Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Life is too short for bad coffee - The Off Topic thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

have no beans in the house presently, miscalculated the Bailies sub length, and never got a new sub.

Stuck some of the mrs' Lavazza Oro into the aeropress (17g/180ml/85c/2min) and it was grand. I'm not sure you can make "bad" coffee in the aeropress tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Bawnmore wrote: »
    €300, a Gaggia Classic is well within budget for example .

Was leaning towards this :

https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/smeg-ecf01

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I was looking at those and almost went for one. Seems like a good machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

I don't know, there is no boiler there, only thermoblock ?
    Obviously he didn't try none pressuriesed basket with it...
    ...plastic tamper does the job......
    I wonder if this fella knows anything about espresso machines?

• Advertisement

Nothing wrong with a thermoblock, or a plastic tamper.

Boiler gives you constant temperature... without it almost impossible to get numbers right.... Unless you got extremely expensive water pump ....and expensive thermoblock ...combined with the boiler..not with this price range though.. As for the plastic tamper... Well, with the pressuresed basket no difference ...But again , you won't get decent shot with pressuresed basket.... Only great for newbies....

You seem to have some robust absolutist opinions there - I'll leave you to them...

I am not saying that following machine is bad,just not happy with the review , I would not call it "trusted"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭dball

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Had a bit of a disaster!

I've been using a blade grinder that I picked up in Aldi or Lidl a couple of years ago, when I first started properly getting into coffee. I've found it fine, but the lid fell the other day and now it won't "engage" and so the blades won't function.

Anyway, a while back I got one of these from a friend

S_DFWPNDOP.jpg

A Hario hand grinder, I put it together and it works fine, I need to get used to tweaking the grind size though.

I'd been given a bag of these for Father's Day, the roastery is around the corner from the house.

A fairly good Light Roast Rwandan, had a cup from the Aeropress this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭caviardreams

With the sunny weather I have been having coffee in the late afternoon the past week, so opting for decaff :eek::eek::eek:

The Bell Lane one is very nice, for a decaff. Still prefer non-decaff for a much fuller and better flavour but the decaff is drinkable for sure.

Any other good decaffs round, or am I gonna get kicked off the forum for asking such a question? :pac::p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭limnam

With the sunny weather I have been having coffee in the late afternoon the past week, so opting for decaff :eek::eek::eek:

The Bell Lane one is very nice, for a decaff. Still prefer non-decaff for a much fuller and better flavour but the decaff is drinkable for sure.

Any other good decaffs round, or am I gonna get kicked off the forum for asking such a question? :pac::p

*click* Ignored

:D

I don't drink decaff so have no real recommendations. Just to say I am partial to an iced coffee in the warm weather :)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭north south east west

What's McCabes coffee like? They are selling 1 kg bags of a number of different roasts for 21 euro which seems like good value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭dball

finally got one of the bean to cup machines last week on prime day on amazon, great thread over in Bargain alerts
    about it.

Selling these as a result if i am allowed to post this here:
    https://www.adverts.ie/small-kitchen-appliances/nespresso-coffee-grinder-espresso-french-press/18392538

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

I picked one up for €100 when my Gaggia Classic was acting up. Despite it's spec it actually makes superb smooth espressos and the milk frother is very easy to use. I'd hesitate at full price (currently €280 in BTs) but if you can get a good one at the right price why not?
    there's an awfuf lot of nonsense talked about espresso machines but the bottom line is do they make good coffee? This one does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,020 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Well if you were a German couple in Venice, it might beat a €950 fine for sitting down and making coffee on the steps of an old bridge. But other than that, the WiFi?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

The Nal wrote: »

gateway drug. non coffee drinkers into bad coffee drinkers, result in increase in good coffee drinkers in a few years??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

mossym wrote: »
    gateway drug. non coffee drinkers into bad coffee drinkers, result in increase in good coffee drinkers in a few years??

I don't hold out much hope.

Gloria Jeans is still busy, people seem very willing to pay over the mark for bad coffee.

Perhaps it's just a place to sit and chat?

I go to the indie shops for good coffee, but they do tend to be very small places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

i was in london for a few days and stopped into this place called long and short coffee its just off brick lane

i brought home some of this stuff

https://longandshort.london/coffee-shop/coffee/dambi-udo-ethiopia/

it really is gorgeous

What weight are those bags - I assume 250g?

It says only 200g( additional information)

So €60 a kilo if you include postage. I'll pass.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Complete noob here, I recently brought a v60 and decided to try this morning, it came out looking like tea o_O , any ideas why this would happen? I followed a step by step guide as well .

Complete noob here, I recently brought a v60 and decided to try this morning, it came out looking like tea o_O , any ideas why this would happen? I followed a step by step guide as well .

Sort of what it looks like from a V60. Did you grind the beans enough and pour the water directly on the coffee?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

The Nal wrote: »
    Sort of what it looks like from a V60. Did you grind the beans enough and pour the water directly on the coffee?

Yup It was a coarse grind, maybe I should have gone finer though?

Yup It was a coarse grind, maybe I should have gone finer though?

Yup try it. The finer the grind the stronger the coffee!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

How much coffee and how much water did you use? How did it taste?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

What coffee are you using?

You should get a nice 'blooming' coffee bed at the start. Try not to pour too much all at once, go in consistent pulses where the bed is immersed . Try not to agitate the bed too much by pouring harshly. The idea is you want a gentle, constant flow of hot water through the bed of coffee and out the bottom.

