Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-11-2019, 21:49   #16
Isambard

my bet is that a 1976 car would have been "FOR REG" and a number allocated. How you find out, I don't know.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
28-11-2019, 00:20   #17
alfa beta

All interesting stuff folks - thanks for the info - especially the pointers to Gowan motors - I didn't realise they were distributers as far back as 1969 so that may well be a good place to start. Thanks again
28-11-2019, 00:25   #18
kaizersoze

*****Follow Thread*****
Thanks from:
28-11-2019, 13:35   #19
Titzon Toast

Pics OP. Give us pics please.
(4) thanks from:
28-11-2019, 20:25   #20
alfa beta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titzon Toast View Post
Pics OP. Give us pics please.

lol - okay - I'll see what i can get - lack of light and space may be a prob but I'll try my best!!
(5) thanks from:
Advertisement
28-11-2019, 20:30   #21
SmartinMartin

Bloody Ell, this is one to watch.
(3) thanks from:
28-11-2019, 23:47   #22
unkel
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa beta View Post
So, my Dad (God rest his motoring and hoarding soul) bought a new Peugeot 504 in 1976, drove it home, decided he wasn't that keen on it
What age were you when that happened? Do you remember? Did he just go out and buy another brand new car? What did he do for a living that he could afford that, old money in the family or a really good job? Afaik there was no car financing back then, you needed to buy the car for cash. Not meaning to be nosy / prying but this is a fascinating story
28-11-2019, 23:53   #23
Ads by Google

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkel View Post
What age were you when that happened? Do you remember? Did he just go out and buy another brand new car? What did he do for a living that he could afford that, old money in the family or a really good job? Afaik there was no car financing back then, you needed to buy the car for cash. Not meaning to be nosy / prying but this is a fascinating story
The barn being there for that many years suggests a farmer. Maybe he sold some land with good road frontage and only a 90-minute commute to Dublin.
(3) thanks from:
29-11-2019, 00:43   #24
alfa beta

Quote:

He was a genius, a hard worker, an entrepreneur (before the word became trendy) and thrifty as hell when it came to watching the pennies. As an electrician and a electrical shop owner in the 1960's (Around the time of full rural electrification) he was in the right place at the right time. TVs and radios were his forte, but he'd buy and sell anything - electricals, hardware, bikes, motorbikes, household stuff, clocks, you name it, he'd stock it and sell it. And not only could he sell stuff, he could repair pretty much anything too (especially in the days when electrical goods were repairable).

There was certainly no old money in the family - to be honest there was no money at all, as his Dad (my grandfather) died when my Dad was just a kid, which meant he was packed off to some industrial school in Dublin during his teens while his mother tried to make ends meet by running a very small farm (12 acres) on her own. On finishing school he got a job in a shop, and when he was refused a raise that he asked for after a couple of years, he decided to bite the bullet and go for things on his own. He managed to talk his way into getting a dealership (from Bush or Pye or one the popular electrical suppliers at the time (early 60's)) and by working his arse off over the next few years and steering clear of debt when he could (that was his big no-no!) he made a success of things.

I would have been 4 in 1976 so I've no memory of him buying that car, nor am I 100% sure why he never used it. He always had lots of 'stuff' around the place by then so an extra car wrapped up at the back of a shed wasn't that unusual!!. He was always repairing things, old motorbikes or gramaphones or furniture etc with mates of his, maybe buying old Ferguson tractors for no apparent reason, there's even a couple of boats lying around though he was **** scared of the sea. Buying, selling, fixing, repairing.... that was what he lived for. And he could turn his hand to anything, from plumbing to electrics to building (and also to things of a more artistic vein like acting, painting and poetry.) It was only in his latter years I really began to appreciate him for the (sometimes eccentric but always likeable and dependable) genius that he genuinely was.

