Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deise Greenway. Cycle path. Waterford City to Dungarvan.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭JMcL

Seamai wrote: »
    We're hoping to do the whole greenway next week and then back as the shuttle bus back isn't an option at the moment. Was hoping that by going on a weekday it might be quieter, obviously not at this time of the year.

On bike I assume. It's a grand spin, I did it a few weeks ago. Should be looking at 4-5 hours riding total depending on fitness level and business of the greenway itself (<4 hours is a bit anti-social - it was dead quiet when I did it as it was early morning mid-week)

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

JMcL wrote:
    On bike I assume. It's a grand spin, I did it a few weeks ago. Should be looking at 4-5 hours riding total depending on fitness level and business of the greenway itself (

Have done it at night in the summer sun 4 hours, was great fun. Not a soul to be seen!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,853 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ExoPolitic wrote: »
    Have done it at night in the summer sun 4 hours, was great fun. Not a soul to be seen!

im gonna do this myself at some stage, maybe during the winter though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Seamai wrote: »
    We're hoping to do the whole greenway next week and then back as the shuttle bus back isn't an option at the moment. Was hoping that by going on a weekday it might be quieter, obviously not at this time of the year.

Its really only busy when the weather is good,i was out on a beautiful summers afternoon so i knew it would be busy ,just head out early enough and take it at your own pace regardless how busy it is you will be fine ,if you headed out early enough you would be down and back by the afternoon.

ec18 wrote: »
    were they all observing public health advice?

I dont know,whats the public health advice for people cycling outside in the fresh air?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭bullpost

I dont know,whats the public health advice for people cycling outside in the fresh air?

Watch out for anything with more than two wheels :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Agreed some more joined up projects and thinking would benefit the whole of the SouthEast. People starting on the Greenway in New Ross or Rosslare will follow it along through Waterford, it will increase tourism and benefit the whole region.

The Greenway announcement of funding from the govt yesterday had mention of a Dungarvan to Co Cork boundary greenway, and another bit had a mention of Dungarvan to Mallow

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Muttley79

https://images.app.goo.gl/QzAVnHeprrR9ap476
    Money from the EU is investing in both our own greenways and eurovelo tracks.euro velo1 is linked from Norway through Scotland all around coast of Ireland and ending in Spain.eurovelo 2 goes through England and links into the new Dublin to Galway cycle route.great idea and great holidays to cycle across Ireland and onto Europe for the holidays on safe off road tracks.on a local note Rosslare through Waterford onto lismore.linked up with the blackwater river from lismore to youghal and then from youghal onto Middleton cork Greenway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

As found by Seth Brundle on the infrastructure forum greenway thread

http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/line-objectors-blast-greenway-tyranny/

I wonder how people along the line feel about it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

https://waterford-news.ie/2020/08/26/woodstown-viking-site-has-world-class-potential/#.X0qsvndFzIU

This is something with massive potential. Waterford as we know is a Viking city and the longphort at Woodstown is believed to predate the city. These were areas where Vikings could protect their vessels and carry out raids from. An incredible part of our local history and I'm sure it will unearth more of its secrets in the future, not only contributing to our understanding of Vikings in Ireland, but Vikings throughout the world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

https://waterford-news.ie/2020/08/26/woodstown-viking-site-has-world-class-potential/#.X0qsvndFzIU

This is something with massive potential. Waterford as we know is a Viking city and the longphort at Woodstown is believed to predate the city. These were areas where Vikings could protect their vessels and carry out raids from. An incredible part of our local history and I'm sure it will unearth more of its secrets in the future, not only contributing to our understanding of Vikings in Ireland, but Vikings throughout the world.

Nearly every coastal city in northwestern Europe has Viking origins or even older. So what's new pussycat? Dig enough holes near any of those coastlines and you'll find something.

And go ahead with the academic research by all means. But Waterford is known for crystal. It's the most obvious thing and the most overlooked. If the City wants a successful tourist offering it's got to be that.

Dum_Dum wrote:
    Nearly every coastal city in northwestern Europe has Viking origins or even older. So what's new pussycat? Dig enough holes near any of those coastlines and you'll find something.

To be fair, we don't market this element enough, I personally find it far more interesting than lumps of glass, I think city's such as kilkenny do very well by promoting their castle, it's why I'm still livid over the city Square site, this could have been intigrated into the shopping centre to some degree, at great cost I'd imagine, but the potential short term gains won out, and now it’s lost for ever, at some stage, we re gonna have to reverse this short term thinking, before we completely wreck the place, and our history

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Dum_Dum wrote: »

And go ahead with the academic research by all means. But Waterford is known for crystal. It's the most obvious thing and the most overlooked. If the City wants a successful tourist offering it's got to be that.

I have no idea how you think Waterford Crystal is overlooked and then claim its best known for its crystal? seems a bit of a contradiction.

Sure if you dig enough holes you find something, but the site in Woodstown has brought up thousands of objects, including sivler, lead weights, a Viking Burial. This is a site that has been uncovered and has is til only 5% excavated. The fact is the site in Waterford remains one of the most invaluable Viking sites in the world and that is not an exaggeration.Read any modern book about the Vikings in the last 10 years or so and it will mention Woodstown.

Only in Waterford could someone be dismissive of world renowned Viking site.

I have no idea how you think Waterford Crystal is overlooked and then claim its best known for its crystal? seems a bit of a contradiction.

Sure if you dig enough holes you find something, but the site in Woodstown has brought up thousands of objects, including sivler, lead weights, a Viking Burial. This is a site that has been uncovered and has is til only 5% excavated. The fact is the site in Waterford remains one of the most invaluable Viking sites in the world and that is not an exaggeration.Read any modern book about the Vikings in the last 10 years or so and it will mention Vikings.

Only in Waterford could someone be dismissive of world renowned Viking site.

id love to see it excavated, id get involved if it was

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Dum_Dum wrote: »

Most European city's have some sort of fortification or another so Kilkenny is not unique.

But yet funny enough it does a fantastic job at using kilkenny Castle to advertise the place and it draws in tourists of all ages including families.

You'd want to be very foolish to ignore a viking settlement in Waterford...

But Waterford is known for crystal. It's the most obvious thing and the most overlooked. If the City wants a successful tourist offering it's got to be that.

I'm not sure you bothered to read what you typed.

Apparently Waterford is best known for its crystal, but at the same time it's not known for it because its over locked. So is it that people are just not interested in some glass?

If you think Waterford crystal would be a big pull for tourists to waterford you have to be kidding, it's a brand name now, nothing more. It doesn't even mean the stuff is made in Waterford anymore .

Back in the 1990s you could visit the factory where it was actually made, now you visit basically a show room with a cut down factory setup.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Most European city's have some sort of fortification or another so Kilkenny is not unique.

But yet funny enough it does a fantastic job at using kilkenny Castle to advertise the place and it draws in tourists of all ages including families.

You'd want to be very foolish to ignore a viking settlement in Waterford...

I'm not sure you bothered to read what you typed.

Apparently Waterford is best known for its crystal, but at the same time it's not known for it because its over locked. So is it that people are just not interested in some glass?

If you think Waterford crystal would be a big pull for tourists to waterford you have to be kidding, it's a brand name now, nothing more. It doesn't even mean the stuff is made in Waterford anymore .

Back in the 1990s you could visit the factory where it was actually made, now you visit basically a show room with a cut down factory setup.

whereby, it only makes a certain amount of it! we live in the era of the power of the 'brand name', and its exploitations!

Does anyone know if the Greenway is safe at night for a cycle?

id imagine it is, must do it myself sometime

• Registered Users Posts: 13,759 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Highly unlikely you'll be beaten up but it will be pitch black. You would need a good light.

Ill met by Moonlight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gwildor

Never had any issues at all. I’d cycle home from work in the city to Kilmac in the dark. The only things likely to assault you are Badgers, Foxes and Rabbits. Nearly binned it a few times trying to avoid the bloody Rabbits!

Ive been out there walking loads of times when its dark,its very safe just make sure you have a good light,you'd be surprised the amount of people out there at night walking,jogging and cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Head once over to the O'Mahony's for a glass of black stuff.
    Many of the rabbits and foxes crossing the Greenway at midnight.
    Make sure you've a proper front light. Amazing experience to be had btw.

^^^better get my skates on and try walk this again, before its developed

Midleton to Youghal got €10 million funding too ,and i think there's talk of Dungarvan to Youghal if that happens it would be a nice spin from New Ross to Midleton!

Midleton to Youghal got €10 million funding too ,and i think there's talk of Dungarvan to Youghal if that happens it would be a nice spin from New Ross to Midleton!

have they started work on these greenways?

Dungarvan to Youghall would be massive challenge, there is no line to follow so it would be fresh cutting all the way. Either that or follow roads with steep climbs

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Would be great if they convert the barrow bridge near the power station.

• Advertisement

spookwoman wrote: »
    Would be great if they convert the barrow bridge near the power station.

That's going to be part of the Rosslare to Waterford greenway if it ever happens.

https://www.wexfordcoco.ie/community/recreational-and-community-development-projects/rosslare-to-waterford-city-greenway

Advertisement