Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Times Ireland/Sunday Times Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭LandonRicketts

Like many here I cancelled because the lack of irish content during the week couldn't justify the 10 euro a month. Irish independent is 7 euro a month for both the app and the epaper 7 days a week. Granted its a 12 month contract otherwise its 14 euro a month

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Like many here I cancelled because the lack of irish content during the week couldn't justify the 10 euro a month. Irish independent is 7 euro a month for both the app and the epaper 7 days a week. Granted its a 12 month contract otherwise its 14 euro a month

Yeah the indo is excellent value alright. You get the herald with that also I believe. The Irish times at 12 euro a month is shocking really (and it's 16 if you want to read it in Epaper format) in comparison when you consider you only get Monday to Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭Glebee

That good alright, such a pity its the Independent though..:D At least you wont be tempted to read the Sunday Indo..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭corks finest

awec wrote: »
    What's their app like? One of the best things about the Times was the quality of the app, didn't just feel like you were reading a website.

App is supposed to be decent,
    Cancelled but was a pain, Macaulay put me on hold, Spencer informed me after I went through the motions that I was actually onto the wrong dept etc,I was blunt and to the point, after being offered the e5 got 6 months- cancellation pls ,gone from the 11th of next month

• Registered Users Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭ablelocks

noticed yesterday that there were no lead articles on Irish news in the epaper app, but didn't pay too much attention. But today, the front page headline is again UK and the next page in the contents is a link - Read all the latest Irish news online.

so they double the price and remove the meagre Irish content to a placeholder at the bottom of their website?

I've been a fan of this app for years, but this is really taking piss...

edit : still worth a fiver a month though, just for the weekend papers alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭jayjbe

ablelocks wrote: »
    noticed yesterday that there were no lead articles on Irish news in the app, but didn't pay too much attention. But today, the front page headline is again UK and the next page in the contents is a link - Read all the latest Irish news online.

so they double the price and remove the meagre Irish content to a placeholder at the bottom of their website?

I’ve still got Irish articles this morning (ios app).

Continued subscription after calling last week. 5mins on phone. Got €5 per month for 12 months. 3 month contract then rolling month.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭eguiney

noticed yesterday that there were no lead articles on Irish news in the app, but didn't pay too much attention. But today, the front page headline is again UK and the next page in the contents is a link - Read all the latest Irish news online.

Before they stopped publishing data, their circulation reports showed that they have many more IOS readers than Android readers (around 10:1), so they probably decided it is no longer worth their while to produce the Irish version.

They recently changed the settings on their Irish smartphone app to allow it to be installed on tablets.

eguiney wrote: »
    Before they stopped publishing data, their circulation reports showed that they have many more IOS readers than Android readers (around 10:1), so they probably decided it is no longer worth their while to produce the Irish version.

They recently changed the settings on their Irish smartphone app to allow it to be installed on tablets.

I'm using ipads for the epaper app - now called Times Classic?....no Irish content visible in the news section, 1 article about kenny in the sports, none in business

Think there may have been some sort of issue yesterday alright on ios. Ireland tab did not come to fore, but its at the end of the top ribbon. back to normal today

Glebee wrote: »
    Think there may have been some sort of issue yesterday alright on ios. Ireland tab did not come to fore, but its at the end of the top ribbon. back to normal today

epaper (white tile, called Times Classic) or the other app (black tile, called The Times)?

• Advertisement

Just had another look on android tablet app, Its white Times classic tile. Your right, no irish content there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

This is the Ireland edition iOS app for both iPhone and iPad. I find this the best for iPad. The iPad specific version isn’t great imo.

https://apps.apple.com/ie/app/the-times-sunday-times/id992097224

• Registered Users Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Glad I checked this thread again. I didn't get any email and called them.

After a long chat with the CS guy (well trained & spiel of the benefits of paying the monthly sub for investigative stories like John Delaney etc he said), I managed to get the standard 6 months at €5 pm.

That will keep me going until November and I will review then.

It's very disappointing that the Times sub we have no longer has the Irish news built into the app. I find myself reading it much less than before. Still only a fiver so I suppose not too bad still. Annoying though

What app are you using? The homepage of mine looks like this. Ireland news every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭NewClareman

What app are you using? The homepage of mine looks like this. Ireland news every day.

I'm on IOS and the homepage, as of today, is the uk version. Page 2 gives a link to the online Irish content, shown in your post. It is outside the app, and is not stored locally.

Glad I checked this thread again. I didn't get any email and called them.

After a long chat with the CS guy (well trained & spiel of the benefits of paying the monthly sub for investigative stories like John Delaney etc he said), I managed to get the standard 6 months at €5 pm.

That will keep me going until November and I will review then.

Got the same offer but didn't take it up,don't read it anymore tbh,if twas the irish times including weekend I'd jump at it

mun1 wrote: »
    Rang to cancel , offered 6 months at 5 per month, but said no.
    Signed up to Irish times for €12 per month and maybe its my age , but its a much better read.

Not your age it's a much better read

eguiney wrote: »

I've it on my tablet for yrs

I'm on IOS and the homepage, as of today, is the uk version. Page 2 gives a link to the online Irish content, shown in your post. It is outside the app, and is not stored locally.

Use this app > https://apps.apple.com/ie/app/the-times-sunday-times/id992097224

That is the Irish one. The homepage is Ireland news.

The app icon is a navy blue. If you’re using the white app icon it is the U.K. version.

• Advertisement

Use this app > https://apps.apple.com/ie/app/the-times-sunday-times/id992097224

That is the Irish one. The homepage is Ireland news.

The app icon is a navy blue. If you’re using the white app icon it is the U.K. version.
    I have the app on my Samsung galaxy tablet. Like someone said it's the British version and then page two there is a link that brings to an external site for the Irish content.
    Very irksome.

I think there may have been two different apps for Android up until recently. Uninstall your app and reinstall the new one and it should give you the version with the Ireland tab. That's what I have on my Android and Apple devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Glebee wrote: »
    I think there may have been two different apps for Android up until recently. Uninstall your app and reinstall the new one and it should give you the version with the Ireland tab. That's what I have on my Android and Apple devices.

I have the Ireland version of the IOS app. It used to have Irish content, but now only the link. I expect that the Sunday version will still have the Ireland content.

I have the Ireland version of the IOS app. It used to have Irish content, but now only the link. I expect that the Sunday version will still have the Ireland content.

Definitely not the same for me. Attached images are what the irish edition iOS app shows for me. The latest version of the app and iOS.

No links to external websites. All irish news content is in the app.

Can you send a screenshot of what you see?

Definitely not the same for me. Attached images are what the irish edition iOS app shows for me. The latest version of the app and iOS.

No links to external websites. All irish news content is in the app.

Can you send a screenshot of what you see?

That looks like the standard app - its the epaper version that has changed.

I contacted the Irish editor about it - he said that there is a new universal app coming in may. But didn’t say whether the epaper version will still be available.

It’s the epaper that is the only reason i subscribe, so if that goes I’m out.

I posted a screenshot in post 369

That looks like the standard app - its the epaper version that has changed.

I contacted the Irish editor about it - he said that there is a new universal app coming in may. But didn’t say whether the epaper version will still be available.

It’s the epaper that is the only reason i subscribe, so if that goes I’m out.

Ah fair enough. I never liked that one. I prefer being able to pick and choose the articles instead of scrolling page by page to find something I want to read. Was happy to see they rolled out that version for iPad a few weeks ago. That’s probably what they mean as the universal app as it’s the same for iPhone and iPad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

So after agreeing with them to keep €5 per month for another 12 months, they go and charge just over €10 this month.

So after agreeing with them to keep €5 per month for another 12 months, they go and charge just over €10 this month.

Glad I jacked in time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭tomfoolery60

I still seem to be on 5 Euro a month, they never contacted me (checked spam). It renewed again automatically this week at 5 Euro. Puzzling.

Advertisement