I miss him. We all do. It would be a lot more fun to be getting his gadgets and his gizmos up and running if he was still here. He'd know what to do with them, you see. That was the thing with him, he always seemed to know what to do
(386) thanks from:
11wingnut, 171170, 5T3PH3N, 7 Seconds..., accensi0n, Agent Coulson, aidyhawse, Alanstrainor, Albert Johnson, Alfasudcrazy, allen175, Alun, amdublin, AndyBoBandy, Appleguy, ARGINITE, ArielAtom, ASOT, Augeo, Bandana boy, banie01, Bannasidhe, BASHIR, bazzz, BBDBB, Big Nasty, biketard, Billgirlylegs, Birdie086, Bitten & Hisses, black forest, blackvalley, blastman, blindside88, blue5000, Boards.ie, Bob Harris, Bogwoppit, boldspirit, bonnieprince, BonnieSituation, Brian Scan, C0N0R, cadaliac, Cali_girl, cameramonkey, cantdecide, Captain Havoc, Carawaystick, Catmologen, cdaly_, cefh17, CharlieCroker, charlietheminxx, Cheshire Cat, ChristyM, Ciano35, CianRyan, cillchainnigh, claregal1, clintondaly, Collibosher, colliemcc, colm_mcm, contrary_devil, Cookie_Monster, Cork_exile, Corruptedmorals, corsav6, CR 7, CrankyHaus, Crow92, cruizer101, Cul a cnoic, Cushtie, cute geoge, cutymonalisa, Cyclonius, Dades, Damien360, Dardania, DaveCol, dazberry, dball, DelBoy Trotter, Deminiman, Deub, Dibble, diego_b, dinnybyrne, Dj Stiggie, dobman88, Don Joe, Donie75, Doodah7, DoubleD, Draig, DreamsBurnDown, drive3331, DublinCJM, Duke O Smiley, dusty207, Duvet Day, E30i, E36Ross, earlytobed, eddhorse, El Weirdo, emeldc, enrique66_35, EoinMoran, Fahy90, FAILSAFE 00, FanadMan, Filmer Paradise, fineso.mom, Foggy Jew, fondriest, For Forks Sake, ForFoxSake, Four Phucs Ache, FrancieBrady, frash, Fritzbox, Funfair, funkey_monkey, galwaytt, gammygils, gary550, geminiman63, gerrybbadd, gfwd, gledge, gman2k, gobo99, Going Strong, gouche, gozunda, Gremlinertia, guil, GustavoFring, guyinkk, GVHOT, gypsylee, ham_n_mustard, Hector Savage, heffo500, Heraldoffreeent, Heres Johnny, Hifive, HildaOgdenx, Hill St Blue, hooch-85, hoodie6029, hullaballoo, humberklog, Hunky Monster, iamtony, ianob7, Igotadose, IITYWYBMAD, inforfun, InstaSte, Interceptor, Interslice, is_that_so, Itssoeasy, ITV2, jack of all, jake66, James Bond Junior, jammiedodgers, JayZeus, jcd5971, jem, jim o doom, jimbis, Joe390, joeysoap, JoeySully, johnb25, Johnboy1951, JPCN1, JustLen, K.Flyer, Kamili, Kason White Cactus, kc66, Kenjataimu, Kenny Logins, kev1.3s, Keyzer, kindalen, kk.man, knucklehead6, koutoubia, Larbre34, laros, Leilak, Leo Demidov, Leonard Hofstadter, limnam, lissard, longgonesilver, Lord Nikon, lotmc, Luckycharms_74, Lurching, maebee, MAJJ, Mam of 4, mammychicken, Manzoor14, marty whelan, maximoose, MayoForSam, mayota, Mean Laqueefa, meercat, Meteorite58, Metric Tensor, mfceiling, mgbgt1978, miamee, micko45, Midnight_EG, miller_63, millington, Minister Boyce, mlem123, monkeysnapper, MonkieSocks, MorganIRL, Mortelaro, Mr Magnolia, MrCostington, muckwarrior, Muppet Man, ncmc, neacy69, NeVeR, New Home, NewbridgeIR, Neyite, nhg, nick 56, Nigzcurran, noelf, Notch000, Odelay, Odyssey 2005, oleras, ondafly, outfox, pablo128, Paddy_man, passinginterest, PatM65, patrickc, patsfan1286, patsy_mccabe, PauloMN, Peatys, Pedro32561, Phibsboro, phunkadelic, pocketse, Pops_20, porker36, Posy, Potato Man, promethius, Psychedelic Hedgehog, quaalude, Quackster, Quandary, Quantum Erasure, questionmark?, raddo, ratracer, ReginaldSmythV, Rosahane, Rows Grower, Rulmeq, Ryath, sarah88, scotchy, scudzilla, SeaFields, Seth Brundle, shineon23, Shorty69664, sidcon, Simpleton, Sinister Kid, sixpack's little hat, skibum, Skill Magill, slave1, Sleepy, Slideways, Smallglass, SmallTeapot, Snugly, solerina, SomethingElse, south, spurious, srfc d16, StabiloBoss, Standard Toaster, Star Lord, STB., stock>, Stoner, Stoolbend, Stroke Politics, Strumms, Suckler, sugarman, sugarman20, sundodger5, SuperS54, Sweetest Perfection, Tacitus Kilgore, Tazio, tc20, Tenshot, The Muppet, The Red Ace, The Ritz, The Royal Scam, thereitisgone, TheTorment, the_pen_turner, This is it, Three More Big Sleeps, Thud, Tiercel Dave, Timmaay, tipptom, Titzon Toast, tnegun, tobsey, Tommyboy40, TommyGun2017, tom_k, tricky D, twirlagig, twowheelsonly, Type 17, Tyson Lannister, undecided, unkel, Unknown Soldier, up for anything, v240gltse, vectra, VG31, vickers209, Vic_08, Vowel Movement, Wanderer19, washiskin, wench, Westernyelp, westgolf, WestWicklow1, wexfordman2, Wheelnut, White Clover, Widdensushi, WildWater, Wishbone Ash, wonski, Woodsie1, Working class heroes, wowy, wyrn, Yawlboy, Yester, Yoghurt87, zilog_jones, zinzan, zippy84, _ptashek_
Advertisement
29-11-2019, 01:07   #25
unkel
Category Moderator

That's a lovely post and a great tribute to your father. Brought a tear to my eye. My own father was very much the same and I didn't appreciate him enough until after he was gone. He was a research engineer for Philips electronics all his working life. And as someone very concerned with where the world was heading from back decades ago, since the early 70s, he would have loved the big changes for the good in tech that are happening now, like renewable energies and electric cars. He had solar PV panels on his roof in the 90s!
29-11-2019, 09:01   #26
Chinese whospers

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa beta View Post
He was a genius, a hard worker, an entrepreneur (before the word became trendy) and thrifty as hell when it came to watching the pennies. As an electrician and a electrical shop owner in the 1960's (Around the time of full rural electrification) he was in the right place at the right time. TVs and radios were his forte, but he'd buy and sell anything - electricals, hardware, bikes, motorbikes, household stuff, clocks, you name it, he'd stock it and sell it. And not only could he sell stuff, he could repair pretty much anything too (especially in the days when electrical goods were repairable).
Up until this point I was wondering if a family member of mine had wrote this post. It's very similar to my own dad. When you said you were 4 in 1976 I was wondering if I posted it The rest is also very similar, a pathological dislike for debt. He was once asked to set up a company to manufacturer TV's but wouldn't take on the risk.

However, from the south. I'd say your and my dad would have had a lot in common!

My dad is in his late 80s. A few years back he built a sizeable spitfire with a wingspan of several feet from the weekly magazines, that actually flies. He did learn to be a pilot when younger, and had bought the colour blind test book because... he was colour blind. But, his was only a hobby pilot, never owned a plane, but flying solo is probably one of his most treasured memories. Being colour blind never stopped him being a consummate TV repair mine either.

Looking forwards to seeing the pics.
(5) thanks from:
29-11-2019, 18:33   #27
The Red Ace

Quote:
Unkel, afraid to disappoint you but there was car financing back then, as mentioned I had a Peugeot 404 as a young fellow around the same time all with the compliments of Mercantile Credit, any one remember them.
29-11-2019, 19:41   #28
Wheelnut

Yeah, I remember Mercantile Credit, I had several loans from them for cars.

Regarding the advice to go to the motor tax office, I'm not so sure. I recently had to deal with the registration of a 1958 vintage tractor. The motor tax office was able to find the file in their archive section. The registration number and chassis number matched but the description said it was a van. The girl on the phone suggested that I might have had it converted! Obviously a mistake had been made when transferring it to archive. The point is that motor tax staff are not technically minded so you can not depend on any technical facts produced by them.
29-11-2019, 20:05   #29
ncmc

I’m very sorry for your loss. Your dad sounds like a wonderful man. I hope you can get the car sorted and get it up and running in his memory.
(3) thanks from:
30-11-2019, 12:23   #30
Alfasudcrazy

Such a fascinating story. If you ever get weary of the ordeal I would gladly buy it as is and try to get it on the road myself. Have you any idea which 504 model it is L or GL etc. Obviously you know the colour and seat trim?

My opinion is that if the car has never been registered here at all then it could be difficult to do so now without some bureaucrat insisting that it be treated like a new VW - which would mean it would be impossible to register as it would not comply with current conformity regulations.

You may well have to export the car and get it registered in some other country then bring it back and register it here.

Yes I remember mercantile credit too - my first 128 3p was bought through it. Paid the loan off early jut to get rid of it from my life but you still got no discount for doing that

Last edited by Alfasudcrazy; 30-11-2019 at 12:29.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion