Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Mav11 wrote: »
    Contributes to the provision and maintenance of road infrastructure. That's the theory!

That was my point, really. As far as I am aware, Motor Tax goes to a central tax pool and is not ringfenced for road maintenance or anything like it, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

https://www.fiannafail.ie/motor-tax-no-longer-spent-on-roads-fleming/#:~:text=Deputy%20Fleming%20said%2C%20%E2%80%9CThey%20money,upkeep%20and%20maintenance%20of%20roads.

Motor Tax No Longer Spent On Roads – Fleming

09/03/2018 In Latest News
    Fianna Fáil TD for Laois Sean Fleming says motorists will be surprised to learn that the money they pay on motor tax is no longer spent on the upkeep and maintenance of roads.

Up to recently the practice had always been that motor tax receipts were paid into the Local Government Fund and distributed directly to Local Authorities for spending on roads. However the Government broke this link on the 1st January of this year.

Deputy Fleming said that at the recent Public Accounts Committee meeting senior officials from the Department of Housing, Planning and Local Government confirmed that this change took place on the 1st January 2018.

Deputy Fleming said, “They money raised through motor tax is now paid directly to the Revenue Commissioners, like all other taxation. This means the money people spend on motor tax is no longer being spent on the upkeep and maintenance of roads.

“This policy change has far reaching implications. There is now a new serious risk that central Government will not always provide the funding needed for the repair, maintenance and upkeep of local roads.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

JayRoc wrote: »
    That was my point, really. As far as I am aware, Motor Tax goes to a central tax pool and is not ringfenced for road maintenance or anything like it, no?

AFAIK none of the tax heads, with the exception perhaps of LPT, are ringfenced. But I still don’t get the point that you are trying to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Ush1 wrote: »
    My electric car has zero emissions yet I have to pay 120 euro motor tax.

It still does an awful lot of damage to the environment. Here's one place to start :
    https://www.ncl.ac.uk/press/articles/latest/2020/05/tyreparticles/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,672 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

It still does an awful lot of damage to the environment. Here's one place to start :
    https://www.ncl.ac.uk/press/articles/latest/2020/05/tyreparticles/

Bikes have tyres as well

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »
    Bikes have tyres as well

They do - two, not four - a lot skinnier, a lot lower speeds, a lot less wear.

More importantly, bike tyres aren't carrying round a tonne or two of metal, typically less than one - hundredth of that.

They do - two, not four - a lot skinnier, a lot lower speeds, a lot less wear.

More importantly, bike tyres aren't carrying round a tonne or two of metal, typically less than one - hundredth of that.

Come on out here around Killiney hill

I regularly see bikes travelling faster than cars and some of the bucks being carried on them must be close to a tonne weight , Lycra being stretched to its limits .

:D

Cyrus wrote: »
    Come on out here around Killiney hill

I regularly see bikes travelling faster than cars and some of the bucks being carried on them must be close to a tonne weight , Lycra being stretched to its limits .

:D

I also see cars in Killiney with two or three or four of those bucks, so the volume of tyre particles from cars is in a totally different league.

Then there is the brake pad particles, again much bigger issue from cars given the size of pads and the speed they are breaking from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭crushproof

Note to Mods...this is a discussion about Dun Laoghaire and not motor tax!!

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

lost the OP due to the fascinating discussion on motor tax and bicy...zzzz

But, the work on improvements to Glasthule continued to a new phase yesterday. Looks like some tightening of the junctions to afford fmore pavement space on Link Road (both ends), as well as the installation of seating and planters.

I hear Dalkey is scheduled for similar works this week and next as well.

Incidentally, I wonder will the phenomenon continue of drivers turning left from Link Road onto Glasthule Road and immediately stopping at the red light on Glasthule Road.

Always gives me a smile.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Lovely art and photography exhibition in the Lexicon currently, a wonderful use of this public space.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Lovely art and photography exhibition in the Lexicon currently, a wonderful use of this public space.

and a shout out too, to the IADT students who have transformed some of the ugly traffic light electricity boxes that inhabit the area. I've seen a few in DL, Glasthule and Sandycove that have been beautifully painted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

took my first cycle on the coastal route pretty impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭JayRoc

took my first cycle on the coastal route pretty impressive.

Blackrock Village to Marine Road in Dun Laoghaire at a handy pace was bang on ten minutes when I timed it the other day. Very pleasant cycle.

I was in DL tonight, probably the warmest evening of the summer - loads of people around, though there was no delays on the access roads, and no problem getting parking.

There is really something very different happening with cycling - couples aged 60+ on the cycle track, more of the same unlocking their bikes after walking the pier, families with kids, groups of young ladies (17-23) on bikes, some on Bleeper Bikes moving around on the track.

We're on the cusp of something big here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Blut2

I was also in DL tonight. No problems at all with traffic, but loads and loads of pedestrians and cyclists on the new cycle paths. I drove along by Salthill Dart Station towards Blackrock and more of the same - no problem with traffic at all, but loads of people out enjoying it, even at night. Really great to see.

If they could expand on it next summer to also include things like food stalls etc along the Salthill to Seapoint stretch (probably by closing off the remaining lane of traffic) it'd be fantastic, it would make the whole sea front so attractive as a destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Blut2 wrote: »
    I was also in DL tonight. No problems at all with traffic, but loads and loads of pedestrians and cyclists on the new cycle paths. I drove along by Salthill Dart Station towards Blackrock and more of the same - no problem with traffic at all, but loads of people out enjoying it, even at night. Really great to see.

If they could expand on it next summer to also include things like food stalls etc along the Salthill to Seapoint stretch (probably by closing off the remaining lane of traffic) it'd be fantastic, it would make the whole sea front so attractive as a destination.

You also have Seapoint park which could be better incorporated into the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Blut2 wrote: »
    If they could expand on it next summer to also include things like food stalls etc along the Salthill to Seapoint stretch
    You'd have local eateries complaining about loss of business, which I think would be fair enough.

The food market in sandyford must hit local businesses. A lot of people will eat out for lunch just 1 day a week as a treat and so go there instead of one of the permanent places. One takeaway which only opens at about 4.30 was doing lunches for a good while but stopped and told me it was lack of trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,265 ✭✭✭✭ted1

rubadub wrote: »
    You'd have local eateries complaining about loss of business, which I think would be fair enough.

The food market in sandyford must hit local businesses. A lot of people will eat out for lunch just 1 day a week as a treat and so go there instead of one of the permanent places. One takeaway which only opens at about 4.30 was doing lunches for a good while but stopped and told me it was lack of trade.

Fish shack down the road from teddies seems to be getting great business from cyclists

• Registered Users Posts: 27,884 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

ted1 wrote: »
    Fish shack down the road from teddies seems to be getting great business from cyclists

If it's the Fish Shack, they're a slightly different case to these popup stalls - they have a restaurant premises in Sandycove.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Nothing stopping existing business doing pop up versions of themselves. Sure Teddys only started doing that once scrumdiddlies opened up and started stealing all their business.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    If it's the Fish Shack, they're a slightly different case to these popup stalls - they have a restaurant premises in Sandycove.

Toscana could also put tables out. In other countries it’s not strange for staff to walk a distance with orders

ted1 wrote: »
    Toscana could also put tables out. In other countries it’s not strange for staff to walk a distance with orders

You have to pay an annual charge \ get ok from the council for that here, at least you did pre-Covid.
    The DCC prices are listed here.
    http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-business/apply-street-furniture-licence

What's the selection like at the popup stall, compared to their full menu?

You have to pay an annual charge \ get ok from the council for that here, at least you did pre-Covid.
    The DCC prices are listed here.
    http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-business/apply-street-furniture-licence

They have waived the fee, but are also giving 75% grants for outdoor furniture including heaters.

https://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/news/general-news/dlr-street-furniture-licences-update-fees-free

https://www.localenterprise.ie/DLR/Financial-Supports/Street-Furniture-Grant-Scheme/

What's the selection like at the popup stall, compared to their full menu?

I remember it as being limited... fish & chips, shrimp nachos, calamari.
    At one point think they had a lobster roll, but that's probably their crab & shrimp sandwich now.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭scooby77

Posted this in staycation thread, thought might reach local audience here!
    "Doing 2 nights Dun Laoghaire this weekend. Hoping late lunches couple beers. Then later dinner couple beers! Saturday anyway. Are TripAdvisor rankings for there on the ball or any better recommendations please ?
    (Couple, early 40s, no kids with us...not huge fish eaters)
    Thanks in advance

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

scooby77 wrote: »
    Posted this in staycation thread, thought might reach local audience here!
    "Doing 2 nights Dun Laoghaire this weekend. Hoping late lunches couple beers. Then later dinner couple beers! Saturday anyway. Are TripAdvisor rankings for there on the ball or any better recommendations please ?
    (Couple, early 40s, no kids with us...not huge fish eaters)
    Thanks in advance

Haddington Hotel - there's seating outside looking out over the water too.

Some will scoff at this suggestion but the forty foot ain't bad either, even for a Weatherspoons.

Haddington Hotel - there's seating outside looking out over the water too.

Some will scoff at this suggestion but the forty foot ain't bad either, even for a Weatherspoons.

I’d endorse the first suggestion

But not the second :)

• Advertisement

Haddington/Oliveto, Hartleys and Casper Giumbinis. And the Sunday market. Sorted.

Advertisement