Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

These new fangled car bingo's are some craic.

You could be jotting down your card from a mile away.

Online bingo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,776 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

NcdJd wrote: »
    I think i've reached the end of the internet road this evening. Spent the last 20 minutes watching you tube videos of talking parrots. All because of a story on the rte news site of a group of five bad mouthed parrots that had to be seperated from each other over in some zoo in the UK for telling visitors to fq off.

Look up the OffTheRanch youtube poster.

NcdJd wrote: »
    Online bingo?

Local drive in bingo on the soccer pitch.
    It's done over a loud speaker and then anyone who was a full line or house blows the car horn.
    Yes or no questions are also answered via the car horn individually or collectively. :p

Local drive in bingo on the soccer pitch.
    It's done over a loud speaker and then anyone who was a full line or house blows the car horn.
    Yes or no questions are also answered via the car horn individually or collectively. :p

Sounds like a good laugh.

Look up the OffTheRanch youtube poster.

Have done a couple of road trips over in the states over the years, often seen lovely properties advertised for very little money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

One for "Say my name"

I'm watching the British Bake off, and one of the participants is using Edible Charcoal Dough.

Haha this could be good. Looking online at that charcoal dough. Looks to be some new detox craze, if you could call it that. A friend of mine does all sorts of detoxes and juicing regimes. He was mad into the wheat grass at one stage. Now he's down picking up beetroot from me. I always give him the big old ones as i think its a waste of good beetroot if he's just going to bloody juice them. Wouldnt mind anytime I'm out for a few pints with him he goes and orders a big dirty chinese takeaway after the skinfull of pints. Then a couple of days later goes back on his juice detox. Can't make it out.

One for "Say my name"

I'm watching the British Bake off, and one of the participants is using Edible Charcoal Dough.

Just caught the very end of it.
    Was that the coffee one?

Bread is made with charcoal now too. It looks completely abnormal though eating a black bread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Don’t they use it in toothpaste too ??

• Advertisement

American presidential debate was as expected last night. Bickering between two old men.
    Both sides will claim the cane out on top but neither really did.

Probably ageist of me to say maybe they’re both too old to be running for a four year term in such a high profile job.

Could see Trump had a deliberate process to constantly interrupt Biden to try and break his concentration. I’d say in some ways it worked.

Think the presenter needs a button to mute speakers and actually allow the other get a point across.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

_Brian wrote: »
    American presidential debate was as expected last night. Bickering between two old men.

Probably ageist of me to say maybe they’re both too old to be running for a four year term in such a high profile job.

Could see Trump had a deliberate process to constantly interrupt Biden to try and break his concentration. I’d say in some ways it worked.

Think the presenter needs a button to mute speakers and actually allow the other get a point across.

I think they both came out of it badly. I’m amazed at Biden, is this the very best they could find to put up against Trump? No one better available??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Odelay wrote: »
    I’m amazed at Biden, is this the very best they could find to put up against Trump? No one better available??

No one better, younger, and still rich enough .....

I think they both came out of it badly. I’m amazed at Biden, is this the very best they could find to put up against Trump? No one better available??

That’s what I thought.

But then I’d say there are actually very few voters to be swayed by the campaign. Trump voters will vote trump, anti trump voters would vote for anyone put up against trump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

The stocking rate for dairy cows (2 to the hectare) is to be reduced to 1.91 or increased from 85kgs to 89kgs per cow. It is believed that the new rates will come into effect next year.
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/minister-confirms-increase-of-dairy-cow-excretion-figure-574208

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Base price wrote: »
    The stocking rate for dairy cows (2 to the hectare) is to be reduced to 1.91 or increased from 85kgs to 89kgs per cow. It is believed that the new rates will come into effect next year.
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/minister-confirms-increase-of-dairy-cow-excretion-figure-574208

"Minister McConalogue said farmers could comply with limits by reducing stock numbers, exporting slurry or renting extra land."

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,483 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

"Minister McConalogue said farmers could comply with limits by reducing stock numbers, exporting slurry or renting extra land."

Savage agri minister there

Is this significant enough to cause issues for dairy farms ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Liking Yellowstone shown on Rte2
    Anyone know where I could get season 1

Your not looking in the right places no need to buy it it's all on line.i cant link where you can download it from or the ban hammer will be out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

I cant reply to your PM hard knock its saying you do not want PMS or have not it active

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Is this significant enough to cause issues for dairy farms ??

It'll pull more farms in to the derogation net. Max sr in derogation is 250kg, so just above 2.9/ha There are not too many at the max dero level over the whole farm bar those buying in a lot of feed possibly.

Does anyone here have an optical brix meter and do you use it to sample grass?

If so are you finding the higher readings bringing about higher weight gains in cattle or improved milk production or reduced grass intake?

I've finally bit the bullet and ordered one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Reggie. wrote: »
    Savage agri minister there

That's exactly what I was thinking. He may as well have said, "There yer options lads - so suck it up"

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

That's exactly what I was thinking. He may as well have said, "There yer options lads - so suck it up"

Looking more like a puppet minister

Mute Trump - some chance.

My granny had a saying for someone like trump - "up or down, whatever way you jostle with a chimney sweep you will be blackened"

After 4 years of Trump, if they vote him back in there's nothing to be said for Americans.

On that, I don't think they will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

After 4 years of Trump, if they vote him back in there's nothing to be said for Americans.

On that, I don't think they will.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they did vote him back in. They are that stupid and stubborn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

On a dairy farm that fattens dry dairy cows ,will the new rate apply to the dry cows as well .
    A beef farm that fattens dairy cows ,will the new nitrates apply to them as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Doting old man Biden didn't keel over on the stage last night so that's enough for them to declare themselves the winners. Turned on CNN this morning to see what the headbangers on there had to say and I must have heard white supremacist groups ten times in the few minutes I saw. Have they been rioting for months and even taking over parts of a city? Messed up the whole thing. By any metric that matters, Trump has done a good job. Global pandemic has undone the gains made in the ecomony, peace deals that should have been bigger news. We were promised him starting wars, got the opposite. Russia was a lie from the start. Bitter gall all they have is his tax and calling him a racist.

• Advertisement

Gillespy wrote: »
    Doting old man Biden didn't keel over on the stage last night so that's enough for them to declare themselves the winners. Turned on CNN this morning to see what the headbangers on there had to say and I must have heard white supremacist groups ten times in the few minutes I saw. Have they been rioting for months and even taking over parts of a city? Messed up the whole thing. By any metric that matters, Trump has done a good job. Global pandemic has undone the gains made in the ecomony, peace deals that should have been bigger news. We were promised him starting wars, got the opposite. Russia was a lie from the start. Bitter gall all they have is his tax and calling him a racist.

Trump is more popular in america that people here realise

Reggie. wrote: »
    Trump is more popular in america that people here realise

Exactly.
    Even in the actual counted votes He only lost the election By 3 million votes. That’s a tiny amount across the whole country.

I think we will see him do either another term or dispute the results for years as he serves on as president anyway. Either way he’s not leaving office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,851 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Exactly.
    Even in the actual counted votes He only lost the election By 3 million votes. That’s a tiny amount across the whole country.

I think we will see him do either another term or dispute the results for years as he serves on as president anyway. Either way he’s not leaving office.

What age are trump and Biden?

whelan2 wrote: »
    What age are trump and Biden?

Late 70’s the pair. It was like a retirement home standoff over jello 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I wouldn’t be surprised if they did vote him back in. They are that stupid and stubborn.

Lots of Americans, especially the bottom half of society have had it better the last few years than in decades.

There are a lot of people in the modern Democratic party that are far more radical and intolerant than Justin Boyd Barrett and Americans have a right to be fearful.

Danzy wrote: »
    Lots of Americans, especially the bottom half of society have had it better the last few years than in decades.

There are a lot of people in the modern Democratic party that are far more radical and intolerant than Justin Boyd Barrett and Americans have a right to be fearful.

