Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP ProLiant MicroServer

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭11214

I'm selling my PowerEdge T20 if anyone is interested, boxed as new, bought with great intensions but never bothered.
    Based in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭CorEire

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just wondering about the RAM again for Gen 8.

Any recommendations or deals?

Looks lively enough: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/proliant-microserver-gen8/CT7168757

There's a page with a lot of recommended modules at
    http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5639-proliant-microserver-gen8-links/ .
    Will be receiving my server today or tomorrow so I might be looking for some ram too if I find I need it.
    My N54L is fine with the original 2gb, although I had to be very careful with resources when setting it up.
    Are you find the 4gb to be too little?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭randombar

CorEire wrote: »
    There's a page with a lot of recommended modules at
    http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5639-proliant-microserver-gen8-links/ .
    Will be receiving my server today or tomorrow so I might be looking for some ram too if I find I need it.
    My N54L is fine with the original 2gb, although I had to be very careful with resources when setting it up.
    Are you find the 4gb to be too little?

Ya not as fast as my old one with the extra ram is, fine for plex etc. but when I'm in messing around it does seem a bit slow. (running ubuntu)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

I lodged my cheque yesterday. Gen8 basic model. Bought from the uk. Got €65 back.
    Took about 3 weeks including christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭durtybit

http://www.ebuyer.com/722189-hpe-proliant-gen8-4gb-ram-microserver-ebuyer-com-819185-421

I see the are going here at a good price, if its shipped to a UK address can I still claim the cash back even though I live in the ROI ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

durtybit wrote: »
    http://www.ebuyer.com/722189-hpe-proliant-gen8-4gb-ram-microserver-ebuyer-com-819185-421

I see the are going here at a good price, if its shipped to a UK address can I still claim the cash back even though I live in the ROI ?
    126£ after cash back,think they were going a bit cheaper in past deals,sub 100 would be ok price,given how old this model is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

durtybit wrote: »

I bought from serversplus.co.uk, and had it shipped to Ireland.
    No messing about with parcel motel or pretending to be in the UK.

I tried claiming the Gb£60 cashback from HP using the form from the serversplus.co.uk website, but they said I needed a different Irish form to get €65 back instead. So you should be able to get one or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭platinums

My old n54l is still running 3 years later, even has 2 months on the warranty.
    Im going to upgrade to the Gen8 so am looking for the best prices.

https://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/hp-proliant-microserver-gen8-819185-421-a1322637.html?t=alle&plz=&va=b&vl=de&hloc=at&hloc=de&hloc=uk&v=e&togglecountry=set#filterform

Found those, but I wonder are MindFactory.de in the Cashack scheme.
    Otherwise from reading above Servers plus look like the cheapest €157.124. servers plus is now £227.94 before cashback

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

platinums wrote: »
    My old n54l is still running 3 years later, even has 2 months on the warranty.
    Im going to upgrade to the Gen8 so am looking for the best prices.

https://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/hp-proliant-microserver-gen8-819185-421-a1322637.html?t=alle&plz=&va=b&vl=de&hloc=at&hloc=de&hloc=uk&v=e&togglecountry=set#filterform

Found those, but I wonder are MindFactory.de in the Cashack scheme.
    Otherwise from reading above Servers plus look like the cheapest €157.124. servers plus is now £227.94 before cashback

Cashback is only for servers bought from approved HP resellers in the UK and Ireland.

stimpson wrote: »
    Cashback is only for servers bought from approved HP resellers in the UK and Ireland.

Correct, i checked with promotions.

Shame too, since Servers plus price has gone up.

• Advertisement

Im going to chance ebuyer, £127 after cashback.

Does anyone know the box packaging dimensions and wieght?

I usually find them on the amazon page for a given item but not this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

They are small enough to fit into a Parcel Motel locker and under the weight cap :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭long_b

They don't shop here or to pm

long_b wrote: »
    They don't shop here or to pm
    Ebuyer dont post to the republic anymore that is true.
    However they do, "Collect+" as delivery method, next day delivery for a £5, has Parcel Motel/Antrim listed as a drop off point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Ebuyer dont post to the republic anymore that is true.
    However they do, "Collect+" as delivery method, next day delivery for a £5, has Parcel Motel/Belfast listed as a drop off point.

Have you had anything delivered this way ?
    I can select parcel motel, but I can't see a way to put in my PM number ?

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

PM Collect + is a returns method, surely? Ebuyer are security conscious to the point of paranoia - can't see them ever shipping to ROI again.

styron wrote: »
    PM Collect + is a returns method, surely? Ebuyer are security conscious to the point of paranoia - can't see them ever shipping to ROI again.

That's what I thought, but I'm really curious if there is a way to get them to ship to ROI :D

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

will56 wrote: »
    That's what I thought, but I'm really curious if there is a way to get them to ship to ROI :D

If a crew availed of those cheap Stena trips ... we could tunnel in over night :pac:

Even 2-3 day shipping to NI is £10 under 3KG and 25p per KG after ... refuse to use Royal Mail "due to insurance purposes".

Got some strange happenings with eBuyer this morning.
    i tried using Parcel Motel as delivery point. Order was instantly cancelled.
    Your order has been cancelled for one of the following reasons:

- You've asked us to cancel your order,
    - An item on your order has been discontinued or is now out of stock.

So i just tried to login there a while later and!
    Sorry, the account you are trying to access is now inactive.
    For further information please contact customer support by following the "Contact Ebuyer" link at the bottom of your screen.

:eek:

Got some strange happenings with eBuyer this morning.
    i tried using Parcel Motel as delivery point. Order was instantly cancelled.

So i just tried to login there a while later and!

:eek:

I got that before, they cancelled a PM order and told me they'd block my account if I tried to order to PM again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭randombar

Anyone know if the following Ram would work in the machine?

http://www.adverts.ie/servers/server-memory-ecc-for-sale-16gb-8gb-4gb-ddr3-ram/8980620

Samsung m393b1k70chd-ch9 pc3-10600 ddr3-1333mhz ecc registered cl9 240-pin dimm dual rank memory module m393b1k70chd-ch9 server memory

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭BeerFarts

http://www.adverts.ie/servers/server-memory-ecc-for-sale-16gb-8gb-4gb-ddr3-ram/8980620

Samsung m393b1k70chd-ch9 pc3-10600 ddr3-1333mhz ecc registered cl9 240-pin dimm dual rank memory module m393b1k70chd-ch9 server memory

That's a registered/buffered RDIMM module, the microserver needs unregistered/unbuffered UDIMM so I don't believe it'll work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Order something from Crucial dedicated to the server. Free delivery and they will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Ok, I want one of these but I'm always the last one to the party.

I have about 5 SATA disks lying about so this seems ideal for a basic NAS. So how do I go about getting one at the best price? And what's this about cashback?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

lawred2 wrote: »
    Ok, I want one of these but I'm always the last one to the party.

I have about 5 SATA disks lying about so this seems ideal for a basic NAS. So how do I go about getting one at the best price? And what's this about cashback?

You will only fit four inside...

grogi wrote: »
    You will only fit four inside...

oh well if I can't get all 5 in then forget about it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

You could but you'd have to mod it. It only fits four in the bays but there are mods to get others on top or on the side.

Have a look around here.

I wasn't being serious

:/

I wouldn't write it off because one drive wouldn't be utilised

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭SickBoy

lawred2 wrote: »
    I wasn't being serious

:/

I wouldn't write it off because one drive wouldn't be utilised

I have one of these that I'm looking to move on as it didn't fit my purpose.
    Its brand new, never really used apart from powering it up and discovering there is no option for RAID5 without adding an additional controller.
    Got it about 3 weeks ago for €250 direct from hpshop.ie
    I'll be putting it on adverts soon.
    PM if interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Gen10 Microserver was released, believe there is another discount system

Advertisement