Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

EZ Living Christmassy shop has opened inside the Blanchardstown Centre

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Gangu

Hello, I’ve been reading this cheery thread. How nice.

I’m usually a radio head but am going to keep talk radio and news off this weekend. I’m fed up.

Instead I’m going to start planning some surprise Christmas parcels for friends and family. I found this lovely website and am going to find some Irish small stocking filler gifts for the parcels. https://justbuyirish.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,832 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I got my paint.
    Also got most of the cake/pudding stuff and tubs of sweets/biscuits.
    It came to just over €200 and the lady went off and got me vouchers so it came to €170.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 little bird

My 76 year old Ma looked like a young wan this evening when I told her that I had made her wash & b/d appointment for Christmas Eve.

My 76 year old Ma looked like a young wan this evening when I told her that I had made her wash & b/d appointment for Christmas Eve.

When I read ‘’wash’’ I trying to figure out why you were getting your mother washed on Christmas Eve and I had no idea what a B/D was!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Haha, freshpopcorn. :D

Gangu wrote: »
    Hello, I’ve been reading this cheery thread. How nice.
    Hope you stick around- we need as much cheer as we can get!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

That's it. I'm in the mood now. Trace Xmas has just played Driving Home For Christmas. One off my favorites.
    Time to roll up the sleeves and get in the spirit :D
    Choo choo

We're into the sixties. (It was hard finding a PG image Today!)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Loads of Christmas paper, cards, bags, tags and other stuff in Bookstation this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Was at the m50 beech vista shop last week getting some Halloween decorations, they have lots of Christmas stuff for sale already, some of it is very expensive but looks great, metal post box, toy soldiers.

afternoon all I went to Blanchardstown Shopping Centre for 8.30 this morning, was home at 10.30 very happy with what I got I stuck to my list Christmas gifts and some birthday gifts, picked up the Christmas tea light holders I wanted for my Christmas dinner table

Lots of wrapping paper in søstrene grene and cute gift tags with gift boxes unfortunately they were not in the colours I wanted I got some cellophane there
    that will come in handy with wrapping some things

For all the candle lovers like myself Dunnes have nice ones that will do as token gifts for 4 euro not all Christmassy scents but you could burn all year and some Christmassy scents too very nice :)

Dunnes had tins of afternoon tea, mince pies and Christmas slices scattered around the drapery department sure sign Christmas is on the way

For the Penneys lovers nice stuff in homewares that is Christmassy but not a lot of baubles yet, I spoke to another shopper and she had been on the hunt for small size in PJS and said the city centre had none she thought stock was low Blancharstown store was the best she had seen

Now time for some lunch and browsing the Boots gift guide picked it up at the door in the store,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

My husband just randomly started singing "Step into Christmas"....I also lit my Yankee Christmas Eve candle today...must be something in the water :D

The Argos Christmas Gift Guide for 2020 is out!

121992734_2770791506576786_4996465706607765199_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=O-Dog9z-JC4AX8sW0bB&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=18203aa6b69295727b83be876046ec61&oe=5FB11FB6

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

The Argos Christmas Gift Guide for 2020 is out!

121992734_2770791506576786_4996465706607765199_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=O-Dog9z-JC4AX8sW0bB&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=18203aa6b69295727b83be876046ec61&oe=5FB11FB6

Whilst this is good did they not say they were ending the catalogue (or maybe its just the main one). People at the time sayng Christmas wouldn't be the same without the Argos catalogue...

Whilst this is good did they not say they were ending the catalogue (or maybe its just the main one). People at the time sayng Christmas wouldn't be the same without the Argos catalogue...

From what I know. They were always very clear that the Gift Guide would still be out!

• Advertisement

Yeah, it was the main catalogue that fell victim to 2020, sadly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Anybody see Halloween pjs anywhere? Looking for some for my goddaughter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

My little whiskey stones first part of my husbands present arrived yesterday morning. Also got some window stickers I’d genuinely forgotten I even ordered.

I found a thread in the cooking club for black pudding and apple puff pastries I’m considering for brunch on Christmas Day. We usually do sautéed apple and black putting on a salad bed so would be a different twist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

kitten_k wrote: »
    Anybody see Halloween pjs anywhere? Looking for some for my goddaughter

They have some on Amazon.co.uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,560 ✭✭✭✭L1011

My little whiskey stones

Not to be a downer, but these really don't work... the main cooling effect of ice is the endothermic melting reaction not being in the presence of something cold.

Basically, don't be disheartened if they don't get used much after Christmas. I have some and they were used once.

Did a count of what Christmas cards I have here and I'm a few short for this years batch. Anyone have suggestions for Irish charity cards that are not explicitly religious? What I have left here are RNLI and Cancer Society

• Advertisement

From October 19th 2020, it will be free for customers to send mail to residents in Care Facilities across Ireland until January 31st 2021.

Customers can send letters, large envelopes, packets up to 2KG for free, by writing FREEPOST above the Address. Items will be checked to ensure that the recipient address is addressed to a nursing home or Residential Facility.

https://www.anpost.com/Community/Free-postage-to-Care-Homes

Posy wrote: »
    From October 19th 2020, it will be free for customers to send mail to residents in Care Facilities across Ireland until January 31st 2021.

Customers can send letters, large envelopes, packets up to 2KG for free, by writing FREEPOST above the Address. Items will be checked to ensure that the recipient address is addressed to a nursing home or Residential Facility.

This actually has me tearing up! What a fantastic idea :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,144 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

L1011 wrote: »
    Did a count of what Christmas cards I have here and I'm a few short for this years batch. Anyone have suggestions for Irish charity cards that are not explicitly religious? What I have left here are RNLI and Cancer Society

I get mine from the Irish motor neurone disease association. Think their website is www.imnda.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

They said months ago that all cocooners and old folk can send mail anywhere in Ireland free. Tp help us stay in touch .. It has been and is such a help. An Post is brilliant

My cocoon doors are once again blessedly sealed!

Mirrorwall14 I got Irish cancer society cards in Dunnes yesterday cute Christmassy home scenes, Santa, Robins, I also order cards from Barnardos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭matchthis

Christmas tree train sets for sale in Homestore and picked up Christmas Eve candle for 17.99 as its fragrance of the month

M50 Christmas shop announced on Facebook fully open now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭PaulT21

matchthis wrote: »
    Christmas tree train sets for sale in Homestore and picked up Christmas Eve candle for 17.99 as its fragrance of the month

Level 4 here in Donegal and many sections of local Homestore are screened off, especially the non essentials like Christmas Trees and Candles :( My advice is to anyone looking for anything in those stores in Level 3 areas, that they should get it quickly, as I fear we will all be moving up a level soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭matchthis

None of the stuff is live online yet for Christmas, so hopefully it will be after Halloween. In saying that, hopefully what will happen will be not for long and will have a lasting effect. A great part of Christmas is shopping for new decorations. Might have to make a trip to the range in the morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭PaulT21

PaulT21 wrote: »
    Level 4 here in Donegal and many sections of local Homestore are screened off, especially the non essentials like Christmas Trees and Candles :( My advice is to anyone looking for anything in those stores in Level 3 areas, that they should get it quickly, as I fear we will all be moving up a level soon.

Just for clarity, I am not advocating Panic Buying or suggestting a Doomsday scenario. Its just a heads up on what I found yesterday when I went to my local Homestore. Cheers:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Very busy in Liffey Valley yesterday and Fonthill Retail Park was extremely busy earlier. Quote a queue into Homestore. People picking up what they can ahead of what I assume will be a Level 4 announcement tomorrow :(

This is our last week before the clock go back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,910 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Nervous wait now for wtf restrictions will come into play next week

Something we thought would never happen is very close to becoming a reality. No pubs (food or drink), no parties, limit shopping among others for December/christmas. This is a killer in terms of mental health and the government have to take some consideration for that. A few pints at christmas is good for the mind

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Heroditas wrote: »
    Very busy in Liffey Valley yesterday and Fonthill Retail Park was extremely busy earlier. Quote a queue into Homestore. People picking up what they can ahead of what I assume will be a Level 4 announcement tomorrow :(

Homestore and more Shops are still open in level 4 though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,488 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Just back from the Blanchardstown SC (we were up ordering some new carpets for the stairs & landings) and the queue's outside the shops were as bad as I've seen them when the shops started to reopen. WIth levels 4 or 5 to be announced tomorrow a lot of people are out panic buying for definite. With Christmas less than 10 weeks away closing all the shops now will do untold damage to the economy, dreading to see the mess that will be left to clean up after all this. I just pray we manage to keep our own firm as a going concern as work is definitely drying up due to covid.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Loughc wrote: »

Correct. With non essential areas closed off, at least they were last time during the reopening phases.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Non-essential retail closes at level 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

The great thing is that so many small Irish businesses got their online stores up and running when we initially went into lockdown so it has never been easier to support them when their physcial shops are closed.

If they close non essential retail until December, I can't even begin to imagine the mayhem that will hit once they reopen! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

If they close non essential retail until December, I can't even begin to imagine the mayhem that will hit once they reopen! :eek:

It will be madness! Like when Krispy Kreme opened, but on steroids!

Sending half the population out to shop in a 3 week period instead of a 10 week period? Sure what could possibly go wrong?

All messing aside, it will be carnage.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

wes wrote: »
    Non-essential retail closes at level 4.

Homestore and more was deemed to be essential last time as they sold items that could be used for repairs. Certain items were certainly blocked off but you could still go in.

Click and collect is still allowed even for non essential stores. That’s key to surviving this. Than and online ordering.

Click and collect is still allowed even for non essential stores.

I wasn't aware of this at all. Might help a little.

DvB wrote: »
    I wasn't aware of this at all. Might help a little.

On the GOV.ie website,
    Other retailers may open for click and collect, where it can be appropriately managed within public health guidelines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭Pistachio19

matchthis wrote: »

We had the train set a few years ago. Youngest managed to break it after a few days. Went to visit relatives the following year and they had one. Youngest managed to break it within a few minutes. Every year we've seen them since we quickly walk past them if he's with us :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

I work in retail and since the level 3 measures were introduced the shopping centre was a complete ghost town, actually eerily quiet. Yesterday was the first good day we had in forever. CovID is killing the retail sector. Hopefully the 6 weeks closure will push people to get out and spend when we open back up and right before Xmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭TK Lemon

I work in retail in a shopping centre too and the centre is packed most days! Like the days leading up to Christmas. :P

I started the first of my Christmas shopping last night on Amazon. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

I started my Mum's sweets and biscuit shopping a couple of weeks ago, had to break it to her that our annual outing to Blanchardstown to get the rest of her gifty shopping done won't happen this yrar.

My neighbour is 98 and lives on her own.... the thought of her having to sit down to Christmas dinner on her own just breaks my heart. It infuriates me that there's people who just don't want go give up their bag of cans/ bottle of wine on a Saturday night to help the rest of us out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,560 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If we hit L4 or L5; The Range never closed off any of their non-essential sections but you had to buy cleaning products or pet food to be allowed buy anything - at least in my local branch. Not sure if actual food counted but they basically only sell biscuits and soft drinks anyway.

We've fish and some robins in the garden so we're in there for pet food anyway; which I used to get a few hardware and homeware bits and pieces and will definitely use for Christmas bits and pieces if I have to.

In L4, Woodies will be open with their Christmas range likely not blocked off either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement