Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your daily forecasts from Boards.ie weather forum (NO CHAT)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Ahorseofaman

Sonovagun wrote: »
    Where's the snow storm you predicted?
    all forecasts are done using current available information,a wealth of knowledge and (I think)a gut instinct based on years of experience.Current information can change within the hour but if you took the trouble to look back through MT's forecast you will find that he is uncannily accurate most of the the time.However he is not nor has he ever claimed to be God.Although even God got it wrong sometimes,look at the platypus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

How rude! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

MT gives probably the best advice and forecasts here and is always up-front with everything. To post a comment like that is at best disrespectful to MT and indeed all the other top-notch weather enthusiasts here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,360 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

No worries, the errors are probably a mixture of over-estimation in some cases, and model error today (had the models been right for today when those forecasts were issued, I'm sure it would have been snowing across the southeast, the low that was shown going into south Wales ended up in northwest France. People in northern France are getting buried in snow today, just check "meteociel.fr" and look at the observations that come up on the map. Everyone north of Paris is talking about 20-25 cms of snow.

I appreciate the positive comments too. But I'm not too worried about taking some flak as long as it doesn't happen very often, the goal is of course to have it happen never, but as someone comments in another thread (I think), I don't claim 100% accuracy or superhuman powers (outside of my social life, of course). I would mention the long-range forecast as being reasonably accurate so far, in fact with any luck it may continue to do really well, and that's what I'm really working at, the short-range application is mostly to keep focus on the research (in other words, to give me a reason to keep watching very carefully, otherwise in this sort of research you tend to focus mostly on very large-scale features and miss a lot of detail.)

By the way, forecast update ... 06z GFS sides with my concern about no substantial warming trend, in fact, it looks quite cold all the way through to the end of its run on 4 Jan now with a ridge holding the mild air back at Christmas, and one time after that, before building up strongly again as the Atlantic goes totally back to sleep after this little stumbling around episode at Christmas. Unreal looking patterns this winter that only our ancestors saw (except they didn't, not being on the internet).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

MT, just wanted to say thanks again for giving your time to forecasting and updating for us EVERYDAY!. Much appreciated :)

• Advertisement

MUSEIST wrote: »
    I agree that M.T is excellent and nearly always right but the original poster has every right to ask what happened to the widespread disruptive snow. I know the models are to blame but when several people (not just MT) predict big snowfall and absolutely nothing happens people have a rigt to be peeved. There is a reason they are conservative at met eireann.
    Everybody has indeed a right to ask but a bit of thought should go into how the question is put. As for widespread disruptive snow, take a look at Northern Ireland, Donegal, Ulster as a whole, Connaught, parts of the midlands and the south west. There has been disruption on a massive scale with heavy snow even if Dublin was by and large unaffected up to now.

I take a look in here when I get the chance and when I see something that looks to me like it could have been put a wee bit better, I will make a comment on it.

Thanks folks, I must admit that my day has been largely non-weather-dominated to this point and I have no new thoughts about the short term yet, just getting back into it now.

This experiment of mine, essentially "what would happen if one person just took two years and followed the weather non-stop?" has had its risks and rewards. The risks are, burnout, tunnel vision, possible health complications, integration into normal routines which believe it or not still go on and involve all sorts of hi-jinks such as rounds of golf, poker sessions (live as well as some internet) and round the world yacht cruise (made that up). I also maintain threads on political forums and make a nuisance of myself all over cyberspace.

Rewards are, making a lot of friends, achieving a fairly high personal standard of forecasting (that much I can tell, comparisons to other sources difficult for me to assess because I don't hear as much as you might). Many rewards in the research department, when I say two years, I really mean five years at a less brutal pace for a much smaller forum in the UK and fairly frequent visits to Net-weather but with no forecasting routine there. Also, I have been about that active on an American forum where I am surrounded by meteorologists as well as enthusiasts. It's a rich gene pool there, maybe too rich at times.

Only a complete madman would even contemplate doing this, which is how I came up with my username. But now that I've been doing it, I find that I can handle it. The question of rest and shared load come to mind -- rest of course, I can just unilaterally declare myself to be AWOL and let the chips fall where they may. When on holiday this past summer, I got some able assistance from a couple of guys on the forum, plus it was summer and not that stressful. When the weather in Ireland gets to be partly cloudy for a week or two, as it can, then hardly anyone cares that much what the forecast is, they might come and read it, but they wouldn't worry about it much. I think in the new year I might start to look at restructuring this thread to bring in extra assistance on some routine basis, so I can let it go for a day or two every week. There are at least half a dozen forum regulars that I would feel comfortable working with on that basis, so if you suspect you're one of them, clear your inbox (or block it :D ).

Now I am wandering off to see what the 18z GFS has in mind and think about a forecast update in general. See you then.

Steve wrote: »
    Moving on, keep up the great work MT, you're playing a stormer as we'd say in Ireland :D
    Puntastic :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Sonovagun

If people want to take my question as me being disrepectful to MT so be it! But at the end of the day it was just a question. I should have known people where going to twist it.

Almost an Update _ Sunday, 2230h

Even the most reliable guidance (like HIRLAM) is changing every three to six hours on small details. At the moment, I am left thinking that sea effect streamers are gaining in potential for east coast counties, while travelling lows to the south are weakening in potential for snow in the inland southeast -- but then if the streamers get particularly strong they can reach the inland southeast. This applies in particular to tomorrow for streamers and Tuesday for hit or miss coastal snow in the south.

So I don't consider this an update, just a reminder of a continuing series of slight or even moderate chances for snow, which would seem to include some fairly robust streamers now making landfall around Dublin. These are likely to keep going for several hours before dying out, then perhaps reloading on Monday.

It will certainly continue bitterly cold in most areas tonight with Ballyhaise already at -12 C and even colder in parts of Ulster.

The odds on the Christmas to 27th period having a warmup are about 50-50 but that's for any warmup including a partial one that only reaches the south. The most likely outcome in my view would be for bitter cold to try to hold on in the north all day 25th, with sleet or snow possible across parts of the south, then for these bands to move north on the 26th with rain likely in the southwest, followed by a gradual weakening of the fronts and a slow return to colder weather over a day or two. There is some potential here for a snowfall of quite large amounts if the front were both strong and slow-moving. This will become our prime focus, I think, as we approach Christmas Day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭Calibos

If people want to take my question as me being disrepectful to MT so be it! But at the end of the day it was just a question. I should have known people where going to twist it.

Well you could have phrased it a bit better. As it stands it reads like someone standing there with hands on hips and in a sarcastic voice saying, "So what happened to the big storm you predicted, Hmmmm??

A less ambiguous way of phrasing it while still being informal would have been, "Hey, MT, whatever happened to the Storm you predicted, is it still on, postponed...What happened to it?"

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭oterra

Calibos wrote: »
    Well you could have phrased it a bit better. As it stands it reads like someone standing there with hands on hips and in a sarcastic voice saying, "So what happened to the big storm you predicted, Hmmmm??

A less ambiguous way of phrasing it while still being informal would have been, "Hey, MT, whatever happened to the Storm you predicted, is it still on, postponed...What happened to it?"

I dont think Sonovagun meant any disrespect in his tone but the question of course could have been structured differently considering the respect we all have fo MT in the Weather boards.
    Maybe now would be a good time to draw a line in the sand and discuss whats important to the contributors and readers in here:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

A perfectly valid question (I fail to see how it could be interpreted as rude?). Be interesting to hear an analysis of what happened vs what was predicated as they seem quite out of kilter (in some regions).

Edit, not looking to further the "rudeness" thing, more interested in why the models get it so wrong kind of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

This thread is for forecasts only, no bickering or arguments. Any off topic posts will be deleted without warning and people who repeatedly chose to post off topic posts here will ultimately be banned.
    There is a cold spell discussion thread open where questions may be asked.

Monday, 20 December, 2010

TODAY will continue very cold with scattered outbreaks of light snow in the east and southwest, rather cloudy through the southeast, widespread ice fog central and north slow to lift, allowing severe cold to continue in some places.

Highs will vary from about -6 C in ice fog, to -2 C under cloud, except closer to +3 C in far southwest where sleet or rain may mix in with snow.

Some chance of locally heavy snow streamers in the Dublin, Meath and north Wicklow coastal regions, although not starting until mid-morning or mid-day. Watch for updates.

TONIGHT will be partly cloudy and very cold with some pockets of severe cold in central and northern counties, locally, lows may fall once again to about -15 C with ice fog and icy roads, but a more widespread figure would be -10 C. Around the coasts, closer to -7 C but in the far south -2 C. Some snow developing and moving slowly east across the south. Potential for 3-6 cms snow. Streamers could continue in the east at times. Similar potential amounts.

TUESDAY, there is some risk of moderate or heavy snowfalls in the south, southeast and east. Watch for updates later today, as this situation continues to develop. Winds increasing there to ENE 15-25 mph. Further north, high cloud with some sunshine through patchy ice fog, highs ranging from -5 C north to -1 C south.

WEDNESDAY to FRIDAY are expected to remain very cold, with slight risks of snow in east and southeast each day, more chances for sunshine in west and north each day, and similar temperature ranges. The colder north, central and inland west will have lows of -15 to -10 C (and there is a risk of even more severe temperatures that could threaten all-time records over deeper snow). The east, southeast and south will be somewhat more cloudy in general but if it clears at all there, lows could also drop below -10 C locally; however, -6 C would be a more likely average. The daytime highs in general will remain below freezing to slightly above in a few south coast and west coast locations. Some scenarios give a risk of heavy snow or even sleet and freezing rain by Christmas Eve (evening).

SATURDAY (Christmas Day) will almost certainly be milder to some extent, but our forecast will not definitively change to anything beyond mixed sleety precipitation that could be rain in the southwest, sleet south central and west coast, ice or snow further north and east, with increasing southeast winds and temperatures rising to about 4 C south, 0 C north. Some range around that is quite possible, including a faster thaw, or a more stubborn cold regime with the potential for snow.

FURTHER OUTLOOK ... Some chance of a general thaw, we await a more definite set of signals ... there is a chance this thaw will be held back and even some risk of a snowstorm as the alternative outcome.

WEATHER FOR MTC TODAY was partly cloudy and a bit milder, highs near 6 or 7 C.

Sorry we're running a bit late, have had a lengthy computer virus cleanout that went longer than expected. Updates when and if possible, check the usual threads too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

trogdor wrote: »
    This thread is for forecasts only, no bickering or arguments. Any off topic posts will be deleted without warning and people who repeatedly chose to post off topic posts here will ultimately be banned.
    There is a cold spell discussion thread open where questions may be asked.

Why not make MT a weather forum moderator? It's basically his thread anyway, that way he can open and close the thread as he likes.

It's okay, I think the situation is fine, a little chatter never hurt anyone. Got lots to do already no doubt, without being a moderator too. But once this active weather period ends, we'll have time to design some appropriate threads and keep the chat out of this thread.

Serenity now:

515166.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,513 ✭✭✭Speak Now

M.T......go to bed :D

No worries, I am about to do just that ... looks like Dublin streamers are getting riled up and electrical, might be a sign that marginal situations are about to become snow producers rather than snow with-holders.

But I shall leave the details to the many weather forum regulars who seem to be on hand. Note my comment in chat thread about full moon setting in eclipse Tuesday morning, you'll need clear skies and a good view of the northwest horizon to see this but at a decent time, after 0700 (full moon at 0813 GMT, but best view probably closer to 0745 given the angles).

UPDATE _ Monday, 8 p.m.

Adding these details to the existing forecast.

Locally heavy snow is likely to continue in some parts of Meath, Dublin and Wicklow with 10-20 cms more overnight in some places. Our discussion threads have the best details on when and where, also watch for renewed thundersnow around midnight especially.

This east coast activity may spread further inland at times and could begin to merge with weak outbreaks of light snow near the south coast later tonight. This merged activity could give highly variable amounts to the southeast, with local 5-10 cms possible but this will probably turn into a radar watch type event.

Also, some 2-5 cm snowfalls appear likely in Donegal and north Mayo overnight from hit or miss snow showers in weaker sea-effect streamers moving towards the southwest.

As the existing forecast says, tomorrow looks a bit more conducive to snow across the south at least on a sporadic basis, but east coast streamer activity could continue and there is some chance of this turning into a heavy sustained snowfall event lasting into Wednesday. Later updates may address this possibility. The model guidance is inconclusive on that, not ruling it out or making it too obvious either. (mothers don't let yer sons grow up to be forecasters ... )

All of the above suggests that bitterly cold night temperatures may get squeezed into smaller zones inland but these will likely continue the next few nights and the bitter cold could intensify before the spell terminates or fades out. On that question, no change in my thinking, I am seeing a lot of weaknesses in the rapid warming scenario for 25-26 Dec and would stress caution as this seems like less than a sure bet to me ... any outcome between a partial thaw and mixed precip, to sustained cold and possible snow, remain on the table. Some models led by the UKMO show this but also, the general climatology of this situation and past unhappy experiences of the forecasting world with stubborn cold hanging on would suggest caution. Of course, it could just go to a quick thaw, that remains a possible outcome. There are such mixed signals that it seems prudent to say that this rapid thaw is more or less of a toss-up.

A reminder that the Moon sets in total eclipse at around 0745 to 0815 Tuesday, for the few who might have clear skies at that time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Legend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

M.T do you think we will get any more snow in N Kerry in the next few days.....I want a white Christmas :o

Tuesday, 21 December, 2010

Moon is setting in eclipse that reaches totality around 0730 and peaks at 0817 (at which time Moon would be close to northwest horizon in western Ireland ... check it out if you have a patch of clear skies in that direction.)

ALERT for snow, with some areas of heavy snow including some thunder-snow, as well as a few heavy hail showers, in both western and eastern Ireland today, with these areas partially merging across the south later. Amounts will be highly variable as streamers are the main component in the east. Wicklow and north Wexford could continue to get more heavy snow and increase from current 10-15 cms to 25-30 cms or more. Dublin and Meath could increase from 5-10 cms in some parts to 10-20 (less where no cover yet). Inland southeast could start to see 5-10 cms, and south coast about 2-5 cms. Kerry and parts of west Limerick, west Cork, Clare and west Galway could see 5-15 cms, with some mixing to sleet near sea level. In all cases, some thunder-snow possible. Donegal, Mayo and east Ulster are on watch for possible later snow streamers. Also, ALERT for ice fog, widespread icy roads, severe cold in many central counties between the snowfall areas, readings of -12 to -15 C possible, ice fog not dissipating much in valleys.

TODAY ... Be sure to check the alerts above, because in this section, I will just summarize and say areas of snow in east, southeast, and southwest, also west Connacht. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, ice fog, severe cold. Some hazy sunshine in north at times. Highs generally -2 to -5 C. Check alerts section for snowfall amounts. Winds light in north, moderate NE across the southeast and moderate SSE near west coast. Watch for updates on snowfall distribution and amounts.

TONIGHT ... Snow may continue in the south and southeast, east, but less of a factor in the west, as clearing may spread that way. Severe cold elsewhere with ice fog and very icy roads. Lows -6 to -10 C on average but as low as -15 C in some clear spots.

WEDNESDAY ... Periods of snow still quite possible in southeast, otherwise, partly cloudy to sunny except for ice fog, very cold. Lows -6 to -12 C for most, -15 C or lower possible central and north. Highs -4 to -1 C. Winds fairly light but NE 10-20 mph at times.

THURSDAY ... Still could see the occasional snow streamer in east, flurries elsewhere, but mainly dry and cold with some sunshine, ice fog. See previous day for temperature ranges.

FRIDAY ... Continuing very cold with some light snow in east, southeast at times. Considerable sunshine further west and north. Temperatures continuing in similar range to previous two days or slightly colder for some places in early morning due to clear skies and very strong high pressure.

CHRISTMAS DAY (Saturday) ... Bitterly cold to start, clear and cold in some northern areas, clouding over across south, west, raw southeast winds, risk of snow developing, could change to sleet or freezing rain late in day in the southwest. Temperatures slowly rising from well below freezing to near or slightly above freezing.

SUNDAY (St. Stephen's Day) ... This is still very much of a puzzler with the models ranging from snow to cold and dry to sleet, fog, rain ... so what to believe? ... placing my marker on snow mixing with sleet for now. We'll keep a close watch on this. Potentially, it could warm up considerably in southwest but stay very cold in Ulster, with bands of mixed precip in between. That would involve a lot of bad weather, fog, ice and snow, also thawing and flooding in some areas. But it may not get that mild so the results may be more along the lines of a snowfall event.

OUTLOOK ... If it does turn milder, it will be brief and not very mild before cold air returns from the east before New Years. It could conceivably never get much milder than 2-4 C before that happens.

MTC's WEATHER TODAY ... (Mon 20 Dec) ... Cloudy, cool, sleet at times but not much accumulation, highs near 4 C and winds ESE 20-30 mph.

WX HIGHLIGHTS ... Snow across northern plains states, rather cold north and east of that, but quite mild in the central plains, 15-20 C in some places.

Watch for updates both here and in discussion threads.

UPDATE _ Tuesday, 6 p.m.

The large-scale forecast remains valid ... here are some updated details.

The heavy snowfall ALERT remains in place for Dublin, Wicklow and parts of MEATH and is extended to significant snow in Kildare, Carlow, Wexford and possibly parts of Louth, Laois, Tipps, Kilkenny, Waterford. Further snowfall amounts now into Wednesday (and possibly Thursday in some cases) could easily double existing snowfalls, and bring additional 20-40 cms of snow to some parts of this region. For the counties being added to the alert, new amounts of 5-15 cms likely and 10-20 cms possible. Coverage may not be complete with gaps in the snowfall as it moves further inland. Some flurries may develop further inland and in parts of Ulster where 2-5 cms could fall in some eastern counties eventually.

Meanwhile, the southwest (mainly inland Kerry and west Cork) may continue to see a few more centimetres of snow but this area is slowly degrading and seems likely to pull out to sea (southeastward) fairly soon -- city of Cork may escape this snowfall -- but eventually there could be further activity from the eastern source spreading that way in the next 36 hours, amounts likely to be small.

Most other parts of the existing forecast still valid, my thoughts on Christmas Day and the two or three days afterwards have not really changed and I honestly don't think the models have that much of a handle on the situation yet, so I am reluctant to keep changing with them until I see better indications of a real trend. It makes sense to me that temperatures would rise at least slightly for 2-4 days some time between Christmas and New Years Eve then fall back in the new year with renewed blocking and the additional influence of very cold air masses moving west through northern Europe. The chances of a very significant thaw and even flooding have to be considered but I'm not ready to declare this "on" at this time.

Watch for further updates as required.

UPDATE _ Tuesday, 10:30 p.m.

No big changes in the existing forecast ... somewhat milder air has made it ashore in Dublin yet at any time the regional land breeze could push back into the mix and this could set off thunder-snow, particularly well after midnight towards 0300h perhaps. Snowfall rates could become quite prodigious were that to happen. I think our existing forecast and alert issued earlier would remain valid but some places will get less, some more than the range being mentioned. The inland progress of the snow appears to be slow but steady and parts of Tipps and Waterford may be seeing slight accumulations later on.

