Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Times Ireland/Sunday Times Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,570 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

any views on above? I stopped the paypal direct debit to revolut card, so it can't be taken out. Is that the end of it or will the Times go looking for failed payments?

Why would you not call them to cancel your sub?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Why would you not call them to cancel your sub?

Only that I read it's a pain arguing with them. So just want to know is it sufficient to do what i did.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Legit_ie

Only that I read it's a pain arguing with them. So just want to know is it sufficient to do what i did.

I wouldn't have thought so as it is a rolling contract month to month and you don't want the hassle of them chasing payment .

You absolutely need to cancel via the mechanisms they offer to do this.

I've just been through the process today. 7 minutes on the phone. Was offered 3 months at current rates (everyone else appears to be offered 6 ). The guy was very well trained though. I could have ended conversation quicker by just saying I don't have time right now - just cancel please.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

This is one of the worst value subscriptions I've ever made. I barely visited the website, the Irish content was rubbish.

When I finally decided to cancel I had to dial a phone number like some sort of savage, no online option. Had to wait 10 mins.

And now they are doubling the price!

quarryman wrote: »
    This is one of the worst value subscriptions I've ever made. I barely visited the website, the Irish content was rubbish.

When I finally decided to cancel I had to dial a phone number like some sort of savage, no online option. Had to wait 10 mins.

Holding for last 10 minutes now. What pissés me off is that they allow you to subscribe online but this nonsense when you want to stop. The very reason I just cancelled the paypal subscription and was going to avoid this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Legit_ie

I found it one of the best over the years until the extras on times+ stopped (eg points for rakunten TV ,.and 2 for 1 cinema - when cinemas were open obviously ), and the reduced local coverage on weekdays .

So off the phone, they had asked whether I was open to any reduction, I said no. Then they said because I was a "long term member" and "didn't get huge value from the site looking at usage", they will keep the sub at €5 per month for a "minimum" of 12 months.

Took it, as I'm ok with that. Having said that, would love to see a real E-Paper of the Sunday edition - is that available?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭ablelocks

So off the phone, they had asked whether I was open to any reduction, I said no. Then they said because I was a "long term member" and "didn't get huge value from the site looking at usage", they will keep the sub at €5 per month for a "minimum" of 12 months.

Took it, as I'm ok with that. Having said that, would love to see a real E-Paper of the Sunday edition - is that available?

if you have the sub, install the app and you'll be able to see last sundays? edit : on an ipad it is excellent, not sure what it's like on android. the only slight negative is that the tv guide from the culture section is not replicated in the e-paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

It's for this reason I held off on subscribing for so long. I don't want to listen to a speil when I want to cancel. I only realised a couple of months back that if you subscribe though the Apple store you can cancel at any time. Also noticed when I checked my subscription details recently that the price is still showing at €5 at the moment. I doubt they'll come chasing you if just stop the payments through Revolut. I'd do it if I was in your position.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,570 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

You have not cancelled so why would you think you wouldn't have to pay?

• Advertisement

You have not cancelled so why would you think you wouldn't have to pay?

Are you referring to the point in time where I had stopped the paypal subscription, and asked whether that was sufficient, or to the point in time that I've confirmed that I am continuing with the subscription?

If it's the former, that was the point of my question. Whether cancelling the paypal subscription would be sufficient to cancel the membership, as opposed to simply preventing them taking the monthy subs.

It's probably technically not cancelled, though I expect most subscriptions would generally just cancel after the failed payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Why did you subscribe in the first place?would you read the physical Times or ST often? I used to buy the ST weekly, €3.20 (or more) so saving having this. And dipped into it during the week as well. I still prefer the physical paper but found it great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭mun1

Got email today re increase. Will ring to cancel tomorrow as i might subscribe to Irish times for €3. Per week instead

• Registered Users Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭corks finest

I'm gonna go down that route

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭franglan

Anyone got the number to call to say "I'm cancelling..."

franglan wrote: »
    Anyone got the number to call to say "I'm cancelling..."

(01) 5360818 or 1800-949687

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Kilteragh

Legit_ie wrote: »
    I found it one of the best over the years until the extras on times+ stopped (eg points for rakunten TV ,.and 2 for 1 cinema - when cinemas were open obviously ), and the reduced local coverage on weekdays .

Don't forget the free Kindle book every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Rang to cancel there. Spoke to a highly trained guy who went on and on about journalism quality etc etc. I gave him a spiel back and he offered 7 months at a 5er a month

• Registered Users Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Glebee

Just rang, gave the usual about Irish daily content being limited and price increase and got 6 month extension on current price. Did not bother haggling to see about getting it for 12 months. Im happy with that and will ring again in 6 months. I find while the Irish content is poor during the week its decent at the weekend and id probably buy the Sunday Times anyway. For 5 euro a months its for nothing really. I find the android version works great and Iphone version is excellent also.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭mun1

Rang to cancel , offered 6 months at 5 per month, but said no.
    Signed up to Irish times for €12 per month and maybe its my age , but its a much better read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭tomfoolery60

I still haven't gotten notification that it's going up to a tenner, very odd.

I still haven't gotten notification that it's going up to a tenner, very odd.

check spam folder?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

mun1 wrote: »
    Signed up to Irish times for €12 per month and maybe its my age , but its a much better read.

I have to respectfully disagree mun1. If you want regurgitated Grauniad articles and insular lifestyle pieces with a particular middle class leftist bias, then the Irish Times is the paper for you. You won't be informed about anything though. Very little real perspective, which is a failing in most of Irish media right now unfortunately.
    The Sunday Times/Times is by far the best paper around in Ireland.Lots of people won't buy it because it's British owned :rolleyes: I used to buy the Sunday Times every week anyway, so I'll be continuing with it. Much more content from around the world too. It's not perfect by any means but it does investigate stories the rest of the more traditional Irish media won't touch.

• Administrators Posts: 53,509 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I cancelled my sub today too, been a subscriber for years but the lack of Irish content just meant I wasn't really reading it any more.

They really do give you the hard sell on cancelling.

It's a shame as their app is very good. Anyone know what the good alternatives are?

awec wrote: »
    I cancelled my sub today too, been a subscriber for years but the lack of Irish content just meant I wasn't really reading it any more.

They really do give you the hard sell on cancelling.

It's a shame as their app is very good. Anyone know what the good alternatives are?

Irish times but it's bloody dear

mun1 wrote: »

No weekend though?

Irish times but it's bloody dear

What's their app like? One of the best things about the Times was the quality of the app, didn't just feel like you were reading a website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

What's their app like? One of the best things about the Times was the quality of the app, didn't just feel like you were reading a website.

It’s not even close to ST in terms of quality but there’s much more Irish content (obviously).I subscribe to both and while doubling the ST sub is a tough call, I think I’ll keep the two of them. Having said that, I subscribe through Apple (to avoid having that call to cancel nonsense) and the price of the sub is still showing as €5. I refuse to subscribe to a service that makes me call to cancel. Most of us have no problem telling a person we don’t want their sales pitch, but there’s lots of vulnerable people out there.

well they have the full E-Paper and mags which are identical to the print.

• Advertisement

jakdublin wrote: »
    It’s not even close to ST in terms of quality but there’s much more Irish content (obviously).I subscribe to both and while doubling the ST sub is a tough call, I think I’ll keep the two of them. Having said that, I subscribe through Apple (to avoid having that call to cancel nonsense) and the price of the sub is still showing as €5. I refuse to subscribe to a service that makes me call to cancel. Most of us have no problem telling a person we don’t want their sales pitch, but there’s lots of vulnerable people out there.

I said I wasn't reading it any more and the email about the price change prompted me to cancel.

"Oh you haven't been reading? There is some great content there, why don't you just keep it for another 6 months and read it?". :rolleyes:

Advertisement