Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭jfh

whelan2 wrote: »
    What do you do with them?

Add to salad

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Have noticed an awful lot of black droppings on the back lawn here over the last week. Would it be from badgers ?
    If it is, is it safe for the kids to be playing out there ?

So after a few late night inspections I have unearthed the nightime crappers. Not badgers or foxes. A pair of hedgehogs last night. One lad rolled up into his defensive ball while the other lad started to make a run for it. They do a fair amount of grunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

This is probably as good a place as any to ask. The old house my great grandfather moved from on our outfarm was knocked a good while back in the 90s. Stones were all buried to one side. Recently unearthed them again to use elsewhere, plus I have notions of using it around my house at some point.
    By chance we came across this one, with initials R.C. on it & a symbol on it. Was one of the pair which held up the breast/hearth stone.
    Now the house is at least early 1800's, my Great Grandfather was born in it in 1880, his parents Bernard & Rose had moved into it after marriage & Rose's parents were in it before that. Before that again was an O'Neill lady and that's as far as we can trace with it.

So would it be Roman Catholic or the stonemason mark? Honestly could root around that old place for hours.

xb0zo8Vl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,202 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I'd be guessing the stonemason, leaving his name.

Water John wrote: »
    I'd be guessing the stonemason, leaving his name.

I was thinking that, just the R.C. part had me wondering! Must check the local records if there's any to be found to see if there's an mention of a mason with those initials.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,520 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

11 year old just made this desert.

Home made icecream
    Home made caramel sauce
    Home made apple crumble cake.

56-DDEBAC-B676-4-DE4-A257-508-CCF756-B9-E.jpg

She wants to be a home economics teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Tileman

Any sign of boards being fixed. This throwing up old pages and threads is so annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

_Brian wrote: »

Home made icecream
    Home made caramel sauce

She’s very talented

• Registered Users Posts: 24,388 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Home made icecream
    Home made caramel sauce

I'd say it was horrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Tileman wrote: »
    Any sign of boards being fixed. This throwing up old pages and threads is so annoying.

I'd say not in the near term, anyway. Boards staff have the same social distancing and essential workers rules to contend with as most other businesses but can carry out a lot of stuff from home still.

Looking at the viewing figures on the COVID-19 forum alone would make you wonder how the rest of the site is able to get anyone at all able to access the forums.

I know the IT guys are working at keeping the site up and are trying to find the glitches that are giving us all the older threads as soon as possible:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Anyone ever hear of quads with sprayers being hired out on a weekly basis? Would like to hire one out and do the whole farm in obe shot if i could. Akso whats the kegalities of quads on roads here?

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 29,244 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Home made icecream
    Home made caramel sauce

Lovely job. This time off school is great. Younger 2 spent today tidying the house. They did a great job. I got them a chinese tonight as a treat , first since the lockdown.

Does anyone use the Repidose bolus?

Just thinking it could be a handy way of doing weanlings over the summer & autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

This is probably as good a place as any to ask. The old house my great grandfather moved from on our outfarm was knocked a good while back in the 90s. Stones were all buried to one side. Recently unearthed them again to use elsewhere, plus I have notions of using it around my house at some point.
    By chance we came across this one, with initials R.C. on it & a symbol on it. Was one of the pair which held up the breast/hearth stone.
    Now the house is at least early 1800's, my Great Grandfather was born in it in 1880, his parents Bernard & Rose had moved into it after marriage & Rose's parents were in it before that. Before that again was an O'Neill lady and that's as far as we can trace with it.

So would it be Roman Catholic or the stonemason mark? Honestly could root around that old place for hours.

xb0zo8Vl.jpg

I love that kind of thing. It's fascinating. Always say I must make the time to get full history of the home house. Its only in the family since 1930s. Was once twice the size but seemingly reduced to cut back on the taxes. Also the back of the house was the front until the head race was built for the Shannon Scheme and Aednacrusha power station.

Lovely job. This time off school is great. Younger 2 spent today tidying the house. They did a great job. I got them a chinese tonight as a treat , first since the lockdown.

There’s a perspective to how you spend your time. We’re never idle and yet we’ve only watched two Movies since the lockdown started.

Was talking to sister the other day and she asked me was I struggling to put in my days at home with the kids. Truth is I’d be happy at home with them permanently, I still have a list of indoors jobs I haven’t looked at because the weather was so good and we were out enjoying it. My neice is home from college and totally bored.

Some people just lack imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,244 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

We had rain most of the day today. First day they weren't out most of the day. They went for a walk this evening though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭visatorro

Just thinking it could be a handy way of doing weanlings over the summer & autumn.

Does anyone use the Repidose bolus?

That the stuff for worm's. Someone said their vet doesn't like it because the animal doesn't build up immunity.

visatorro wrote: »
    That the stuff for worm's. Someone said their vet doesn't like it because the animal doesn't build up immunity.

Yea that's the one. I was thinking myself it sounded a bit odd as surely you could be under or overdosing.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

We had rain most of the day today. First day they weren't out most of the day. They went for a walk this evening though.

I can't believe I'm saying this after the last 6 months but, I'd love a drop of rain here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

Why does my phone always send me to the oldest pages on boards? I have to refresh a few times to get the newest page. Seriously annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

satstheway wrote: »
    Why does my phone always send me to the oldest pages on boards? I have to refresh a few times to get the newest page. Seriously annoying.

Happens to everyone, it seems.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Yea that's the one. I was thinking myself it sounded a bit odd as surely you could be under or overdosing.

Our vet says only dose when symptoms are visible. That allows exposure and so building immunity.

Our vet says only dose when symptoms are visible. That allows exposure and so building immunity.

That's what we've been doing- so only dosing when a cough starts or loose dung. Guess i'll stick with what works!

Sold the bull this morning, luck of the draw, stuck him on DD Saturday evening, man rang me within 20mins of it going up & after brief discussion said he'd take him & be up today for him. Gone off there at 9.30, bank transfer & online work done. Tis a great job when it works well like that!!
    Now have 340m of fencing to do on the outfarm where the cattle broke out :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Does anyone know how to change a username on here?. Im moved home 3 years and think ive outgrown the name at this stage lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Does anyone know how to change a username on here?. Im moved home 3 years and think ive outgrown the name at this stage lol

You'll have to subscribe, the minimum is a one month subscription for 5 euro, iirc and you can request a name change in the Name Change forum in the Subscriber forums.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1785

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Im off the fags over a year now too, could do with chsnging aswell.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭straight

Wouldn't you just love one now though

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Close account, reregister. You'll lose all your history, PMs, etc.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Tileman

I can’t find the glas thread. Last week it was announced by minister creed that the glas payment were to be paid last week. Any one get paid? Haven’t received any yet and it’s not coming up on amounts due .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement