Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

Kingp35 wrote: »
    As long as it's safe, clean and well maintained, cyclists will use it. Otherwise they will use the road.

What a silly comment. If a road is full of potholes should a car driver use the path?

Stay in the cycle lanes and stop putting yourself and others at danger.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

What a silly comment. If a road is full of potholes should a car driver use the path?

This part is not worth a response.

That's the whole point. Often times cycling on the road IS SAFER than using the cycling lane. Until this is resolved you'll continue to see cyclists using the road instead of an unsafe cycle lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭dubrov

You seem to think a cyclist using the road is comparable to a car driving on the path.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

A cyclist has as much right to use the road as a car/van/truck. A car does not have the right to use the path.

If a road is a two lanes, and the left lane is full of potholes, glass/general crap that's pushed to the left of the road, pedestrians, kids, dog, lampoles, etc., you can be sure most people will drive in the right lane. The same applies to cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If a road is full of potholes should a car driver use the path?.
    That would be illegal. In most cases they will take a different route or drive very slowly causing traffic to build up in both cases, then authorities would hopefully see this and fix the issue. Just like the dun laoghaire cobblestone debacle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Cyrus wrote: »
    If there are dedicated cycle paths should cyclists be confined to them rather than choosing to use them or the road ?

I know at present they aren’t but if we move to a phase of building more infrastructure something like that would make sense I think .

Same for motorways, right? Drivers should be fined if they drive on local roads whenever a motorway is available?

If we're building these motorways, that would make sense, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Same for motorways, right? Drivers should be fined if they drive on local roads whenever a motorway is available?

Same for threads/forums, right? Posters should be reprimanded if they use incorrect areas for discussing something that clearly belongs elsewhere :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I know you are trying to be smart but that really didn’t hit the mark at all.

Try again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,299 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Spoking like a person who has never cycled..,,

I know you are trying to be smart but that really didn’t hit the mark at all.

Try again :D

Why would the same principle not apply to motorways? Get rid of all the traffic on the old road at Shankill and push them onto the M11. What's not to like?

• Advertisement

Why would the same principle not apply to motorways? Get rid of all the traffic on the old road at Shankill and push them onto the M11. What's not to like?

Because it’s not the same principal

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Johnspark

Coast road modification is a disaster.... I mean really ! Even if they have a big push for cyclists that’s ok but it’s one way out of DL , should be a one way into DL !! I think some retail / restaurants will suffer due to to this

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Awaaf

Johnspark wrote: »
    Coast road modification is a disaster.... I mean really ! Even if they have a big push for cyclists that’s ok but it’s one way out of DL , should be a one way into DL !! I think some retail / restaurants will suffer due to to this

It is a huge plus for pedestrians in my opinion. I guess ultimately when Covid is over there a decision will have to be made. Even though it inconveniences me somewhat when I am driving I would like that it is kept.

Because it’s not the same principal

It's exactly the same principle. The only difference is that the restriction is pointed at you, which wasn't what you had in mind.

Johnspark wrote: »

I think it could be improved by reversing the flow on Georges street lower. That would mean you could get from Monkstown to Dun Laoighre without having to take diversions.

It’s far from a disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Awaaf

ted1 wrote: »
    I think it could be improved by reversing the flow on Georges street lower. That would mean you could get from Monkstown to Dun Laoighre without having to take diversions.

It’s far from a disaster

This makes sense in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JayRoc

ted1 wrote: »

It’s far from a disaster

Good point, is the reason for the current direction that there are several northbound bus routes that go up that street?

Could those routes just as easily go up by the dart station and right onto Cumberland st ( essentially a reverse of what the southbound buses do) ?

It's exactly the same principle. The only difference is that the restriction is pointed at you, which wasn't what you had in mind.

It’s not ,

The motorway isn’t running alongside the road

It’s not ,

The motorway isn’t running alongside the road

Are you sure about that? It looks like the Dublin Road in Shankill runs alongside the M11.

524247.jpg

Are you sure about that? It looks like the Dublin Road in Shankill runs alongside the M11.

524247.jpg

Must be my eyesight because there is a big gap between the two

• Advertisement

Must be my eyesight because there is a big gap between the two

It's about 200m gap at Crinken Glen, not much in the context of motorway driving. Why shouldn't motorists be required to use their dedicated infrastructure in the same way that you want cyclists to be required to use their dedicated infrastructure?

And have you any particular plans for dealing the routine parking on cycle lanes by vans, trucks and cars?

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23freethecyclelanes&src=typed_query&f=image

• Registered Users Posts: 13,653 ✭✭✭✭josip

Wet and windy here in Dun Laoghaire today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

josip wrote: »

Any crashing waves? thought about going down with the camera.

It's about 200m gap at Crinken Glen, not much in the context of motorway driving. Why shouldn't motorists be required to use their dedicated infrastructure in the same way that you want cyclists to be required to use their dedicated infrastructure?

And have you any particular plans for dealing the routine parking on cycle lanes by vans, trucks and cars?

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23freethecyclelanes&src=typed_query&f=image

Why you insist on talking about two separate roads is beyond me, I’m talking about a road where part of that road has been designated for cyclists, imo cyclists should use them.

As for vans trucks and cars breaking the law I presume the same vigour of law and order will be brought on them as cyclists breaking red lights etc

Why you insist on talking about two separate roads is beyond me, I’m talking about a road where part of that road has been designated for cyclists, imo cyclists should use them.

Because it's the same issue - use of dedicated infrastructure. The motorway is a FULL road designated for motorists, so motorists should use it and keep local roads free, right?

Would you expect cycle lanes like these to be mandatory for cyclists.
    https://irishcycle.com/2015/11/05/images-25-reasons-why-cyclists-dont-use-cycle-lanes
    As for vans trucks and cars breaking the law I presume the same vigour of law and order will be brought on them as cyclists breaking red lights etc
    If that's the same vigour of law and order brought on the 98% of motorists that break urban speed limits, I wouldn't have much confidence there.

josip wrote: »

Yep. Average speed on the cycle path heading towards Monkstown was only about 17kmh, on the way back it was 30kmh

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Any chance the bickering over road and cycling infrastructure can either return to DL only or be taken elsewhere, it's boring at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Any chance the bickering over road
    it's not even bnickering, it's cringeworthy trolling at this stage, the feigned ignorance about it being "beyond me" is fooling nobody. Making yourself out to be stupid in an attempt to look smart -it doesn't work, quite the opposite effect.

rubadub wrote: »
    it's not even bnickering, it's cringeworthy trolling at this stage, the feigned ignorance about it being "beyond me" is fooling nobody. Making yourself out to be stupid in an attempt to look smart -it doesn't work, quite the opposite effect.

Indeed well said

• Advertisement

Indeed well said

From https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114420125&postcount=1045

:D:D:D:D:D

Advertisement