsorship money centrally and divide fairly among all counties.

So Dublin invest in a commercial manager to maximise their sponsorship potential, but should share it with every county? Communism failed once before.

3. Once Dublin are split, share central funding more fairly among counties rather than just giving the lion's share to the team with multiple other advantages.

Funding does need to be addressed, but in a manner that benefits every county and not just "lets take all funding off Dublin because they are big enough to look after themselves"

Without splitting Dublin, even other steps like reducing the Games Development funds probably wouldn't make as much difference now- the damage has already been done. Dublin would need years of under- funding relative to everyone else for there to be even some hope of equality there.

Forcing Dublin to play away from their home in Croke Park more frequently, while also commendable, probably wouldn't make that much difference given how far ahead they are of everyone else.

I agree Dublin need to build their own stadium and play as other counties do, but will the GAA fund it like they did Cork. Would there be uproar if they did? Vey little debate about cork receiving 50M between GAA and government funding for PUC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Just a couple of questions for everyone.

1.Would everyone be in agreement that Dublin should build their own stadium?

2. Would you object to the GAA donating the same amount to it, as they did to Corks home ground?

It is a simple yes/no to both questions.

1. Not necessarily no. It is one option.
    2. Yes. But I didnt agree with the gaa spending that much on corks ground either

I think a simpler, more pragmatic option, is that dublin play away from home more, and that in big games in the all ireland series, efforts are made to get more people from the other county to the game to make it a bit more neutral an atmosphere. That is the real issue that I see. There are too many true blue dubs making calls in croke park. Things like Dublin getting the best dressing room every time for example. Indeed I recall an all ireland final between mayo and dublin where the half time entertainment was Aslan. The optics are all wrong there. They just need to put a bit of honest effort into making the thing neutral. People will say well it isnt Dublins fault, but it isnt any other teams fault either.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

There are too many people who don't understand the purpose of Game Development. They think it is to enhance the inter-county team, but the reality is that it is used for increasing juvenile participation. Until they accept that, and we can move on to real issues that will help the inter-county game, the discussion is pointless.

Not this again.

Why are Dublin made the exception when it comes to increasing participation? When every other county has issues around competing with other sports?

And before you say, its up to other counties to get their house in order, it would cost the GAA over 40 million annually if the Dublin model was followed in every county.

You are just rehashing points now that have well and truly been shown to be nonsense. You sound very like John Horan.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

I agree Dublin need to build their own stadium and play as other counties do, but will the GAA fund it like they did Cork. Would there be uproar if they did? Vey little debate about cork receiving 50M between GAA and government funding for PUC.

Croke Park is worth about 500M and is Dublin's home. The GAA got a lot of the money from the Bertie Ahern led government of the day.

We all know what the quid pro quo was. Give a huge increase in funds to Dublin, or else...

Free stadium and huge increase in funding. Dublin did quite well out of that deal.

Its more and more difficult to take the 5 in a row seriously, especially when Dublin supporters play dumb about the advantages they enjoy.

Croke Park is worth about 500M and is Dublin's home. The GAA got a lot of the money from the Bertie Ahern led government of the day.

We all know what the quid pro quo was. Give a huge increase in funds to Dublin, or else...

Free stadium and huge increase in funding. Dublin did quite well out of that deal.

Its more and more difficult to take the 5 in a row seriously, especially when Dublin supporters play dumb about the advantages they enjoy.

This is the thing people forget when they say stuff like 'life isnt fair' or 'there us always a natural order with some teams being stronger'.
    There was a natural order, bertie ahern and the gaa changed it. So this stuff about natural order or life not being fair isnt a defence. These things can be changed and have been already.

Similarly this is why dublins 5 in a row is and forever will be, viewed with an asterisk. Some people dont like that but they dont have to - it's just the way it is. It will be a plastic 5 in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

This is the thing people forget when they say stuff like 'life isnt fair' or 'there us always a natural order with some teams being stronger'.
    There was a natural order, bertie ahern and the gaa changed it. So this stuff about natural order or life not being fair isnt a defence. These things can be changed and have been already.

Similarly this is why dublins 5 in a row is and forever will be, viewed with an asterisk. Some people dont like that but they dont have to - it's just the way it is. It will be a plastic 5 in a row.

There will be no asterix. History will show winners and losers.

Fann Linn wrote: »

There already is one man. Can you not see that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,223 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

So it is bitterness, jealousy and sour grapes motivating some people on this issue. All successful teams have had to deal with this over the years.

The Kerry team of the 1970s and 1980s had to deal with accusations of effective full-time professionalism as well, with supporters finding "jobs" for players.

This Dublin team is the GOAT, no question, begrudgers are just that.

So it is bitterness, jealousy and sour grapes motivating some people on this issue. All successful teams have had to deal with this over the years.

The Kerry team of the 1970s and 1980s had to deal with accusations of effective full-time professionalism as well, with supporters finding "jobs" for players.

This Dublin team is the GOAT, no question, begrudgers are just that.

Repeating this stuff ad nauseam wont change the truth.

There already is one man. Can you not see that?

There will be no asterix highlighting financial doping, Dublin playing in Croker too many times, Hill 16 fans booing free takers or Aslan singing songs at half time or whatever other gripe or whinge ye may have.

There will be no asterix highlighting financial doping, Dublin playing in Croker too many times, Hill 16 fans booing free takers or Aslan singing songs at half time or whatever other gripe or whinge ye may have.

And again I point out to you - it's already there...

I do understand the mentality behind winning the first one or two. You didnt care about how you got there, you were just happy to be there, which is understandable.
    But surely now, there must be some dublin gaa people out there that have the advantages nagging at them in the back of their minds. It is only natural that any self respecting sportsperson would be starting to wonder how far they could cycle with the stabilisers off.

1. Not necessarily no. It is one option.
    2. Yes. But I didnt agree with the gaa spending that much on corks ground either

I think a simpler, more pragmatic option, is that dublin play away from home more, and that in big games in the all ireland series, efforts are made to get more people from the other county to the game to make it a bit more neutral an atmosphere. That is the real issue that I see. There are too many true blue dubs making calls in croke park. Things like Dublin getting the best dressing room every time for example. Indeed I recall an all ireland final between mayo and dublin where the half time entertainment was Aslan. The optics are all wrong there. They just need to put a bit of honest effort into making the thing neutral. People will say well it isnt Dublins fault, but it isnt any other teams fault either.

I've seen it all now. Aslan at half time are imfluencing the Dublin team. Give me a break FFS. I'ts getting rediculous some of the arguments being put forward. You could add in that if you are not at least a 3rd generation Dub you have to line out for your fathers or mothers county, or that if you don't live in the Dublin postal districts you have to line out for the nearest neighbouring county.

My points were addressing the majot gripe most people have with Dublin, that is the perception of home advantage. That Cork got substancial funding will have a big influence on that as a project.

Would you listen to yourself. Dublin received far leass than Cork, but Cork have not been successful, they are no threat so get a free pass, it was a capital project is another argument. Well the get Dublin out of Croker will need to be funded ala PUC. Croker belongs to the GAA not Dublin, and is not their home. Check the county board address, it's a big clue, but that does not suit you narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Repeating this stuff ad nauseam wont change the truth.
    And again I point out to you - it's already there...

Even with it pointed out clearly, I wonder if you can see what you did....

Throwing in the "No true Scotsman" fallacy was a nice touch too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭gaffer91

ah dont be ridiculous. Dublin has far more GAA members than nearly every county and much more in population
    why? How do you divide the county in 4. If any other county was doing well like this would you be calling for a county to be split.

Christ. As has been pointed out 100 times already- it's not just the fact they're winning, it's the fact they're doing it from a completely advantaged position.

Even if Dublin weren't winning every year the advantages should still be addressed. It's also why the "what about Kilkenny" arguments are garbage.

Also, Dublin's GAA membership is proportionally much smaller than many other counties and only slightly larger than Cork's, a county half its size population wise.
    There are some here who would split Dublin into 8 or 12 if they got the chance. Swallowing bile and lemons come to mind.

Gavin's right, ' we have a squad of players who play for their county, parish and community'.

Really the only bitter people are people from Dublin who are annoyed that people rightfully don't respect this financially doped team's achievements.

This has been debunked countless times already. Do you even read the replies?

There is much funding other than games development that is massively skewed towards Dublin. There is no reason Dublin should be unfairly favoured over every other county. Money spent on kids ultimately does end up benefiting the GAA as a whole in a particular county.

There are other reasons more than this as to why it's ridiculous but you seem to have difficulty reading and processing information so I better not overload you.

The "real issue" is that Dublin have unfair advantages that need to be addressed.

Not this again.

Why are Dublin made the exception when it comes to increasing participation? When every other county has issues around competing with other sports?

And before you say, its up to other counties to get their house in order, it would cost the GAA over 40 million annually if the Dublin model was followed in every county.

You are just rehashing points now that have well and truly been shown to be nonsense. You sound very like John Horan.

It's shocking. They just keep churning out the same nonsense over and over again. It's already been addressed so many times.

The Dublin team are basically viewed like Lance Armstrong to non- Dubs, just with financial doping and other things rather than performance enhancing drug use. Great players but zero respect for their achievements. If anything they should be embarrassed they haven't won more All Irelands given how heavily skewed everything is in their favour.

@ArielAtom you need to learn how to format your posts as they're impossible to reply to otherwise.

The Derry player anecdote is absolutely pathetic. Anyway, I was speaking to two Derry players myself who felt that Dublin should be split, so that should put the matter to bed using your logic.

Re the "communism" comparison- get a ****ing grip. This is an amateur sports organisation, not a country.

Glad you see funding needs to be addressed. Dublin will have to be completely underfunded relative to other counties for years to come to make up for their complete overfunding over the last 15 years for there to be even some hope of equality. And the sponsorship money should be shared.

You'd honestly swear the way the Dubs are going on that the millions of euro of extra money relative to everyone else (for years too), the population that dwarfs every other county, the endless home advantage makes no difference to results. Yet when people say these things need to be rectified you're immediately on the defensive.

Absolutely laughable.

I've seen it all now. Aslan at half time are imfluencing the Dublin team. Give me a break FFS. I'ts getting rediculous some of the arguments being put forward. You could add in that if you are not at least a 3rd generation Dub you have to line out for your fathers or mothers county, or that if you don't live in the Dublin postal districts you have to line out for the nearest neighbouring county.

My points were addressing the majot gripe most people have with Dublin, that is the perception of home advantage. That Cork got substancial funding will have a big influence on that as a project.

I never said they influenced the team, but most definitely they can rile up the fans and make it more of a home fixture. It is also obviously a decision taken with dublin fans in mind - in the all ireland final. The message is all wrong there, the attitude is all wrong there and the optics are terrible. The same attitude that john horan displays when questioned on dublin topics - 'we' 'us' etc etc.

• Advertisement

@ArielAtom you need to learn how to format your posts as they're impossible to reply to otherwise.

The Derry player anecdote is absolutely pathetic. Anyway, I was speaking to two Derry players myself who felt that Dublin should be split, so that should put the matter to bed using your logic.

Re the "communism" comparison- get a ****ing grip. This is an amateur sports organisation, not a country.

Glad you see funding needs to be addressed. Dublin will have to be completely underfunded relative to other counties for years to come to make up for their complete overfunding over the last 15 years for there to be even some hope of equality. And the sponsorship money should be shared.[/QUOTE]

Apologies if formatting is upsetting you, trying to reply via a mobile app has it's restrictions. But that is the least of your worries. You really need to understand basic English. The communism comparison is apt as the sharing of all funds secured are to be shared. Your logic on the Derryman is simply childish, but hey thats your way.

I am going to avoid this thread going forward, it was created for a reason and by god is it living up to it. I'll let all you bedgrudgers, asterisk queens and Aslan haters get on with your bitchfest. You should all follow the Brazilian kildare man, be some buzz for ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,306 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

You'd honestly swear the way the Dubs are going on that the millions of euro of extra money relative to everyone else (for years too), the population that dwarfs every other county, the endless home advantage makes no difference to results. Yet when people say these things need to be rectified you're immediately on the defensive.

Absolutely laughable.

The real dubs fans know well it’s a farce.

Often have had the “talk” with them after a few scoops and they openly admit its gone ridiculous.

Jaden wrote: »
    Even with it pointed out clearly, I wonder if you can see what you did....

Throwing in the "No true Scotsman" fallacy was a nice touch too.

It is no good being bitter about it now. In your heart if hearts you must have known that when government handouts started being sought, and when the funding was skewed to such an extent, that any subsequent achievements would be of little value.. That is just common sense. Did you ever believe that people wouldnt realise this and point this out? Would dubs not point this out if the shoe was on the other foot? Of course they would and proper order too.

The real dubs fans know well it’s a farce.

Often have had the “talk” with them after a few scoops and they openly admit its gone ridiculous.

We'll take that as gospel so. You and your mates full of drink.
    Sound.

Your logic on the Derryman is simply childish, but hey thats your way.

You don't see how you "speaking to a player from Derry" who apparently said that he wouldn't value a win against a split Dublin team as much, and using that as an argument against a split, is absolutely ridiculous?

I am going to avoid this thread going forward, it was created for a reason and by god is it living up to it. I'll let all you bedgrudgers, asterisk queens and Aslan haters get on with your bitchfest. You should all follow the Brazilian kildare man, be some buzz for ye.

Ah we all know you'll be back. With the same tired, debunked arguments too.

Sound.

Apparently one of them is a Derry player so you can take it to the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,306 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Sound.

Blame it on the dubs after a few gargles???

I know it’s taboo among dub gaa ppl to mention it openly ESPECIALLY so regarding Jim G.

He can never admit to it upfront but behind the scenes to other managers he’s admitted grudgingly to the inherent and ludicruous advantages Dublin has.

But then he tries to laugh it off and hope everyone forgets to ask the awkward questions....

Not happening folks.

Apparently one of them is a Derry player so you can take it to the bank.

Name him.

Name him.

I was being sarcastic. Making a joke about ArielAtoms previous ridiculous anecdote.

• Advertisement

Apologies if formatting is upsetting you, trying to reply via a mobile app has it's restrictions. But that is the least of your worries. You really need to understand basic English. The communism comparison is apt as the sharing of all funds secured are to be shared. Your logic on the Derryman is simply childish, but hey thats your way.

Communism?
    Would the taxpayer and the rest of the gaa world getting dublin out of the hole they were in not come under this banner also? Selective communism...

TV monies are shared in most sports. American football goes one further with their drafting of players. In a sporting context it is actually just called fair competition. Next you will be saying that teams starting at 0-0 is communism.

Advertisement