Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Detailing chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Does anyone use Garage Therapy products? Seem to get a lot of high praise from detailing Youtubers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

My car got a rough going over by the rats with wings. A serious going over. Almost as if someone was throwing small lumps of cement onto the roof - same colour and virtually the same consistency. Have never seen bird chite like it before.

Anyway have small area of mild scratches from one particularly stubborn dropping; can anyone recommend a good product for removing the scratches and also a good product for tackling this disgusting mess should it happen again (which it will).

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭SomeGuyCalledMi

armaghlad wrote: »
    My car got a rough going over by the rats with wings. A serious going over. Almost as if someone was throwing small lumps of cement onto the roof - same colour and virtually the same consistency. Have never seen bird chite like it before.

Anyway have small area of mild scratches from one particularly stubborn dropping; can anyone recommend a good product for removing the scratches and also a good product for tackling this disgusting mess should it happen again (which it will).
    Having a sealant on there or wax will make the poops easier to remove.
    For the odd small bird poop I use Adam's Detail spray. Spray on and let it soak for a few minutes while covered with a microfiber. Then gently wipe. Never scrub.
    For a major attack which happens to me when I visit my parents I will wait until evening time and give it the foam gun with bilt hamber auto foam. It gets most of it off.

For polishing out the scratches you have a whole world of choice. But I recently used turtle wax ceramic polish and wax and was very impressed. I picked up a da polisher in argos for 60 euros and its really good. I got some pads and a smaller backing plate on ebay. I'm thinking of making a YouTube video I'm so impressed with myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

Won a free car wash on the CircleK game this morning. Are these still advised against? They seem to have advanced a lot in recent years and at least look they aren't going to rip the paint off the car anymore. Might try and swap it for something else if they're still considered crap :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Danger781 wrote: »
    Won a free car wash on the CircleK game this morning. Are these still advised against? They seem to have advanced a lot in recent years and at least look they aren't going to rip the paint off the car anymore. Might try and swap it for something else if they're still considered crap :D

Yeah I wouldn't be first in line to use them to be honest. More harm than good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

Yeah I wouldn't be first in line to use them to be honest. More harm than good

Thanks, thought as much.

Swapped for a Yorkie :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭consulatory

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Might be of interest to someone

Screenshot-20200716-211233-Instagram.jpg

Ordered 2 towels, load of microfibres cloths, waxing pads, wash mitt & the clay mitt.

Note to future self: never buy from wo-wo again.
    Very bad quality. Towels were washed & dried before first use. These towels are supposed to drying towels yet they shed fibres like no other.

The microfibre cloths have a tag that impossible to detach from cloth without ripping pu the cloth threads.

Even at 80% off, I still feel ripped off.

I don't think I'm gonna risk using either the wash mitt or clay mitt given how bad for my car the other things have been. The waxing pads were alright.

Shoddy, shoddy, shoddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Ordered 2 towels, load of microfibres cloths, waxing pads, wash mitt & the clay mitt.

Note to future self: never buy from wo-wo again.
    Very bad quality. Towels were washed & dried before first use. These towels are supposed to drying towels yet they shed fibres like no other.

The microfibre cloths have a tag that impossible to detach from cloth without ripping pu the cloth threads.

Even at 80% off, I still feel ripped off.

I don't think I'm gonna risk using either the wash mitt or clay mitt given how bad for my car the other things have been. The waxing pads were alright.

Shoddy, shoddy, shoddy.

Isn't that one of the reasons we wash them prior to use?

As for the label?
    This hasn't bothered me, just fold them in four keeping the tag tucked up inside and just be careful as you go.

The wash mitt looks identical to my Incredimitt which is serving me well after possibly 7 years.

You must be used to very expensive mf cloths etc if you think these have ripped you off at 80% reduction in cost.

vectra wrote: »
    Isn't that one of the reasons we wash them prior to use?

As for the label?
    This hasn't bothered me, just fold them in four keeping the tag tucked up inside and just be careful as you go.

The wash mitt looks identical to my Incredimitt which is serving me well after possibly 7 years.

You must be used to very expensive mf cloths etc if you think these have ripped you off at 80% reduction in cost.

The towels are still shedding even after 2/3 washes.

The microfibres clothes I previously bought were ~€10 for 10 from amazon (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004SH3SDM/). The WoWo cloths aren't color sealed, have very short pile.

Not much point in having cheap stuff if they don't do as they're intended to.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

For the label on the MFs, use a scissors (preferably a small nail scissors) and cut them off as close to the pile as you can.

• Advertisement

Very :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,307 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

A thing of beauty :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

What’s that now? That’s pretty cool

Nigzcurran wrote: »

Witchcraft!

Nigzcurran wrote: »

A car with ceramic coating and sealant on the paint along with lime-free water and a car dryer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Hebegeebee

A car with ceramic coating and sealant on the paint along with lime-free water and a car dryer :D

One word; bliss!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,307 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Brian at Spirit Detailing is closing down as posted on his FB page :(

I’m sorry to hear that, I personally don’t know Brian, I’ve never had any work done by him but I have seen his work and it was first class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Saw that alright. Sad as he was meant to be the best in Ireland. Who would be the next best after him to go to now?

• Advertisement

Saw that alright. Sad as he was meant to be the best in Ireland. Who would be the next best after him to go to now?

Depends on what part of the country you are from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Larry kehoe in Wexford is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,696 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Larry kehoe in Wexford is excellent.

Was going to say

I used to goto Larry a lot years ago

He is a gent with it .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

vectra wrote: »
    Depends on what part of the country you are from.

Dublin.

For the label on the MFs, use a scissors (preferably a small nail scissors) and cut them off as close to the pile as you can.

Yup, had tried that. Ended up getting 10 edgeless from Slims Detailing. Have ordered with them for the last 3 orders and I much prefer them over in2detailing(with their £20 shipping to ROI compared to 7.50 with Slims.)

in2detailing was so highly recommended on detailingworld but i think they're uselss compared to slims. only good for the das8 (the 3" backing 'plate' that comes with it is fairly crap)

[& yes, i have tried irish sellers in past and was left sorely disappointed with service/delivery & range]

Yup, had tried that. Ended up getting 10 edgeless from Slims Detailing. Have ordered with them for the last 3 orders and I much prefer them over in2detailing(with their £20 shipping to ROI compared to 7.50 with Slims.)

in2detailing was so highly recommended on detailingworld but i think they're uselss compared to slims. only good for the das8 (the 3" backing 'plate' that comes with it is fairly crap)

[& yes, i have tried irish sellers in past and was left sorely disappointed with service/delivery & range]

Slims haven't got the best reputation going by the threads you'd read on detailing world. In2detailing is highly praised and rightly so from by experience from using them

Slims haven't got the best reputation going by the threads you'd read on detailing world. In2detailing is highly praised and rightly so from by experience from using them

I haven’t used In2Detailing so can’t comment on them but I have used Slims on a number of occasions and I’ve always found them very good, never any problems.

Mind you I’ve used Irish sellers too and never had a problem there either, maybe I’m just lucky.

I've used them 4 times over the past few months. Every time - order shipped picked, packed and shipped early the next day using DPD and is in my hands within 48 hours.

Needed to make an amendment to order but wasn't worth paying shipping again (amendment was only tenner or so)- range them up - took the order and added it in.

in2detailing - i've ordered off once, emailed them twice (before about query - which is how i ended up using slims cos in2detailing never got back to me) & after when something they sold me broke- ****ers never got back to me about that either.

and also again, 7.50shipping to ROI for slims, £20 to ROI for in2detailing.

slims also has wider range and a _much_better website.

as for the irish ones i've tried - ordered online - get a call that it's not in stock, missing items from shipment, switched items in shipment and takes about 5 working days to get in hand. and unbelievably even though i gave them my full correct address & eircode, they still managed to label the shpiment to send it across the country to the wrong county(which luckily anpost after a week tracked it down).it's amateur hour for the micks when it comes to retail i'm afraid.

not to mention the ol' extra irish markup of a few euro on every item.

as for the irish ones i've tried - ordered online - get a call that it's not in stock, missing items from shipment, switched items in shipment and takes about 5 working days to get in hand. and unbelievably even though i gave them my full correct address & eircode, they still managed to label the shpiment to send it across the country to the wrong county(which luckily anpost after a week tracked it down).it's amateur hour for the micks when it comes to retail i'm afraid..

That has been my experience with both Autopia and Reflect. Autopia were a disaster with stuff missing/items replaced with something totally different etc. and a VERY long delivery time despite my having paid a good bit for courier). Reflect were nowhere near as bad though, they rang me five minutes after I placed the order to say that clay I ordered was out of stock and if I wanted a replacement or refund. I asked for replacement and I had my order the next day.

Slims are very good. They have a lot of good stuff at great prices (I bought their 3 in 1 crepper and I love it).

D & D Detailing in Cork are excellent though and I buy most of my stuff from them. It's very rare that anything is out of stock and if it is, it's back in a few days later. Great advice aswell from their head detailer David Coleman (Foxhole Norman here on boards).

• Advertisement

Got a couple of Orders from Imaran at In2Detailing, The man was a gent and a pleasure to deal with.

Advertisement