Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

antodeco wrote: »
    I was at this race!
    Scorching temperatures. Scorching race.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Scorching temperatures. Scorching race.

Just went through the photos I took at the race. Hit 41 degrees!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭g1983d

flazio wrote: »
    I'd be pretty peeved off if I were one of the other midfield teams, or Williams. Why would Liberty Media give one specific team help in signing a driver over other teams?

Yeah, not very fair, I'm sure they will package it up as him having 2 jobs or something, paid by liberty to promote f1 and paid by renault to drive

• Registered Users Posts: 20,078 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

g1983d wrote: »
    Yeah, not very fair, I'm sure they will package it up as him having 2 jobs or something, paid by liberty to promote f1 and paid by renault to drive

It's a slippery slope. Good idea in principle to help a team get a big name driver back in the sport. It could be the difference between Renault pulling out or being in the sport with alonso.

How long until they are subsidising Ferrari driver's pay as aatyer of course?

Interesting posint rased on the chequered flag podcast. What of the drivers who got promotions for 2021, don't beat their teammates this year? What if Ric struggles with Ocon? What if Vettel beats LeClerc? What if norris beats sainz? It would be interesting heading into 2021.

Andrew Benson says Alonso to Renault is likely. Not suggesting itsna done deal ot anything, he reckons it's definitely a potential runner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

antodeco wrote: »
    I was at this race!

Me too. Absolute scorcher. I was at my sisters wedding (2 week holiday) in Benalmadena and flew up from Malaga with my nephew the night before. We only brought hand luggage so couldn't bring bottles of suncream on the flight. Ended up paying €14 for a bottle of suncream near the track, used it at the race and had to throw it in the bin before getting the flight back down to Malaga.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Interesting posint rased on the chequered flag podcast. What of the drivers who got promotions for 2021, don't beat their teammates this year? What if Ric struggles with Ocon? What if Vettel beats LeClerc? What if norris beats sainz? It would be interesting heading into 2021.

Andrew Benson says Alonso to Renault is likely. Not suggesting itsna done deal ot anything, he reckons it's definitely a potential runner.

I think Alonso back to F1 is taking a step back for the sport and pointless.
    He will just be in another midfield team and moaning about it. Extremely overrated driver that brings nothing to the sport anymore. Would much rather a younger driver get a promotion like George Russell as he won’t be taking a jump from Williams to Mercedes directly.

TCP/IP wrote: »
    I think Alonso back to F1 is taking a step back for the sport and pointless.
    He will just be in another midfield team and moaning about it. Extremely overrated driver that brings nothing to the sport anymore. Would much rather a younger driver get a promotion like George Russell as he won’t be taking a jump from Williams to Mercedes directly.

I completely agree. But I don't agree Alonso was overrated as he was excellent in his prime, but if people are expecting him to be anywhere near his best at 40, then they're overrating him.

Much prefer to see a young driver get the seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

Yeah really don't get the attraction of a the Renault drive to Alonso. They look like a team going nowhere fast and Renault imo should really switch their brand focus to electrification. Good points raised above that he is unlikely to be near his peak at his age. We already have a similar precedent for this with Schumi's come back.

That Valencia 2012 race really was fantastic. Alonso's performance that season really was something. Such a shame he didn't take the title.

Had forgotten the Maldonado Hamilton crash :) Personally I have a lot of sympathy for Maldonado for that incident. I've never understand why the rules allow the guy on the inside to effectively run the guy on the outside straight off the track. While he shouldn't have done it, I completely understand my Pastor charged back onto the track in the way he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I loved this race a lot, remember jumping out of my seat when Vettel retired.

• Advertisement

The way they talked about it at the end of the chequered flag podcast was that these deals that came so close together means they were in the works for weeks and probably months already if Vettel doesn't have a Renault deal already then he's probably out whether he wants to retire or not. It sounds like ferrari weren't even willing to offer anything like a deal he would consider and hhy never even had a serious discussion. Sounds like they told him thwy want a no.2 driver on those terms who would and wanted to pay no2 money LeClerc is on about 10m a year now so probably considerably less than $10m. So they didn't even have serious discussions.

Apart from Vettel being teribel value for money at $30m while LeClerc beat him on $1.3m last year (less than 5% of Vettel's pay). Ricciardo must be the next most poor value for money on about 5 times hulk's salary and being close on points at the end of the season (though Ric finished ahead).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I just don't understand why Alonso would want to come back with Renault. He's stated many times that he would only come back to a winning team, and there's almost zero chance of Renault being that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

All this streaming malarky has overtaken Charles Leclerc's life. He was busy streaming Dirt Rally on Twitch, didn't see his phone and his girlfriend, who couldn't get in their apartment, left him a tonne of missed calls/messages.

She had to buy a subscription to his Twitch channel to ask him to open the door :pac:

https://clips.twitch.tv/DullDarlingGrassPMSTwin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

Glico Man wrote: »
    All this streaming malarky has overtaken Charles Leclerc's life. He was busy streaming Dirt Rally on Twitch, didn't see his phone and his girlfriend, who couldn't get in their apartment, left him a tonne of missed calls/messages.

She had to buy a subscription to his Twitch channel to ask him to open the door :pac:

https://clips.twitch.tv/DullDarlingGrassPMSTwin

With a very good pair of headsets on you will not know if a bomb went off outside.
    Ive had people call to my house and not a clue they where at the door until later in the day when you see the missed calls.
    Now if I had leclerc's girlfriend calling I'd probably be butt naked waiting at the door

• Registered Users Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

He will not have her for much longer as his girlfriend if he keeps this up. How long does he spend on that thing? Can not be good for him if its hours on end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Killinator

AMKC wrote: »
    He will not have her for much longer as his girlfriend if he keeps this up. How long does he spend on that thing? Can not be good for him if its hours on end.

He probably spends half his life in a simulator anyway when working so it probably makes no difference

• Registered Users Posts: 23,345 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

AMKC wrote: »

She plays it herself too. She was playing the game herself in the background of one of his videos and distracted him when she took out Vettel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭rock22

….
    . Sounds like they told him thwy want a no.2 driver on those terms who would and wanted to pay no2 money LeClerc is on about 10m a year now so probably considerably less than $10m. So they didn't even have serious discussions.

Ferrari got a 4 times champion and managed to turn him into a losing driver.

Some perspective in this video of Vettels time at Ferrari

rock22 wrote: »
    Ferrari got a 4 times champion and managed to turn him into a losing driver.

Some perspective in this video of Vettels time at Ferrari

Or maybe Vettel simply isn't god enough to win a championship in a non dominant car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Or maybe Vettel simply isn't god enough to win a championship in a non dominant car.

I wonder would Lewis have won so much in th Ferrari I really don't know.

• Advertisement

Just to put things in perspective, Ferrari have had 2 world champions in the last 40 years. The Schumacher years were an aberration.

Of course he wouldn't. How could he?

He probably would have won the championship in 2018. Vettel really ballsed that up. That was the season he went off the rails starting by crashing out of the lead in Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,305 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Just to put things in perspective, Ferrari have had 2 world champions in the last 40 years. The Schumacher years were an aberration.

Harsh.
    Since start of schumacher era they have been competitive in 97 and 98. Could have easily won 99. Were dominate 00 to 2004. Fought with alonso for 05 and 06. Kimi won 07.
    Massa won 08 for a few seconds.
    Alonso close in 10 and 12 and now relatively competitive again for last few seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭Infoanon

mickdw wrote: »
    Harsh.
    Since start of schumacher era they have been conpetitive in 97 and 98. Could have easily won 99. Were dominate 00 to 2004. Fought with alonso for 05 and 06. Kimi won 07.
    Massa won 08 for a few seconds.
    Alonso close in 10 and 12 and now relatively conpetitive again for last few seasons.

Would have been champions in '82 until tragedy intervened and came close in '85 ,Prost battled Senna in '90 and then Ferrari lost its way for a number of years.

Vettel was more likely to hinder Leclerc title ambitions then win a WC for Ferrari - right decisive decision made.

Lots of close but no cigar examples given. At the end of the day it took Schumacher for them to break a 20 year drought and since the year after he left they haven't won another in over a decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,672 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Alonso to renault now heavily mooted.

No.

While I rate him more highly than Vettel, his statistics are also exaggerated by him being in a dominant car for so long. Nevertheless i reckon he would have managed a couple of championships with Ferrari if his and Vettel's positions were reversed for the past 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,775 ✭✭✭kksaints

Of course he wouldn't. How could he?

He probably would have won the championship in 2018. Vettel really ballsed that up. That was the season he went off the rails starting by crashing out of the lead in Germany.

I thought it was more 2017 that they messed up with the crash in Singapore and the engine failures in Japan and Malaysia. In 2018 the Mercedes was slower in qualification but faster on race pace in the second half of the season which was never really highlighted by the likes of Benson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

ELM327 wrote: »
    Alonso to renault now heavily mooted.

Also being heavily mooted that liberty are going to pay most / all of his salary.

I really don't understand why liberty are so hell bent on getting him back onto the grid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Also being heavily mooted that liberty are going to pay most / all of his salary.

I really don't understand why liberty are so hell bent on getting him back onto the grid.
    And if true, how can they possibly justify giving a chunk of cash to just one team? Or are they going to compensate all teams to the same amount? Kinda flies in the face of the budget cap trying to create a more even playing field.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement