Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

Imagine Seamus ORourke as John Dutton

Ive a dodgubox and it's on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,252 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Eir..We're all working from home to protect our workers and our customers from the Covid.
    Just report any faults online where your report will not be logged in over 5 days. Then call us on our phone number so you can wait 45 minutes to be answered by someone with broken English where eventually you may be told your fault has been logged in and to check your page on the website only to see that the fault has not been logged in.

Virtual telephone pole and virtual phone and broadband line for me so..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Bedding plants?:confused:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »

Is to continue and more lucrative.
    Think the stuff for cattle was just using up stockpiles that were for the boilers.

It'd be bad PR if Mary was on the liveline complaining about no potting compost available for the hanging baskets. Imagine the depression.

Today's announcement means some in farming and others at the desks can beat their chests and say well done.
    It really only became a thing anyway from BnM when there was surplus stock in the last few years.

BnM is currently fundraising €1.6bn for climate action measures.

Money is in the climate game...with appropriate PR.

• Advertisement

blue5000 wrote: »

Probably that too but they're not supplying animal bedding any more according to that article. It's not paywalled, for me anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Probably that too but they're not supplying animal bedding any more according to that article. It's not paywalled, for me anyway?

Peat for animal bedding. Nothing said about horticulture / mushroom growing mediums yet.

NcdJd wrote: »
    Peat for animal bedding. Nothing said about horticulture / mushroom growing mediums yet.

I'd say that can't be far away either, tbh. Is there any research done on any other mediums for bedding plants, I wonder?

I'd say that can't be far away either, tbh. Is there any research done on any other mediums for bedding plants, I wonder?

Nothing about the peat briquette and fuel division either.

Today's announcement was to get money over the line from the cattle haters.

There is research ongoing but more dilution of peat with other materials such as compost etc. It's going to be very hard to replace it. There's some info here. Read it last year but haven't heard anything since. Problem with the likes of compost is that you don't know what's in it. Its not consistant ph or nutrient wise whearas peat has a consistent ph and does not contain high levels of nutrients.

Going to be very hard to replace it, peat is a perfect growing medium.

https://www.chg.gov.ie/app/uploads/2019/10/correct-english-peat-in-horticulture.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Is it peat that's commonly used now in broiler houses? Would be alot of it used in ayear around the country

These new fangled car bingo's are some craic.

You could be jotting down your card from a mile away.

I think i've reached the end of the internet road this evening. Spent the last 20 minutes watching you tube videos of talking parrots. All because of a story on the rte news site of a group of five bad mouthed parrots that had to be seperated from each other over in some zoo in the UK for telling visitors to fq off.

These new fangled car bingo's are some craic.

You could be jotting down your card from a mile away.

Online bingo?

I think i've reached the end of the internet road this evening. Spent the last 20 minutes watching you tube videos of talking parrots. All because of a story on the rte news site of a group of five bad mouthed parrots that had to be seperated from each other over in some zoo in the UK for telling visitors to fq off.

Look up the OffTheRanch youtube poster.

Online bingo?

Local drive in bingo on the soccer pitch.
    It's done over a loud speaker and then anyone who was a full line or house blows the car horn.
    Yes or no questions are also answered via the car horn individually or collectively. :p

Local drive in bingo on the soccer pitch.
    It's done over a loud speaker and then anyone who was a full line or house blows the car horn.
    Yes or no questions are also answered via the car horn individually or collectively. :p

Sounds like a good laugh.

Look up the OffTheRanch youtube poster.

Have done a couple of road trips over in the states over the years, often seen lovely properties advertised for very little money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

One for "Say my name"

I'm watching the British Bake off, and one of the participants is using Edible Charcoal Dough.

Haha this could be good. Looking online at that charcoal dough. Looks to be some new detox craze, if you could call it that. A friend of mine does all sorts of detoxes and juicing regimes. He was mad into the wheat grass at one stage. Now he's down picking up beetroot from me. I always give him the big old ones as i think its a waste of good beetroot if he's just going to bloody juice them. Wouldnt mind anytime I'm out for a few pints with him he goes and orders a big dirty chinese takeaway after the skinfull of pints. Then a couple of days later goes back on his juice detox. Can't make it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

One for "Say my name"

I'm watching the British Bake off, and one of the participants is using Edible Charcoal Dough.

Just caught the very end of it.
    Was that the coffee one?

Bread is made with charcoal now too. It looks completely abnormal though eating a black bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,522 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Don’t they use it in toothpaste too ??

American presidential debate was as expected last night. Bickering between two old men.
    Both sides will claim the cane out on top but neither really did.

Probably ageist of me to say maybe they’re both too old to be running for a four year term in such a high profile job.

Could see Trump had a deliberate process to constantly interrupt Biden to try and break his concentration. I’d say in some ways it worked.

Think the presenter needs a button to mute speakers and actually allow the other get a point across.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Odelay

_Brian wrote: »
    American presidential debate was as expected last night. Bickering between two old men.
    Both sides will claim the cane out on top but neither really did.

Probably ageist of me to say maybe they’re both too old to be running for a four year term in such a high profile job.

Could see Trump had a deliberate process to constantly interrupt Biden to try and break his concentration. I’d say in some ways it worked.

Think the presenter needs a button to mute speakers and actually allow the other get a point across.

I think they both came out of it badly. I’m amazed at Biden, is this the very best they could find to put up against Trump? No one better available??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Odelay wrote: »
    I’m amazed at Biden, is this the very best they could find to put up against Trump? No one better available??

No one better, younger, and still rich enough .....

Odelay wrote: »
    I think they both came out of it badly. I’m amazed at Biden, is this the very best they could find to put up against Trump? No one better available??

That’s what I thought.

But then I’d say there are actually very few voters to be swayed by the campaign. Trump voters will vote trump, anti trump voters would vote for anyone put up against trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,186 ✭✭✭✭Base price

The stocking rate for dairy cows (2 to the hectare) is to be reduced to 1.91 or increased from 85kgs to 89kgs per cow. It is believed that the new rates will come into effect next year.
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/minister-confirms-increase-of-dairy-cow-excretion-figure-574208

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Base price wrote: »
    The stocking rate for dairy cows (2 to the hectare) is to be reduced to 1.91 or increased from 85kgs to 89kgs per cow. It is believed that the new rates will come into effect next year.
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/minister-confirms-increase-of-dairy-cow-excretion-figure-574208

"Minister McConalogue said farmers could comply with limits by reducing stock numbers, exporting slurry or renting extra land."

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,388 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

"Minister McConalogue said farmers could comply with limits by reducing stock numbers, exporting slurry or renting extra land."

Savage agri minister there

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement