Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life is too short for bad coffee - The Off Topic thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

have no beans in the house presently, miscalculated the Bailies sub length, and never got a new sub.

Stuck some of the mrs' Lavazza Oro into the aeropress (17g/180ml/85c/2min) and it was grand. I'm not sure you can make "bad" coffee in the aeropress tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Bawnmore wrote: »
    €300, a Gaggia Classic is well within budget for example .

Was leaning towards this :

https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/smeg-ecf01

• Registered Users Posts: 19,816 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I was looking at those and almost went for one. Seems like a good machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭alec76

I don't know, there is no boiler there, only thermoblock ?
    Obviously he didn't try none pressuriesed basket with it...
    ...plastic tamper does the job......
    I wonder if this fella knows anything about espresso machines?

• Advertisement

Nothing wrong with a thermoblock, or a plastic tamper.

Boiler gives you constant temperature... without it almost impossible to get numbers right.... Unless you got extremely expensive water pump ....and expensive thermoblock ...combined with the boiler..not with this price range though.. As for the plastic tamper... Well, with the pressuresed basket no difference ...But again , you won't get decent shot with pressuresed basket.... Only great for newbies....

You seem to have some robust absolutist opinions there - I'll leave you to them...

I am not saying that following machine is bad,just not happy with the review , I would not call it "trusted"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭dball

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Had a bit of a disaster!

I've been using a blade grinder that I picked up in Aldi or Lidl a couple of years ago, when I first started properly getting into coffee. I've found it fine, but the lid fell the other day and now it won't "engage" and so the blades won't function.

Anyway, a while back I got one of these from a friend

S_DFWPNDOP.jpg

A Hario hand grinder, I put it together and it works fine, I need to get used to tweaking the grind size though.

I'd been given a bag of these for Father's Day, the roastery is around the corner from the house.

A fairly good Light Roast Rwandan, had a cup from the Aeropress this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭caviardreams

With the sunny weather I have been having coffee in the late afternoon the past week, so opting for decaff :eek::eek::eek:

The Bell Lane one is very nice, for a decaff. Still prefer non-decaff for a much fuller and better flavour but the decaff is drinkable for sure.

Any other good decaffs round, or am I gonna get kicked off the forum for asking such a question? :pac::p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

With the sunny weather I have been having coffee in the late afternoon the past week, so opting for decaff :eek::eek::eek:

The Bell Lane one is very nice, for a decaff. Still prefer non-decaff for a much fuller and better flavour but the decaff is drinkable for sure.

Any other good decaffs round, or am I gonna get kicked off the forum for asking such a question? :pac::p

*click* Ignored

:D

I don't drink decaff so have no real recommendations. Just to say I am partial to an iced coffee in the warm weather :)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭north south east west

What's McCabes coffee like? They are selling 1 kg bags of a number of different roasts for 21 euro which seems like good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭dball

finally got one of the bean to cup machines last week on prime day on amazon, great thread over in Bargain alerts
    about it.

Selling these as a result if i am allowed to post this here:
    https://www.adverts.ie/small-kitchen-appliances/nespresso-coffee-grinder-espresso-french-press/18392538

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

I picked one up for €100 when my Gaggia Classic was acting up. Despite it's spec it actually makes superb smooth espressos and the milk frother is very easy to use. I'd hesitate at full price (currently €280 in BTs) but if you can get a good one at the right price why not?
    there's an awfuf lot of nonsense talked about espresso machines but the bottom line is do they make good coffee? This one does.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Well if you were a German couple in Venice, it might beat a €950 fine for sitting down and making coffee on the steps of an old bridge. But other than that, the WiFi?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

The Nal wrote: »

gateway drug. non coffee drinkers into bad coffee drinkers, result in increase in good coffee drinkers in a few years??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

mossym wrote: »
    gateway drug. non coffee drinkers into bad coffee drinkers, result in increase in good coffee drinkers in a few years??

I don't hold out much hope.

Gloria Jeans is still busy, people seem very willing to pay over the mark for bad coffee.

Perhaps it's just a place to sit and chat?

I go to the indie shops for good coffee, but they do tend to be very small places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

i was in london for a few days and stopped into this place called long and short coffee its just off brick lane

i brought home some of this stuff

https://longandshort.london/coffee-shop/coffee/dambi-udo-ethiopia/

it really is gorgeous

What weight are those bags - I assume 250g?

It says only 200g( additional information)

So €60 a kilo if you include postage. I'll pass.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Complete noob here, I recently brought a v60 and decided to try this morning, it came out looking like tea o_O , any ideas why this would happen? I followed a step by step guide as well .

Complete noob here, I recently brought a v60 and decided to try this morning, it came out looking like tea o_O , any ideas why this would happen? I followed a step by step guide as well .

Sort of what it looks like from a V60. Did you grind the beans enough and pour the water directly on the coffee?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

The Nal wrote: »
    Sort of what it looks like from a V60. Did you grind the beans enough and pour the water directly on the coffee?

Yup It was a coarse grind, maybe I should have gone finer though?

Yup It was a coarse grind, maybe I should have gone finer though?

Yup try it. The finer the grind the stronger the coffee!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

How much coffee and how much water did you use? How did it taste?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

What coffee are you using?

You should get a nice 'blooming' coffee bed at the start. Try not to pour too much all at once, go in consistent pulses where the bed is immersed . Try not to agitate the bed too much by pouring harshly. The idea is you want a gentle, constant flow of hot water through the bed of coffee and out the bottom.

Would recommend you do about 16g in and 250g out. Try time it for 3 mins. if it's off that mark you may need to adjust finer/coarser.

You should get an amazing cup of coffee if you do it right. Juicy and clean tasting coffee.

Advertisement