Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Injured A/R/T Boardsies Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Scholesy1981

There goes the Dublin Marathon for me :( was out doing LSR in the Killarney National Park last weekend and my achilles started playing up, had to pull up and hobble for last 3 miles, went to physio, gave it a rub and reckons its just a light strain. Gonna just go with feeling and see how it is, wont run on it til weekend, and even then if it gives trouble I wont push it, had enough injuries to know the value of patience whilst recuperating, just swimming and cross training til then.
    Be interested to hear from Connundrum and Hot To Trot though about what kind of strength and rehab work they done on their achilles problems and how the recovery period went, length of time, etc. Interested in getting general idea of how others have dealt with the rehab and recovery of this kind of injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Sorry to hear about your new achilles problem.

I havent really been able to rehab mine yet, as i have only just reached past the risk of total rupture a week ago. If I had tried to stretch it , it would have torn apart. Wasnt physically able to do any meaningful strengthening either except for trying to walk without a limp . Which I can do now :D. I walked my first mile in 12 weeks two nights ago. So far so good. I will increase distance and pace and then gradually introduce walking small inclines and when that feels ok I will start doing the heel drop eccentric exercises. Important when doing these that you dont actively lift your heel , that the movment is controlled lowering of the heel over the edge of the step.
    Previous achiles issues... when I had a cyst- i was able to run painfree after the laser so just gradually built it up running , heel drops and some stretching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Scholesy1981

I havent really been able to rehab mine yet, as i have only just reached past the risk of total rupture a week ago. If I had tried to stretch it , it would have torn apart. Wasnt physically able to do any meaningful strengthening either except for trying to walk without a limp . Which I can do now biggrin.gif. I walked my first mile in 12 weeks two nights ago. So far so good. I will increase distance and pace and then gradually introduce walking small inclines and when that feels ok I will start doing the heel drop eccentric exercises. Important when doing these that you dont actively lift your heel , that the movment is controlled lowering of the heel over the edge of the step.
    Previous achiles issues... when I had a cyst- i was able to run painfree after the laser so just gradually built it up running , heel drops and some stretching

Ouch, nasty, that sounds like a bad one. good point about the heel lifts though, I do them, but may have been actively liftin the heel too much in the past.

I think I may have increased my mileage too much lately, having done Dingle half and trying to make it for Dublin, oh well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Resigned to missing the half on Sat. Achilles still not right. An improvement over the last couple of days but nowhere near 100%. Taking it day by day at this stage. Hoping to be OK for the Rathfarnham 5k -Sun week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

I havent really been able to rehab mine yet, as i have only just reached past the risk of total rupture a week ago. If I had tried to stretch it , it would have torn apart. Wasnt physically able to do any meaningful strengthening either except for trying to walk without a limp . Which I can do now :D. I walked my first mile in 12 weeks two nights ago. So far so good. I will increase distance and pace and then gradually introduce walking small inclines and when that feels ok I will start doing the heel drop eccentric exercises. Important when doing these that you dont actively lift your heel , that the movment is controlled lowering of the heel over the edge of the step.
    Previous achiles issues... when I had a cyst- i was able to run painfree after the laser so just gradually built it up running , heel drops and some stretching.

oh dear, it sounds bad :(
    Can you explain the heel drop? I think I have done it wrongly, which might explain the dull ache I now feel in the other foot (that and being on my feet a lot yesterday, even with the crutch it gets its fair deal of weight)
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

There goes the Dublin Marathon for me :( was out doing LSR in the Killarney National Park last weekend and my achilles started playing up, had to pull up and hobble for last 3 miles, went to physio, gave it a rub and reckons its just a light strain. Gonna just go with feeling and see how it is, wont run on it til weekend, and even then if it gives trouble I wont push it, had enough injuries to know the value of patience whilst recuperating, just swimming and cross training til then.
    Be interested to hear from Connundrum and Hot To Trot though about what kind of strength and rehab work they done on their achilles problems and how the recovery period went, length of time, etc. Interested in getting general idea of how others have dealt with the rehab and recovery of this kind of injury.

At the min I've a problem with my achilles and the muscle at the top of my calf (can't remember it's name atm).

I've to do no exercise at all this week, keep it elevated. Ice/Heat it for 12 minute spells where possible.

