Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Detailing chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I've been using a CarPro Fat Boa drying towel for a while now and I must say that I find it a LOT better than the Microfiber Madness Dry-me-Crazy.

It has no problem handling two motorhomes back to back where the Dry-me-Crazy wouldn't quite cope with the two motorhomes back to back.

The Dry-me-Crazy is still an excellent drying towel mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭statto25

Any recommendations for a compound/polish to remove light scratches and swirls? I'm using Meguires Ultimate with an orange pad but not finding it great.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

statto25 wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a compound/polish to remove light scratches and swirls? I'm using Meguires Ultimate with an orange pad but not finding it great.

What car?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭statto25

vectra wrote: »
    What car?

F10 BMW

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Anyone any recommendations for a steam cleaner ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

statto25 wrote: »
    F10 BMW

Scholl S20 is always a safe bet.

Scholl S20 is always a safe bet.

Yes, and S30+ to finish.

OR
    Have a look and a read about the Zvizzer range.
    Their one step gets good reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭chalky_ie

I've read lots of good stuff about Perfect Finish for a 1 step: https://cullencarcareshop.ie/product/sonax-profiline-perfect-finish-compound-250ml/

What do people think of this as a beginner kit for a 1 step polish?

Screen-Shot-2020-09-30-at-12-24-02.png

3" backing plate gives me some flexibility for tighter spaces, and I went for those pads as they are the only company doing pads that fit both back plates that I could see, it keeps the pads consistent all over the car, and they are supposed to be good. I'd be using Sonax Perfect Finish with it. Am I missing anything? Will 1 pad do a whole car?

Can you fit a smaller backing plate on a V2?

As for Pads,
    My personal go to are Hex logic pads. Especially the green.

• Advertisement

According to the description of the 3" backing plate it fits the DAS-6 V2, so I hope so! I wanted to get the Hex Logic pads as I've seen them used in a number of videos, but they don't do them smaller than 4" I think. My thinking is I'll definitely need something smaller than a 5" in certain places on a car, but I suppose there isn't much difference between a 3.5" and a 4" pad really, maybe I'll get the Chemical Guys ones instead. Do you find the green pads remove enough swirls etc. in a 1 step?

conor-w wrote: »
    According to the description of the 3" backing plate it fits the DAS-6 V2, so I hope so! I wanted to get the Hex Logic pads as I've seen them used in a number of videos, but they don't do them smaller than 4" I think. My thinking is I'll definitely need something smaller than a 5" in certain places on a car, but I suppose there isn't much difference between a 3.5" and a 4" pad really, maybe I'll get the Chemical Guys ones instead. Do you find the green pads remove enough swirls etc. in a 1 step?

Depends on the paint hardness and damage to be removed, but the hex pads are really great.
    I use 4".

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I did a deep dive into the shed today, and rooted out my collinite 845. I warmed it up, used some quick detailler on the bonnet, waited an hour or so, and gave it a light coat. Waited about 10 or 15 minutes, and wiped off. I think I need better microfiber towels, but it came off easily enough.

WisojZh.jpg

I only did the bonnet, and the wings actually. Wanted to see if I noticed a difference. Here's the boot for comparison.

OyBDohW.jpg

Boot only has the Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic spray wax on. Can't say I see much of a difference, and the ease of the spray makes me doubt I'll be using liquid waxes any time soon! Supposed the beads are a fair bit tighter on the bonnet.

Going to pick up some of that turtle wax sealant spray that I've been hearing so much about, and the ice spray wax to go with it. Supposed to be a good combo, and better than the Meguiars.

MarkR wrote: »
    Can't say I see much of a difference, and the ease of the spray makes me doubt I'll be using liquid waxes any time soon!

The new sealant sprays are so good and easy to use with less chance of abrasion than wipe on/wipe off waxes, I can't see why anyone still uses them.

Finish the car off with 845, then just maintain with the spray of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Are there any glass coatings for a windscreen that won't cause any judder like rain-X apparently does? Was reading old threads about glass coatings. Never used any myself

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I've used Soft99 and Gtechniq and never had any kind of juddering

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Gtechniq G1 can cause juddering for a short while after application. I'm not sure about G5 as I've only ever used it on shower doors.

Are there any glass coatings for a windscreen that won't cause any judder like rain-X apparently does? Was reading old threads about glass coatings. Never used any myself

Angelwax H2go

Saw a video of h2go it does look very good I think I'll go with that one thanks

• Advertisement

Saw a video of h2go it does look very good I think I'll go with that one thanks

Clean the wiper blades and do them also.

yep just going to put new blades on thanks, don't know what's on it at the moment but they're streaking and leaving a film of water so they've to go.

is any glass polishing by hand worth it or only with a DA never ended up buying one earlier in the year but will probably end up with one before the years out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Gtechnic G1 on my old 535d. No juddering and I didn't use a polisher on the windscreen.

yep just going to put new blades on thanks, don't know what's on it at the moment but they're streaking and leaving a film of water so they've to go.

is any glass polishing by hand worth it or only with a DA never ended up buying one earlier in the year but will probably end up with one before the years out

New wipers won't necessarily stop streaking as the streaking comes from bonded contaminants on the glass.

Use Gtechniq G6 or CarPro CeriGlass by hand with a foam applicator and it'll remove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭traco

Reading the other thread about ceramic coasting over swirls and saw Vectra mention that without a PDG gauge its very hard to know if you are removing the ceramic or the lacquer.

That got me wondering if there is any way to know if a car had been previously coated? Asking as I want to tackle the paint on the weekended at some point as its has a lot of swirls. Given the car it may have been treated in its history but I have no idea so now I have something else to worry about. Just thought I'd ask as this will be my first dip into paint correction if I ever get around to it that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Lads the Karcher K4 Compact that I bought a few months ago has being having a momentary loss of power for a second when I've the trigger pressed, like a surge or pulsing.

Only happens if I have is set to high pressure, it doesn't happen when I'm snow foaming or I have the nozzle adjusted to low pressue.

It's still usable but a bit annoying. Any ideas ?

Lads the Karcher K4 Compact that I bought a few months ago has being having a momentary loss of power for a second when I've the trigger pressed, like a surge or pulsing.

Only happens if I have is set to high pressure, it doesn't happen when I'm snow foaming or I have the nozzle adjusted to low pressue.

It's still usable but a bit annoying. Any ideas ?

Usually means water starvation, is your hose long or kinked?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Not really no. I'd say the hose is about 15m. Only doing it the last 3 or so washes. I've had it since April.

Is there a pool of water under the washer? It could be that an internal hose/pipe has dislodged.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Anyone looking for a possible bargain, it looks like car gods and mcclaren cleaning stuff is about half price in halfords.

https://www.halfords.ie/search?q=car+gods
    https://www.halfords.ie/motoring/car-cleaning/?prefn1=brandname&prefv1=McLaren

Advertisement