Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Speaking of calibre of locks, Munster also had Ian Nagle and Dave Foley coming through at that time. Unfortunately their careers were impacted by injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

That Monster Madigan.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Banner fights back

Tyler Bleyendaal was on RTE's game on 2fm this evening. The big thing to take out of this interview is that he's definitely not closing the door on an possible coaching role within Munster rugby.

I hope that the province do all they can in enticing Tyler and his family in staying in Limerick and be part of Jvg's coaching ticket once rugby returns. He is a very intelligent guy and had enough rugby IQ as a player to excel as a coach. Here's hoping anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Recently retired players becoming coaches at the clubs they just finished playing at isn’t ideal. Works out in some cases but more often than not it doesn’t.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

stephen_n wrote: »
    Recently retired players becoming coaches at the clubs they just finished playing at isn’t ideal. Works out in some cases but more often than not it doesn’t.

Munster actually being a case in point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

Tyler is a different case though..he didn't come thru the ranks, he's not steeped in the traditional Munster ways...
    He understands what it means to play for us...he grew up playing underage in new Zealand, he played for Canterbury-Crusaders for as long as he did Munster....
    He would definitely bring something much different to the table than someone like Fla

• Registered Users Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

He's effectively been involved on the coaching side for most of the last two seasons though? The tributes all the players paid to him when his retirement was announced showed how highly they all regarded him.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Caranica wrote: »
    He's effectively been involved on the coaching side for most of the last two seasons though? The tributes all the players paid to him when his retirement was announced showed how highly they all regarded him.

What’s knowledge/POV is he going to add that larkham doesn’t already know? Would much rather spend the resources adding 2/3 more players to the academy rather than paying to keep Tyler as a coach unless he’s going to replace Malone as academy coach.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Felix Jones is a great example of a player who's career was cut short by injury and started off great as a coach, unfortunately though I can't think of many others, if it's not going to cost us much or take the spot of an expierenced coach then give him a spot.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Caranica wrote: »

Player hardly going to come out and say wasn’t he a useless fecker

Tyler has never really played for Munster bar one season, no idea why they gave him a contract last season as he should have retired at that stage

To be honest he would be better going off and getting some experience overseas than hanging around Munster, I think he was coaching one of the AIL teams wasn’t he?

When he was offered that contract he was playing. In hindsight it's bad business but he was a serious talent when fit.

It's worth mentioning that Johnny Holland without his own injuries/retirement might have made Bleyendaal surplus to requirements.

I probably wouldn't have offered two years. At that stage rolling contracts might have been the order of business for Bleyendaal.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

I fear a lot of posters here don't understand the Irish system. We don't have the same money as France or England to be spending on players. We don't tend to cut players loose when they are near the end of their international careers and we don't tend to screw over injured players. Players go to France and England and they take the bettermoney and accept the risks that go with it. Just ask Sexton which he prefers. If the IRFU are seen to let go injured players then why should the stars stay around and risk the same thing happening to them?
    I also imagine that the IRFU have insurance against players being injured long term to help cover the wages similar to soccer.

• Administrators Posts: 53,507 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I fear a lot of posters here don't understand the Irish system. We don't have the same money as France or England to be spending on players. We don't tend to cut players loose when they are near the end of their international careers and we don't tend to screw over injured players. Players go to France and England and they take the bettermoney and accept the risks that go with it. Just ask Sexton which he prefers. If the IRFU are seen to let go injured players then why should the stars stay around and risk the same thing happening to them?
    I also imagine that the IRFU have insurance against players being injured long term to help cover the wages similar to soccer.

I think it would be the player that has insurance, not the IRFU. Pretty sure I read in one of the autobiographies that the IRFU cut salaries when players get injuries that last longer than 6 months or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Player hardly going to come out and say wasn’t he a useless fecker

It was all the stuff about his rugby brain and "smartest player I've ever known" that stood out from the usual comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

awec wrote: »
    I think it would be the player that has insurance, not the IRFU. Pretty sure I read in one of the autobiographies that the IRFU cut salaries when players get injuries that last longer than 6 months or something.

No, the IRFU have that insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

No, the IRFU have that insurance

That was my understanding as well. Something along the lines of IRFU still pay salary of player for short term injury but where it goes past a certain period (a few months) the insurance cover kicks in. This is the reason that the provinces can sign players on short terms contracts to cover long term injuries. It's not additional budget being spent but because of the insurance kicking in they have space created to sign players on 3 month plus contracts.

There is other insurance there around career-ending injuries which id guess is either the players themselves or possibly collectively bargained for the players by IRUPA or the IRFU

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

awec wrote: »

Not sure about the IRFU but that's definitely the case over in England anyways with the clubs. They get slashed to half pay for long term injuries over 6 months and I think if it's over a year it decreases again.

Some background to the nine additions to the senior squad (signings and academy promotions): https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2020/06/18/player-profiles-munster-rugbys-new-signings/

• Advertisement

DOS joining Vannes in the ProD2, who were mid-table before the 2019/-20 season was voided: https://www.sudradio.fr/rugby/rugby-pro-d2-vannes-annonce-quatre-recrues/

Dan Tuohy played there for two seasons before retiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1275045496294379521

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2020/06/22/squad-update-return-to-training/

didn't expect Joey back so soon, good news there.

John Ryan has also undergone surgery

Good news. Munster will only be missing Carbery and John Ryan for the August games then.

The only reason Carberry injured his wrist in the first place is because he was forced to write a 30,000 word essay on why he wishes he was born in Munster. Hopefully he’s used properly this time

The only reason Carberry injured his wrist in the first place is because he was forced to write a 30,000 word essay on why he wishes he was born in Munster. Hopefully he’s used properly this time

You write as if there's something wrong with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

If thomond had to write one of the those it would simply be "John Hayes is the best" repeated 6,000 times.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

So Carbery could be available for the semi-final. He returned from injury straight into the starting 15 last year as well, and it didn't go great for him. I'm jumping the gun here but if JJ goes well in the 2 interpro's I'd nearly be inclined to stick with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

aloooof wrote: »
    So Carbery could be available for the semi-final. He returned from injury straight into the starting 15 last year as well, and it didn't go great for him. I'm jumping the gun here but if JJ goes well in the 2 interpro's I'd nearly be inclined to stick with him.

Im not a physio but I'd let Joey target October 3rd as a return date.

I'd say he has played in 5 games in the last 18 months

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

yerrahbah wrote: »
    Im not a physio but I'd let Joey target October 3rd as a return date.

I'd say he has played in 5 games in the last 18 months

Team | Season | Competition | Date | Opp | # | Mins | Comment
    Munster | 19/20 | Pro14 | 3rd Jan 20 | Ulster | 10 | 80
    Munster | 19/20 | Pro14 | 28th Dec 20 | Leinster | 22 | 23
    Ireland | 19/20 | RWC | 19 Oct 19 | NZ | 22 | 17
    Ireland | 19/20 | RWC | 12 Oct 19 | Samoa | 22 | 29
    Ireland | 19/20 | RWC | 28 Sep 19 | Japan | 22 | 19
    Ireland | 19/20 | RWC WU| 10 Aug 19 | Italy | 10 | 50 | Went off injured

Munster | 18/19 | Pro14 | 18 May 19 | Leinster | 10 | 72
    Munster | 18/19 | CC | 30 Mar 19 | Edinburgh | 10 | 36 | Went off injured
    Ireland | 18/19 | 6N | 09 Feb 19 | Scotland | 22 | 56
    Ireland | 18/19 | 6N | 02 Feb 19 | England | 22 | 7
    Munster | 18/19 | CC | 19 Jan 19 | Exeter | 10 | 80
    Munster | 18/19 | CC | 11 Jan 19 | Gloucester | 10 | 71
    Munster | 18/19 | Pro14 | 05 Jan 19 | Connacht | 10 | 80

Had a quick look; 620 minutes, with 7 starts and 6 sub appearances since the start of last year. He's gone off injured in 2 of his last 4 starts.

Hopefully this break will have done him good and he can go on an injury-free run.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Yeah, any injury update on Carbery is to be approached with caution.

He picked up an injury in January that was supposed to keep him out for 3-4 months. Now it's going to end up being 8 months. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see that pushed back again.

Advertisement