I've to do very minimal stretches with the foot and calf. Additionally, physio has suggested rolling my bare foot over a glof ball, this will loosen up tendons in the foot which will aid with the healing process.

I'm kind of frustrated as I'm at nothing since IM Galway.. well nothing except eating everything around me :(

My physio is a guy who works out of a gym and I do wonder if I should see someone else who might refer a scan or other treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭aigster

connundrum wrote: »

At the min I've a problem with my achilles and the muscle at the top of my calf (can't remember it's name atm).

I've to do no exercise at all this week, keep it elevated. Ice/Heat it for 12 minute spells where possible.

I've to do very minimal stretches with the foot and calf. Additionally, physio has suggested rolling my bare foot over a glof ball, this will loosen up tendons in the foot which will aid with the healing process.

I'm kind of frustrated as I'm at nothing since IM Galway.. well nothing except eating everything around me :(

My physio is a guy who works out of a gym and I do wonder if I should see someone else who might refer a scan or other treatment.

if it's badly injured ... You probly know your toast... But ... If it's ok i'd reccomend gettin ankle suppourts called pro sport/ made by scholl ( eBay/ chemists) I've allways had niggly Achilles as I've frat feet ...wear em all time and great suppourt .
    Hope it not as bad as you feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I'm on the bench for another couple of weeks at least:( but maybe it'll force me to learn to swim properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

littlebug wrote: »
    I'm on the bench for another couple of weeks at least:( but maybe it'll force me to learn to swim properly.

Sorry to hear that littlebug:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Ok,i need some convincing to carry on at this point.......

ITB issue has gone to 2 legs now,very slight PT as well,my knee's feel like they are fooked.....New runners have to wait till November,going to go to Runways in Dublin,nearest recommended shop to me even though it is 1.5 hrs by car!

Currently not running at all and half considering stopping as paying out 50 euro a session to my physio is costly for me,these injuries do need fixing though so has to be done..

My question is has anyone had knocks like these and how long did they take to recover???

Most i ever got to was 5km and 5 mile training...should i just give up or keep going to get sorted for the spring???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Think I'm cured:) No reaction from 3 miles yesterday or 5 miles today. 5k race for next weekend is back on.

gerard65 wrote: »
    Think I'm cured:) No reaction from 3 miles yesterday or 5 miles today. 5k race for next weekend is back on.

Congrats on the achilles holding up. Nice to hear some good news. Not to be negative .... but are you sure this 5k isn't a bit too soon ? There's a difference in intensity from a 5 mile run and a 5k race. I worry about shorter races as higher risk for injury.

dahat wrote: »
    Ok,i need some convincing to carry on at this point.......

ITB issue has gone to 2 legs now,very slight PT as well,my knee's feel like they are fooked.....New runners have to wait till November,going to go to Runways in Dublin,nearest recommended shop to me even though it is 1.5 hrs by car!

Currently not running at all and half considering stopping as paying out 50 euro a session to my physio is costly for me,these injuries do need fixing though so has to be done..

My question is has anyone had knocks like these and how long did they take to recover???

Most i ever got to was 5km and 5 mile training...should i just give up or keep going to get sorted for the spring???

Well, with ITBS it took me a while - months before I was completely clear. But stretching religiously I was gradually able to run longer and longer. The thing is that I stopped as soon as the ITB gave me any trouble at all. The other thing to remember is that you tend to get other problems developing as compensate for the original injury. I'd talk to the physio about some plan/timeframe going forward... maybe reduce the sessions ... maybe some cross training to keep your fitness up. Hang in there.

I may finally be on the way back. Completed a few short runs last week and a slow 9 mile run with the club on Saturday and while I was sore after it I survived. I was fully expecting to bail out and take a bus home at some point. I'm spending about 40 minutes post run stretching (let's see how long that lasts!) but while the problems remain, and I am horrifically out of shape, 10lbs over weight (how did that happen :eek:), things are getting better now I am being more patient. Taking it very very slowly. As my autumn races are a bust there is no reason to take an risks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

9 mile run! Delighted for you pgmcpq. You are right to take the sensible approach. Im the same- now that all my racing plans for the rest of the year are scuppered I am focusing on taking the time to recover properly and not rush into upping the distance too soon.

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Well, with ITBS it took me a while - months before I was completely clear. But stretching religiously I was gradually able to run longer and longer. The thing is that I stopped as soon as the ITB gave me any trouble at all. The other thing to remember is that you tend to get other problems developing as compensate for the original injury. I'd talk to the physio about some plan/timeframe going forward... maybe reduce the sessions ... maybe some cross training to keep your fitness up. Hang in there.

Seems that i am getting other knocks related to it so have stopped completely now,going to talk to my physio as you said and see what see says...
    Just bloody hard not doing anything when i was getting a buzz going from it

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

Good to read some positive outcomes!

2 weeks on and I am none the wiser. The physio believes I had bone bruising on the outside of my heel bone, and after the ultrasounds this is better. But... the inner side of the foot is horribly painful, while it didn't bother me at all before. Seems that I have replaced the other injury by a new one, without even moving off my couch. The more I rest, the more painful it gets so I'll try to keep moving, but I can only drag my foot for a few yards before my whole body feels too tense to move any further.
    Now the physio is sending me to have some blood tests (to search for inflamation) and MRI. :(

I was hoping to go back to running soon, now I only wish I could walk without pain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Well apart from a child running out in front of me as i cycled home, scaring the life out of me as i braked like mad (big thanks to the father for roaring abuse at me for cycling through a green light - shame on me) and dropping a siccors sharp side up on my ankle, an uneventful 2.5 miles on grass.

Left foot a little sore (1 out of 10) so off to physio tomorrow night to discover more and hopefully good news.

Bally8 wrote: »
    9 mile run! Delighted for you pgmcpq. You are right to take the sensible approach. Im the same- now that all my racing plans for the rest of the year are scuppered I am focusing on taking the time to recover properly and not rush into upping the distance too soon.

Sensible ? That's not like me ... maybe I should lie down !
    Yes, good to be back out there even if my running looks a bit like my moves on the dance floor back in the 80s :o.
    Your swimming is coming along nicely. I'm tempted to follow your example and get lessons. I've started to swim a bit ... finding it very hard !
    Nanazolie wrote: »
    2 weeks on and I am none the wiser. The physio believes I had bone bruising on the outside of my heel bone, and after the ultrasounds this is better. But... the inner side of the foot is horribly painful, while it didn't bother me at all before. Seems that I have replaced the other injury by a new one, without even moving off my couch. The more I rest, the more painful it gets so I'll try to keep moving, but I can only drag my foot for a few yards before my whole body feels too tense to move any further.
    Now the physio is sending me to have some blood tests (to search for inflamation) and MRI. :(

I was hoping to go back to running soon, now I only wish I could walk without pain

You had mentioned earlier that you were spending time on your feet ? It may be that tensing against the discomfort might be causing some of the other problems. For example I keep tensing my left leg against the pain in my hip - the result is that I have aggravated a long standing problem in my left knee because there is no "give" in when I land. I'd beware forcing yourself to do anything that feel unnatural. It's frustrating but keep the faith and see what the MRI has to day. It's easy to imagine the worst (course I always do myself but ...)

• Advertisement

Right............turns out my knee pain is really 2 super tight quads which took some work to get out!!
    Quite painfull as i thought my knee cap was going to pop at 1 point.....

So now we have stretching,ITB rolling and squats,getting some gel type insoles for my everyday shoes.Hopefully these work as i don't really want to hand out for Orthotics if we can find a solution through other methods.
    Going to use the insoles in my Lunar Eclipes and see if it helps with the PT and over pronation issues if not it is off to Runways for some seriously structed and cushioned running shoes..

Feel a bit better now as she is adamant that when i am loosened out i will be fine....

Right............turns out my knee pain is really 2 super tight quads which took some work to get out!!

So now we have stretching,ITB rolling and squats,getting some gel type insoles for my everyday shoes.Hopefully these work as i don't really want to hand out for Orthotics if we can find a solution through other methods.
    Going to use the insoles in my Lunar Eclipes and see if it helps with the PT and over pronation issues if not it is off to Runways for some seriously structed and cushioned running shoes..

Feel a bit better now as she is adamant that when i am loosened out i will be fine....

Good to hear. I am finding the stretching is making a big difference - though have to be careful with any area already injured.

What's the thinking behind the insoles for the everyday shoes ?

What's the thinking behind the insoles for the everyday shoes ?

Well more for work shoes really,should have said that,they are steel toe cap ones and shocking quality so i need some sort of support and cushioing in them.

http://www.p2d.co.uk/acatalog/info_AE40663.html

These are what i am after ordering,refunded from work of course!........

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Careful there - that is what knocked me out :(
    Been off the road now on and off for most of half of the year. Numerous physios - most of any spare cash I had. In my case though my kneecap did pop - and kept popping, won't stay in the damn track now.
    Doing the same as you - have all the exercises and plan to slowly go back out in a week or two - well - whenever I get the nerve. Been on and off the road so much that the pleasure I used to get is a distant memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭daveboy01

I'm currently ramping up towards the New York Marathon in just under 6 weeks. I've been training well and looking forward to this all year and I'm hoping now it's not all scuppered.
    All was going swimmingly until last weekend and the half marathon in the Phoenix Park. I pushed myself a bit more than usual and felt a bit of soreness in my achilles. Didn't run again til Tuesday evening when I did a 5 mile run. All was fine-ish til about a mile from home when my achilles went and I hobbled home.
    Got an appointment with a physio on Wednesday (she came highly recommended and seemed to know her stuff). She diagnosed a light achilles strain (grade 1), gave it a good massage, and showed me some exercises. I have to admit I've never been the most diligent at stretching and warming up or down. She said I could attempt a run this weekend.
    So I was feeling good that it was healing but this morning I had to run to catch a bus and my achilles did not feel good at all.
    Now panicking about New York. After looking forward to it for so long I'll be raging if this niggle puts a spanner in the works :(

daveboy01 wrote: »
    I'm currently ramping up towards the New York Marathon in just under 6 weeks. I've been training well and looking forward to this all year and I'm hoping now it's not all scuppered.
    All was going swimmingly until last weekend and the half marathon in the Phoenix Park. I pushed myself a bit more than usual and felt a bit of soreness in my achilles. Didn't run again til Tuesday evening when I did a 5 mile run. All was fine-ish til about a mile from home when my achilles went and I hobbled home.
    Got an appointment with a physio on Wednesday (she came highly recommended and seemed to know her stuff). She diagnosed a light achilles strain (grade 1), gave it a good massage, and showed me some exercises. I have to admit I've never been the most diligent at stretching and warming up or down. She said I could attempt a run this weekend.
    So I was feeling good that it was healing but this morning I had to run to catch a bus and my achilles did not feel good at all.
    Now panicking about New York. After looking forward to it for so long I'll be raging if this niggle puts a spanner in the works :(

Let the damn bus go !! Seriously - not running until the weekend really means "do not stress the injury" until the weekend.
    Best of luck. I have had to resign myself to missing NY (luckily it's my "local" marathon so there was no trip involved) and know how it feels. You're a long way off anything that drastic at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭daveboy01

Let the damn bus go !! Seriously - not running until the weekend really means "do not stress the injury" until the weekend.
    Best of luck. I have had to resign myself to missing NY (luckily it's my "local" marathon so there was no trip involved) and know how it feels. You're a long way off anything that drastic at this stage.

Thanks for the words of encouragement pgmcpq - and yes I should have just let the bus go!
    Going to try and get some ice on it over the weekend and attempt a 4-5 miles run on Sunday - fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

And ensure you do the stretches and exercises she asks you to - vitally important....

And ensure you do the stretches and exercises she asks you to - vitally important....

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Great to have this tread. Don't feel like i'm alone.

Im training for Dublin Marathon (first marathon), doing Hal Higdon Novice 1 training plan. All was going well until last weekend during half marathon. Felt a pain in my ankle about 5/6 miles into the run. Kept running and forgot about it. About five minutes after i finished, i couldn't walk on it. Hobbled up to my car in despair, worried for Dublin.

Have not ran since half marathon, missed one full week for training including my 18 mile LSR tomorrow. All week, i have tried to rest it when i can, put ice on it, have been wearing compression socks all week (in bed aswell) and have been taking as much Nurofen as i am allowed to.

Has gotten alot better since last Sunday, i can walk on it now, but still tender. Feel like i'm a long way from running on it.

Have a physio appointment tomorrow morning. Only took up running 18 months ago and can't believe, how frustrating this has me.

If i miss another week, maybe Dublin won't happen for me. Have already been looking up foreign marathons in November/December in case the worst happens.

Advertisement