Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SOTC(state of the collection) thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

:) love the Yema. That particularly French design language is largely gone these days, but in the same way French cars could be quirky as feck, so was much of their watch design.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

How does the Yema work? I've never seen anything like it. So the time is five past 3?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Or possibly 3 stone and 5 ounces (just kidding, it's very cool!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

redlead wrote: »
    How does the Yema work? I've never seen anything like it. So the time is five past 3?

3:10 to Yema surely :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

That's correct. The hours move on one yellow dial while the minutes move on another. The red 'hands' never move.

• Advertisement

A few changed recently, a few on the chopping block and a few in my sights. Maybe too many watches at the moment, dont get to wear my beauties as much as I should, I think 6 is the perfect number for me.

20200609-192911.jpg
    upload pic

• Registered Users Posts: 64,926 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That seamaster is bullying the sub :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Beautiful collection fitz ,Good health to enjoy and appreciate.

I’m still at phase 1 / entering phase 2 so look forward to one day enjoying pieces like those .I know at the moment though for me , if that was my collection it would be the Seiko’s getting the most wear . I’m just too rough on watches to be able to wear wrist art like those

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

That JLC really is a thing of beauty, absolutely stunning!

Is the Raymond Weil a Ladies watch or just a very early model?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

A few changed recently, a few on the chopping block and a few in my sights. Maybe too many watches at the moment, dont get to wear my beauties as much as I should, I think 6 is the perfect number for me.

https://i.ibb.co/ZcR4HC6/20200609-192911.jpg
    upload pic

That’s serious, some lovely choices there.

If you had to get to 6 pieces right now what would you keep?

• Advertisement

That JLC really is a thing of beauty, absolutely stunning!

Is the Raymond Weil a Ladies watch or just a very early model?

The RW is a 1990 mens model, smaller times. 16th birthday present from my folks.

I think the save the ocean turtle is going to go and the seamaster...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Amazing collection Fitzy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

The RW is a 1990 mens model, smaller times. 16th birthday present from my folks.

I think the save the ocean turtle is going to go and the seamaster...

Funny, but the turtle is the one that catches my eye in the pic. Great collection, enjoy them and thanks for sharing.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

That's correct. The hours move on one yellow dial while the minutes move on another. The red 'hands' never move.

interesting that it goes anticlockwise

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

@Fitzgeme: That Daytona is the only Rolex line that does anything for me. A steel Cosmograph, possibly with a ceramic bezel, would be the only Rolex I'd actually aspire to.

Nice collection.

Might as well post in here now I have a watch winding box and no fewer than 5 watches :p

520963.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Is the Rolex socially distancing or being a snob?

Haha, probably a snob :D

Placement was fairly random, with the 3 autos on the winders and the quartz and manual down below.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

We have one watch in common, the MM hommage, what happened the tissel 905ex?

Actually that would be a good thread, boardsies with the most common watches, a bacon number type thing.
    You and I are,1.

njburke wrote: »
    We have one watch in common, the MM hommage,

Except mine is not an homage :p
    what happened the tissel 905ex?

Sold it and got a real Rolex Explorer 214270, which I soon traded in for the Milgauss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Two things strike me about those pics. Firstly, the Milguass - I think I still want one even though it would be too big for me. Work will have me even nearer to you then the office is so I might pop over to you in the next couple of weeks to confirm my suspicion.

Secondly, how the **** do you still have that Poljot? I'm amazed no one bought it when you were trying to sell it (unless I'm misremembering)

Feel free to come try on the Milgauss. It's by no means a big wearing watch. I'm warning you though, you might like it a bit too much :p

The first Rolex I ever tried on was fitzgeme's Milgauss. Not the one I own now (although that was indeed the first one he owned), but the one he currently owns. The instant feeling of class from the Rolex watches is not something I have experienced with any other watch, my Omegas Seamaster and Speedy moonwatch included.

hitemfrank wrote: »
    Secondly, how the **** do you still have that Poljot? I'm amazed no one bought it when you were trying to sell it (unless I'm misremembering)

Yeah it's a beauty alright. They do come up from time to time from eBay sellers from the Ukraine typically, but with the not so desirable "Cardinal" badge, I believe they were used for export outside of the USSR. And the sellers typically look for around the €110 mark plus shipping and plus VAT and customs duty if you get caught. So I thought my asking price of €130 was pretty reasonable and as always it includes adverts tax, so cheaper for anyone in here :)

Linky

@unkel, oops thought you had a merkur at one point.

Anyway, just won an auction this morning, and have a Doxa Sub300T professional on its way to me. Its been niggling at me for a while, I bought a speed master reduced which was too small for me so flipped and put the money to one side.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The milgauss wears nicely, though if I remember correctly, it sits relatively high. And a bit of weight to it too.

@unkel, oops thought you had a merkur at one point.

You thought right! Inspired by yourself I did buy one, it was advertised as being blue, but it was black so I sold it on quickly. Good quality homage though!

And it fulfilled its purpose: for me to get a feel of what the real thing would look like on my wrist. Have done that before and will do it again. Years ago with a Parnis Panerai homage (on the fence), then the Merkur (Tuna homage) - yay, the Tisel (Explore homage) - yay and a Parnis Batman homage - nay

And now I have your attention, I was only trying to find one of your older posts with a picture of a classy mesh bracelet. Couldn't find it. You remember what it was?

Anyway, just won an auction this morning, and have a Doxa Sub300T professional on its way to me.

I like that! Until I looked at the prices on eBay :eek:

Maybe I'll try some sort of orange Seiko first :D

The doxa or a brick is in the post.

I think what you are looking for is the uncle seiko razor wire.
    Its unusual, but extremely comfortable to wear. Sizing is tricky as you've to interleave the micro links within a link on its pin, a tweezers job but doable.

Is this an older MM in the pic below ?

520985.jpeg

Edit:
    Found my pic.
    468783.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

A question chaps, if you will.

Is the 150m rating on these the same as other 150m ratings or is it a real, this will dive to 150m?

I just find it odd that a manufacturer would go to the bother of all that diver styling and then give it a rating of only 150m.

I was under the impression that 200m was considered the minimum for genuine pleasure diving, such as PADI or SSI, even though they generally have a limit of 30m actual depth.

• Advertisement

Which watch/brand are you asking about?
    I'ld generally only trust well established brands such as seiko or citizen on depth rating. Watches tested to ISO6425 are also good bet.
    Automatics or solar have the advantage that the factory tested seal remains intact as for longer( no need to break the tested seal to replace battery). I got 17 years on my seiko orange monster before the seal was broken to replace the movement.

Advertisement