Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old TV programmes you liked but no one else remembers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

vektarman wrote: »
    I heard this choo choo tune recently and it reminded me of one of my favourite programmes.

Always remember it being on either the same time (different days) or just after the Lone Ranger

Found a video for anyone interested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Rob Brydon did a series on ITV in 2004 called 'Directors Commentary' which I thought was very funny but it seemed to be forgotten as soon as it was broadcast

It was a pisstake of DVD Directors Commentaries, he does made up Commmentaries on old TV shows in the voice of Peter De Lane

DVDs are pretty much gone now so it was a pisstake of a genre that disappeared soon afterwards. The DVD of Directors Commentary has a Directors Commentary on the show, naturally !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directors_Commentary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Plenty commentaries on Blu-ray Discs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Here's one I liked but I'd imagine a lot wouldn't remember
    The Haunting of Cassie Palmer. Early 80s.

I named a cat after one of the characters.

Here's one I liked but I'd imagine a lot wouldn't remember
    The Haunting of Cassie Palmer. Early 80s.

I named a cat after one of the characters.

A rare one. Only off-air VHS copies survive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Making The Cut, RTE crime series with Sean McGinley that was shown in 1998 or 99. The setting was a bit vague, it was an Irish city that wasn't Dublin or Cork but not sure if it was specified where exactly it was. Could have been Galway or Waterford. It came back for a second series under the name DDU

RTE Guide feature on MTC, it was first shown October 97

75030167_2586330158261925_5042339593173598208_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_oc=AQlirY-ewiqVL5tVfkg77bT4pW107p3UCtDAJaQYubBGO89mDccLaQ9L9_HH7wKpGW8&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=4a3b532f2a6b156d48eff110ecf1923d&oe=5E65406A

74487510_2586330308261910_6898416453238652928_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_oc=AQlwKUKm4H9VievHC8W6-jFQLT4wrd_LdExD5h8vlJT-jn83DM1IjLJZvuZBDFUxi-M&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=35545948112103d1edef03ef52d8b837&oe=5E1834CB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,554 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I don't think that I'll ever be able to see Sean McGinley as anyone but Charlo. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Tony EH wrote: »
    I don't think that I'll ever be able to see Sean McGinley as anyone but Charlo. :pac:

In my case, the priest from The Field

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Chocky (1984-85)

UK series about a 12 year old boy, Matthew, who befriends an alien presence via ESP who all his family and friends except for a girl believes is only in his imagination.

There was a Canadian mini series which RTE showed at a kind of odd slot circa 1990/91. Maybe early on a Sunday morning? Odd because I remember it had liberal use of the F bomb and some adult themes. I can't remember what it was called but it wasn't Degrassi Junior High. All I can recall was that it was set in a small town and focused on a group of Inuit or Red Indian teenagers, a group of them drowned when they drunkenly drove a car on a frozen lake and it went through the ice.

It wasn't Conspiracy Of Silence either (TV movie from 1991) .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,515 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Zzzappp! A magazine show on citv in the 90s. Was a little surreal...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭George White

There was a Canadian mini series which RTE showed at a kind of odd slot circa 1990/91. Maybe early on a Sunday morning? Odd because I remember it had liberal use of the F bomb and some adult themes. I can't remember what it was called but it wasn't Degrassi Junior High. All I can recall was that it was set in a small town and focused on a group of Inuit or Red Indian teenagers, a group of them drowned when they drunkenly drove a car on a frozen lake and it went through the ice.

It wasn't Conspiracy Of Silence either (TV movie from 1991) .
    North of 60?
    Spirit Bay?
    FOUR Directions?

North of 60?
    Spirit Bay?
    FOUR Directions?

Looked up those and it doesn't seem to fit. It wasn't a comedy anyhow. It was pretty dark in tone. There was a focus on racial tension between white and native teens. There was a white liberal mountie who tried to go to the funeral of the drowned kids but a group of older native men wouldn't let him in. Can't remember too much else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭cml387

The BBC Genome project is a great resource for tracking down old BBC programmes you might remember.

One that I can recall vividly is a documentary series called "The British Empire"
    which ran on BBC1 in the early 70's.

Lest you think it was a series that commemorated the glories of empire,it was actually quite the opposite. One scene recreated involved a punishment carried out by the army in India (possibly, my memory of the location is vague) where a miscreant was tied to the front of a field gun and dispatched.

To say it didn't go down well with certain sections of British society is an understatement, questions in parliament, etc.

Finbars class

This isn't a series I remember but a couple of years ago I was half watching an interview on the telly with Colm Meany and a black and white clip was shown of him in some RTE drama that looked like it dated from the early 70's. In it he was breaking into a car and had a kind of teddy boy image, I missed the name of it. does it ring a bell with anyone?

It BeeMee wrote: »
    Anyone remember The Burke Enigma?

Can't find any clips online
    My abiding memory of the final episode is good guy being crushed between a lorry and a wall after being asked to check the lights ...
    Half-remembered minutes of one episode - and then being told to go to bed.

Late '70s. Don't think it's ever been repeated. Ideal for Network DVD to release if RTE would surrender the rights as they clearly have no interest in their archive.

RTE Guide piece on the Burke enigma, November 78. Would I be right in guessing that the Burkes were based on the Dunnes (Of Larry Dunne etc infamy)?

73164329_2600632160165058_1992273348217798656_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_oc=AQmIlIg63b2DB9aqDTyD3REH1lWQHJsyaBsrpuGsmSxOcL_FZ6Bk75nul2uSq5trP5g&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=b8ff39740a2b2b1e5758225727945aa6&oe=5E169B6A

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

cml387 wrote: »
    One that I can recall vividly is a documentary series called "The British Empire"
    which ran on BBC1 in the early 70's.

Not to be confused with The Brittas Empire, also worthy of a mention in this thread
    81YCPvu2DGL._SY445_.jpg

Anyone remember The Templewood Murder Mystery? It was a sort of cheapo whodunnit that was ran as a segment on the Late Late Show for a few weeks circa 94/95. I think maybe there was some sort of audience participation where viewers could try to figure out who the killer was and phone in. Jonathan Ryan did a straight to camera introduction on every "episode" giving his best (or worst) Orson Welles impression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭cml387

The Burke Enigma also explored the association of political parties and organised crime.

It was shot on film with high production values and must still exist in the archives.

It's never been shown since.

• Advertisement

The Burke Enigma also explored the association of political parties and organised crime.

It was shot on film with high production values and must still exist in the archives.

What a waste. RTE would rather it rotted in their archives rather than selling the rights to Network / Simply DVD to release.

There's a very short clip from it on this 2002 RTE documentary so it exists all right.

There's a very short clip from it on this 2002 RTE documentary so it exists all right.

I taped quite a few bits from that RTE Forty Years set of broadcasts.

Here's my upload of A Week In The Life Of Martin Cluxton, directed by Brian Mac Lochlainn who also directed The Burke Enigma.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Not sure if it has been mentioned already but does anyone remember The Spike, a late 1970s RTE produced series set in an Irish secondary school. It was taken off the air after half its run due to protests about its content and has never been rebroadcast since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

“In Like Flynn” was fantastic.
    Really broke up the week, was glued to it every Tuesday night for the three or four years it was on.
    No shortage of leading lady talent and the theme tune was great. One of rte’s better imports in the 80’s!

The Fatheads, a comedy Paul Tylak and Joe Rooney did on Network 2 in the early 90's (91 or 92). I only caught a bit of one episode. They had these kind of exaggerated teddy boy type quiffs. I can't remember much about it but I think they were living together in a house or flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Foxtrotter

Little before my time, but I really like some of the old episodes of What's My Line. some really funny ones on Youtube.

Does anyone remember Sexton Blake And The Demon God? BBC series shown on RTE in 1979. No footage online alas.

517KtDN00uL._SX312_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Doing a retro tournament at the minute if anyone is interested. Might bring back some memories

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058029255/1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Shady Grady

Sanford and Son

Barney Miller

All in the Family

Life and Times of Grizzly Adams

Are my top 4.

The Foo Foo cartoons

B.J. And The Bear, about a truckdriver with a chimp for a buddy. RTE also reran Me And The Chimp which was an earlier show about a guy with a chimp co star. I had the two mixed up in my head for years.

Screen Test. RTE variety talent show that ran circa 1985/86. Presented by Mike Murphy. One of the acts on it were the Stargazers with a young John Spillane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

RTE Guide piece on the Burke enigma, November 78. Would I be right in guessing that the Burkes were based on the Dunnes (Of Larry Dunne etc infamy)?

73164329_2600632160165058_1992273348217798656_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_oc=AQmIlIg63b2DB9aqDTyD3REH1lWQHJsyaBsrpuGsmSxOcL_FZ6Bk75nul2uSq5trP5g&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=b8ff39740a2b2b1e5758225727945aa6&oe=5E169B6A

1970s Love/Hate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

An awful programme called Play The Game. It was based on charades.

• Advertisement

madmaggie wrote: »

It was hugely popular and must have ran for over a decade. Surprised to find that all there is of it online is one short clip of under a minute, and that just seems to be because some obscure comedian who was on it put it up (not David Kelly, the guy who comes on at the end).They had an awful lot of panto/variety types for guests, I remember not having a clue who half of them were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭smilerf

The Lyrics Board
    Cringe fest

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Play the game was cheap broadcasting. It came on due to the success of the UK version with Lionel Blair and the UK version of unknown 'celebs'.

Give is a clue I think it was called

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,554 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

madmaggie wrote: »

Ripped off 'Give us a Clue' from British TV, because we were incapable of coming up with anything ourselves.

Talkabout wasn't original either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Not sure if it has been mentioned already but does anyone remember The Spike, a late 1970s RTE produced series set in an Irish secondary school. It was taken off the air after half its run due to protests about its content and has never been rebroadcast since.

Yes. There was a nude scene through frosted glass...i think. Holy war broke out.

branie2 wrote: »
    Talkabout wasn't original either

They had an even more less impressive pool of contestants that Play The Game. The people who appeared on it were not random punters from what I recall but dull as dishwater small town business people, local "pillar of the community" folk and minor regional showbiz types. At least Play The Game had Derek Davis and the occasional entertaining guest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

what was that pop video show on rte that replaced mt usa?...it featured vox pops from the public before each video?

late 80's me thinks

fryup wrote: »
    what was that pop video show on rte that replaced mt usa?...it featured vox pops from the public before each video?

late 80's me thinks

Video Gaga?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Video Gaga?

Was that not The Beat Box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭allimac

This is one of my favourite TV memories as a child, what I wasn't going to draw with my magic pencil! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxUIQt6jSws
    Also I rememember another eastern European cartoon that RTE showed regularly called Lolek and Bolek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Video Gaga?

no, you're thinking of TV gaga
    Sardonicat wrote: »
    Was that not The Beat Box?

no that was sunday mornings.....the programme i'm thinking of was broadcast on rte2 midweek late at night

fryup wrote: »
    no, you're thinking of TV gaga

no that was sunday mornings.....the programme i'm thinking of was broadcast on rte2 midweek late at night

Electric Orange

branie2 wrote: »
    Electric Orange

Doesn't ring a bell. Googling draws a blank other than a German band of the same name. Who presented it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Foxtrotter wrote: »
    Little before my time, but I really like some of the old episodes of What's My Line. some really funny ones on Youtube.
    the US one has some good celebs, people you would not expect to be on like salvador dali

Sean Connery puts on a voice to stop being recognized

• Advertisement
Advertisement