Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Dreadful traffic on the Dalkey and Glasthule approaches to Dun Laoghaire today. Really unacceptable.
    Im sure they are. These folk are now avoiding dL as a whole.

Shows how heavy the traffic was before the changes. Such traffic being ever accommodated by increased road space.

Traffic volumes expand or contract to suit the space available to it, so hopefully the traffic volumes will now reduce and allow the whole area become a much more pleasant and vibrant space.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Mav11 wrote: »
    Shows how heavy the traffic was before the changes. Such traffic being ever accommodated by increased road space.

Traffic volumes expand or contract to suit the space available to it, so hopefully the traffic volumes will now reduce and allow the whole area become a much more pleasant and vibrant space.

The pier and park area in sun Laoghaire was always vibrant , moving some of the concessions from the market to give more social distancing space makes sense for now but it’s not required post Covid .

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fcarltonreid%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F12%2Fnotstuckintraffic-1200x917.jpg

If only there was some alternative mode that many people could use to travel to Dun Laoghaire?

Interesting idea. I should cycle next time I need to go to Tesco. My weekly groceries should only take about nine trips

• Registered Users Posts: 23,299 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Aegir wrote: »
    Interesting idea. I should cycle next time I need to go to Tesco. My weekly groceries should only take about nine trips

There’s 6 other days when you are not doing the weekly shop.. Also Tesco do deliveries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

That traffic brought trade and income to DL.

Some people who exclusively use cars are choosing not to go there now. Im sure thats nice for the cycle brigade. Lets see how it is for the non coffee/icecream retailers over the next few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

ted1 wrote: »
    Because DL was so vibrant before Covid.....

Well lets be honest. Putting some drivers off from going to DL now, may indeed result in long term losses for DL as these drivers find suitable alternatives for their needs.

If this becomes permanent will the cyclists bring the same spending power during the winter months?

Its another nail in the DL coffin just when it seemed to be turning around a bit.

So, lets see how its vibrancy is sustained.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,299 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Well lets be honest. Putting some drivers off from going to DL now, may indeed result in long term losses for DL as these drivers find suitable alternatives for their needs.

If this becomes permanent will the cyclists bring the same spending power during the winter months?

Its another nail in the DL coffin just when it seemed to be turning around a bit.

Traffic is being routed past the shops in DL, Glasthule and Monkstown. This could lead to more business for them after all there’s little to no shops on the coast road.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

from the Currency today

please provide a link, don't copy & paste

The link will take you to a firewall for that source.

Alternatively it may result in gains to local businesses.

I cycle to DL but mostly drive. The cycling experience is much improved with the changes. If I drive I usually park up around Tivoli terrace and walk around the town. This is also much more pleasant since the changes. For example if I want something from Argos I would now be more inclined to use DL and not Dundrum. I’m sure that I am not alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

That traffic brought trade and income to DL.

Some people who exclusively use cars are choosing not to go there now. Im sure thats nice for the cycle brigade. Lets see how it is for the non coffee/icecream retailers over the next few months.

The international experience would seem to suggest that it will work out fine.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonreid/2018/11/16/cyclists-spend-40-more-in-londons-shops-than-motorists/

• Advertisement

Or one trip maybe

https://twitter.com/katalinscherer/status/1289971025308872704?s=19

#bancars

Great

I hope all these bike shoppers bikes are waiting for them when they get back, the local scrotes have form as long as your arm .

Even has room for toilet rolls in case of another lock-down:D

There is no way on this earth I am putting a rack or a basket on my Endurace!

Cyrus wrote: »
    #bancars

Great

I hope all these bike shoppers bikes are waiting for them when they get back, the local scrotes have form as long as your arm .

Yes, bike theft is certainly an issue. Car theft is also an issue, though it generally doesn't put people off car ownership hugely.

Difficult enough to resell cargo bikes like this, so the scrotes are more likely to stick to something more traditional.

The venues do need to do better at providing safe parking that accommodates all shapes and sizes of bikes. Trinity College have done good work on this.

image.jpg

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/trinity-college-dublin-installs-first-disabled-bicycle-parking-facilities-1.3936287

There is no way on this earth I am putting a rack or a basket on my Endurace!

n + 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,838 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

100%

If Dun laoghaire had a unified business voice rather than the infighting of the last 20 years and an impotent Chamber of Commerce perhaps there would be proper engagement on the pros and cons of these things. As it is DLR are prioritising seasonal, mostly leisure cycling over business activity and jobs. It's mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭dubrov

100%

If Dun laoghaire had a unified business voice rather than the infighting of the last 20 years and an impotent Chamber of Commerce perhaps there would be proper engagement on the pros and cons of these things. As it is DLR are prioritising seasonal, mostly leisure cycling over business activity and jobs. It's mental.

Weather wasn't great today but loads of cyclists down there.
    Car Parking puts me off going to Dun Laoghaire at the weekends.

I wouldn't be so sure it will be bad for business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

The pier and park area in sun Laoghaire was always vibrant , moving some of the concessions from the market to give more social distancing space makes sense for now but it’s not required post Covid .

That's a narrow way of thinking, the market outgrew the park even before Covid, having it out in the open now gives it a lot more space to grow and therefore more potential.
    Instead of the quaint farmer and crafts market we had it could now become a much larger market, like Albert Cuyp in Amsterdam or Notting Hill, over two days maybe. Local shops could also have stalls and it would bring a lot more custom into town. It wouldn't be possible within the confines of the park but is possible now and there is tens of thousands of people within the walking and cycling distance, made easier now.

strandroad wrote: »
    That's a narrow way of thinking, the market outgrew the park even before Covid, having it out in the open now gives it a lot more space to grow and therefore more potential.
    Instead of the quaint farmer and crafts market we had it could now become a much larger market, like Albert Cuyp in Amsterdam or Notting Hill, over two days maybe. Local shops could also have stalls and it would bring a lot more custom into town. It wouldn't be possible within the confines of the park but is possible now and there is tens of thousands of people within the walking and cycling distance, made easier now.

There was plenty more space in the park, you might be right but I’d be shocked if the market ends up much bigger than it was it’ll just be more spread out . I preferred it the way it was personally .

It seems the consensus amongst the pro cycle lane group here is that we need to be more like Amsterdam in dun Laoghaire.

Only a few months until the ‘cafes’ and the red light district so :p

100%

I'm just back from the West pier. Parked the car in Albany Ave, no problem getting there and walked down Seapoint Ave to cross the tracks.

Seapoint Ave was full of walkers, strollers, cyclists, kids on scooters and trikes, babies in buggies. While there were a considerable number of cyclists, in my estimation they were not in the majority. So it is not just cyclists who are benefiting from this. Focusing just on cyclists is missing the wider benefits of the initiative.

The one thing that was missing was the endless streams of cars in both directions, the associated noise, pollution and aggressive driver behaviour was also missing!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

I cannot remember a time when the traffic in DL on a Sunday was not absolutely appalling, cycle lane or not.

I'm just back from the West pier. Parked the car in Albany Ave, no problem getting there and walked down Seapoint Ave to cross the tracks.

Seapoint Ave was full of walkers, strollers, cyclists, kids on scooters and trikes, babies in buggies. While there were a considerable number of cyclists, in my estimation they were not in the majority. So it is not just cyclists who are benefiting from this. Focusing just on cyclists is missing the wider benefits of the initiative.

The one thing that was missing was the endless streams of cars in both directions, the associated noise, pollution and aggressive driver behaviour was also missing!!

What aggression did drivers normally inflict on you before between Albany avenue and the west pier ??

What aggression did drivers normally inflict on you before between Albany avenue and the west pier ??

Where did I say it was inflicted on me?

Where did I say it was inflicted on me?

Well I’m not really sure what you are referring to ? Who were they being aggressive towards on that short stretch of road?

Well I’m not really sure what you are referring to ? Who were they being aggressive towards on that short stretch of road?

I'm really not sure that I can make it any simpler, but I will try by giving you an example. On one occasion..............................no, couldn't be bothered!!

I'm really not sure that I can make it any simpler, but I will try by giving you an example. On one occasion..............................no, couldn't be bothered!!

Because you made it up to make it sound idyllic after you drove most of the way there :D

Because you made it up to make it sound idyllic after you drove most of the way there :D

Yep made it up, you have me!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Absolute nonsense, that's not even one week's worth of shopping, never mind 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

pm1977x wrote: »
    Absolute nonsense, that's not even one week's worth of shopping, never mind 2.

Brings to mind an interesting side topic, how historically the rise of the car shunted people towards supermarkets with their processed foods and Chorleywood bread. If you only shop once a fortnight or even a week, fresh produce or proper bread won't keep, so you need processed or frozen. If you pop into your local butchers bakers or greengrocers every other day, you can eat fresh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,062 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

strandroad wrote: »
    Brings to mind an interesting side topic, how historically the rise of the car shunted people towards supermarkets with their processed foods and Chorleywood bread. If you only shop once a fortnight or even a week, fresh produce or proper bread won't keep, so you need processed or frozen. If you pop into your local butchers bakers or greengrocers every other day, you can eat fresh.

More than the car - you need refrigerator too.
    And stay at homes wives or servants with the time to traipse to multiple different stores daily.

But the invention I think DL needs is the concept of validated parking like they have in the States.
    You have lunch or buy stuff in local shop, the store validates your public parking ticket.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement