Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SOTC(state of the collection) thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,898 ✭✭✭✭unkel

How about that Glashütte on TZ?

1-65-01-26-12-35_WDV.jpg?itok=07_k000J

• Registered Users Posts: 16,513 ✭✭✭✭banie01

unkel wrote: »
    How about that Glashütte on TZ?

Sweet Jesus that's lovely!
    Love how the dials are stacked.

At GBP5650, it's about 40% cheaper than retail too, I don't claim to know anything about the market for these, but that seems a pretty decent deal. You can barely get an entry level Rolex for that sort of money. Gives some perspective, doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,768 ✭✭✭893bet

Have look at that model before as I think it’s lovely. They wear massive IMO so that’s the killer. They fool you into thinking they are a dress watch but are a fair old lump. Think the older version wears a little smaller (and is smaller).

Lovely watches though.

893bet wrote: »
    Have look at that model before as I think it’s lovely. They wear massive IMO so that’s the killer.

Had to look it up and it's only 40mm (and 11.7mm high)

I guess it's all dial though :D

€11,200 retail, so his asking is not an awful lot more than half the retail price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,729 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

ive looked at that a few times, personally i dont think the blue dial is the best on them, white is better, also the deployant clasp looks cheap to me :(

Agreed the white is super clean

65-01-22-12-04_WDV%20%281%29.jpg?itok=XErzvDKa

Deployant looks fine to me in his pictures, but always hard to tell. I guess you won't be able to go within 5km of your house to try one on :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You can barely get an entry level Rolex for that sort of money. Gives some perspective, doesn't it?
    It kinda does U and I think that this thought will creep more and more into buyer's minds. This is nothing against Rolex, entry level or not, but when someone's is paying many thousands more for a name alone, especially in the current hype I can't see that lasting. I can see the Speedy "special editions" going a similar way. Hublots will be seen as the entry level TAG of the 90's I suspect, but worse, a "fashion watch" like any other with that label only with seriously daft prices. Someone like Longines plundering their back catalogue for reissues would be fairly vulnerable too, save for the fact that cost of entry is significantly lower(plus they've been at it off and on since the 90's). Zenith's sales tapered right off when they upped their prices across the board, just cos.

I was over in the Mil watch sales forum earlier and an issued Blancpain Fifty Fathoms popped up. A few years back a 30K watch in the vintage world(add more for dealers), offered for 24.5k and after apparent interest didn't go anywhere now down to 21.

Now the trend was plain enough in a few areas, outside Rolex and Hodinkee price gouging, but this bloody virus could accelerate it. Sometimes recessions or the threat of them drives prices up as people look to non cash assets, but that hasn't happened in the watch world from what I can see?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

893bet wrote: »
    Last SOTC post
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057397596&page=7

The Omega speedmaster professional, it had never struck a cord with me. The most overrated “meh” watch ever. I actually really like looking at pictures of speedmasters, I think they are a great watch but the way people fawn over them makes me yawn. I think the fawning is partly down to the fact they were fairly good value for the quality of the time piece

Amazing collection 893bet and you certainly know your watches but I have to question you on this.

"The most overrated "meh" watch ever" ... really? People fawn over them because of there history, pedigree, bang for buck and astetics. Its fair enough that its not for you but you're way off the mark with those comments IMO.

Great, I feel much better now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Fitz II

sparrowcar wrote: »
    "The most overrated "meh" watch ever" ... really? People fawn over them because of there history, pedigree, bang for buck and astetics. Its fair enough that its not for you but you're way off the mark with those comments IMO.

Its an interesting one isnt it. I bought 893's moonwatch off him, and he warned me I would bore of it. I wore it a good bit, its a good watch, looks nice, people know what it is, not too expensive, good movement, good history, iconic design...whats not to like.

Didnt like it and bored of it (didnt gel with it, didnt love it however you want to put it) and it occupied wrist time I wanted to alot elsewhere. Sold it. Guy I sold it to kept it 2 days before selling it on again. I have seen it for sale twice more since then.

A lot of "top ten" lists and gurus suggest that any collection of worth should have a moonwatch, and maybe I was overly hyped about it, that this would bring balance to the force. I warned others on the forum that for me and a lot of people I know a moonwatch is easy come easy go, and got eaten alive.

At the end of the day, some people seem to really like gel with it and make it a cornerstone of their collections, some people use it as a one and done. Its a fine watch no doubt. But it would be odd to ignore the elephant in the room that a lot of collectors catch and release this one. There are 3 for sale on adverts at the moment. That it can garner such loyality from its fans is great.

People often say the Daytona is the most overrated watch, and it wear small. These are valid points.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Fitz II wrote: »
    At the end of the day, some people seem to really like gel with it and make it a cornerstone of their collections, some people use it as a one and done. Its a fine watch no doubt. But it would be odd to ignore the elephant in the room that a lot of collectors catch and release this one.
    Aye the Speedy seems to follow the above alright. It would be still right on top of my list of watches* though. Especially for a "one and done" for someone who wanted one "nice watch for life" type of person. I had one myself back in the late 90's and I flipped it quickly enough, but I think that's down to me not liking three register chronos in general. Would have been handy financially to have held onto it as it was a pre moon, but whatayagonna do? :)

*The Rolex Sub was another, but IMHO they're vastly overpriced these days.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Amazing collection 893bet and you certainly know your watches but I have to question you on this.

I know shag all but what I like!

Just find the speedmaster pro boring and unimaginative. Bit like the Rolex sub/explorer. Classic watches no doubt but a little dull. Lucky omega do 400 other versions and a lot of them have more character.

The speedmaster major selling point was it was good value IMO. Omega are eroding this USP. Must have almost doubled in RRP in the last 6 years or so it feels like.

Didnt like it and bored of it (didnt gel with it, didnt love it however you want to put it) and it occupied wrist time I wanted to alot elsewhere. Sold it. Guy I sold it to kept it 2 days before selling it on again. I have seen it for sale twice more since then.

A lot of "top ten" lists and gurus suggest that any collection of worth should have a moonwatch, and maybe I was overly hyped about it, that this would bring balance to the force. I warned others on the forum that for me and a lot of people I know a moonwatch is easy come easy go, and got eaten alive.

At the end of the day, some people seem to really like gel with it and make it a cornerstone of their collections, some people use it as a one and done. Its a fine watch no doubt. But it would be odd to ignore the elephant in the room that a lot of collectors catch and release this one. There are 3 for sale on adverts at the moment. That it can garner such loyality from its fans is great.

People often say the Daytona is the most overrated watch, and it wear small. These are valid points.

That’s pretty much it. Seems an almost rite of passage watch that collectors feel they must have and must like to be a watch collector..... “every collection needs a speedmaster”! Yet most collections move them on quick enough.

In any case horses for courses and they obviously have a large following.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I'm with Marge

Topical discussion on TZ.

Top results for most over rated does seem to be..........

Speedmaster, Daytona and Patek Aqua/Naut

upload.jpg

In the spirit of update season, no text sure you guys are sick of these watches at this stage. Wifes are the Datejust, the BB58 and the Cartier. Will bud hers off into a different box soon.

Incoming is a Solas. On wait list for new snoopy and a skydweller. No other plans at the moment. Fancy a gold IWC chrono but it would want to be cheap. Relaxed about collecting at the moment, pleased with my collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

Thats another savage collection. I'd give my left nut for the AP and JLC. I'm not really into speedies but I have to say that dark side of the moon is really really cool. Probably my next favourite there. Whats your plan when you get the snoopie? Are you going to keep the two of them? ...... just in case you are looking for a nut haha

Wifes are the Datejust, the Cartier, since last month the BB58 and soon probably also the Daytona.

FYP :eek:

Bit of a pattern there! :p:D

redlead wrote: »
    Thats another savage collection. I'd give my left nut for the AP and JLC. I'm not really into speedies but I have to say that dark side of the moon is really really cool. Probably my next favourite there. Whats your plan when you get the snoopie? Are you going to keep the two of them? ...... just in case you are looking for a nut haha

Not had the snoopie in hand so hard to tell, dont think I need two speedmasters, who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Cool box.

• Advertisement

It would be the Milgauss and JLC for me.

FYP :eek:

Bit of a pattern there! :p:D

Move her off to her own box definately. She start looking at the top shelf.

That AP, oozes class, even from a quick and dirty camera phone picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

In the spirit of update season, no text sure you guys are sick of these watches at this stage. Wifes are the Datejust, the BB58 and the Cartier. Will bud hers off into a different box soon.

Incoming is a Solas. On wait list for new snoopy and a skydweller. No other plans at the moment. Fancy a gold IWC chrono but it would want to be cheap. Relaxed about collecting at the moment, pleased with my collection.

Oh goodness - that puts the poor Starlight in pretty distinguished company (maybe you can have a separate box for Sólás) - though seeing the watch box gives me the heebies too - hopefully you've got that box in a safe in a vault somewhere! (Speaking as someone who had a Cartier, Speedy, Tag and (rolled)gold Waltham taken during a break in :( )

Maybe you can consider the Starlight as a tester to see if you'd like a Moser Perpetual, Lange Saxonia thin blue or Parmigiani Tonda galaxy (for the missus - aventurine, micro-rotor and a ring of diamonds on the bezel).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

That's terrible to hear Thirdfox

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Some really heavy hitting tasteful pieces here lately!

Presenting my very humble collection, minimal, but all I really need for now

Dress: Stowa Marine Classic 2801-2 Roman/Handwinding
    Sports: Sinn 104 ST SA I

531007.jpg

Still have an SKX007 not pictured which I don't really count, stock aside from Crafter Blue and flat sapphire. I may shift it on at some stage, rarely wear it, washing the car/DIY etc. not costing me anything to own, got it before the bubble.

Here is a pretty crummy picture of my lot, the watch box isnt amazing but it fits perfectly in the safe so it stays!!

Top Row:
    JLC 8 Day PC, VC Overseas Deep stream, Panerai 1313, Rolex GMT2C

Second Row:
    Must de cartier (wife), Gold Cartier Tank (wife), Gold ladies datejust on the president bracelet with factory diamond dial (wife!), IWC Portuguese chrono

I kinda envy my mrs she has all the watches she wants and both the gold ones are classics, she is done!

dLRCkec.jpg

That VC is proper lush. :eek: The JLC isn't exactly a burden to look at either. :)

That Panerai is shouting "come and get me!" to me :eek: :D

Beautiful collection. The gold president bracelet calls to me for some reason. See lads the trick to spending stupid money on watches is to get the wife into it too.

• Advertisement

Beautiful collection. The gold president bracelet calls to me for some reason. See lads the trick to spending stupid money on watches is to get the wife into it too.

Yeah I love it and it looks great on her, she has a more sallow complexion than me though !

Advertisement