Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ear to the ground

Options
  • 31-10-2019 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,173 ✭✭✭✭

New series starting now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

whelan2 wrote: »
    New series starting now

Just back
    Was it any good? Worth a watch on +1

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Zeebsisgone654

Dumbed down farming, utter rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Darragh telling us how to save hay. Riveting stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Ear to the ground.once a great program,sadly no longer

• Registered Users Posts: 21,156 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Problem for many agri programming incl local radio is, they are tied to sponsors.
    ETTG now sponsored by Tesco. The conflict of interest is obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

PoorFarmer wrote: »
    Darragh telling us how to save hay. Riveting stuff

Question.

Hay cut with a Rotary mower tedded immediately after cutting.

or

Hay cut with a conditioner mower - tedded the following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Question.

Hay cut with a Rotary mower tedded immediately after cutting.

or

Hay cut with a conditioner mower - tedded the following day.

Option 2 if not put in rows

• Registered Users Posts: 21,156 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It would tell you the big diff in rainfall between Dublin and the West. Not a chance of making baled hay every year, down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Option 2 if not put in rows

Thank you.

So it is not advisable to scatter the row out on the same day it is cut by a conditioner mower (cut approx. 11.30am) . We got caught out by the weather on the 5th day this year, and I wondered if it had been spread out after the mower, could it have been baled a day earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,075 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Thank you.

So it is not advisable to scatter the row out on the same day it is cut by a conditioner mower (cut approx. 11.30am) . We got caught out by the weather on the 5th day this year, and I wondered if it had been spread out after the mower, could it have been baled a day earlier.

I'd say spread it immediately after cutting if the mower didn't spread it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Water John wrote: »
    It would tell you the big diff in rainfall between Dublin and the West. Not a chance of making baled hay every year, down here.

The Ennis boys are at the hay game since the 70s in the Naul and supplied Purcell for the boats and Dublin zoo, hardy men who work hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kk.man

Thank you.

You should have been able to to make it on day 5 if you got the weather and the field was in hay the previous year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭alps

Great farming panel and discussion in radio 1 late debate tonight. Thomas Duffy from macra is an incredible performer.

We've been lacking a capable media rep for a long time.. hopecully hell have time to fill some more slots..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

spread there and then

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Aravo

If I was unsure of the weather I would bale as haulage. Great stuff to have. And they hold very well. Treated like gold here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

The Ennis boys are at the hay game since the 70s in the Naul and supplied Purcell for the boats and Dublin zoo, hardy men who work hard.

Some boys to bale and shift straw.
    Did a couple harvests up around the Ward about 15 years ago. Ennis brothers were some operation back then.

2 or 3 baling big squares. 2 lifting 8 bales at a time. 1 on volvo stacking. Eating through fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Got a chance to watch it back on the Player online.

You have to wonder who the target audience is for ETTG, anyone actively involved in farming got nothing from that episode at all.

They covered three topics;

Brexit - stupid people believed the lies and now their business is at risk they regret it.

Hay - it’s made from dry grass and you need sunny weather.

Beef Protests - it divided beef farmers and nobody can say if much was achieved, while prices continue to fall

I think the presenters are capable of far more, but probably someone above that wants a “farming for donnybrook” style program.

Honestly it’s hard to see it worth making much effort to watch another episode.

_Brian wrote: »
    Got a chance to watch it back on the Player online.

You have to wonder who the target audience is for ETTG, anyone actively involved in farming got nothing from that episode at all.

They covered three topics;

Brexit - stupid people believed the lies and now their business is at risk they regret it.

Hay - it’s made from dry grass and you need sunny weather.

Beef Protests - it divided beef farmers and nobody can say if much was achieved, while prices continue to fall

I think the presenters are capable of far more, but probably someone above that wants a “farming for donnybrook” style program.

Honestly it’s hard to see it worth making much effort to watch another episode.

They seem to be able to pull the viewers that they wouldn't get if the did technical.
    The mii guy made it plain that they'd lose customers before they'd give in to farmers and the customers they put off won't be as sympathetic the next time.
    That was putting down a marker for those at the gates, they know the risks now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kk.man

wrangler wrote: »
    They seem to be able to pull the viewers that they wouldn't get if the did technical.
    The mii guy made it plain that they'd lose customers before they'd give in to farmers and the customers they put off won't be as sympathetic the next time.
    The CEO of Bord Bia was asked recently was any custom lost as result of the protests and her reply was she wasn't aware of any loss of business.
    I take MII with a grain of salt at this stage.

kk.man wrote: »
    The CEO of Bord Bia was asked recently was any custom lost as result of the protests and her reply was she wasn't aware of any loss of business.
    I take MII with a grain of salt at this stage.

Did that farmer at the end actually have any beef cattle when he was threatening to keep the clusterfock mess going.
    Can't wait to see it again on RTE Player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

Did that farmer at the end actually have any beef cattle when he was threatening to keep the clusterfock mess going.
    Can't wait to see it again on RTE Player

You do realise that the farmer producing the calf is the first link in the production chain. All slaughtered animals have been calves at some stage.

You do realise that the farmer producing the calf is the first link in the production chain. All slaughtered animals have been calves at some stage.

and weanlings never stopped being sold while those with beef cattle weren't let sell, yea that's very fair alright,
    If they weren't so selfish they'd keep their own cattle out of the marts in support for the eight weeks.
    I'd say that happened alright

• Registered Users Posts: 6,788 ✭✭✭amacca

and weanlings never stopped being sold while those with beef cattle weren't let sell, yea that's very fair alright,
    If they weren't so selfish they'd keep their own cattle out of the marts in support for the eight weeks.
    I'd say that happened alright

I'd have to agree with you on that........divided they'll fall etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

Arra yeah, but sure there's no point in sending animals in at a loss. Basically feck the factories and feck the customers. In any other business if your customers wanted you to sell your product to them at below cost you'd wouldn't be long telling them where to go.

lalababa wrote: »
    Arra yeah, but sure there's no point in sending animals in at a loss. Basically feck the factories and feck the customers. In any other business if your customers wanted you to sell your product to them at below cost you'd wouldn't be long telling them where to go.

And you wouldn't block the gates to stop others selling to them though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

lalababa wrote: »

The flip side is in any other business if you paid your suppliers below cost, they would stop producing...
    Not so with farming :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Would Daragh be the weakest of the three presenters ?
    I find him the hardest to listen to anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

I wouldn't block gates no. I might stand near the road with a placard. But I wouldn't block gates. Twould be in my eyes unlawful, and ****ty on those that want to sell animals or are hauling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mod note: Folks, the blockade discussion thread is linked below, I think it would be best if that conversation was kept in that thread.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=111657429#post111657429

Thanks in advance,

Buford T. Justice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,173 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Some boys to bale and shift straw.
    Did a couple harvests up around the Ward about 15 years ago. Ennis brothers were some operation back then.

2 or 3 baling big squares. 2 lifting 8 bales at a time. 1 on volvo stacking. Eating through fields.
    Oh worked for them 30 years ago. Sound people

Advertisement