Would recommend you do about 16g in and 250g out. Try time it for 3 mins. if it's off that mark you may need to adjust finer/coarser.

You should get an amazing cup of coffee if you do it right. Juicy and clean tasting coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Not sure if anyone else had the same experience, but I found that I couldn't get even close to a consistent cup from a V60 until I got a gooseneck kettle to pour from. Before that I was trying to pour directly from the kettle, then from a jug and then from a teapot and they were all making a bad cup every time as I couldn't pour slowly or consistently enough. Picked up a gooseneck for 10 quid and the cup improved immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,681 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Just wondering, has anyone ever tried something called Butter Coffee?

Sounds rather unhealthy, and oily coffee??? (gag reflex kicking in)

I add cream to my espresso. Sort of the same idea but better result. I have ended up with butter coffee from dunking toast :D

it's nice enough, but I prefer cream.

Nothing wrong with saturated fats, healthwise. Cholesterol doesn't cause cardiovascular disease. It's carbs that are fattening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Deja Boo wrote: »
    Just wondering, has anyone ever tried something called Butter Coffee?

Sounds rather unhealthy, and oily coffee??? (gag reflex kicking in)

Bulletproof Coffee? Been plenty of discussion about it over on the fitness forum over the years.

I'll pass :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

adrian522 wrote: »

Man, that ****ed with my OCD real bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭Good jib!

@Misky

That wasn't too bad, I was worried he was going to put his fingers in to pull out the cardboard and then serve it to someone! *shudders*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

The Bailies Xmas blend is really nice, there's a lovely creamy chocolate finish to it.

I went for the Bell Lane Elf Espresso this year - really nice too - kind of on the fruitier side than I normally go for. I'm a chocolatey person, so might still have to get some of the Bailies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,721 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I went for the Bell Lane Elf Espresso this year - really nice too - kind of on the fruitier side than I normally go for. I'm a chocolatey person, so might still have to get some of the Bailies!

Full Circle Christmas was similar, very fruity with a hint of chocolate towards the end of the shot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

The Bailies Xmas blend is really nice, there's a lovely creamy chocolate finish to it.

Good news.
    I'm into my two bags next week.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Just ordered 3 bags of "back up" for over the Christmas period. More will be consumed and I don't want to be caught out over the holidays.
    Do the same every year.

Failure to prepare etc ;)

Finally got around to trying Bell Lane's Black Tie - absolutely gorgeous - might be my new favourite of theirs. Really rich and chocolatey - I drink Americano but imagine it would work in milk based drinks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,289 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Hopefully my secret Santa used my wishlist to get me the grinder I wanted, what would be the best places to buy beans?

I lean towards the sweeter side, usually with a drop of milk. Sample sizes would be even better so I could try a few types if possible.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Hopefully my secret Santa used my wishlist to get me the grinder I wanted, what would be the best places to buy beans?

I lean towards the sweeter side, usually with a drop of milk. Sample sizes would be even better so I could try a few types if possible.

There are no shortage of places to buy good beans - I find the fun is in trying new ones. Roast date makes a huge difference, so to get the best out of the grinder go for fresh beans imo.

There are loads of good places online now, as well as local cafes which would be worth your while checking out - shopping local is always good!

Irish roasters I use regularly are Bell Lane, Badger & Dodo and Bailies. I use Rave in the UK, and then pick up some bags locally now and again too (Nick's coffee in Ranelagh is nice)

Most places do 250g bags which are not that long lasting if you drink a good bit of coffee and it migth take you a shot or two to dial in the grind anyway :pac::pac:

Enjoy :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,460 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Bought a grinder and an aeropress

Anyone give me a pointer/suggestion on some decent beans I could easily pick up before Christmas.

Lavazza or similar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

lawred2 wrote: »
    Bought a grinder and an aeropress

Anyone give me a pointer/suggestion on some decent beans I could easily pick up before Christmas.

Lavazza or similar?

Where are you based?

Most local coffee shops have something nice and handy. If you are talking supermarkets, most Aldi stores stock Velo, which is about €4 a bag and is roasted in Cork. No roast dates on the bags though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,460 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Where are you based?

Most local coffee shops have something nice and handy. If you are talking supermarkets, most Aldi stores stock Velo, which is about €4 a bag and is roasted in Cork. No roast dates on the bags though.

North county Dublin. Yeah might be an idea to pop into one of the local coffee shops.

Take it the Lidl type stuff is muck? Same for Robert Roberts etc. What about Lavazza?

Any standard supermarket sold brands/beans that are fine if stuck?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

North county Dublin. Yeah might be an idea to pop into one of the local coffee shops.

Take it the Lidl type stuff is muck? Same for Robert Roberts etc. What about Lavazza?

As I understand, the standard Lidl/Aldi beans are made by Robert Roberts. That's the case for their tea anyway (or at least it used to be!). I'm not a big fan.

Lavazza is okay but all depends on taste. Again, no roast dates on their standard stuff but that's probably what I'd pick up if my only local was a Super Valu or Dunnes, for example.

I try to get to my local cafes (Cork based so can't help with North County Dublin I'm afraid) but if caught out in a pinch, Aldi for Velo beans is my go to.

I would stay away from Lavazza...but it is me.
    I’ve tried couple bags from Lidl (brown 250g ) ,single origin Ethiopian and Colombian ,roasted in Germany ,there are roasted dates there too! ( September/October ). There are not very bad ,drinkable..... Not sure if it regular or one time event though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement