Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

pjohnson wrote: »
    The left field "shock" part thats currently rumbling along would be the removal of Kvyat from the grid to allow for Vettel to move to RB to partner Max while Albon moves back to AlphaTauri with Gasly.

The rest sort of makes sense since they're all contracted for 2021

But damn you'd have to feel for Albon and Kvyat if that was to happen, while I'd like to see the others happen it probably can't without Vettel leaving Ferrari which surely won't happen without him having another seat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,217 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

But damn you'd have to feel for Albon and Kvyat if that was to happen, while I'd like to see the others happen it probably can't without Vettel leaving Ferrari which surely won't happen without him having another seat
    Albon and kyvat have both shown that they are not top drivers, having been lapped by Max on pace in the same car.
    I won't feel sorry for either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

The journalist that broke the Vettel leaving Ferrari news says Alonso will be confirmed this afternoon. Also hinting that there is an even bigger "silly season" shock to be announced tomorrow.

Vettel to leave Ferrari :(

ELM327 wrote: »
    Albon and kyvat have both shown that they are not top drivers, having been lapped by Max on pace in the same car.

Kvyat maybe since he had his full season in a RB, but Albon got drafted into a new car with what 3 weeks notice and outperformed Gasly who at least go a pre season to adjust to the car

He hasn't had a proper shot to try to match Max, it would be ruthless in the pursuit of someone who's probably the better driver right now in Vettel but seriously hard on Albon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Albon hasn't showed he's not a top driver. Any sensible person has to reserve judgement on albon for a while becayse he's showed great potential since joining the RB first team. He was on for 2 podiums in the Last 3 races.

In any case, has hasn't ruled himself out of being a top driver. More information needed to find out how good he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,217 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

So let's look at it another way. Who is most likely to score the most points this year and next year in the second RB car. Albon, Gasly, Kyvat or Seb?

I think its pretty certain that it is Seb?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,137 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yeah I think people are over-egging the "shock" part by trying to tie Red Bull into it.

I think it will just be the 2021 deals brought forward to next week instead of seasons end. Maaaaybe the "shock" might be that Vettel actually quits Ferrari tomorrow and wont race this weekend but I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,587 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Joeface wrote: »
    Stroll gets alot of hate , might not like the money behind him but you have to earn super license I thought .
    Also personaly think he is not too bad as drivers go. I believe He is one of the best starters in F1 with most places gains last year

I know starting down the grid give more chance for passing but he was doing it more than those around him .

https://f1bythenumbers.com/2019-f1-season-king-of-overtakes-part-1/

You see, right there is the problem, NOT TOO BAD is not good enough.

So let's look at it another way. Who is most likely to score the most points this year and next year in the second RB car. Albon, Gasly, Kyvat or Seb?

Considering he'd be jumping into a new car and his recent form, it's debatable. I wouldn't like to call it
    Yeah I think people are over-egging the "shock" part by trying to tie Red Bull into it.

I think it will just be the 2021 deals brought forward to next week instead of seasons end. Maaaaybe the "shock" might be that Vettel actually quits Ferrari tomorrow and wont race this weekend but I doubt it.

Seb would probably still get his 2020 money which I'm assuming is a fair wack, and he'd be the first name ready for the next top seat available if he was to leave F1 fully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

vectra wrote: »
    And you know this because??

His father just bought the team he is racing in. That's pretty solid job security unless he makes a right balls of it this year.

I think Vettel will take time off from F1, this years Ferrari looks like a dog (might be the worst one he has driven in recent years).

Delighted Alonso is back, not just for his skills but seeing how it annoys so many people as well :p

• Advertisement

He might be. He's also the most likely to crash most often and likely to cost multiples of the others combined wage. He's dreadful value for money.

I doubt they'll be inter in him unless he's willing do it for a token fee so he keeps on the grid and can get a drive elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭Harika

Albon could have won the race on Sunday, hard to see him being rotated out. If he would be trailing Max on an ongoing basis yes, but while he plays number 2 is not upset about getting upgrades a race after max, all good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Rumours going around Reddit that Ferrari want Vettel out ASAP due to all the negative press with the ballerina act he has been pulling and the SBinalla memes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

GarIT wrote: »
    Rumours going around Reddit that Ferrari want Vettel out ASAP due to all the negative press with the ballerina act he has been pulling and the SBinalla memes

Sainz to Ferrari this year then? Ricciardo to McLaren and Alonso back to Renault in 2020?

Sainz to Ferrari this year then? Ricciardo to McLaren and Alonso back to Renault in 2020?

I don't know how the rest of the chain works out. Lots of unfounded rumors going around, one of Hulk into Renualt for the rest of the season.

It somewhat depends on Sainz. Ricciardo is happy to go to McLaren tomorrow. Sainz might not be in a rush to hop into a worse car.

There was one source, I cant remember which, saying that Vettel had at least talked to Helmut Marko about taking the 2nd Red Bull seat. Albon has been beating the teams that can't compete at the front, and did a bit better than Gasly but hasn't been challenging the front teams when they don't have issues. Red Bull are quoted saying they want someone who can overtake and fight at the front.

It's all rumours and **** stirring at this point, we'll just have to see what happens.

Yep. Sainz is the key sticking point.

Both Ricciardo and Vettel have annoyed their current teams higher ups with comments made since their departures were announced and all 4 of those sides involved would be happy to make a break and fresh start ASAP. McLaren and Sainz arent really in a rush to make the change earlier however.

I got some actual quotes. Ferrari CEO says the F1 team "must act immediately" to rectify their performance.

Ralf Schumacher has called on Vettel to apologise to Ferrari "becasue this is not how it should be" in reference to Vettel's 5+ spins in the last 20 races.

A redditor claims that now brings Vettel up to more accidents per race since his accident in Hockenheim than Grosjean and Maldonado had when we were taking the piss out of them.

Webber says "It is clear the relationship was not healthy" between Vettel and Ferrari. And he recons his career isn't over "He has a chance to do something in 2022, who knows, maybe Red Bull for 2021."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Ralf Schumacher. Blast from the past.

If Vettel has his last race at Ferrari this weekend, I want an explosive exit. He takes Charlie L out of the race and proceeds to calls Binotto a wanker and tells him to go **** himself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Or he wins by a mile then they sack him on Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,718 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Peak ferrari

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Don't see why Red Bull would want Vettel back. They already have one of, if not the fastest driver on the grid. What they need is a solid number 2 that can finish within a place or 2 of him and not cause any arguments, and Albon is shaping up to fit that role pretty well.

Don't see why Red Bull would want Vettel back. They already have one of, if not the fastest driver on the grid. What they need is a solid number 2 that can finish within a place or 2 of him and not cause any arguments, and Albon is shaping up to fit that role pretty well.

They don't have ther car to win the constructors without two top tier drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    If Vettel has his last race at Ferrari this weekend, I want an explosive exit. He takes Charlie L out of the race and proceeds to calls Binotto a wanker and tells him to go **** himself.

If Vettel want a to go out with a bang, at least take the Mercs out first, then LeClerc before binning it from P1 on the last lap

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭weekaizer

BikeRacer wrote: »
    It's always difficult to compare 2 drivers when they drive different machinery, but Alonso and Hamilton did have the same car, so it's easy to compare.
    Hamilton beat him. In his rookie year, he beat a then 2 time world champion. Alonso wasn't the best driver in his team, let alone the grid.

They both finished on the same points with each having 4 victories to their name.
    The only teammate who has ever out scored Alonso on points was button in 2015 and only by 5 points. Not bad for a driver who competed in 17 full seasons.
    I’m happy to see him back in f1, excellent driver looking forward to hopefully seeing an improved Renault package in ‘22.

• Advertisement

Aaand Nimmervoll is currently getting rightfully shredded. It appears his "shock news" was his own theory about Vettel possibly joining Red Bull....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Joeface

Nice

"Formula 1 is expected to announce the next batch of 2020 race dates in the coming days with Mugello set to be the first new event on the updated schedule."

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/150436/mugello-to-be-confirmed-in-next-f1-calendar-update

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Mugello? Yes please. Hopefully it can get a more permanent place on the calendar instead of the likes of Paul Ricard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Mugello is a monster track, its almost old school in its layout. Seeing modern F1 cars in the double right turns at the far end of Mugello would be amazing... if even only the once.

Hopefully it can get a more permanent place on the calendar instead of the likes of Paul Ricard.

Paul Ricard circuit, made of tarmac and huge tube of aquafresh toothpaste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Paul Ricard circuit, made of tarmac and huge tube of aquafresh toothpaste.

Aye it looks hideous on the TV!

Inquitus wrote: »
    Aye it looks hideous on the TV!

The feedback must be almost unanimous on that. Amazing that they don't do anything about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Portimao, Portugal set to be confirmed also. Nice to see some new tracks for this season anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭BikeRacer

Christian Nimmervoll, the guy who claimed there would be some 'sensational news' today has back tracked...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,306 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

He may need a miracle for Ferrari for that to happen.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    He may need a miracle for Ferrari for that to happen.

All it would have taken this past Sunday is Bottas hitting a curb wrong in the last couple laps to hand Leclerc the win

Vettel openly saying if there was a drive offered by Red Bull, he'd take it.

https://twitter.com/F1/status/1281248284359655426

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,662 ✭✭✭quokula

What's the situation with the number of power unit components and gearboxes for the season given that they don't even know how many races there will be? How do the teams now how long each part needs to last?

Portimao should be good. If not the F2 race will be :p Mugello is an awful track for F1, even moreso with the current massive cars.

BikeRacer wrote: »
    Vettel openly saying if there was a drive offered by Red Bull, he'd take it.

I'm trying to imagine a meeting between Horner, Abiteboul, Zak Brown and Binotto

And them all asking Horner to take back Vettel so the deals can all commence, and the sh1t eating grin he would have

• Advertisement

If anyone watched the Netflix F1 documentary series (and you should), there was one scene where they asked Horner who was his favourite driver that he worked with, and obviously he was diplomatic and said something vague about the current ones, but his young daughter immediately chimed in in the background and said Vettel which was clearly the real answer.

Hardly surprising either, without Seb in the car previously, Red Bull would be a team with zero titles to their name. The car Vettel won his titles in was never good enough to claim second in the championship with another driver in the car.

Unlike Merc, and the current Ferrari management, I get the impression Red Bull are a team that are not afraid to have two top drivers. They've never really had team orders and their whole brand is around selling excitement and heroic drivers, rather than showing off their reliable and fuel efficient cars like the manufacturers. So it would make sense.

It would be a shame for Albon who's doing a decent job, but he hasn't been particularly close to Verstappen in reality and he's still young and has time to improve. It would be a crime for a driver like Vettel to not be in a top team while Albon and a third rate driver like Bottas are taking up top seats.

quokula wrote: »
    They've never really had team orders

Multi 21 aside

I agree Vettel not having a seat is a pity, but he has himself to blame with his performances last couple years for that as much as circumstances

Bottas is the best driver for the 2nd Mercedes seat, but probably not the 2nd best driver out there

Things weren't always smooth between Ricciardo and Max, and considering how things looked in 2019 I'm not sure Vettel and Max would end up any different than Vettel and Leclerc, Red Bull might well want to steer clear

Apparently Racing Point had approached Alonso to come drive for them, so if they're that serious about getting someone of that calibre (And either buying Perez out of contract or booting your own son out the door) I'd imagine Vettel has a seat there if he wants it.
    I also can't shake the feeling Toto will want to personally see his £8m Aston Martin investment put to good use.

So Ferrari upgrades, how much quicker do they make the car in a) Qualifying and b) Race. I am going to say 0.1s - 0.2s maximum.

Multi 21 aside

I agree Vettel not having a seat is a pity, but he has himself to blame with his performances last couple years for that as much as circumstances

Bottas is the best driver for the 2nd Mercedes seat, but probably not the 2nd best driver out there

Things weren't always smooth between Ricciardo and Max, and considering how things looked in 2019 I'm not sure Vettel and Max would end up any different than Vettel and Leclerc, Red Bull might well want to steer clear

Multi 21 kind of proves that they didn't have a team order philosophy given that it was them asking their top driver not to attack and overtake their second driver in order to preserve reliability. Mercedes or the current Ferrari management would have asked them to swap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

Sort some old boxes from the attic and I came across an old Jordan magazine, interesting page at the back showing grid position and finish or each of their drivers for 1st 12 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,718 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Portimao should be good. If not the F2 race will be :p Mugello is an awful track for F1, even moreso with the current massive cars.

Portimao has lots of elevation changes, more than Red Bull Ring, should test the suspensions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Interesting :- my information suggests these are on the same Astra satellite (19.2E) that currently carries RTL which is ceasing its FTA coverage at the end of this year. If so, Free To Air coverage continues, albeit in German!!

https://www.f1technical.net/news/225941

Interesting :- my information suggests these are on the same Astra satellite (19.2E) that currently carries RTL which is ceasing its FTA coverage at the end of this year. If so, Free To Air coverage continues, albeit in German.

Austria is showing it on Free to air for 2021, not sure if you can pick up these chans from Satellite?

https://www.racefans.net/2020/07/07/red-bull-owned-tv-channel-to-broadcast-f1-in-austria/#:~:text=Red%20Bull%2Downed%20television%20channel,free%2Dto%2Dair%20television.&text=Servus%20TV%20and%20ORF%20have,year%20deal%20beginning%20next%20year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Interesting :- my information suggests these are on the same Astra satellite (19.2E) that currently carries RTL which is ceasing its FTA coverage at the end of this year. If so, Free To Air coverage continues, albeit in German!!

I watched the grand prix on RTL at the weekend. I think I counted 7 or 8 ad breaks. 4 of them were before any ad breaks. It was the most frustrating viewing ever!!! Worse than anything on ITV ever had.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement