Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fire in Douglas - See Mod note in post #506

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

kub wrote: »
    AFAIK Clayton Love lost Douglas Court and Blackpool centres to Nama.

Correct.

Douglas Developments Limited (a subsidiary of the Love family owned Shipton Group) lost control of Douglas Village SC when it was purchased by investment firm Varde Partners as part of the Spectrum portfolio in 2014. It had been put into receivership in 2012 by Bank of Scotland.

Shipton also lost control of Blackpool SC when it was purchased by Varde Partners as part of the Project Acorn portfolio in 2014.

Douglas Village Shopping Centre was developed by Clayton Love in the early 1970s and sold in 1990. The Love family reacquired it (from Owen O’Callaghan) in 1999. They also acquired a lot of property between the two centers (the old CSB/TSB admin building, cinema etc) with a view to linking them and developing hotels etc.

The Wilton Shopping Centre which was developed by the Love family in the 1970s was a sold by them to IPUT in the 1980s. It has a number of subsequent owners, including Tesco. It was sold as part of the Project Hazel portfolio in 2016. Tesco retained ownership of their store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭airy fairy

The engineer that was part of approving the centre as we know it, left the planning office joined Clayton Love....left him after the downturn and went back to planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

Well hopefully we get welcome news on the N28 issue shortly, as for the Douglas flyover, ideally it could do with being widened, but i don't see how.

Doable but it would be a huge (and presumably very expensive) job:

https://menardoceania.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/2014-An-Innovative-Construction-Technique-For-Extensions-To-Existing-Reinforced-Earth-Retaining-Walls.pdf

https://dot.ca.gov/-/media/dot-media/programs/engineering/documents/memotodesigner/9-3-a11y.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

airy fairy wrote: »
    The engineer that was part of approving the centre as we know it, left the planning office joined Clayton Love....left him after the downturn and went back to planning.

Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Mardyke wrote: »
    Ireland.

Is that uniquely Irish or something? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭kub

Whilst not doubting your post, I thought that during the downturn that they were re allocating staff from the planning office to social welfare etc..

Hmmm construction industry, developers, planners where did I come across that before ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Its doable, you could put a third lane westbound (or extend a slip road from the M28 all the way over on a seperate bridge tightly up against the current one). There is easily space for it by knocking like one or two small buildings. Eastbound isn't as much of an issue, as you're limited by the tunnel at the end of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I've heard second hand from one of the traders that they were blocked from moving into Douglas Court by the equivalent trader there, they're afraid of competition. Not confident how accurate that is so wont say what type of trader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Anyone heard if the 1 hour free parking will remain on the cinema site after they close today ?

• Advertisement

Are they knocking the cinema?
    I couldn't imagine they'll leave cars park there while doing any remedial works?
    Will it be a sole Aldi carpark when opened or who owns the carpark there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Dbu

Anyone heard if the 1 hour free parking will remain on the cinema site after they close today ?

Doubtful, and will be another blow to the businesses in the village.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

In fairness it’s six weeks, this is a massive claim..

Odelay wrote: »
    In fairness it’s six weeks, this is a massive claim..

It is, but nothing has happened since, not even the demolition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,942 ✭✭✭✭banie01

TheChizler wrote: »
    I've heard second hand from one of the traders that they were blocked from moving into Douglas Court by the equivalent trader there, they're afraid of competition. Not confident how accurate that is so wont say what type of trader.

Non compete clauses in retail centres are quite common.
    A pharmacist will try and ensure a lease clause stipulating only 1 dispensing chemist in a development and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

What a truly dreadful article. Inaccurate, uninformed rubbish.

BI usually stands for Business Interruption insurance, not "Business Insurance" which if it has any meaning at all would be a totally different thing. In order to pay out under a BI policy, the loss must be quantifiable. The guilty party here appears to be the centre's owners, whose actions differ enormously from their words. (i.e. demolition to start next week....). This is a critical point, as the date of reopening is crucial in quantifying the potential loss to the trader and thereby providing a basis for the calculation of an interim payout. Mention of "full and final compensation payouts" is complete nonsense at this point as these couldn't be calculated until the centre reopens and this just reiterates the sensationalist stupidity of the article. Any payment at this time will be interim.

What is more worrying, and is probably uppermost in the insurer's minds, is the question over whether or not the centre will reopen. Crucially, if the answer to this is no, then the whole ball game changes. Until this question is answered unequivocally, the insurers are entirely correct be very prudent in respect of any payouts, interim or otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

++ above. Absolutely, and the talk about shops relocating is a difficult decision for many of them to take as they are legally tied into long leases (10 yrs plus) in the center anyway.

I wonder are they still being held to paying rent and rates for those units, and does that all fall into the various complicated insurance claims. Each shop may need to in turn claim off the center's insurance.

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/traders-douglas-shopping-centre-cant-17088522
    Traders from Douglas Shopping Centre can't receive any insurance payouts until the owners confirm the length of time it will be shut.

Bosses have previously said that they hope to re-open by summer 2020, but an exact date has never been confirmed.

Apparently the culprit car is being removed this week.
    I can't see the place being opened until end of 2020 at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

Apparently the culprit car is being removed this week.
    I can't see the place being opened until end of 2020 at the earliest.

Has the demolition started yet?

• Advertisement

Well from passing on the link, without rubbernecking, and only seeing as passenger... it looks stationary, no grills down, lights on in either end. Same old, same old.

No

The car that started the fire was hoisted out yesterday on some sort of platform. Word around Douglas was that they were remotely building a support system around it so it could be removed safely, and that's the cause of the delays.

On a seperate note, the bank in Douglas East is suddenly up for sale, is that the same property portfolio as Douglas Village?

Is that the EBS bank?

Is that the EBS bank?
    Not sure. The building that Wetherspoons was supposed to be going in to.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Not sure. The building that Wetherspoons was supposed to be going in to.

BOI were there before. Yes owned by Mr Love as well:D

Dbu wrote: »
    BOI were there before. Yes owned by Mr Love as well:D

Is it him or nama though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Falveys reopened at lunchtime today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Wonder when the gym will open as it has its own entrance kinda similar to the pharmacy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

The gym is actually part of the centre though so I can't imagine it will open before centre opens. Falveys is external...essentially a different building which the centre was built around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

I passed through Douglas earlier....

The place is an absolute mess...

Cars all over the place... Bomb site.....

Nah I'd say nothing has happened.....

Mardyke wrote: »
    I passed through Douglas earlier....

The place is an absolute mess...

Cars all over the place... Bomb site.....

Nah I'd say nothing has happened.....

Has construction of Aldi begun?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

What's the story with the platform yoke sticking out of 1st floor over car park entrance??

TheDriver wrote: »
    What's the story with the platform yoke sticking out of 1st floor over car park entrance??

Is that not where the offending vehicle was removed from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Ahhh that makes sense.

No they took it out the Tesco entrance side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Demolition works commenced yesterday. I was passing about 9:15 this morning and the traffic was backed up nearly as far back as Mahon point. People slowing down to look at what’s going on. I saw at least 3 near misses of rear endings, rain didn’t help either. I think the idea was floated here a few weeks ago that some type of barrier or sight shield needs to be put in place to stop this happening. We are in the Winter season now, they need to do something.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/demolition-of-douglas-shopping-centre-begins-three-months-after-fire-963513.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Tom44

murphym7 wrote: »
    Demolition works commenced yesterday. I was passing about 9:15 this morning and the traffic was backed up nearly as far back as Mahon point. People slowing down to look at what’s going on. I saw at least 3 near misses of rear endings, rain didn’t help either. I think the idea was floated here a few weeks ago that some type of barrier or sight shield needs to be put in place to stop this happening. We are in the Winter season now, they need to do something.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/demolition-of-douglas-shopping-centre-begins-three-months-after-fire-963513.html

Good idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Five cars had managed to rear end each other on the flyover this evening. Wonder if someone was having a gawk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Gru

Five cars had managed to rear end each other on the flyover this evening. Wonder if someone was having a gawk?

It's almost guaranteed. **** those people gawping at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭kub

If people are that interested in construction, perhaps they should get jobs in that sector rather than cause traffic accidents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

Gru wrote: »
    It's almost guaranteed. **** those people gawping at it.

Every day this week these clowns have been causing crawling tailbacks because of their rubbernecking. First couple of days I thought there were accidents but no. Get past the flyover and its plain sailing again. Throw a low sun into the mix with everyone jamming on and its a disaster. Doesn't help with people not realising that driving into the sun the car in front is practically invisible if they don't have their lights on. I watch the cams on www.dunkettle.ie before leaving work from Glanmire and sure as **** from 4 onwards the tailback starts.

As someone posted earlier they need to put up a barrier to block off that section from the dim witted gawpers.

Started going out through Tivoli. Just as fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Heckler wrote: »
    Every day this week these clowns have been causing crawling tailbacks because of their rubbernecking. First couple of days I thought there were accidents but no. Get past the flyover and its plain sailing again. Throw a low sun into the mix with everyone jamming on and its a disaster. Doesn't help with people not realising that driving into the sun the car in front is practically invisible if they don't have their lights on. I watch the cams on www.dunkettle.ie before leaving work from Glanmire and sure as **** from 4 onwards the tailback starts.

As someone posted earlier they need to put up a barrier to block off that section from the dim witted gawpers.

Never knew about the site. Thanks for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

Never knew about the site. Thanks for that

Tis handy if you're taking any of those routes especially around rush hour. That and AA roadwatch. They're normally on the ball as well with any happening incidents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I've emailed Terry Shannon letting him know of my concern and requesting him to bring this up at the city council level. Might be an idea for others to email a few other councillors to get some traction on this. It doesn't take many of these emails to get this raised at the council. My worry here is that as the site gets more "interesting" the rubbernecking will get worse.

• Advertisement

murphym7 wrote: »
    I've emailed Terry Shannon letting him know of my concern and requesting him to bring this up at the city council level. Might be an idea for others to email a few other councillors to get some traction on this. It doesn't take many of these emails to get this raised at the council. My worry here is that as the site gets more "interesting" the rubbernecking will get worse.

I met with Terry Shannon yesterday while on a trip to the Northside, i doubt he'll be interested in anything other than the upcoming by-election on November 29th for his party colleague Padraig O'Sullivan. Give Kieran McCarthy,Mary-Rose Desmond or even Dan Boyle a shout, having dealt with him in a personal capacity he is decent enough. I'll drop him a tweet and tag Terry in it as well.

280 characters wasn't quite enough but i got a tweet across.

https://twitter.com/CorkTruckDriver/status/1196008846617194496?s=20

I met with Terry Shannon yesterday while on a trip to the Northside, i doubt he'll be interested in anything other than the upcoming by-election on November 29th for his party colleague Padraig O'Sullivan. Give Kieran McCarthy,Mary-Rose Desmond or even Dan Boyle a shout, having dealt with him in a personal capacity he is decent enough. I'll drop him a tweet and tag Terry in it as well.

Maybe suggesting everyone contacts their chosen public representative rather than naming or sidelining certain people?

Maybe suggesting everyone contacts their chosen public representative rather than naming or sidelining certain people?

That can be done as well, but as you know some politicians aren't helpful/some are. Each to their own of course. I have my preferences, others have theirs.

Heckler wrote: »

I don't know, there's always been a slowdown there where the road narrows regardless of what's going on in Douglas. Barriers could potentially make it worse as they would make the road seem even narrower.

• Advertisement
Advertisement