The American and indeed U.K. system has essentially corrupted representation of votes down to two parties forever. This has no system of checks and balance and so large swaths of policy is ignored.
    It maddens ne when I see people giving out about the PR system but at least it allowed other voices be heard and keep pressure on the mainstream parties.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I thought this was very funny, you'll need sound for the full effect.
    https://twitter.com/ciaolivia/status/1311151062267473921?s=19

They should have stuck with the teacher's grading -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Base price wrote:
    https://www.farmersjou...retion-figure-574208

That or you could cut a leg or two off to get down to a 1.91 stocking rate

Just saying ;)

Obama was just about to get tough before his term ended, on China when the perceived opening up of the country to trade didn't result in economic reforms.

https://www.worldpoliticsreview.com/insights/27828/how-a-rising-china-has-remade-global-politics

The next U.S. president faces a military threat from China greater than any other proceeding president to now.
    If footage of some persecution or whatnot in China emerges. A Trump administration might not act militarily. But a Biden administration might feel compelled to.

cute geoge wrote: »
    On a dairy farm that fattens dry dairy cows ,will the new rate apply to the dry cows as well .
    A beef farm that fattens dairy cows ,will the new nitrates apply to them as well
    I assume that dry dairy bred cows for fattening are classified the same as suckler cows, feeding suckler cows or feeding stock over 2yo at 65kgs per year. Maybe someone will come along and confirm it.

• Advertisement

They should have stuck with the teacher's grading -
    It's a real mess at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,851 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

It's not like they didnt have months to sort it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

gozunda wrote: »
    That or you could cut a leg or two off to get down to a 1.91 stocking rate

Just saying ;)

That's a very Italian solution, Gozunda!

When the Milk super levy was introduced, Italian dairy men just ignored it for a few years.
    Then the EU tried to enforce it.
    That didn't really work either, so the EU introduced a slaughter scheme for dairy cows, withcompensation for each cow sent to the factory from the dairy herd.
    Payment was issued for each cow culled, and the proof of culling was the number of ears with the tags attached.
    But a strange thing happened, despite tens of thousands of cows culled, milk delivery to the dairys was rising.

Extensive investigations revealed tens of thousands of one-eared cows milking away on Italian farms...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    That's a very Italian solution, Gozunda!

When the Milk super levy was introduced, Italian dairy men just ignored it for a few years.
    Then the EU tried to enforce it.
    That didn't really work either, so the EU introduced a slaughter scheme for dairy cows, withcompensation for each cow sent to the factory from the dairy herd.
    Payment was issued for each cow culled, and the proof of culling was the number of ears with the tags attached.
    But a strange thing happened, despite tens of thousands of cows culled, milk delivery to the dairys was rising.

Extensive investigations revealed tens of thousands of one-eared cows milking away on Italian farms...

There is a part of me that smiles and sort of admires their chutspaz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Water John wrote: »
    There is a part of me that smiles and sort of admires their chutspaz.

There was something similar with olive trees, they put up fake ones in acre after acre to claim subsidies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

There was something similar with olive trees, they put up fake ones in acre after acre to claim subsidies.

A lot of the Extra Virgin Olive oil hasn't been a virgin for a long time.

I remember reading about that.

Water John wrote: »
    A lot of the Extra Virgin Olive oil hasn't been a virgin for a long time.

The waste from olive oil processing is a major hazard.
    It's something like 80% is waste.

It's a thing that's just not talked about. By the authorities nor the people in the regions. For it would be against the people and against your country.

It's usually dumped on land or into waterways.

And there's a few boardsie's heard that also from the horse's mouth..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭Smegging hell

Are you mixing up Justin Barrett and Richard Boyd Barrett? Because I doubt either will be flattered. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

The waste from olive oil processing is a major hazard.
    It's something like 80% is waste.

It's a thing that's just not talked about. By the authorities nor the people in the regions. For it would be against the people and against your country.

It's usually dumped on land or into waterways.

And there's a few boardsie's heard that also from the horse's mouth..

Not all of it
    https://olivepork.ie

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement