Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

off-road declaration for classics

Options
  • 08-04-2014 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

Wonder if someone could help.

My old man has a shed full of cars that are in various stages of decay - they include a 1950's Morris 8, a 1963 Mercedes Benz, a 1969 MG midget, a 1979 Peugeot 504 (with delivery mileage!!) and a few old motorbikes (an 81 Harley and an 82 Honda), a couple of tractors and other bits and pieces. (It's a great shed!!)

Thing is last year when the off-road regulations changed he (typically) ignored any impact it might have had on him and did nothing about declaring any of the cars above off road.

Now he tells me that if he wants to get any of them back on the road he'd actually have to pay full tax in arrears for all the years since they were last taxed. This would be a huge amount - since we're talking the 60's and 70's since they were on the road.

So, I just want to check with you guys in the know here if what he's saying is right - coz it'd be a shame if an oversight on his part (well to be honest, a hefty lump of stubbornness) means that these cars may never see the light of day again (on the grounds of a huge tax bill awaiting their re-use).

thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Currently there are ways around it. He probably needs to do nothing until such time as he puts them back on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

He can "sell" the vehicle to someone else. The "new" owner is only liable for tax from the date/ month of sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Yes, as said above, the only way around it is to sell the cars to someone else, the tax then only becomes liable from that transaction date.
    I'd say your father is not the only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

If they've been off the road for a long time, and needing some kind of work to get them back on the road, is it likely that they will ever see the light of day sometime soon.
    Has he ever considered selling them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

Thanks for the answers.

So couple of queries now...can the buyer of the vehicles be someone within the family?

Can the buyer declare the cars off road straightaway once the transaction in done (As none of the cars are road-ready)?

And @ swarlb - you don't know my old fella - the concept of selling anything is utterly and inexplicably alien to him - he's more than a bit of a hoarder. And we're not talking just cars either! - Could be a show about the man on telly sometime!!!

Thanks again all. Appreciate you taking the time to reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

alfa beta wrote: »
    Thanks for the answers.

So couple of queries now...can the buyer of the vehicles be someone within the family?

Can the buyer declare the cars off road straightaway once the transaction in done (As none of the cars are road-ready)?

Yes, and Yes.

Advertisement