I continue to foresee periods of accumulating snow at any time almost right up to Thursday afternoon when a general clearing is likely due to stronger high pressure. Thursday night could be very cold in areas that have only seen moderate cold so far, as a result.

The other main question is the sequence of events after Christmas, because it now appears more settled that Christmas Day will be cold and dry, with perhaps some snow breaking out later in the day in the south and west mainly. The latest guidance from the 18z GFS, not always the forecaster's favourite (you may know that we call it the pub run) is increasingly resistant to any real warming. The cold high stays very near to the North Sea throughout the period where warmer air is trying to move east, and this is reinforcing my belief that cold air could hang on for a long time despite some advance of milder air into perhaps Kerry and nearby parts of other counties during the night of 26-27 December. I'm afraid this is a perfect recipe for outbreaks of every type of precipitation, ranging from heavy snow to ice pellets, sleet, freezing rain and cold rain which as we all know by now is just freezing rain under a different name for its similar impact on roads and pavements.

Therefore, the only real certainty is uncertainty. I could add some even more obscure efforts but the long and short of it is that one might want to count on very inclement weather hanging on for days as the milder air tries, perhaps with limited success, to move in.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Tae laidir

'The chances of a very significant thaw and even flooding have to be considered but I'm not ready to declare this "on" at this time.'

Significant thaw (or snow) is not a phenomenon we are used to, and I am sure you have experience in Canada. Given the large amount of snow about, including the unmelted snow from earlier in the month on the Wicklow Mountains, what type of temperatures, timeframes & rainfall amounts should we be watching out for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭BlancheSparks

Can you put more detail in about south west. We have just had 8" of snow here in South Kerry.... I was just about to set out for town(15 miles) today because the roads had improved, and I need supplies. I looked at the sky to the North west and it was obviously snowing in the distance. Fortunately I didnt go or I would have stuck there. It snowed all day.
    Will I be able to get out of here on 26th do you think, to travel up to Kilkenny?
    Not really moaning, I really look forward to your forecasts.:o

Wednesday, 22 December, 2010

TODAY ... While snow has largely ended over the southeast as of 0630h, there remains potential for it to resume at times by late morning and afternoon, in a few streamers coming inland from Meath south to Wexford. Some further snowfalls then may be anticipated but amounts may be much less than yesterday. Watch for updates with estimates of new snowfall amounts. Otherwise, most of the country will have clear to partly cloudy skies over top of any layers of low-level cloud and ice fog, and the sun should break through in most places from time to time. Very cold for most with highs only -5 to -1 C (possibly a bit higher near east coast if streamers develeop). Winds will increase somewhat to NE 15-25 mph in exposed areas although central valleys will remain mostly calm. A few flurries giving 2-3 cms could hit parts of Donegal and north Mayo also.

TONIGHT ... Generally clear and very cold with widespread ice fog, but northwest counties will be cloudy with a few periods of light snow, and some streamers may still be active near Dublin and Wicklow. Lows will once again be well down into the -10 to -15 C range except where winds are onshore, and there closer to -5 C.

THURSDAY ... A weak trough may bring scattered flurries near north and east facing coasts, and otherwise partly cloudy with some sunny intervals, quite cold again with highs generally -4 to +1 C.

FRIDAY ... Early morning severe cold, possibly reaching -18 C over snow fields and -12 C even out towards the coast in some areas. Widespread ice fog likely, that may not clear all day in some places. Weak sunshine for other regions. A stray flurry possible, but largely dry. Highs -7 to -2 C.

SATURDAY, CHRISTMAS DAY ... For Ulster, Connacht, Leinster and east Munster, expect a dry start with some sunshine in the morning, extremely cold inland, some ice fog; by afternoon, cloudy, some light snow possible as winds pick up to SE 15-25 mph. Morning lows about -12 C to -7 C and afternoon highs -3 C to +2 C ... for West Munster, cloudy with outbreaks of light snow or sleet, possibly becoming rather heavy at times, morning lows about -8 C around midnight, highs reaching -2 to +4 C. Winds increasing to SE 20-35 mph.

SUNDAY, ST STEPHEN'S DAY ... Cloudy, some fog or ice fog, snow in parts of Ulster, Leinster, inland Connacht, freezing rain a risk for later in central counties, possibly turning to a cold rain in south and southwest. Temperatures slowly rising all day and could reach +1 C in Ulster, +3 C central and +7 C southwest. Winds SSE 20-40 mph. There remains some risk that this forecast, based on current model consensus, might change to more of a cold/snow scenario in general. Watch for updates.

MONDAY 27th ... Possibly milder with some thaw conditions in west and south. Heavier snow fields in Connacht and Leinster not likely to thaw or melt very quickly but this could lead to fog and widespread slushy conditions. Once again, this is perhaps 70% likely, the other 30% chance would involve less warmth and something like sleet or wet snow hanging on. But for now, we'll go with a general temperature range of about 3-7 C east and north to 6-9 C south and west.

OUTLOOK ... A few more relatively mild days should lead to clearer roads and pavements, with any luck, and slow melting of lying snow. There would be some light rainfalls, possibly sleet or wet snow over north on higher terrain, and highs generally in the 5-8 C range. This is likely to end some time around the New Year with another cold outbreak from either the northeast or the north to northwest. Details should be clearer by about the 27th on that next cold spell.

MTC's local weather ... Cloudy here on Tuesday 21st, some light rain by this evening, and a bit milder with high of 8 C.

WX HIGHLIGHTS ... A severe storm hit eastern Canada, this being the one being tracked across the Atlantic for possible warming trends over the holidays. The effects in Nova Scotia, PEI and New Brunswick were mostly rain and strong east winds with storm surges in places due to the full moon high tides and wind action. California has had torrential rains and mountain snows, and so has New South Wales in Australia. The snow there is at high elevations in the mountains east of Canberra. It's probably above 20 deg C in the big cities but this is rather cool for Australia in what amounts to June down under.

UPDATE _ Wednesday, 6:30 p.m.

No significant changes to forecast. A few parts of south Dublin and north Wicklow have seen (from reports on boards) 5-10 cms of snow in relatively weak streamers today, and these could continue but will only impact a few places close to the coast, it seems. All the previous forecast comments about severe cold spreading due to high pressure, and the uncertainty of the degree of warmth to follow any partial or complete breakdown (speaking of the weather here, not the forecaster), remain untouched by later model runs.

I could note that the GFS and GEM models continue to be fairly bulllish on warming by late 26th and 27th, whereas the UKMO model sticks to its earlier almost-no-warming-at-all scenario. The ECM, and this may tell the actual story, is slowly backing off its agreement with the milder solutions although has not yet backed down to the extent of the UKMO. The German GME model had been somewhat cold-biased too, and is now closer to the ECM. The wise forecaster, confronted with this array of guidance, would normally apply for several days off.

As I have only myself to consult on that, I will stick with it, even providing at least a daily update through the holiday period, and it's my hope that these relatively quiet if bitterly cold conditions give everyone a better chance to complete their holiday travel plans and be where you need to be and want to be. That will not be a problem here, as it has turned quite mild, and in any case, our version of Christmas was planned to be right here for a change, no long road trip to the beautiful scenery I posted earlier. Maybe in January some time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

I cant see the warming that was forecast previously, it is really cold here, a southerly for a day isn't going to solve this. Was looking at the road temps earlier, no difference between surface, 30cm & 50cm, speaks volumes (well a small %age difference).
    I think the high will hold and the ice is here for another week at least.

Advertisement