Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

If he's not due back until October than I wouldn't be overly concerned. I wonder are there generally more squad level players from France / England floating around now due to Covid.

I don't think we'll go into the market unless JJ or Rory Scannell goes down. We can count our lucky stars that the signings we previously signed were still able to take place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

If he's not due back until October than I wouldn't be overly concerned. I wonder are there generally more squad level players from France / England floating around now due to Covid.
    Joey Carbery (wrist/ankle) is also continuing to rehab well and the out-half is expected to make a return to action in September.

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2020/06/22/squad-update-return-to-training/

Expect the academy lads are getting a chance to put a run in for the bench outhalf slot though you have to imagine if DdA is fit for the August games then Rory Scannell is prime candidate for the 22 jersey

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I don't think we'll go into the market unless JJ or Rory Scannell goes down. We can count our lucky stars that the signings we previously signed were still able to take place.

Private money that was already in place. They were always coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

Given how the English clubs have torn up legally binding contracts of some of their top players and intend to flog the players by asking them to play 3 games a week to finish out the season I can see Ireland becoming an even more attractive proposition for big name players post covid. Japan is the destination of choice for money and an easier life. England and France will take their pound of flesh for the money but Ireland remains a good middle ground in terms of money and quality of rugby.

Given how the English clubs have torn up legally binding contracts of some of their top players and intend to flog the players by asking them to play 3 games a week to finish out the season I can see Ireland becoming an even more attractive proposition for big name players post covid. Japan is the destination of choice for money and an easier life. England and France will take their pound of flesh for the money but Ireland remains a good middle ground in terms of money and quality of rugby.

We've got NIQ quotas and players have just agreed paycuts. You won't be seeing any influx of overseas players anytime soon.

• Advertisement

We've got NIQ quotas and players have just agreed paycuts. You won't be seeing any influx of overseas players anytime soon.

Not talking about an influx but responding to the idea we won't see big names coming here post covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Private money that was already in place. They were always coming.

Any either of secure? Is it like DOB with Sexton scenario so someone like JP McManus?

Eod100 wrote: »
    Any either of secure? Is it like DOB with Sexton scenario so someone like JP McManus?

It has never been officially confirmed but I don't believe it is JP. I had heard this was a result of a number of years ground work in securing new revenue streams from benefactors outside of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭GerryFog

Mods deleted the James Cronin doping thread. Such a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭mun1

I doubt it was JP who stumped up for the two players

• Advertisement

Anyone a find it odd head coach talking about new signings all being “winners” ( or words to that effect).
    Bit of interview i heard Sounded a bit desperate to be honest .

Hope it all works out but I’m a fundamentally a pessimist and soundings like this can undermine a squad

mun1 wrote: »
    Anyone a find it odd head coach talking about new signings all being “winners” ( or words to that effect).

Hope it all works out but I’m a fundamentally a pessimist and soundings like this can undermine a squad

No, not at all. And he didn't say that they were winners, he said that the came from winning environments so they new what it took to win things.

Exact quote from JVG.
    “Everybody knows the ambition and dreams that we have as a club and I think it’s important to note that if you look at the four individuals,they all come from championship-winning teams and that’s something that we want to become.”

Nothing at all desperate about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

Salanoa had no impact what so ever on leinster being a winning team.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Salanoa had no impact what so ever on leinster being a winning team.

Not the player but the culture of winning would be there

Coach in talking up signings shocker.

I suppose we should be more worried if he was using words like development, rebuilding etc..

I suppose we should be more worried if he was using words like development, rebuilding etc..

Bingo. The two year window of DDA and Snyman at Munster needs to deliver progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Bingo. The two year window of DDA and Snyman at Munster needs to deliver progress.

Agreed, Munster have been "in transition" for 10 years at this stage, time to actually do it.

I was more worried about the comments on Carbery tbh.

Agreed, Munster have been "in transition" for 10 years at this stage, time to actually do it.

I was more worried about the comments on Carbery tbh.

All the academy 10s are training with the seniors now. I don't know the story but perhaps Carbery is focusing on the 2020/21 start.

Really need carbery back as there are still a few weak points in the squad. Weak points being positions where we don’t have players challenging for internal honors:

2, 3, 5, 7, 15 (Conway at 14 ?.

Even at that our front 5 really needed snymen to add that bit if extra oomph.

11, 6 & 8 being at the tail end of the quite brilliant careers means their understudies need to be able to push them out of the way rather than waiting for them to retire.

Our front row needs younger players to step up , hopefully see a bit of gametime for Knox etc this season.

Great additions for coming season though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Really need carbery back as there are still a few weak points in the squad. Weak points being positions where we don’t have players challenging for internal honors:

2, 3, 5, 7, 15 (Conway at 14 ?.

Even at that our front 5 really needed snymen to add that bit if extra oomph.

11, 6 & 8 being at the tail end of the quite brilliant careers means their understudies need to be able to push them out of the way rather than waiting for them to retire.

Our front row needs younger players to step up , hopefully see a bit of gametime for Knox etc this season.

Great additions for coming season though
    I dont see hooker as an issue with scannell, Marshall,
    You dobt necessarily have to have players challenging for international spot in every position.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭shootermacg

You dobt necessarily have to have players challenging for international spot in every position.

Scannell has regressed at 2. He was a better player 2 years ago. Kevin O'Byrne and Marshall are very good players though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,039 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Scannell has regressed at 2. He was a better player 2 years ago. Kevin O'Byrne and Marshall are very good players though.

And Marshall will be challenging for an international spot if he gets the game time. Joe Schmidt had him firmly in his sights

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Look at the quality of the Heineken cup winners/finalists the last few years.

Scannel no where near that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

yerrahbah wrote: »

3 new players in the Academy.

Stafford and Tynan leave the club

Whatever happened to Daniel Okeke? I remember there was a lot of hype about him last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Whatever happened to Daniel Okeke? I remember there was a lot of hype about him last year.

Probably spending a year in sub academy - he's a serious physical specimen but Alex Kendellan making the Academy this year ahead of him out of school would indicate that he's lacking on some other front (skill, attitude, fitness, smarts, who knows.)

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

Kendellan getting in the academy so young is impressive, do you know much about him?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

FrannoFan wrote: »
    Look at the quality of the Heineken cup winners/finalists the last few years.

Scannel no where near that level.
    probably wont but between himself and Marshall you have an excellent pair
    been in sub academy. Still underage for 20s next season. Played ail and 20s this season
    Kendellan getting in the academy so young is impressive, do you know much about him?
    he isnt that young. Entering having just finished u19 season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

probably wont but between himself and Marshall you have an excellent pair
    been in sub academy. Still underage for 20s next season. Played ail and 20s this season
    he isnt that young. Entering having just finished u19 season.

yeah he is, he's straight out of school...

https://www.the42.ie/presentation-brothers-college-st-munchins-munster-senior-cup-5022903-Feb2020/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

more of an athlete than a rugby player.

Advertisement